PDA

View Full Version : The real overlooked guy: Pop

flipcritic
06-15-2007, 01:36 AM
C'mon guys who were calling for his head (y'know who you are). Give him his due. Once he's gone, it'll be flooding in San Antonio from all the tears.

I can't believe they didn't interview him on the podium.

sprrs
06-15-2007, 01:39 AM
C'mon guys who were calling for his head (y'know who you are). Give him his due. Once he's gone, it'll be flooding in San Antonio from all the tears.

I can't believe they didn't interview him on the podium.

No doubt Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all-time. He's done so much for the team, from instilling a strong defensive philosophy to setting a professional, classy example for the franchise. And let's not forget 4 championships.
:toast

csl24
06-15-2007, 01:41 AM
I always belived he was over looked. Just listen to the players speak of him in glowing ways. Pop is 4-0 in the finals he has outcoached every team he has faced. He's not a zen nut like Phil Jackson or a media whore like Pat Reilly, he is straight up, a fantastic basketball coach and motivator.

T Park
06-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Long time Pop homer since 1997 checking in here :)

raspsa
06-15-2007, 04:37 AM
I thought he showed his class once again by inserting Finley in the last few minutes. No doubt he wanted good FT shooters in the game but I also think he wanted MF to savor winning a championship on the court and not sitting on the bench. Great job Pop!!

spurscenter
06-15-2007, 05:10 AM
yea they didnt ask him a question. phil would of been asked like 20 but you know what, POP loves that.

florige
06-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Knowing Pop they probably asked him to be interviewed and he declined.

boutons_
06-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Without Pop and the organizational culture he's built, Tim's trophy case could look like Garnett's.

ggoose25
06-15-2007, 07:49 AM
I'll hand it to Pop. He is a great coach. I'm just glad we have him and not Mike Brown. That guy really needs to go back to coaching school

spurster
06-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes, Pop has won 4 championships, but it would have been more with Bob Hill.

Jimcs50
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
I finally forgive him for last years playoff loss to Dallas.

I love him again.

steppy
06-15-2007, 08:46 AM
This is from the Daily Dime on ESPN:

After five unforced turnovers led to an 18-16 Cavs' lead at the end of the first quarter, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich ripped into his team in general and Manu Ginobili in particular: "We're throwing the ball all over the gym! Get your heads out of your asses! We're playing like s---!" Ginobili, who had two points, would finish with a game-high 27.

I was wondering what Manu was talking about when he mentioned that he was a little upset at what Pop had said. But he said he also understood.

Fabbs
06-15-2007, 08:47 AM
76 pt average the last two games is freakin awesome man.
Pop rules!

Agloco
06-15-2007, 09:18 AM
I finally forgive him for last years playoff loss to Dallas.I love him again.

Manu is the guy you need to make amends with on that one.........

And speaking of that, his boneheaded ass showed up again on the Damon Jones foul. It made things a hell of a lot harder than they needed to be.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox now......

Lebowski Brickowski
06-15-2007, 09:43 AM

And speaking of that, his boneheaded ass showed up again on the Damon Jones foul. It made things a hell of a lot harder than they needed to be.

Clean block

Fabbs
06-15-2007, 10:08 AM
1. Jump ball. GNob clearly had his hand on the ball and had it tied up before he....
2. Subsequently had his elbow on Jones head a second or two later.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-15-2007, 10:14 AM

Now we're getting over to the truly overlooked guy: the University of Houston's Damon Jones! He hits three clutch free throws and then buries a buzzer beater three. Lost in all the hoopla about the emergence of the Spurs dynasty and James' bright future was the birth of the next Robert Horry. Book it.