PDA

View Full Version : Question: How many Spurs are in the Basketball Hall of Fame

spurs4real
06-14-2007, 12:44 PM
does anyone know how many ex-spurs players are in the hall of fame.

I can only think of oneL George Gervin

I know theres like 2 more I think. Any help?

Strike
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I think it's just Gervin.

But Robinson's eligibility comes up very soon. If he's not a 1st ballot entry, I'll be pissed.

SenorSpur
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Gervin is currently the only one. Not for long though. 5-0 will be up for induction in '08.

spurs4real
06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
ah, i got it.

George Gervin, Moses Malone, and Dominique Wilkins

Spurminator
Don't forget Moses Malone and Dominique Wilkins.

spurs4real
thanks

hater
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
future HOFs:
Robinson
Duncan
Manu
Parker

Strike
06-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Moses Malone played for the Spurs?

Also, I don't really count 'Nique since he played the bulk of his career in Atlanta and played his last nba season with Orlando.

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Bowen and Horry to be in HOF?

I know this is debateable.

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2007, 12:53 PM
future HOFs:
Robinson
Duncan
Manu
Parker

Parker is a HOFer when Steve Kerr is a HOFem. Manu only gets in cause his International accomplishments. If Nique barely got in Parker doesn't have a chance.

hater
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Parker is a HOFer when Steve Kerr is a HOFem. Manu only gets in cause his International accomplishments. If Nique barely got in Parker doesn't have a chance.

you forget Parker is 25. he has a long career ahead of him(knock on wood). he has also been improving every year and he is also an international star.

international stars have easier chance to get into HOF.

he does stand a change, a good chance.

Strike
06-14-2007, 12:56 PM
If Nique barely got in Parker doesn't have a chance.
Huh? He's only 25 and already one of the best point guards in the league! Not to mention one game away from his 3rd ring!

Unless he pulls a Terrell Brandon, he shouldn't have much trouble getting into the hall.

hater
06-14-2007, 12:56 PM
BTW, Parker today >>>>>>>> Kerr anytime in his career

I can't even beleive you compared Kerr to Parker :donkey

Spurminator
06-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Actually I think you could EVENTUALLY make a case for Parker based on players like James Worthy and Robert Parrish making it in. There is precedent for All-Star players on teams that were dominant over a long period of time.

Though I do think he needs a couple of All-NBA selections to help his cause.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 01:00 PM
international stars have easier chance to get into HOF.
hmm explain that one to me again? why is it easier for international stars??

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Popovich is a shoe in as well.

AJ might get in, since he appears to be a pretty decent coach, minus these few first hiccups .

/on edit I guess that means Larry Brown and George Karl as well too.

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Huh? He's only 25 and already one of the best point guards in the league! Not to mention one game away from his 3rd ring!

Hence the Kerr comparison, he has 5 and he won't get in. It's harder to get into the Basketball HOF than most people think.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
hmm explain that one to me again? why is it easier for international stars??

this was discussed yesterday in Hollinger chat:
TP (DC): Given Ginobili's international and NBA success, is he a HOFer?

John Hollinger: (4:30 PM ET ) The way the Hall of Fame "works", international players have an incredible advantage, which is why Drazen freaking Petrovic is in there but Artis Gilmore isn't. Don't get me started on the Hall of Fame, actually, it's become a joke. Ginobili will waltz right in based on his passport alone.

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Hence the Kerr comparison, he has 5 and he won't get in. It's harder to get into the Basketball HOF than most people think.

If Parker wins the finals MVP he's a lock to get in the hall. I think that award more than any combination of allstar appearances 1st team ballots alone would lock any player into the hall of fame.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM

so Horry surely should be in it because he will have 7 rings? :elephant

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM

John Hollinger: (4:30 PM ET ) The way the Hall of Fame "works", international players have an incredible advantage, which is why Drazen freaking Petrovic is in there but Artis Gilmore isn't. Don't get me started on the Hall of Fame, actually, it's become a joke. Ginobili will waltz right in based on his passport alone.

Parker doesn't have the international success that Ginobili does. Gino was the face of the team that took out the Dream team. So he's in

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2007, 01:08 PM
If Parker wins the finals MVP he's a lock to get in the hall. I think that award more than any combination of allstar appearances 1st team ballots alone would lock any player into the hall of fame.

