PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Supergirl
06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Man, that was an exciting, if sometimes painful and hard to watch, game.

On a personal note, it was the very first championship my parents and I got to witness together. We watched it up in Boston - they escape the Texas heat in Vermont (mom teaches at UTSA) and I live here. It was so cool to be able to watch it with them.

A couple notes: This really was a redemption for Parker and Manu both - Manu got to make up for his dumb foul on Dirk in Game 7 last year, and Parker got to prove all those who doubted him in 2003 and 2005 that he was worth signing, and better than Kidd.

Duncan was off offensively, but it was still his defensive presence (including 15 rebounds) that kept the Spurs in the game. Even as off as he was, you could still make an argument that he was the MVP. You could also make an argument that it was our closer, Manu, who was the MVP last night, or that Bowen's ability to keep Lebron from any kind of rhythm was our MVP. But I'm glad Parker got a chance to win it, and I know the other guys don't mind.

Is this the first time the Spurs have won and still had a strong core locked up for the forseeable future? After 1999, we lost almost everyone but Duncan and David. After 2003, we lost David, SJax, and Claxton. After 2005, it was clear we had a big whole in the middle to fill, and we lost Kerr.

After this year, we return with our big 3 locked up, as well as Bowen and Elson and Finley signed. The only FAs are Oberto (?) and Horry, right? And we should be able to re-sign both of those guys. Meanwhile, we still have our project (Butler) and potential replacements for Horry (Bonner) and Bowen (White) in the wings...

We should be able to win 2 more in the next 3-4 years.