PDA

View Full Version : mavs the team to beat next year

td4mvp3
06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
according to pop. said so on the jennifer engel show this morning in dallas.

703 Spurz
06-15-2007, 11:09 AM
He'd never say the Spurs were the team to beat anyway. Hell let us enjoy the fucking title for a few days before we start thinking of next year

greywheel
06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Was this a quote during the show or an actual interview? If it was an interview it is just classic Pop giving props to other teams so they have no bulletin board material. Remember, Cleveland was a tough matchup.

nkdlunch
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
already putting the pressure on Dallas and Angry Johnson:lol

Pop is a genius

SAGambler
06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, that could be right, although you have to wonder what dropping a sure thing in Miami and then getting owned by the 8th cede this year has done to the Mav team.

Those are two blows that will take a hell of a lot of character (and maybe hours in therapy) to put behind them and play great ball again.

td4mvp3
06-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Was this a quote during the show or an actual interview? If it was an interview it is just classic Pop giving props to other teams so they have no bulletin board material. Remember, Cleveland was a tough matchup.
it was during a live interview. he was asked how far are the mavs from being the spurs and he said they are right there already and next year they will be the team to beat.

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2007, 11:23 AM
already putting the pressure on Dallas and Angry Johnson:lol

Pop is a genius

Perfect.

CIA Pop!!!

Pop already running rings around the opposition.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

I love it.

Findog
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Mavs won't be taken seriously because of the GS series and that's the way it should be. The doubters and haters will only be silenced by a title. That should be plenty of motivation for our guys.

BlackFlagg
06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
it was during a live interview. he was asked how far are the mavs from being the spurs and he said they are right there already and next year they will be the team to beat.

He says that every year. Pop's a nice dude.

JamStone
06-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Without significant personnel changes, Dallas will be lucky to secure a top 4 playoff seed next year. Their collective confidence is very fragile right now. I would consider Phoenix more so the team to beat if it's not the Spurs.

Findog
06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Without significant personnel changes, Dallas will be lucky to secure a top 4 playoff seed next year. Their collective confidence is very fragile right now. I would consider Phoenix more so the team to beat if it's not the Spurs.

Who knows how they'll respond? The Sonics made it to the Finals with the same team that was ousted by Denver, so we'll just have to wait and see. I think they just went to far in the right direction...it was laudable and noble to not take the regular season off and coast until the playoffs, but they played the entire season in a fifth-gear frenzy in an effort to exorcise the Finals. The Spurs have found the right balance between coasting and playing pedal to the metal. Dallas needs to do the same.

Mr. Body
06-15-2007, 11:49 AM
The Spurs still have no answer for Nowitzki and especially Josh Howard. It's right to have Dallas on the mind.

BlackFlagg
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
The Spurs still have no answer for Nowitzki and especially Josh Howard. It's right to have Dallas on the mind.

Well they won't stay in the playoffs long enough for us to find out. :spin

DDS4
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Avery needs to take a page out of Pop's book and not gun for the regular season crown next year.

Money316
06-15-2007, 12:08 PM
according to pop. said so on the jennifer engel show this morning in dallas.
Man this is at least the second thread you've posted concerning the Mavs this morning.

Fucking forget about them for at least 24 hours and enjoy the Finals. And don't bring that weak ass shit bout already thinking about next year.

:fro

Fillmoe
06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
unless they face the warriors in the first round again.... :lol :lol

Money316
06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Perfect.

CIA Pop!!!

Pop already running rings around the opposition.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

I love it.
Now this shit makes sense.

:fro :smokin :fro

SpurOutofTownFan
06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't know. It seems Mavs will go thru some major changes. I'm not sure what they will be capable of in 2008.

Findog
06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't know. It seems Mavs will go thru some major changes. I'm not sure what they will be capable of in 2008.

