PDA

View Full Version : Who saved the game?

Spurgal
12-03-2004, 10:49 PM
MALIK ROSE :elephant

exstatic
12-03-2004, 10:50 PM
He made a good play on a horrible attempt at a lob pass.

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2004, 10:51 PM
malik, barry, duncan..they were all clutch

Spurgal
12-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Regardless of the last 2 shots he missed he still saved the game! :elephant

That's my man. :makeout

samikeyp
12-03-2004, 11:10 PM
great steal but you gotta hit free throws.

Marcus Bryant
12-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Malik is back. He's regained his confidence and you can see it in his play. He's not as tentative as he was last season and the year before. Duncan needed some help battling Detroit's bigs up front and Rose provided that. Radosoft was a tad bit disappointing.

anonymous poster
12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Brent Barry for making two "ice cold" clutch free throws
and Teyshaun Prince for throwing it right to Malik Rose.

mattyc
12-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Bones iced the game after a horrible day on court.

Malik's incerception was sweet to watch though. Proof that the man is exerting more energy in his efforts and thus = real Malik.

T Park
12-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Radosoft was a tad bit disappointing.

yeah those 7 boards and good defense in limited minutes are just horrible.

The maliksucker rides again.

Spurminator
12-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Malik showed signs of becoming overconfident... But it seems that for every quadruple pump/pivot and wild shot he takes while surrounded under the basket by four defenders, he makes a crucial rebound or steal.

Stand
12-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Manu going over and guarding the inbounder was the killer. It lead to the Malik steal and the win.

T Park
12-04-2004, 12:22 AM
It was a team effort down the stretch, not one person more than the other.

Big win. Good win.

Learn from the mistakes, move on.

Focus on Milwaukee.

grjr
12-04-2004, 12:30 AM
I loved the way Pop told the guys to slow it down at the beginning of the 4th quarter. We wouldn't want to embarress Larry Brown by actually scoring some points in the 4th. We were running their ass ragged through the 3rd but we struggled all night in the slow down, half court, dump it to Tim offense.

Am I the only one who is driven crazy by this? If so, I guess I need to make another appointment. :spin

Spurminator
12-04-2004, 12:32 AM
He told them to slow it down because they were getting sloppy as fuck, and it was leading to turnovers and Pistons buckets on the other end. The Pistons made it a priority to stop the fast break in the second half. Unfortunately, our half court offense never really got going either.

T Park
12-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Yes,

handing the ball to your best player, god what will they think of next???

The uptempo pass it quickly go fast fast fast is what lead to the turnovers and lead to the comeback.

But, what the hell right?

wildbill2u
12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
I live out of town and don't get an opportunity to see the Spurs all that much but I came back for the holidays and have watched the last five games.

Now I know why Malik was benched.

Too much holding the ball while he tries to play one-on-one from outside as if his role was a shooting forward and he had the moves to drive or had a reliable 3pt shot.

What is he thinking?

T Park
12-04-2004, 12:50 AM
uhh,

Malik Rose played a damn DAMN good game tonight,

he made a great dribble move fake one way and layup the other way on Rasheed Wallace.

Good lord peeps what game are you guys watching.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 12:59 AM
MALIK ROSE

Malik didn't do anything to save the game. Manu's pressure on the inbounds pass forced Tayshaun to throw up that lame duck.

I guess you could argue Malik did a good enough job missing the second free throw so it ended up in Rasheed's hands, who subsequently shot it from 75 ft. away when Detroit I think still had a timeout.

grjr
12-04-2004, 01:09 AM
I'm pretty sure they were out of timeouts but he did have time to pass it to Prince for a halfcourt shot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Malik Rose played a damn DAMN good game tonight,

he made a great dribble move fake one way and layup the other way on Rasheed Wallace.

