PDA

View Full Version : What I Love About the Spurs

Clutch20
06-16-2007, 10:11 AM
When I read this Pounding the Rock game blog from dimemag, I just had to place it here, please indulge me a bit. (a thousand pardons if it's already been posted)
I think Mark speaks for a lot of Spurs fans in San Antonio and around the league :)

Four for Four!
By Matthew Powell

In my past I made the mistake of believing the good things in life only came at a price. I believed Dostoyevsky's portrayal of suffering as an experience to be valued. And though I still understand the notion of valuing ones own hard work, determination and perseverance, I am a different person now.

The Spurs had an easier road through the playoffs this year compared to previous championship seasons. They were blessed with few injuries and had the good fortune of watching their biggest obstacle getting bounced in the first round. Despite all this I agree with Tim:
"This one's sweeter," Duncan said.

As a fan my reason is simple: I LOVE this team.
I don't care if the fans of every other team hate them. I don't care if they are labeled as dirty, ugly, boring, thugs or floppers. I don't care if they fail to fit some arbitrary definition of a dynasty. The media, the fans, the rest of the NBA players and coaches can all piss the hell off.
Because I love this team, we love this team, and we're the champs. Four for four!

Why do I love this team?
Well, for starters, I love the fact that the players actually seem to genuinely like each other. When's the last time you even heard a rumor about two Spurs not getting along?
I love that the Spurs ended the season winning ten of their last eleven. I love that they swept the clearly inferior team from the clearly inferior conference and never once looked worried, rattled or even phased.
I love that Popovich didn't say one thing during the trophy presentation. He doesn't care because it's simply not about that for him.
I love that Michael Finley got the ring he deserves. I know I threw him under the bus towards the end of the season, but I never disliked the man. He always played hard and within the system. He never complained and was always quick to praise his teammates and the Spurs organization. His play definitely improved at the end of the season, peaking with his ridiculous 8 threes and 26 points in the close-out game against the Nuggets. We won't forget that Fin. Nor will we forget you holding the championship game ball and saying "I might just put it in the bed
between me and my wife."

I love that Bruce Bowen held Lebron James to 32-90 in the Finals. 32-90. And he did it while playing over 40 minutes a game, committing a total of only 7 fouls and never once giving anyone any reason to question the cleanliness of his play.

I love that Fabricio Oberto came up with multiple big plays in the fourth quarter. I love that I got the feeling he had been there before. I love that a 32 year old Argentinian with minimal NBA-level basketball skills can mesh so well with a championship team.

I love that Jacque Vaughn didn't manage to screw this up for us. Just kidding Jacque. You were prepared to do your part every night and brought ceaseless energy. God. I'm sounding like Mark Jackson.

I love that Manu Ginobili came back after a miserable game 3 performance and took it to the Cavs the entire fourth quarter, scoring 14 of the Spurs 23 points. I love that he jumped past a pump-faking Damon Jones with 8 seconds to play and up six, and instead of letting him take a wide open three he contested the shot from behind, getting all ball but getting called for a foul. I loved the look on Pop's face.

I love that Pop understands that you just have to let Manu be Manu. He doesn't ever give in.

I love that Tim shot the ball horribly but still finished +6 for the game. That's Tim Duncan in a nutshell. He's like an iceberg: the most impressive part of his game is missed by most fans who don't look deeper. Holy crap. Am I a freaking genius or what? He's The Iceberg from now on.

I love that Tony Parker convinced me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he was the rightful winner of the MVP award. I love that the man absolutely torched Cleveland for three quarters and then selflessly gave the ball up in the fourth, when the Cavs were dumb enough to put Damon Jones on Manu. I love that he shot 57% for the series and even pulled down 5 boards a game. And I especially loved that move in the second quarter when he faked the crossover on Gibson and nearly sending the poor rook sprawling. I love that I giggled like a school when that happened. I love that when he was being presented the MVP award you could see his fiance Eva crying and taking pictures. I love that they seem to really love each other. For all the talk about beautiful a couple they are, and for all the talk about how efficient a team the Spurs are, people seem to be missing out on what's important: the love.

It's about the love people.

And winning championships. Four of them, to be exact.

wildbill2u
06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I love the way you write because I happen to love all those things about our Spurs too.

One more thing: I love the way the Spurs had everyone on the dais last night at the celebration and introduced them to the fans--from the guys who just pass the players the ball at shootarounds to the publicists.

Simply thinking of including those folks in the moment of glory is a sign of a great and classy organization.

One more thing: I love our owner Peter Holt for being a fan but without the faults of most rich guys to interfere and fuck around with their toy to show everyone who's the boss. What a rarity in todays NBA. Props to you, Holt-Cat.

Clutch20
06-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I love the way you write because I happen to love all those things about our Spurs too.

One more thing: I love the way the Spurs had everyone on the dais last night at the celebration and introduced them to the fans--from the guys who just pass the players the ball at shootarounds to the publicists.

Simply thinking of including those folks in the moment of glory is a sign of a great and classy organization.