They don't really have the financial flexibility to add to what they have. Don't be surprised if they bring this team back intact, more or less (Croshere, George):

http://dallasbasketball.com/newmainArticle.asp?id=150

Findog
06-15-2007, 12:13 PM
unless they face the warriors in the first round again.... :lol :lol

The sad thing is that Donnie seems to be in denial about what happened. Warriors exposed an achilles' heel that I'd like to see get fixed:

http://dallasbasketball.com/newleftArticle.asp?id=149

spursreport
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Bowen would of locked Howard down. As for Dirk, just get physical with him and give him no comfort zone and he will fall apart. A jump shooting team with no inside game who cant handle constant physical play and is mentally fragile is not going to beat this spurs team.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-15-2007, 12:16 PM
They don't really have the financial flexibility to add to what they have. Don't be surprised if they bring this team back intact, more or less (Croshere, George):

Very complete article. I recommend reading it.

ShoogarBear
Mavs and Suns are going to be wailing on each other all next year. Spurs will be under the radar again.

:smokin

td4mvp3
Man this is at least the second thread you've posted concerning the Mavs this morning.

Fucking forget about them for at least 24 hours and enjoy the Finals. And don't bring that weak ass shit bout already thinking about next year.

:fro
*sigh*
i'm not posting the stuff just because it popped in my head. pop, the coach of the spurs, champions of the world, said the morning after winning the title that the team to beat next year are an intra-state rival. well worth sharing.

Findog
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Bowen would of locked Howard down. As for Dirk, just get physical with him and give him no comfort zone and he will fall apart. A jump shooting team with no inside game who cant handle constant physical play and is mentally fragile is not going to beat this spurs team.

So last year never happened, huh? The Spurs got Jekyll, the Warriors got Hyde. The reason Dallas matches up well with San Antonio is because Dirk forces you guys to play small and the mismatches. Stick Bowen on Dirk and there's nobody to guard Howard. Stick Bowen on Howard and you have nobody to guard Dirk.

monosylab1k
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
The sad thing is that Donnie seems to be in denial about what happened. Warriors exposed an achilles' heel that I'd like to see get fixed:

http://dallasbasketball.com/newleftArticle.asp?id=149

After the last few offseasons, I'm seriously beginning to question if Donnie is the right man for this job. I haven't seen him make a solid move since big poppa Nellie left.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Mavs and Suns are going to be wailing on each other all next year. Spurs will be under the radar again.

If Oberto doesn't opt out the Spurs could add a nice piece this offseason. And then there are their international prospects, their 3 draft picks, and White and Butler.

Findog
06-15-2007, 12:26 PM
After the last few offseasons, I'm seriously beginning to question if Donnie is the right man for this job. I haven't seen him make a solid move since big poppa Nellie left.

Nellie left because he couldn't bear coaching a team without his mancrush Nash. I thought turning Jamison into Harris and Stack was a good move. But last year's offseason ended up being disastrous - Buck and George were complete nonentities against the Warriors. Would love to see Desmond Mason come in here for the MLE. He's the athletic wing we were missing against Golden State, he can post guys up, he's a good perimeter defender and we wouldn't be playing 4 on 5 on offense with him out there.

Money316
06-15-2007, 12:35 PM
*sigh*
i'm not posting the stuff just because it popped in my head. pop, the coach of the spurs, champions of the world, said the morning after winning the title that the team to beat next year are an intra-state rival. well worth sharing.Yu right I'm sorry. Must be the T-bird.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/2f/320px-Thunderbirdbottlevancouver.jpg

intlspurshk
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I will never discount Dallas. They are really a nightmare for SPURS. They may be only 1 player short of Championship and I am sure someone like R Lewis will be willing to join them at lower salary for 1 year knowing that he can sign a higher $ contract later. But sometimes real champion need to show some class, from owner to players.

Money316
06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Nellie left because he couldn't bear coaching a team without his mancrush Nash.
:fro :lol :lol :fro

StylisticS
06-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't look to much into it. It's basically the same as coach's speak. I really think he's lying through his teeth.

Findog
06-15-2007, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't look to much into it. It's basically the same as coach's speak. I really think he's lying through his teeth.

This is a weak free-agent class and their cap situation is fucked anyway with $23 million in dead money due to Finley and Bradley next year. Next offseason they should be in much better shape to add somebody useful. I don't think this is the offseason to "blow it up" anyway. Howard is on the upward arc of his career, Dirk is in his prime and Harris can't be labeled a bust yet. Whether they want to or not, they're probably going to have to bring this team back intact for one more season. I think that's the right move anyway, due to the cap and for being patient. The first round flameout against Golden State is disappointing, caveat about being a regular season team only, but you don't go to the Finals, beat the Spurs and win 67 games if you're chopped liver. That said, they're still not a title team and mere cosmetic changes at the edges aren't going to do the trick.