Yeah, and the other six times he tried it he got blocked. :lol

whottt
12-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Yeah, and the other six times he tried it he got blocked. :lol

AHF just nutted -- After Prince blocked a Malik 14 foot jumper in the 4th

picnroll
12-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Malik was a large part of the reason Pistons were parading to the free throw line in the 4th. He made as many or more bad plays as good. What was his +/-? Grade C-.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Bones iced the game after a horrible day on court.

he was never on the court, i think that was the problem

boutons
12-04-2004, 08:57 AM
It was excrutiating to watch watch Malik tough enough to get the ball, but not tall/athletic enough to put it back in the traffic of taller shot-blockers Ben, Rasheed, Tayshaun, etc. Sometimes it's better to be content with the RB and kick it out. But, excellent hustle!!, Malik. You've earned back your place in main rotation in crunch games.

btw, Malik, since I hear you hired a FT coach a while back, so have somebody help you with your jump shot. I think you could actually contribute quite a few mid-range pts with your defender often helping with Tim.

Your jumper's fault is that your are leaning into the shot, jumping towards the basket, when big strong boy like you has the strength to jump straight up, body vertical, and release at TDC, like most of all the best jump shooters.

T Park
12-04-2004, 09:29 AM
malik gets 10 boards, plays good D,

and its still not enough for AHF.

Thats my point about him.

There is nothing Malik Rose or Gregg Popovich will ever do that will satisfy the guy.

So why take anything seriously.

Yeah Aggie makes great points and I agree with about 90% what he posts.

But he has agendas with Rose and Pop. Plain and simple.

smeagol
12-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Manu going over and guarding the inbounder was the killer. It lead to the Malik steal and the win.
Yeah. But he has to hit those free throws late in the 4th Q.
Damn!

ShoogarBear
12-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Hmm, notice that those who bash Malik for missing FTs manage somehow to not say anything about Manu missing his.

Nikos
12-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Probably cause he did manage to hit 1 out of his last 4 :lol

Instead of going 0-4, oh well. Spurs still looking shaky in the clutch :depressed .

Ghost Writer
12-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Hey, Rose made the interception and missed 2 game icing FTs.

I call that a wash.

Spurgal
12-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Hmm, notice that those who bash Malik for missing FTs manage somehow to not say anything about Manu missing his.

That's exactly what I'm talking about...
Everyone Is always talking SHIT about Malik's play...

How about LAZY Robert Horry? I didn't see his lazy Ass do anything for the team last night...

I honestly think that his OLD ASS needs to think about retirement!

ChumpDumper
12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Malik had a great game on the boards and in general hustle.

His decision making on O was suspect, but at least he erred on the side or aggression.

Rasho was feeble on O; Detroit's athletes had him thinking only about D for the most part.

whottt
12-04-2004, 01:45 PM
How about LAZY Robert Horry? I didn't see his lazy Ass do anything for the team last night...

Now that's not exactly a fair statement is it? I'm pretty sure Horry would have rather done something than ride the bench for the entire game...

I don't get the mindset of Spurfans...last year Horry played better, Malik wasn't given a chance and everyone hated Malik and compained when he got on the court...this year it's the exact opposite...everyone hates Horry...

The truth is that they both have a role to play and just because one is playing better doesn't mean the other is garbage..they both know how to win titles and they both want to win them...

Horry outplayed Malik last season..but it was stupid to not give Malik any playing time and take him out of the rotation...it hurt us against LA.

And I think the same thing applies this season...Malik is outplaying Horry...Malik should be getting more minutes anyway even if he's not outplaying him because Malik is in his prime.....but Horry can do different things than Malik and IMO it's just as stupid to kill Horry in the rotation as it was Malik last year.

Dunno why it has to be such an either or thing...And I know you totally prefer Malik period SG...so this isn't just directed at you. But there's no reason to ostracize one of them just because the other is playing better. One of them is always going to be playing better than the other...that doesn't mean the other sucks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
malik gets 10 boards, plays good D,

and its still not enough for AHF.

Thats my point about him.

You're a fool Tpark. I have no problem with Malik's hustle on the boards, I thought he did a fantastic job rebounding.

