PDA

View Full Version : What was up with Bill Walton tonight??

TNT21
12-04-2004, 01:50 AM
I didn't get to see the whole game, I caught it at about 5 mins left in the 4th, but Bill Walton kept bashing the Spurs. I didn't really understand why, it seemed like it was a good game, but like I said, I didn't see the whole game. Can anyone tell me why this overgrown mountain buttnugget was being so harsh?

spursfaninla
12-04-2004, 01:52 AM
because the spurs almost gave back the game from a 20 pt lead, that is why. we deserved the harsh criticism, i would have been utterly disgusted with our team if we had lost.

exstatic
12-04-2004, 02:03 AM
He was definitely hatin' on the Spurs. He certainly didn't talk as good about them when they were running Detroit out of the gym as he talked bad about them when they were struggling.

boutons
12-04-2004, 04:56 AM
Walton's primary goal is self-aggrandizing, overstated, out-of-control, florid bombast. Relating what's actually going on in the game is a distant second. Sometimes he's for the <team>, sometimes not. But he's always promoting himself as center of attention. He's a "color" prima donna, rather than "analyst".

johnny00
12-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Walton = the reason I listened to WOAI.

MI21
12-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Walton is great.

Realise he doesn't mean a lot of what he says and he is often being sarcastic and you will realise he is funny!

johnny00
12-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Maybe, but he's still an idiot and I guarantee 80% of America doesn't get the joke. I absolutely hate the way this guy comes off as NBA know-it -all when he had only two good seasons with Portland to win a ring, blows out his knees the rest of his carreer, ends up in Boston and rides the bench and Larry Birds coattails to get another ring. Why Is this guy rung up as one of the best centers to play in this league??? Because of his great college stats???

MI21
12-04-2004, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't say he rode the bench with the Celtics, he was 6th Man of the Year in 85-86.

maxpower
12-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Is the reason I watched the screwed up telecast on Fox Sports.

Anyway, if anyone hasn't caught on...Walton tends to talk in superlatives. It is either the greatest ever or the worst. It apparently sells...or so espn would have us believe...case in point...dj stewey scott, s.a. smith, tom tolbert, ballas, etc.

boutons
12-04-2004, 10:01 AM
"screwed up telecast on Fox Sports."

Wow, I was in tears laughing at the FSN pre-game! The video was fine, but the audio sounded like it was being played backwards and upside down BUT IN PERFECT MOUTH SYNC with the video, totally unintelligible, with the weirdest distortion, a science-fiction "language".

Devin's interview was hilarious due to his almost sub-sonic mouth noise contrasting with the chirpy mouth noise from the nerdy interviewer.

exstatic
12-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Jim Gray looks like one of those aliens from This Island Earth.

Jimcs50
12-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Damn, what a bunch of freaking over sensitive women. Walton gave equal time bashing both teams and praising both teams the whole game. I watched the game on tape this morning because I was at a party last night, but I heard every word by both ESPN announcers. Walton gushed over all the foreign pickups the Spurs have picked up, he praised TD over and over how he is having an MVP year w/o neccessarily scoring and rebounding because of all the things he does to help his team win, like screens, defense, etc etc. He praised Pop at least 3 times, he praised RC Buford, he said Rose was playing great, he praised Brown even though Brown hardly gets the mins, but that when he plays, he makes the best of it. He said Tony Parker was really starting to get into midseason form after a slow start, and is playing great ball. Need I go on???

Detroit should have been praised by Walton when they showed great pride in coming back on the road...they are the champs and deserve the praise...

Bunch of whiney pussies galore in here. :rolleyes

boutons
12-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Jim, see my variable <team>. :)

I bitch about his style, mostly.

His "the Spurs are falling apart" when they couldn't inbound the ball twice in crunch minutes is typical.

I was waiting for The Big Man to say "DET just fell apart" when DET inbounded the ball to Malik. :)

Jimcs50
12-04-2004, 02:37 PM
boutons, I was not talking about you. Walton is hilarious. One min last night he was praising Brown, then a second later right after Brown had a TO, Walton said, "bench him" with a chuckle...this is entertaining stuff, because Walton is a fan, and being a fan, he is schitzophenic, one min he is praising, the next min he is criticizing the player, but it is all tongue in cheek....anyone who knows anything, would know that.

ggoose25
12-04-2004, 03:24 PM
well then if : walton = typical fan,
then the typcial fan = blubbering idiot

SequSpur
12-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Walton kept saying Parker was 5 ft 9 and why was Detroit just letting him run around and score all game. ????????????????

His assessment of the fourth quarter was right on. The Spurs played the 4th quarter like they played the last 4 games of last years playoff series vs. the Lakers. Which is scarry.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-04-2004, 03:34 PM
I muted after TV after the he said something like "a wild shot is worse than a turnover." Maybe some day he'll accidentally bite his own tongue off with those horse teeth of his and ESPN can bring in someone with some clue. Which I guess means they probably won't be promoting from within.

Manu20
12-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Bill Walton even praise Sean Elliott. When they showed Pop arguing a call, Sean Elliott was also in the picture and Walton was like "Oh look at Sean how handsome, what a Person, what a Commentator, what a Player" :lmao

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, that was scary. I thought Walton was going to have to change his shorts in a second.

exstatic
12-04-2004, 05:29 PM
His "the Spurs are falling apart" when they couldn't inbound the ball twice in crunch minutes is typical.

Actually, I touched on that already, and they DID manage to inbound both times, after a timeout. Detroit was not so fortunate, throwing it away without much comment at all from the big goon.

Jimcs50
12-04-2004, 05:45 PM
well then if : walton = typical fan,
then the typcial fan = blubbering idiot

Have you ever been in Spurs chat during a game???

checkmate!