Don Quixote
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Pop is probably still hung over, if not drunk, from last night.

Ignorant Spurs fan
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
there is no question who the real team to beat is. Pop just doesnt want to seem cocky.

however the Mavs are a scary team. but they are wildly unpredictable. they showed crazy heart and guts against the Spurs in the series last year and played their best ball in the series after against Phoenix. but then against Miami and Golden State they completely collapse. if the Spurs dont win a title, id like to see them do it, to make the rivalry "complete" but they are a mystery

Findog
06-15-2007, 01:24 PM
there is no question who the real team to beat is. Pop just doesnt want to seem cocky.

however the Mavs are a scary team. but they are wildly unpredictable. they showed crazy heart and guts against the Spurs in the series last year and played their best ball in the series after against Phoenix. but then against Miami and Golden State they completely collapse. if the Spurs dont win a title, id like to see them do it, to make the rivalry "complete" but they are a mystery

Barring injuries, if they bring this team back, all that is guaranteed is 55+ wins and a top four seed. Beyond that, who knows? They've taken a back seat in the eyes of the League respect-wise after flaming out against the Warriors but they've shown what they're capable of.

Dirk41MVP
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM

HHAHA talk about collective confidence. Your overrated Detroit team got owned by James and his JV gang lol. It's no secret what the mavs did this postseason, but if you look at the past 2-3 years we haven't been able to beat the warriors even in the regular season. For some reason we don't match up well with them at all, just like the mavs give you problems, they give problems to the mavs. I honestly knew we were in big trouble before the series even started.

Our confidence is fine though, as long as Avery doesn't mess with his own team before the other team gets a chance to... Detroit's overrated, they are on a weak conference and that's why the get to the conference finals every year just to get owned by the crappiest team ever to make the finals, lmao I'm worried about detroit lol.

Spurs and Mavs are the 2 teams to beat next year, especially if Marion gets traded (wouldn't that help SA and Dallas big time!). Book it, phoenix will never win a title with this team, or even go to the finals. The West is Dallas's and San Antonio's to lose.

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Okay, so several thoughts come to my mind:

(1) Spurs don't match up well with the Mavs
(2) Mavs potentially can beat the Spurs, due to matchups
(3) Mavs have in fact beaten the Spurs in the playoffs in a 7 game series

However,
(4) If Mavs couldn't beat Golden State in the first round, they probably couldn't have beaten this Spur team either
(5) The loss to the Heat and the way that they lost, followed by this first round disappearance does not lead one to think that the Mavs are on the elevator going up
(6) The Mavs had been motivated by not having beaten the Spurs, thus beating the Spurs in 06 in the playoffs; Then, the Mavs were motivated by having lost 4 straight to the Heat, they responded by having the best regular season in their history.
How now brown cow? They already gave their best response to a disappointing finish and it didn't lead to post regular season success.

(7) The Spurs are the better team. The Spurs defense is much better, clearly the best in the NBA. The Spurs offense is much better, balanced, Duncan spaces the floor. The Spurs trio is better than the Mavs trio.
So, in ordinary years, without that motivation of never having beaten them, Spurs are definitely the favorites going in to the series. In fact, the Spurs are the ones who want revenge.

In the Immortal Words of Sir Charles Barkley, "The Mavs can't beat the Spurs; the Spurs are the best team in the NBA!".
Let the truth be told.

Of course, maybe the Mavs could add Ron Artest, and that would really fix things... punks.

:ihit :lmao

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2007, 02:27 PM
And the simple truth is that the Mavs have no chance whatsoever at beating the Suns, the second best team in the NBA.

It'll never, ever happen.

That's just the way things are.

Suns are an improved version of Golden State.

End of story.

SpursDynasty
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
How can Dallas be the team to beat when they already got beat in 2006 and 2007? Pop is a genius. You can lock in another championship for us next year already.

Findog
06-15-2007, 02:35 PM
So, in ordinary years, without that motivation of never having beaten them, Spurs are definitely the favorites going in to the series. In fact, the Spurs are the ones who want revenge.

huh?