So Chauncey Billups should be in the hall of fame?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 01:09 PM

John Hollinger: (4:30 PM ET ) The way the Hall of Fame "works", international players have an incredible advantage, which is why Drazen freaking Petrovic is in there but Artis Gilmore isn't. Don't get me started on the Hall of Fame, actually, it's become a joke. Ginobili will waltz right in based on his passport alone.IF Ginobili gets in, it will be because he is the only person to have won an NBA championship, an Olympic Golden medal and an European championship. You call that waltzing in?

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:09 PM
So Chauncey Billups should be in the hall of fame?

Every Finals MVP should get it. Chauncey Billups is no exception.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:10 PM
IF Ginobili gets in, it will be because he is the only person to have won an NBA championship, an Olympic Golden medal and an European championship. You call that waltzing in?

I would not call it waltzing in. I just said it is a proven fact that internationals have better chance. you can deny that fact if you want, it's your life

Mr. Body
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Drazen Petrovic never accomplished the half dozen things Manu Ginobili did in his career.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Every Finals MVP should get it. Chauncey Billups is no exception.are you serious?

Spurminator
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Not necessarily.

Signed,

Dennis Johnson
5-time All Star and 1979 Finals MVP

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:13 PM
are you serious?

Why is that such a big deal, How long has the NBA been around? 50+ years? Thats 50 finals MVPs. And most of those include repeat MVPs. I think that is setting the standard pretty fucking high don't you?

Or is getting the finals MVP just a walk in the park?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Why is that such a big deal, How long has the NBA been around? 50+ years? Thats 50 finals MVPs. And most of those include repeat MVPs. I think that is setting the standard pretty fucking high don't you?

Or is getting the finals MVP just a walk in the park?Its not a walk in the park, but winning the finals MVP doesn't necessarily mean you're HOF material IMO. I think it should take more than that.

Spurminator
06-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Cedric Maxwell has no business within 50 miles of the Basketball HOF.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

so do you also think Slam Dunk champion should be automatic in HOF :elephant

samikeyp
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM
The way the Hall of Fame "works", international players have an incredible advantage, which is why Drazen freaking Petrovic is in there but Artis Gilmore isn't

Total bullshit Gilmore not being in there.

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Its not a walk in the park, but winning the finals MVP doesn't necessarily mean you're HOF material IMO. I think it should take more than that.

If you want it to be more than that then it should be Playoff MVP and not just for the finals. The East being this weak is an exceptional circumstance I will grant you that, but leading your team to a championship in any given year is the hardest thing for a player to ever accomplish. If Parker is given the finals MVP or earns it tonight, even if most spurs fans realize Duncan is the true MVP, than he belongs in the HOF.

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
so do you also think Slam Dunk champion should be automatic in HOF :elephant

Wow you just equated an NBA finals MVP to a slam dunk championship? That's your argument? WEAK. turn off your computer and turn it in. You don't belong here.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow you just equated an NBA finals MVP to a slam dunk championship? That's your argument? WEAK. turn off your computer and turn it in. You don't belong here.

LOL I was being sarcastic because youre argument is WEAK itself. Being finals MVP once doesn't mean shit. should Wade be automatic for HOF? Billups? gimme a break :drunk

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
If you want it to be more than that then it should be Playoff MVP and not just for the finals. The East being this weak is an exceptional circumstance I will grant you that, but leading your team to a championship in any given year is the hardest thing for a player to ever accomplish. If Parker is given the finals MVP or earns it tonight, even if most spurs fans realize Duncan is the true MVP, than he belongs in the HOF.:lol says who? you? I love TP but right now, he doesn't belong in HOF. Even if he does win the MVP, he still doesn't belong in the HOF. Still, he's 25, by the time he's retired he could very well be elegible, who's to say. Right now, the only sure fire hall of famer in the Spurs is Duncan.

