PDA

View Full Version : Spurs copy their plays from Argentina?

nkdlunch
06-15-2007, 11:25 AM
lanacion.com

Magnano: "Hay jugadas similares"
Viernes 15 de junio de 2007 | Publicado en la Edición impresa Noticias de La nacion

Desde Italia, donde por estos días definirá si continúa como DT de Varese, Rubén Magnano es reacio a aceptar que San Antonio puede haber copiado aspectos de la estructura del equipo argentino que él dirigió. "Creo que sería faltarle el respeto a San Antonio decir que tomó cosas de la selección que me tocó dirigir. Es que dentro de la NBA, los Spurs son el equipo que más parecidos tiene con el básquetbol de la FIBA, el que se ve aquí en Europa. La mayor coincidencia es que hay dos referentes campeones olímpicos como Ginóbili y Oberto que tienen mucha importancia en el juego", dice Magnano en una charla telefónica con LA NACION.

Aunque cuando se profundiza un poco más sobre ciertos sistemas de juego reconoce: "Hay jugadas similares, como el inicio del flex ofensse que hacíamos. Es cierto lo que dice Carlos Morales, los movimientos no los inventa uno, cada entrenador hace sus modificaciones de acuerdo al personal que tiene y le pone un poco de lo suyo". Magnano cuenta que nunca habló con Gregg Popovich: "Apenas nos saludamos las veces que nos enfrentamos con la selección". Dice que está viendo la final de la NBA, "pero en diferido, porque se juegan en la madrugada de acá".

Magnano(ex-argentina coach): "there are similar plays"

From Italy, where these days he will decide if he will continue as club coach, Ruben magnano is reluctant to accept that San Antonio could have copied aspects of Argentina national team's structure that he coached. "I think it would be disrespectful to San Antonio to say that they took some things from my national team. But inside the NBA, the Spurs are the team that most resembles FIBA basketball, that is seen here in Europe. The biggest coincidence is that there are 2 olympic champions like Ginobili and Oberto that
are very important in their game" states magnano in a phone conversation with La Nacion.

Although going deeper regarding certain of their game systems he recognizes: "There are similar plays, like the start of flex ofensse that we used to do. It is true what Carlos Morales says, nobody invents the movements, each coach makes their modifications depending on the available personnel and puts his own style" Magnano tells that he never spoke to Popovich "We barely said hello the times we played against each other". He says he is watching the NBA finals "but not live because they are played at early in the morning here"

Mr. Body
06-15-2007, 11:27 AM
It takes genius to steal.

ArgSpursFan
06-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Some plays look the same,I must say.
But I really think that Pop watches so much BB,that He takes the best plays He sees, and developes them a bit,for the NBA/Spurs style of play.
Pop is a genius,no doubt.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Well that one play where Manu hands it off to Tony and continues running in a circle is directly from the Argentine national team. I don't see a problem with it. There are only a certain amount of successful plays a team can run...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
The flex offense has been around since the 70s or so, it just had been forgotten here in the U.S. at the pro level with all the iso ball and pick and roll crap.

This is comical, the flex has its roots in the west coast, not South America. I'm sure Manu has made some suggestions for plays, but the flex has been around for a long time.

AnotherArgie
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
The flex offense has been around since the 70s or so, it just had been forgotten here in the U.S. at the pro level with all the iso ball and pick and roll crap.

This is comical, the flex has its roots in the west coast, not South America. I'm sure Manu has made some suggestions for plays, but the flex has been around for a long time.

I'm sure magnano's not saying he invented the flex offense. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called "flex" ;). The article just suggests that the beginning of the play is similar to Argentina's variation.

In this other article:

http://lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=917627&origen=relacionadas

They're a little bit more specific. They talk about:

- manu surprise aleey oop from the back lane.
- offensive transition with a high post and a low post.
- extended pick and roll, involving a third man.
- the fake pick, the tipical play by oberto and manu.
- and the "fabricio's back door".

As you see, it's nothing new here. The article just stands that these plays, that seemed to work well with the argentina NT, now are being used by Pop.

And I'm glad he does it.

Borosai
06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised of some ideas were borrowed, especially if they work really well with the personnel that you have (Manu).

manubili
06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
There's not a "copyright" for bball plays, so take whatever you need to win.

WalterBenitez
06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I knew ... I knew ... I knew

POP is a thief! :(

BeerIsGood!
06-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Everyone uses variations on the same plays. The Spurs just execute them better than most and as well as the best.

Solid D
06-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Meanwhile, John Wooden, Dean Smith and Lute Olson have called Pop demanding the Spurs stop using their plays.

ggoose25
06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
There's not a "copyright" for bball plays, so take whatever you need to win.
:clap exactly. its not like he stole his idea for a book or movie. jesus its just a basketball play. it would be stupid NOT to steal them with two argies on your team.

Marhq
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
You can't call this "stealing" because those plays are not owned by Magnano nor our NT. Pop did take some plays and I think it's great. Pop knows and values FIBA basketball.

Saludos.