The Mavs can't beat the Spurs;

So last year never happened?

the Spurs are the best team in the NBA!".

Not disputing that.

colargol
06-15-2007, 02:46 PM
And the Nuggets, Jazz was hard....the Mavs and the Suns..........and about Detroit?
Miami is done?
Kobe.....LA,
Arenas would be there.......

Back to back is our achilles' heel....
Enjoy the fourth....and hope!
Anyway GO SPURS GO

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
huh?

Mavs were more motivated in 06 because they were always looked at as the little sister of the Spurs. Mavs hadn't beaten the Spurs in a series in the playoffs prior to last year.

So last year never happened?
No, last year was an anomaly based upon certain conditions that are no longer true (one of which was that the Mavs were extremely motivated because they had never beaten the Spurs in a 7 game series, two Mavs confidence was high (but then the Heat and the Warriors got rid of that), Spurs defense wasn't as good because Tim's lateral movement wasn't as good because of pf).

06 did happen. They did manage to squeak out a win after being down 3 with 30 seconds left in game 7 on the road after beginning with a 3-1 lead (after having faced a Grizzlies team that had never won a single playoff game in its entire history after we had been physically pounded by Sacramento)).

But, in 03 the Spurs were better. In 04, the Spurs were better. In 05, the Spurs were better. In 06, the Spurs were injured. In 07, the Spurs were better (hard to argue that the Mavs were the better team given their loss to the Warriors).

I see a pattern. Do you?

06 is called an anomaly, with a perfect storm colliding to produce the abnormality.

In total candor, of course, the Mavs have some chance to beat the Spurs (although I really just don't believe that they can beat the Suns); however, it appears very improbable to me. The Spurs have earned the status of definitive favorite in a playoff series against the Mavs.

Not disputing that.

Findog
06-15-2007, 03:19 PM
No, last year was an anomaly based upon certain conditions that are no longer true (one of which was that the Mavs were extremely motivated because they had never beaten the Spurs in a 7 game series

With all due respect, that's stupid and insipid. The desire to win doesn't begin and end with the Spurs.

two Mavs confidence was high (but then the Heat and the Warriors got rid of that),

Caveats apply about the diff. btwn regular season and playoffs, but the Mavs responded as well as one possibly could to the Finals debacle. They lost to Golden State because of bad coaching, no perimeter defense and nobody able to hit open shots when Dirk was swarmed with double and triple teams. Harris and Terry give you guys fits with Jet's outside shooting and Harris's ability to get to the rim. Against Golden State they give up a lot of size on defense to Davis and Richardson. The Sonics made the Finals with the very same team that got ousted by Denver, so let's hold off on the psychological projection, shall we? Predictions about next year are essentially pointless. Barring injuries, if the Mavs are brought back intact, they'll win 55+ games and get a top four seed. Beyond that, who knows.

Spurs defense wasn't as good because Tim's lateral movement wasn't as good because of pf.

I've had plantar fasciitis, it's something you can play on, and I didn't have the Spurs medical staff giving me round the clock treatment. After 82 games in late May, ALL regulars are dealing with aches and pains, the Spurs weren't the only team in that series banged up. And Duncan put up a 32 and 13 against Dallas in that series, don't give me this horseshit about how limited he was in effectiveness against us. That's about as well as he can play. Dallas gives San Antonio problems because it's a pick your poison kind of deal: Put Bowen on Dirk and you have nobody to guard Howard. Put Bowen on Howard and Duncan/Oberto has to follow Dirk out to the high post away from the basket. There's an X's and O's reason why your defense sucks against us.

06 did happen. They did manage to squeak out a win after being down 3 with 30 seconds left in game 7 on the road after beginning with a 3-1 lead

Yeah, a Game 7 win on the road against the defending champs, no big thang. So the Spurs choked then, or can we give Dallas credit for not folding?

But, in 03 the Spurs were better.

Compared to what? The Mavs? Mavs were a young, inexperienced team that played no defense.

In 04, the Spurs were better.

Compared to what? The Mavs? Mavs were a young, inexperienced team that played no defense.

In 05, the Spurs were better.

