PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Life With Matt Bonner

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.wkxl1450.com/dynamickxl/

Starts at 12:05 until 12:25

Fabbs
06-16-2007, 11:06 AM
didn't even get thrown a 30 second bone in Gm 1 or 2 like Pop gave Beno Undies.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:09 AM
It's been taped. Matt talked about how it was a journey from preseason to regular season to the playoffs. How they overcame so many adversities. Reporter asked what is the definition of this team. Matt said it starts with Tim Duncan day in and day out. Tim does everything. Starts with his leadership. Combined with the great veterans on the team. Staying poised no matter what Cleveland threw at them.

Reporter talked about Matt's ride from Concord to Gainesville to Italy to Toronto to SA. Matt said it hasn't sunk in and probably won't until he's back home. He talked about the thousand of hours he's put in.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Reporter asked what thoughts were going through his mind as the seconds counted down. Matt said watching Larry Bird bring home a championship to Boston. He talked about the celebration after and can't wait to walk off the plane in SA.

Reporter asked him about being one of a couple hundred guys to win one. Matt talked about getting Finley a championship after 12 years and thousands of points. Matt said he was lucky in his 3rd year to be a part of this special team. He's planning on enjoying the experience.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Reporter talked about role players. He said Matt you were starting last year in Toronto and how he was one of the best in HS and in college. Matt said no one single player wins a championship that you have to sacrifice and fulfill your role in order to win. He says again he can't wait to celebrate with the fans.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Reporter talked about his 3 state championships and asked him about if this compared. Matt said this is better.

Matt said the celebration after the game was unbelievable and awesome. It was even better once we got in the locker room. There were tons of bottles of champagne and beer. They waited until Tim, Tony and Gino came into the locker room. Pop came in and was talked about practicing. Then it was a melee with the champagne.

Sweetey
06-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I love the Red Rocket and feel that he will become a very good player for the Spurs. Pop will use him more when he feels he is ready. We just have so many awesome, experienced players right now that Matt will have to be patient and I think he is willing to do that.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Matt said in game 3...they had to play a 48 minute game. A lot of poor decisions and didn't shoot well. But defense helped out. They couldn't let the Cavs pull it out.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Matt said that in game 4...one sequence of offensive rebounds was a clincher and mentally put Cavs in a hole. They couldn't get a rebound. They missed a lot of open shots.

The team stepped up and stopped Lebron. Spurs played unbelievable defense. Matt said game plan was a team effort. Starts with Bruce chasing, but the team said they were going to stop him. Main strategy was to keep him out of the paint. Make him make jump shots. Elbows in the box with everyone else to show up to help. How anyone else could beat them but not Lebron.

After commercial, they are going to ask Matt about the dynasty.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Reporter starts asking about the emotions. Matt said that Spurs were a little nervous about it but they had been in the situation before and their experience helped at the end of game 4. On the bench, they were nervous but trusted the big three.

Reporter asked about Lebron. Matt said that he probably learned that he needs to work on his jump shot. People compare him to Jordan and Jordan had to learn to shoot the jumper. He's young so he will learn. Matt said if he gets a jumper. I don't know how we stop him.

Dynasty...Matt said he doesn't know. Doesn't feel like a dynasty to him because it's his first year. Doesn't compare to UCLA or Bill Russell just like Coach Pop said. In the modern day, they are. Best organization around.

Sam
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Reporter talks about the turnover in the roster throughout the years of the championships. Matt said it's Coach Popovich's system and giving them the plays to win.

Reporter asks about TP's MVP. Matt said he deserves it. If TP doesn't come to play then we may not win Game 3 and 4. He was great in the playoffs.

Reporter asks about Pop's talks. Matt said that he has learned so much from Pop. Said that Pop and Coach Donovan are a lot alike about what they say. How it's a long journey and you can't get too high or too low. It's a big grind. Spurs buy into that. Pop doesn't call too many timeouts in the regular season so you learn to how to figure things out. You learn how to win down the stretch. Matt said that overcoming the adversity in the early season helps in the playoffs. It's not a sprint but it's a marthron.

He's celebrating the championship in the Concord at his charity concert on July 14th. He's going to check on getting the trophy and bringing it home for the NH residents. He'll be on one last time next week to talk about the fans of SA and the parades.

Borosai
06-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I wonder if he's going to be re-signed. Has he said anything lately?

Sam
06-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I wonder if he's going to be re-signed. Has he said anything lately?
Said he feels about 80% likely that he will be. That they are talking like he's a part of the future of the team. He thinks they want him around.

Solid D
06-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Pop said on a radio show during the regular season that he hoped Matt would be a Spur for long time...or something similar to that.

Bruno
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I wonder if the fact that Horry plays one more year will hurt Bonner signing.
To me, Bonner was Horry's sucessor as the PF who can shoot 3's to space the floor.
Pop and PJ said Bonner will be a long time Spurs when the trend about Horry was a retirement at the end of the year.
With Horry no retirement, Spurs can now wait one more year to get Horry's sucessor. I will be curious to see if it will change something about Bonner.

Borosai
06-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Said he feels about 80% likely that he will be. That they are talking like he's a part of the future of the team. He thinks they want him around.

I wouldn't be surprised... he seems to be a Spur-type player... smart, hard worker, team player, etc. I hope he gets some of Horry's regular season minutes and hustles his ass off. That would be great. :downspin:

ChumpDumper
06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
If Bonner comes back at around the same price as this season, it's close to a no-brainer signing.