My problem was what he did after the rebounds. Kick it back out, reset, and get the ball to your scorers (TD, TP, Manu). Time after time Malik busted his ass to get an Orebound, only to look around and say "you know, it's only Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace, they've both only got six inches and a better vertical on me, but I can score..."

All his work on the offensive glass was mitigated by him trying to take on two seven footers and failing miserably.

=---------------
Sug,

I posted on that (it's somewhere on page 2 now though).

Slo spurs fan
12-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Now that's not exactly a fair statement is it? I'm pretty sure Horry would have rather done something than ride the bench for the entire game...

I don't get the mindset of Spurfans...last year Horry played better, Malik wasn't given a chance and everyone hated Malik and compained when he got on the court...this year it's the exact opposite...everyone hates Horry...

The truth is that they both have a role to play and just because one is playing better doesn't mean the other is garbage..they both know how to win titles and they both want to win them...

Horry outplayed Malik last season..but it was stupid to not give Malik any playing time and take him out of the rotation...it hurt us against LA.

And I think the same thing applies this season...Malik is outplaying Horry...Malik should be getting more minutes anyway even if he's not outplaying him because Malik is in his prime.....but Horry can do different things than Malik and IMO it's just as stupid to kill Horry in the rotation as it was Malik last year.

Dunno why it has to be such an either or thing...And I know you totally prefer Malik period SG...so this isn't just directed at you. But there's no reason to ostracize one of them just because the other is playing better. One of them is always going to be playing better than the other...that doesn't mean the other sucks.

100% true!

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-04-2004, 03:31 PM
True, Malik's hustle was an impact on the game but I'm going to step out on a limb and say that the real impact player was Bruce Bowen. He shut down the Pistons guards when he was in and it was when he was off the court that they went off like a Roman candle. He came back in and the bleeding stopped. At least that's how it looked to me.

timvp
12-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Manu = Spurs Golden Child
Malik = Spurs Step Child

Nikos
12-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Again Manu hit 1FT :lol

Malik is simply going to have to shut the doubters up himself. Play like he did in the 0203 season, and slowly Spur fans will ease up on him.

Either way, I think Malik will be fine. He did good last night overall IMO.

timvp
12-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Malik could turn into Rick Mahorn and Spurs fans still wouldn't like him. Didn't you hear? He makes too much money and shoots 18 footers.

Manu is God with the ability to dunk.

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Malik did save the game. If Billups would have gotten that ball, I was almost sure it was going to be tied up.

Way to hustle Malik.

Nikos
12-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Malik could turn into Rick Mahorn and Spurs fans still wouldn't like him. Didn't you hear? He makes too much money and shoots 18 footers.

If Malik just plays like he did in 0203 he will be fine. His benching last season did not exactly help his rep.

His 'black hole' game can get on your nerves if he is not playing well. The problem is hes not a major minutes player to make up for it.

Ginobili pisses me off too plenty of times with his frequent silly turnovers. But I guess your trying to say Manu gets on your nerves even more so than Lik', and because he is white/latin he gets a free pass (undeservedly so)?

Personally I have no beef with Malik. As long as he hustles and does not force the issue too much it would be awesome for the team. I think mostly good things will be said about Malik if he reverts back to the 0203 form.

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't recall Manu being wreckless during the olympics. Dude was under control, looked like one of the best players to ever play in the olympics.

I think its quite simple. Recognize the fact that your opposition is a good defensive team or a bad one and then adjust your game accordingly. Some games possessions are precious, other games, a little razzle dazzle isn't going to hurt anyone.

Just recognize. I heard Pop screaming at his ass a few times in the fourth quarter, maybe he got the message.

timvp
12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
If Malik just plays like he did in 0203 he will be fine. His benching last season did not exactly help his rep.

Um ... peeps like Ghost, AHF and Walton have been hard on him for years. Spurs fans just don't like him too much anymore. They used to but ... not anymore.