Compared to what? The Mavs? Mavs were a somewhat older, somewhat more experienced team that played not much defense.

In 06, the Spurs were injured.

Oh really? Parker, Manu, TD all played and played well in our series. Which important contributor missed PT in that series?

In 07, the Spurs were better (hard to argue that the Mavs were the better team given their loss to the Warriors).

I don't think Dallas would've beaten San Antonio this year, but that has more to do with burning themselves out by playing the entire regular season in a fifth-gear frenzy. The X's and O's matchup problems we present are still there.

I see a pattern. Do you?

The pattern I see is that Dallas is a much better team than the one that met San Antonio in 2001, a much better team than the one that met San Antonio in 2003, and about on par with the one that beat San Antonio in 2006. This pattern you speak of is about as relevant as comparing the Spurs teams that finally toppled the Lakers with the ones that got their asses handed to them in 2001 and 2002. Dallas did to San Antonio what San Antonio did to LA -- they went back to the drawing board, learned from their asskicking and got better.

06 is called an anomaly, with a perfect storm colliding to produce the abnormality.

The 2006 Mavs were a much better team than the 2001 or 2003 Mavs and prevailed for a reason.

In total candor, of course, the Mavs have some chance to beat the Spurs (although I really just don't believe that they can beat the Suns); however, it appears very improbable to me. The Spurs have earned the status of definitive favorite in a playoff series against the Mavs.

In total candor, of course, the Spurs have some chance to beat the Mavs. The Spurs have earned the right to have a potential matchup against Dallas be considered a tossup.

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Without respect, that's stupid and insipid. The desire to win doesn't begin and end with the Spurs.

answer: If you don't think that they were extremely motivated against the Spurs in the 06 playoffs because they hadn't beaten them, you're kidding yourself.

Caveats apply about the diff. btwn regular season and playoffs, but the Mavs responded as well as one possibly could to the Finals debacle.

answer: that is true if and only if your way of responding is by having great regular season success.

They lost to Golden State because of bad coaching, no perimeter defense and nobody able to hit open shots when Dirk was swarmed with double and triple teams. Harris and Terry give you guys fits with Jet's outside shooting and Harris's ability to get to the rim. Against Golden State they give up a lot of size on defense to Davis and Richardson. The Sonics made the Finals with the very same team that got ousted by Denver, so let's hold off on the psychological projection, shall we? Predictions about next year are essentially pointless. Barring injuries, if the Mavs are brought back intact, they'll win 55+ games and get a top four seed. Beyond that, who knows.

I've had plantar fasciitis, it's something you can play on, and I didn't have the Spurs medical staff giving me round the clock treatment. After 82 games in late May, ALL regulars are dealing with aches and pains, the Spurs weren't the only team in that series banged up. And Duncan put up a 32 and 13 against Dallas in that series, don't give me this horseshit about how limited he was in effectiveness against us. That's about as well as he can play. Dallas gives San Antonio problems because it's a pick your poison kind of deal: Put Bowen on Dirk and you have nobody to guard Howard. Put Bowen on Howard and Duncan/Oberto has to follow Dirk out to the high post away from the basket. There's an X's and O's reason why your defense sucks against us.

However:

Yes, he did play on it. On the other hand, only several months in a row off of it were going to enable him to really recover from it, as commentators consistently pointed out (in answering the question why don't the Spurs rest Tim for several weeks).
It affected him most in his lateral movement which affected the Spurs defense, especially since we didn't have another big who could defend the paint well. Yes, Tim put up incredible numbers, but it doesn't mean he wasn't hampered significantly by the injury.

On this point, I must completely agree with you. That is why I feared Dallas in the past.
Your point about the matchups is well taken and I agree that this does present a problem. On the other hand, we present problems for you as well.

Yeah, a Game 7 win on the road against the defending champs, no big thang. So the Spurs choked then, or can we give Dallas credit for not folding?

Answer:

You think that this is a convincing way to show your superiority? Blow a 3-1 lead and find yourselves down down 3 in game 7 with 30 seconds left?
Spurs put themselves in a position where they had no margin for error and weren't perfect. That's not choking.
Remember this is your only evidence to show Mavs accomplishments, esp against the Spurs.
Our evidence to show our superiority consists in 3 of the last 5 NBA titles, and in beating you in years other than in 06.

