PDA

View Full Version : Far Far East Spurs Fans!

celldweller
06-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Atleast they think were a Dynasty (http://www17.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=2351276&extra=page%3D1) !!!

Extra Stout
06-15-2007, 08:56 PM
There are a lot of Spurs fans in China. Tony Parker actually fits the profile of players the Chinese adore -- little, wiry, fast guys -- because Chinese are more likely to be little, wiry, fast guys than 7'5" Garmin-hawking centers.

BigBigSpurs
06-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm a university students in Shanghai.

Yes, we all believe that the Spurs became a Dynasty. But ironically most Chinese fans prefer Tim and Manu to Tony. Last night when MVP was presented to Tony Parker, all of us insisted that MVP should be given to the Big Three.

pwilliam
06-15-2007, 10:02 PM
I am a Spurs fan from Hong Kong~~

slayermin
06-15-2007, 10:09 PM
There are a lot of Spurs fans in China. Tony Parker actually fits the profile of players the Chinese adore -- little, wiry, fast guys -- because Chinese are more likely to be little, wiry, fast guys than 7'5" Garmin-hawking centers.

Says the resident expert in Chinese culture.

spurs1990
06-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow..nice to see the Spurs get love from Rockets Country, China.

judaspriestess
06-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I am a Spurs fan from Hong Kong~~

ooohhh Hong Kong, one of the top five destinations for me to visit in the next year or two :spin

Glad to know there are Spurs fans there

BigBigSpurs
06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
In fact, there are a great number of Spurs fans in China. We have our own home: http://www.chinaspurs.com. You see, only Rockets, Lakers and Spus have such a favor in our country. Spurs is not alone here.

PS "Spurs" in Chinese is "马刺".

BigBigSpurs
06-15-2007, 11:55 PM

Expert are not always right, esp. on foreign culture.
We love Tim, for his calm and steadiness. The quality is consistent with LaoZi's view in our tradition. We call him "stone Buddha" and "stone tower".
We love Manu, for his courage and passion. The quality is consisitent with Libo's temperament in our culture. We call him "Mr. Impossible" and "the son of the wind".
Also we love Tony,too.
But Tim and Manu is much more favorable.

judaspriestess
06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
In fact, there are a great number of Spurs fans in China. We have our own home: http://www.chinaspurs.com. You see, only Rockets, Lakers and Spus have such a favor in our country. Spurs is not alone here.

NICE!! thanks for posting.

awwww look, no suns of bitches or mavpricks over in the Far East :nope

SpursIndonesia
06-16-2007, 01:41 AM
I miss Shen Lei (Lineesh), she's a big -young- Spurs fan from China in the forum back then. She posted quite often in the past, i wonder where she is right now.

Slomo
06-16-2007, 04:59 AM

PS "Spurs" in Chinese is "马刺".You see that's where computers are still weak. It would be immensely cool if the PC was able to dynamically translate that forum into english and vice versa so we could post there.

Can you write GO SPURS GO in chinese for me?

team-work
06-16-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm also from Hong Kong. I'm glad for the Spurs.

BTW, "马刺" is the simplified form of Chinese (used in mainland China), "馬刺" is the traditional form (used in HK and Taiwan).

Tigole Bitties
06-16-2007, 06:50 AM
what I don't understand is how the Mavericks get translated into "little cows" in Chinese.

pwilliam
06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
what I don't understand is how the Mavericks get translated into "little cows" in Chinese.
Some years ago when the Mavs were still using the old logo (with no horse on it), some stupid newspapers/fans did not know what "Mavericks" means and looked up a dictionary, only to find "little cows" and "little horses". They didn't know which one is correct and so randonly chose "little cows". But after the Mavs have used the present logo (with a horse on it), many people here have started to call them "little horses". Only a stubborn few who got accustommed to the name "little cows" insist no change. :spin

Manu Pacquiao
06-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Dirk Mooowitzki

BigBigSpurs
06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
You see that's where computers are still weak. It would be immensely cool if the PC was able to dynamically translate that forum into english and vice versa so we could post there.

Can you write GO SPURS GO in chinese for me?

Go Spurs Go in Chinese is "马刺加油!".

Tippecanoe
06-16-2007, 07:21 PM

awesome :toast

Extra Stout
06-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I read it somewhere... one of those articles about the NBA's huge popularity in China, I think in the New York Times. They didn't say anything about Tony specifically, just that allegedly the little quick players were popular.

But actual Chinese people trump the NYT.

marini martini
06-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Can you get this forum in english? That would be awesome if we could all read & post on it :toast

Extra Stout
06-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Obviously Americans writing about the NBA in China have whiffed on the whole idea of comparing players to ancient philosophers.

marini martini
06-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Fu Man Chu=Tony Parker????????

Tigole Bitties
06-17-2007, 12:28 AM

heh... pin yin:
"MA XUE JIA YOU!"

phonetically:
"mah shh-ooo-eh jahh YO!"

:lol

BigBigSpurs
06-17-2007, 02:28 AM
heh... pin yin:
"MA XUE JIA YOU!"

phonetically:
"mah shh-ooo-eh jahh YO!"

:lol
No, pin yin:
"ma ci jia you"

phonetically:
"ci"is quite difficult to write down. You know, "coats", "ci" is the same as "ts" in the word "coats".

Slomo
06-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Go Spurs Go in Chinese is "马刺加油!".Thanks!

Now I'm going to make a T-Shirt and make millions on the chinese market! :lol

Seriously though, I saw plans for a kick ass basketball arena being built for the olympics where the outside four walls of the building would be giant jumbotrons. Is that thing being built?