It happened to most Spurs .... including David Robinson.

Ginobili pisses me off too plenty of times with his frequent silly turnovers. But I guess your trying to say Manu gets on your nerves even more so than Lik', and because he is white/latin he gets a free pass (undeservedly so)?

WTF? Where'd you get that from? :lol

First of all, Manu doesn't get on my nerves. He's been awesome this year. He deserves to be an all-star. I don't care that he missed free throws last night ... just like I don't care that Malik missed those two. Stuff happens and those are two of the best FT shooters on the team.

Race has nothing to do with being the golden child. Duncan is a golden child. Even Rose used to be a golden child. It has to do with who Spurs fans root for at any given time. Once upon a time Malik Rose was the fan favorite.

I don't appreciate the race smack, my nikka.

Stand
12-04-2004, 04:05 PM

I've got less sympathy for a bench player missing his free throws.

T Park
12-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Manu is a bigger golden child right than even Duncan.

Thats a fact.

IMO, I think I see more Ginobili jerseys than Duncan ones.

Parker was a golden child, until 02 03 when Manu showed up.

I gotta admit, the behind the back reverse layup plus a foul was quite sweet.

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 04:06 PM
:lol

I think when a player affects the win/loss column is when they should be taken off the list. Free throws and jumpers are going to be missed, however, not helping on screen rolls, rebounding and throwing hot dog passes are unacceptable when the sphincter is getting tighter.

I think Malik's issues are directly related to Popovich. If Popovich would take out some measuring tape and realize that Malik is not 7 foot and then play him accordingly, the dude would probably start for any team in the Eastern Conference :)

Nikos
12-04-2004, 04:07 PM
WTF? Where'd you get that from? :lol

Race has nothing to do with being the golden child. Duncan is a golden child. Even Rose used to be a golden child. It has to do with who Spurs fans root for at any given time. Once upon a time Malik Rose was the fan favorite.

I don't appreciate the race smack, my nikka.

Sorry I misunderstood I guess. But I have seen on the other Spurs board, that Manu gets a free pass cause the city loves him being he is latin etc. I definetely have read that comment by a few Spurs fans. I thought you were refering to that maybe. I could have sworn I seen that comment once or twice on here by someone.

I did not understand what you meant by 'golden child' in this context I guess.

As far as Malik goes, didn't AHF acknowledge he is doing well? Walton is a fickle nutcase for the most part. Aside from a few people who won't admit the positives Rose can bring, I think people will come around as long as Malik remains the 6th/7th man.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I used to love Malik's play, it's probably why I'm so critical of him now - I just hate when he tries to play above his head. Dude's a garbage player, plain and simple, that's why the common man (err, SA peep) loves him - he's blue collar.

Problem is in the last two years he has gotten it in his head that he needs to score every time he touches the ball. Every time last night I'd get excited because Malik fought for an Orebound, then he'd throw it away trying to put it back up vs. Ben and 'Sheed (and in some cases Tayshaun's monkey arms were right there too).

If you look up and have two pairs of arms on seven footers hovering over you, don't be a dumbass and try and score on that. Kick it back out, reset, and let's get a good possession out of it.

If Malik would just play smart ball, all my criticism of him would cease (even when he nearly airballs a FT like that first one last night with 3 seconds to go). Problem is the last two seasons the words Malik rose and "smart ball" haven't really gone in the same sentence, except maybe once every ten games or so.

T Park
12-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Rose never has been a "smart player"

He plays with his heart and not with his mind.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

More often than not, Malik is gonna play great.

Malik IMO is playing better than he did in 02 03, hes taking LESS jumpers, and is fighting inside more.

I also find it hard to tell a guy to stop developing, just stay the way you are.

Thats like telling someone in management, alright, stop trying to advance, quit trying to be a supervisor, your skills are needed here. your good enough...

Ghost Writer
12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Look, I don't like Bowen or Rose, really.

Both have warts as players, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't have their strengths and value for the team.