Choking, and you really should know this, is when you have a 2-0 lead in the NBA Finals, are up 13 in game 3 on the road with about 6 minutes left in the game and you fold like a cheap suit.

Compared to what? The Mavs? Mavs were a somewhat older, somewhat more experienced team that played not much defense.

Oh really? Parker, Manu, TD all played and played well in our series. Which important contributor missed PT in that series?

They played the minutes. Manu and Tim were at 70 % or less. That's pretty common knowledge.

I don't think Dallas would've beaten San Antonio this year, but that has more to do with burning themselves out by playing the entire regular season in a fifth-gear frenzy. The X's and O's matchup problems we present are still there.

I agree that Dallas would not have beaten San Antonio this year.
It's difficult to argue for the alternative. If you can't beat Golden State in the first round, you can't beat the Spurs either.

The pattern I see is that Dallas is a much better team than the one that met San Antonio in 2001, a much better team than the one that met San Antonio in 2003, and about on par with the one that beat San Antonio in 2006. This pattern you speak of is about as relevant as comparing the Spurs teams that finally toppled the Lakers with the ones that got their asses handed to them in 2001 and 2002. Dallas did to San Antonio what San Antonio did to LA -- they went back to the drawing board, learned from their asskicking and got better.

Perhaps the Nash Dallas isn't relevant and the Dallas teams that immediately followed it were incredibly superior. But even you don't believe that is the case. Nowinski is the main guy for Dallas as Duncan is for the Spurs.

The 2006 Mavs were a much better team than the 2001 or 2003 Mavs and prevailed for a reason.

In total candor, of course, the Spurs have a better than 75-25 chance to beat the Mavs. The Spurs have earned the right to have a potential matchup against Dallas be considered a cakewalk.

Fixed it for you.

Mavs exited first round against Golden State after folding in finals.

Spurs won it all.

If you can't admit that Spurs have earned the right, as champions, to be considered the prohibitive favorite, then you aren't being honest with yourself or other posters and there isn't any point in talking with you.

It's like trying to have a science discussion with a member of the flat earth society.
Here's a link for ya: http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm
:wtf

MadDog73
06-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I'd love a rematch with the Mavs.

Why didn't that happen this year?

kontrolheat
06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
And the Nuggets, Jazz was hard....the Mavs and the Suns..........and about Detroit?
Miami is done?
Kobe.....LA,
Arenas would be there.......

Back to back is our achilles' heel....
Enjoy the fourth....and hope!
Anyway GO SPURS GO
07-08 we will be back better and stronger

Findog
06-15-2007, 04:33 PM
If you don't think that they were extremely motivated against the Spurs in the 06 playoffs because they hadn't beaten them, you're kidding yourself.

Of course they were extremely motivated. And they would've been extremely motivated had the two teams met this year. That has no bearing on who would prevail. It's akin to the line of reasoning that says the Heat got mad about hearing about leaked parade plans. "Oh, we weren't planning on winning the series, but now that they're planning a parade, we're going to go ahead and give 100%." WTF?

that is true if and only if your way of responding is by having great regular season success.

My point was that they responded the only way that would've been deemed acceptable: not coasting through the regular season. If they had gone 44-38 as part of some post-finals hangover, they would've been slammed as being psychologically damaged.

Yes, he did play on it. On the other hand, only several months in a row off of it were going to enable him to really recover from it, as commentators consistently pointed out

Several months off is the only thing that makes the pain go away. It's not an injury that you can aggravate or make worse, which is why the Spurs didn't sit him for a couple weeks. Like I said, I've never seen him play better than h did in that series.

On this point, I must completely agree with you. That is why I feared Dallas in the past. Your point about the matchups is well taken and I agree that this does present a problem. On the other hand, we present problems for you as well.

Of course, which is why I consider a matchup between those two teams a tossup. If they played 100 times, the split would probably be 50-50 or 51-49.

You think that this is a convincing way to show your superiority? Blow a 3-1 lead and find yourselves down down 3 in game 7 with 30 seconds left?

There was no way the Spurs were going out in five games. Terry was not available for G6 and the Spurs packed the lane against Harris. It's no shame to lose two straight games to the Spurs.