EDIT: Actually, Horry is pretty much assured as well I think

SilverPlayer
06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
LOL I was being sarcastic because youre argument is WEAK itself. Being finals MVP once doesn't mean shit. should Wade be automatic for HOF? Billups? gimme a break :drunk

In the metric of calculating hall of fame points... If you have to earn say 1000 points to be considered hall of fame material it should be worth something like this:

Finals MVP: 700
Championship: 100
MVP: 800
DPOY: 600
Allstar: 75
1st Team: 100
2nd Team: 50
3rd Team: 25

Averaging 20+ pts for 10 years: 200
Averaging 8+ rbs or 6+ asts for 10 years: 200
etc.

WalterBenitez
06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
TIM Duncan will be ...

Tony if he continue improving for sure

Manu ?

Bruce ... I'd love to .. great defender, good attitude and great performance @ 36 years old.

Marcus Bryant
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Parker's only 25. Assuming 8 to 9 more seasons of play with him peaking around age 30 he should be able to rack up the necessary individual accomplishments (All-NBA Team membership, routine All-Star appearances, etc...) to gain entry into the Hall.

Damn, DRob should be eligible for induction consideration next year.

fyatuk
06-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Moses Malone played for the Spurs?

Also, I don't really count 'Nique since he played the bulk of his career in Atlanta and played his last nba season with Orlando.

You don't remember that? 94-95 season, that's it for Moses.

Then again, he only played in 17 games apparently, all in the early part of the season. And he averaged less than 9 minutes a game... So yeah, I guess that was forgettable.

SRJ
06-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Moses also hit a length of the court shot at the end of the first quarter on his 40th birthday. See, he did something while playing for the Spurs.

BIG IRISH
06-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Popovich is a shoe in as well.

AJ might get in, since he appears to be a pretty decent coach, minus these few first hiccups .

/on edit I guess that means Larry Brown and George Karl as well too.
If the little snake in the grass gets in it would be as a coach. He should
give thanks every day that they let him play in the NBA.

ForeignFan
06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Drazen Petrovic never accomplished the half dozen things Manu Ginobili did in his career.

I doubt this. Petrovic was a real, real star. His career in Europe and with Yougoslavia was amazing.

PS: I think Bodiroga would have made it as well had he not decided to stay in Europe.

ForeignFan
06-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Reasons why I am not sure Manu accomplished half of what Petrovic did :

Accomplishments and awards / Drazen Petrovic

Club competitions

Year Competition Achievement Club

1982 Korać Cup Finalist BC Šibenka
1983 Korać Cup Finalist BC Šibenka
1985 European Cup Winner BC Cibona
1985 Yugoslavian Championship Winner BC Cibona
1985 Yugoslavian Cup Winner BC Cibona
1986 European Cup Winner BC Cibona
1986 Yugoslavian Championship Finalist BC Cibona
1986 Yugoslavian Cup Winner BC Cibona
1987 European Cup Winners Cup Winner BC Cibona
1987 Yugoslavian Championship Finalist BC Cibona
1988 Yugoslavian Cup Winner BC Cibona
1988 Korać Cup Finalist BC Cibona
1989 Spanish Cup Winner Real Madrid
1989 Spanish Championship Finalist Real Madrid
1989 European Cup Winners Cup Winner Real Madrid
1990 NBA Playoffs Finalist Portland Trail Blazers

YUBA most points scored by an individual in a league game (112)
ACB most points scored by an individual in a final series game (42)
ACB most 3PT field goals made by an individual in a final series game (8)
NBA 1992 field goal percentage leader among guards (1st)
NBA 1993 field goal percentage leader among guards (1st)
NBA most 3PT field goals made with none missed in a three-game playoff series (tied with 2)
NBA All-Time 3PT field goal percentage leader (3rd)

National teams

Year Event Host Placement Country

1984 Olympic Games Los Angeles, United States 3rd SFR Yugoslavia
1986 World Championship Madrid, Spain 3rd SFR Yugoslavia
1987 Eurobasket Athens, Greece 3rd SFR Yugoslavia
1988 Olympic Games Seoul, South Korea 2nd SFR Yugoslavia
1989 Eurobasket Zagreb, SFR Yugoslavia 1st SFR Yugoslavia
1990 World Championship Buenos Aires, Argentina 1st SFR Yugoslavia
1992 Olympic Games Barcelona, Spain 2nd Croatia

World Championship 1986 MVP
European Championship 1989 MVP

ImpartialObserver
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Dennis Rodman yet. If he doesn't get in, then they should just shut it down.