In the case of Rose, he is an overachieving, hustling 'tweener with no jumpshot and a propensity to turn the ball over. But he also can make the smart play, plays strong defense, gets good offensive rebounds and can score around the basket.

His positives is what got him that slightly overpriced contract.

Last season, he put pressure on himself to justify that contract and actually played himself out of the rotation.

That was not Pop's fault. That was Rose's.

Now, it looks like Rose is back to doing what got him the contract.

When he plays within himself, he is a good contributor to this team.

Remember that Rose and Duncan are the only two Spurs that have won two titles with San Antonio. That kind of veteran experience within SPURS BASKETBALL is invaluable.

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Again, put Malik in a position to be successful. Running the offense through Malik, letting Malik get the inbounds pass or posting him up outside 15 feet is frickin ludicrous. Same thing goes for Rasho.

Again, if Rasho would go to Blockbuster and rent the How to Play Center the Way I Do DVD, by Will Perdue, then the Spurs would win 70 games. Dude just needs to wake up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 04:25 PM
More often than not, Malik is gonna play great.

:lol Yeah, he sure did a great job last year.

I also find it hard to tell a guy to stop developing, just stay the way you are.

This isn't about development, it's about common sense. Tony drove the lane last night late, saw McDyess coming, pulled it out, regrouped, and ended up with a layup.

Malik gets a rebound, looks up, sees Ben, 'Sheed, and Tayshaun, and gets stuffed. Please let me know how long we need to give Malik to develop the common sense that our 22 year old point guard already apparently has.

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Malik gets a rebound, looks up, sees Ben, 'Sheed, and Tayshaun, and gets stuffed. Please let me know how long we need to give Malik to develop the common sense that our 22 year old point guard already apparently has.

I saw that too. I was like, uh okay.

:drunk

picnroll
12-04-2004, 04:49 PM
End of the third, Spurs up 21 and ready to put the Pistons to bed. Malik gets a rebound and sails an outlet pass over Manu's head. Malik then gets a pass on a break and blows a layup. Gets a rebound, fouled, goes to the line and blows two FTs. Wallace shoots over Malik in the paint for two. Malik then gets a feed in the paint from Beno and gets stuffed, commits a fouls going for the reboud. Two FTs for the Pistons. End of quarter Pisytons down 15 and momentum totally shifted.

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Good recall, however, Malik stole the ball at the end. Billups could have easily gotten a pass and jacked up a 3 to tie, but Malik was there to steal it. That was the most important play in the fourth.

picnroll
12-04-2004, 05:05 PM
One noticeable difference between Manu and Malik's screw ups is that Manu will screw up and then redeem himself with a great play. Malik with screw up, presss to redeem himself screwing up again sometimes leading to a whole cluster fuck of screw ups.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Damn picnroll has nailed it with his last two posts :lol

Lookout pnr, you're about to incur the wrath of TParkNum9.

smeagol
12-04-2004, 05:27 PM
One noticeable difference between Manu and Malik's screw ups is that Manu will screw up and then redeem himself with a great play. Malik with screw up, presss to redeem himself screwing up again sometimes leading to a whole cluster fuck of screw ups.
Although I tend to agree wit your statement, pnr, yesterday Malik redeemed himself with that last steal.

Spurgal
12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Malik did save the game. If Billups would have gotten that ball, I was almost sure it was going to be tied up.

This Is exactly what I meant, when I started this thread.

I know that Malik was out of whack last season, but he has proven to many that he will kick some Ass this year, and so far he has regardless of the Harsh comments his Haters have.

MALIK WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST 6th MAN!

T Park
12-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Lookout pnr, you're about to incur the wrath of TParkNum9.

I respect his opinion and wont.

Unlike you who insults me, mocks me, when I havent even read a thread yet.

Screw the past, ever heard of forgiveness??

Guess not.

Spurgal
12-04-2004, 08:44 PM
NO FIGHTING WITH TPARK9! BACK OFF!