Our evidence to show our superiority consists in 3 of the last 5 NBA titles, and in beating you in years other than in 06.

I wasn't disputing Spurs superiority prior to 2006. I'm arguing that as of last season on, the two teams are pretty much evenly matched.

They played the minutes. Manu and Tim were at 70 % or less. That's pretty common knowledge.

Ginobili played at a high level in the Dallas series. He pretty much won Game 6 for you all by himself. He's always been an up and down performer.

In total candor, of course, the Spurs have a better than 75-25 chance to beat the Mavs. The Spurs have earned the right to have a potential matchup against Dallas be considered a cakewalk.

Now the homer glasses are making you sound ridiculous. I agree that had the two teams met in late May of 2007, the Spurs would've prevailed, because one team was burned out and the other was humming along and playing up to their capabilities. But a cakewalk? A sweep? Please. We won the last playoff series, we took the season series 3-1, and you're seriously arguing that the Spurs would roll in a noncompetitive cakewalk?

If you can't admit that Spurs have earned the right, as champions, to be considered the prohibitive favorite, then you aren't being honest with yourself or other posters and there isn't any point in talking with you.

I just said repeatedly that I believe San Antonio would've won a playoff series this year, and of course going into next year, barring injuries and a roster shakeup, they'll be favored to repeat. But if Dallas comes back next year intact and the two teams meet in the playoffs, it's a tossup, and the outcome will have to do with who has the momentum and who is playing the best ball at the moment. If you keep insisting that the Spurs would roll "in a cakewalk," then you are the one not being honest and further dialogue is pointless. I honestly don't get it. Losing to Golden State was an upset, but Richardson missed 30 games, Davis missed 19, and they had a major talent upgrade with the Jax/Harrington trade. The talent level of the two teams made it more akin to a second-round matchup than a 1 vs. 8 series. They were 26-35 on March 4 and with the new roster and everybody healthy, they went 16-5 down the stretch with lots of wins over playoff teams. And they present the same kind of matchup problems we do to San Antonio. Jeezus, you make it sound like the Mavs are no better than the Celtics or Bobcats. Take off the hater glasses and try to be rational.

Findog
06-15-2007, 05:13 PM
The Spurs and Dallas both give each other match up problems.. They are the best 2 teams in the NBA and it is a toss up when they play!

Most of their games always go down to the wire...so next year if we meet Dallas in the Playoffs it will get another epic and great series, in which either team can win!!!!!

Dallas and San Antonio are both that good!

a rational, non-homer Spurs fans. Kudos to you and Congratulations on the newest addition to the trophy case.

dallaskd
06-15-2007, 05:53 PM

expect terry to be traded and they will be heavily shopping dampier.

ImpartialObserver
06-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Brilliant move by Pop. Ordinarily, the Spurs and Suns would be getting all the "who's the best" attention next year during the regular season allowing the Mavs to play under the radar next season like the Spurs did this year. But Pop didn't even wait 24 hours after winnning a title before taking away the Mavs' advantage of playing under less scrutiny, and it's clearly an advantage for a championship caliber team. Look no further than the Colts title run last year in the NFL because it was the first season in a while where Peyton wasn't hyped incessantly to win it all, and lo and behold, they won the title.

td4mvp3
06-15-2007, 08:56 PM
expect terry to be traded and they will be heavily shopping dampier.
who would want dampier? well, i guess the celtics or knicks.

spursreport
06-16-2007, 12:15 AM
I am not saying overlook the Mavs and act like they are the Minnesota Timberwolves. Of course respect them but dont over respect them. Miami and Golden State had respect but also didnt take any of their shit and didnt treat Dirk like a god. It is simple. Get physical with the Mavs especially Dirk and they piss their pants. Knock them on their ass anytime they drive and they wear down and get intimidated of going to the hoop. The Mavs have no inside game and they will never come close to winning a title unless they address that. They also arent physically or mentally tough enough to win a title not to mention lack a true leader. Sadly the spurs didnt do that last year but this year they did that in the playoffs. The Mavs wont even beat a healthy Suns team (they havent even proven that they even could do that). Amare will get so many easy dunks and Nash always play well against his former team not to mention others getting open shots.