PDA

View Full Version : How special are the Spurs? Look at their relationships

ducks
06-16-2007, 10:47 PM
How special are the Spurs? Look at their relationships
By David Aldridge
Inquirer Staff Writer

GREGORY SHAMUS / Getty Images
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich (center) is flanked by two of the franchise's core players, Tony Parker (left) and Manu Ginobili, after their NBA Finals sweep.
CLEVELAND - When San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich met with team owner Peter Holt a couple of years ago to talk about a contract extension, the one person who thought it might not be a good idea was . . . Gregg Popovich.
"He said, 'Are you sure you want to do this?' " Holt recalled Thursday night. " 'Because they've tuned me out,' he said. That's what I think his genius is, is the fact that he understands when they tune him out, and he doesn't try to force it when they do. He just waits it out, and then the guys are ready."

Stop.

Go back and read that paragraph again.

The coach who already had won a couple of championships, and likely could stay as long as he wished, was admitting to his boss that he no longer was effective at his job. And the boss, now aware that his players no longer were listening to his well-paid coach, felt no compulsion to fire him.

Each is as rare an occasion in sports as, say, a team winning four titles in a nine-year stretch.

But such are the Spurs, an organization as unconventional as it is stodgy. San Antonio has become the standard by which other NBA franchises are measured (and, increasingly, are copied) because of an amazing set of relationships - between owner and coach, between coach and star player, between star player and the rest of the team.

The Spurs don't always win, but they always compete. After Thursday's 83-82 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and a four-games-to-none Finals sweep, they know there's one thing left that would eliminate all remaining doubt about their status as one of the greatest teams in NBA history.

A repeat title.

"I'm being very selfish next year," said forward Robert Horry, who won his seventh championship in 15 seasons Thursday, becoming the first non-Celtics player to accomplish the feat.

"I want my eighth ring," Horry said. "That would be eight in 16 years - half my career. I'm going to be more outspoken than I ever was. . . . Hopefully, I can go out with eight. I'm going to be like Shane. I'm going to ride off into the sunset. You won't know if I'm dead or alive."

Highly motivated by losing to Dallas in the playoffs last season, and to get 12-year veteran Michael Finley his first ring this season, the Spurs nonetheless had to overcome a terrible (for them) first two months. There was great uncertainty that San Antonio could turn it on in the second half of the season.

But Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford opted to not make a deal at the trade deadline.

The Spurs then got hot in March and April and ran through both the Western Conference and the Cavaliers, who were wholly overmatched in becoming just the eighth team in league history to get swept.

San Antonio's core group of Holt, Popovich, Buford, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili shows no signs of cracking. Duncan, who can opt out of his contract after next season, also could get a two-year extension of his current deal that would pay him another $51 million through 2011.

The relationship between Popovich and Duncan is taking on the overtones of the one Bill Russell had with the late Red Auerbach in Boston - more than player-coach, but what? Duncan's late father was a big part of his life; he doesn't need a father figure. But are they friends? Confidants?

Said Duncan of Popovich: "I can say no more than he defines the team. He always has, and as long as he's here, he always will."

Said Popovich of Duncan: "You can't just have a basketball relationship, I don't think, because over time that gets real old, and that's the way it's been with Timmy. Obviously, I've been with him the longest. Oftentimes we don't even have to speak. When you're with your best buddies, sometimes you don't say anything. You're just in the same room and you don't need to talk."

And because Duncan - a fierce competitor who doesn't need platitudes or rah-rah speeches - has the respect of his teammates, the Spurs are always on the same page. There are likely jealousies in their locker room, but they are microscopic ones.

San Antonio probably could stand to bring in an athletic power forward this summer to help defend against the unending string of big men in the West. But for the most part, the Spurs stick to the plan and stick with one another.

Even when the players tune out the coach, and everyone knows it.

"I'm not smart enough to replace the coach," Holt said. "Come on. How many owners have had luck doing that? It's trust. I trust Pop. I trust R.C. I expect progress but not perfection, and I understand the difference."

Contact staff writer David Aldridge
at 215-854-5516 or [email protected].

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20070616_How_special_are_the_Spurs__Look_at_their_ relationships.html

ducks
06-16-2007, 10:49 PM
horry is going to keep the spurs hungry next season :fro :smokin

ducks
06-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I so want the spurs to repeat

spurscenter
06-16-2007, 11:07 PM
holt is a smart man

"I'm not smart enough to replace the coach," Holt said. "Come on. How many owners have had luck doing that? It's trust. I trust Pop. I trust R.C. I expect progress but not perfection, and I understand the difference."

florige
06-16-2007, 11:10 PM
I so want the spurs to repeat

Hey Ducks.. I know you critique LBJ pretty heavy. Do you see him only becoming a glorified Dominique Wilkens? Or do you think he will be a great player someday?

ducks
06-16-2007, 11:16 PM
he needs a shooting coach
he needs to watch mj play
he needs to want to play ball because he loves it not because he wants to be the first one to make a billion dollars

I think he has the talent to be the best player in the nba
he just has to realize 48 minutes is what the game is not 24
james played well late in game 4
he needs to play the way he did in the 4 quarter in game

ncaa really would have helped him

ducks
06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I think james is a great player now
just not on the same level as kobe and not close to being compared to mj now
he has to decide what to do quicker
it comes with experience
23 turnovers is terrible and bowen did not cause all of those

ducks
06-17-2007, 10:15 AM
horry 8 rings in 16 years =awesome

SenorSpur
06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
holt is a smart man

Holt is a smart man. The "hands-on" approach isn't always the best one. Other owners (particular those of Dallas' professional sports teams) would be better served if they took notice of Holt's philosophy.

Strike
06-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Holt is a smart man. The "hands-on" approach isn't always the best one. Other owners (particular those of Dallas' professional sports teams) would be better served if they took notice of Holt's philosophy.

I will say this about Mark Cuban. At least he has balls, unlike his star player.

SouthernFried
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Horry sucks when he's selfish. He ain't got the ability to be selfish. He needs passes when he's open, he can't create his own shot. When he's selfish he does stupid things. When he's playing within the team...he gets rings.

Dumb statement by Big Rob.

boutons_
06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Spurs need a repeat to be up there more solidly with Celtics, Bulls, Lakers,

Robert wants #8,

the Mavs and Suns need perennial spankings and eternal frustration,

all converging to provide motivation.

CubanMustGo
06-17-2007, 02:25 PM
A repeat title would take away the last ammunition Spurs' detractors have.

One for da Thumb!