One more thing: I love our owner Peter Holt for being a fan but without the faults of most rich guys to interfere and fuck around with their toy to show everyone who's the boss. What a rarity in todays NBA. Props to you, Holt-Cat.
Love transcends all. I know it sounds kinda new-age wildbill2u and borderline mushy but what else explains the glue that binds the Spurs squad together, almost in totality?

What, in a more stretch of the imagination, makes posters like me come back
to put in their 2 cents worth?

In a modified phrasing of the Cowardly Lion's words; What do I got that they don't got?

Love.

Just ask Angel.

Or Shoog.:p:

dav4463
06-18-2007, 10:48 PM
When I read this Pounding the Rock game blog from dimemag, I just had to place it here, please indulge me a bit. (a thousand pardons if it's already been posted)
I think Mark speaks for a lot of Spurs fans in San Antonio and around the league :)

Four for Four!
By Matthew Powell

In my past I made the mistake of believing the good things in life only came at a price. I believed Dostoyevsky's portrayal of suffering as an experience to be valued. And though I still understand the notion of valuing ones own hard work, determination and perseverance, I am a different person now.

The Spurs had an easier road through the playoffs this year compared to previous championship seasons. They were blessed with few injuries and had the good fortune of watching their biggest obstacle getting bounced in the first round. Despite all this I agree with Tim:
"This one's sweeter," Duncan said.

As a fan my reason is simple: I LOVE this team.
I don't care if the fans of every other team hate them. I don't care if they are labeled as dirty, ugly, boring, thugs or floppers. I don't care if they fail to fit some arbitrary definition of a dynasty. The media, the fans, the rest of the NBA players and coaches can all piss the hell off.
Because I love this team, we love this team, and we're the champs. Four for four!

Why do I love this team?
Well, for starters, I love the fact that the players actually seem to genuinely like each other. When's the last time you even heard a rumor about two Spurs not getting along?
I love that the Spurs ended the season winning ten of their last eleven. I love that they swept the clearly inferior team from the clearly inferior conference and never once looked worried, rattled or even phased.
I love that Popovich didn't say one thing during the trophy presentation. He doesn't care because it's simply not about that for him.
I love that Michael Finley got the ring he deserves. I know I threw him under the bus towards the end of the season, but I never disliked the man. He always played hard and within the system. He never complained and was always quick to praise his teammates and the Spurs organization. His play definitely improved at the end of the season, peaking with his ridiculous 8 threes and 26 points in the close-out game against the Nuggets. We won't forget that Fin. Nor will we forget you holding the championship game ball and saying "I might just put it in the bed
between me and my wife."

I love that Bruce Bowen held Lebron James to 32-90 in the Finals. 32-90. And he did it while playing over 40 minutes a game, committing a total of only 7 fouls and never once giving anyone any reason to question the cleanliness of his play.

I love that Fabricio Oberto came up with multiple big plays in the fourth quarter. I love that I got the feeling he had been there before. I love that a 32 year old Argentinian with minimal NBA-level basketball skills can mesh so well with a championship team.

I love that Jacque Vaughn didn't manage to screw this up for us. Just kidding Jacque. You were prepared to do your part every night and brought ceaseless energy. God. I'm sounding like Mark Jackson.

I love that Manu Ginobili came back after a miserable game 3 performance and took it to the Cavs the entire fourth quarter, scoring 14 of the Spurs 23 points. I love that he jumped past a pump-faking Damon Jones with 8 seconds to play and up six, and instead of letting him take a wide open three he contested the shot from behind, getting all ball but getting called for a foul. I loved the look on Pop's face.

I love that Pop understands that you just have to let Manu be Manu. He doesn't ever give in.

I love that Tim shot the ball horribly but still finished +6 for the game. That's Tim Duncan in a nutshell. He's like an iceberg: the most impressive part of his game is missed by most fans who don't look deeper. Holy crap. Am I a freaking genius or what? He's The Iceberg from now on.

I love that Tony Parker convinced me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he was the rightful winner of the MVP award. I love that the man absolutely torched Cleveland for three quarters and then selflessly gave the ball up in the fourth, when the Cavs were dumb enough to put Damon Jones on Manu. I love that he shot 57% for the series and even pulled down 5 boards a game. And I especially loved that move in the second quarter when he faked the crossover on Gibson and nearly sending the poor rook sprawling. I love that I giggled like a school when that happened. I love that when he was being presented the MVP award you could see his fiance Eva crying and taking pictures. I love that they seem to really love each other. For all the talk about beautiful a couple they are, and for all the talk about how efficient a team the Spurs are, people seem to be missing out on what's important: the love.

It's about the love people.

And winning championships. Four of them, to be exact.

Great post! It should be in the newspapers!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Great article and I agree with willbill as well.

Some other things I love - the values this entire franchise radiates - community, teamwork, persistence.

I love the fact that David Robinson is still a huge part of the franchise to the point where they get him up on the dais for trophy ceremony.

I love the Spurs' unshakable composure and discipline.

And i love Spurs FANS!!!

I love the Spurs!!! Say it loud and say it proud!

:danceclub