PDA

View Full Version : Adversity

Guajalote
06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I think that teams that have won the title before best understand that a championship season is filled with things that could go wrong, but for one reason or another, don't. Either you get breaks and you win, or things go wrong and you lose. They are not to be used as excuses. Things just happen the way they do.

I was going through my 2003 championship DVD the other day (I was having some David Robinson withdrawal symptoms). One quote that DR had was when he said something like you can almost tell that you're going to win because you catch lucky breaks that you don't normally catch.

2003- Horry's final 3 rattled out. Game 6 (I think) vs. the Mavs when Kerr and Jack went nuts from 3 point range. How many of us would have guessed that: 1. Horry misses that many 3's in a series against us; 2. We got Horry after that.

2004- Fisher's .4 last second shot. 'Nuf said.

2005- Rasheed inexplicably leaves Horry to hit THE shot.

2006- Right after hitting a dagger of a 3 pointer, Manu fouls Dirk and the bottom falls out in OT.

2007- Dallas (#1 Seed) loses to Golden State (#8 Seed). Nash opens up his nose. Amare and Boris leave the bench. Deron Williams in back-to-back games (flu and ankle) unable to go 100%. LeBron fouled by Bowen, foul not called.

What I would call fate is not always easy to see at the moment that it happens. But it just goes to show you how many things need to turn out right for a title to come your way.

I'm forgetting a lot of lucky/unlucky breaks for each season. Feel free to add them if you think of some.

mathbzh
06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Exactly why Dallas and Phoenix are not unlucky... just not good enough to go through adversity