PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Spurs have it all together

whottt
06-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I am only posting the first page of a 5 page article...but it's a nice and very informative article. Lots of good stuff in here.

If you click on the link you can read the other 4 pages.

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/06/17/spurs_have_it_all_together/?page=1

Spurs have it all together
Pieces are in place for even more titles
By Peter May | June 17, 2007

Gregg Popovich recently bought 47 acres of land in Vermont, where he plans to build a home. He's not happy the news got out; credit the Bennington Banner for that. But it's not as if he's going to turn into Bob Newhart overnight. Suffice it to say that the first shovel will hit the ground when Tim Duncan walks out that door, never to return.

Article Tools
Printer friendly
Single page
E-mail to a friend
RSS feeds
Available RSS feeds
Most e-mailed
Reprints & Licensing
Share on Digg
Share on Facebook
Save this article
powered by Del.icio.us
More:
Sports section |
Latest sports news |
Globe front page |
Boston.com
Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts And that won't be for a while, which is good news for Popovich and the folks in San Antonio, and bad news for everyone else.

The Spurs not only have won three of the last five NBA titles, they could easily have won the other two, losing to the Lakers in 2004 (the series-turning play being Derek Fisher's Game 5 heroics at the end) and to the Mavericks last year (the series-turning play being Manu Ginobili's foul on Dirk Nowitzki near the end of regulation in Game 7). They haven't even repeated yet, but you have to figure they will be in the mix for several years.

The reason? Duncan, of course. Tony Parker was the Finals MVP but that was like giving the 1981 MVP to Cedric Maxwell or the 1988 award to James Worthy. Yes, the award winners played great. But everyone knows who the real MVP was (including, by the way, Parker, Worthy, and Maxwell).

"Guys want to come play here," said Spurs general manager R.C. Buford during the Finals. "People are willing to sacrifice to do that. We've had a long list of guys do that: [Steve] Kerr, [Danny] Ferry, [Terry] Porter, Mario [Elie], and now [Michael] Finley and [Fabricio] Oberto.

"A lot of those guys had better offers. Tim allows this to happen. I think they have an appreciation playing for Pop and knowing that it's going to be fair and reasonable. But it starts with Tim. You got the honey, the bees will come."

Indeed. And Duncan isn't going anywhere or, presumably, losing any of his "honey." So the "bees" should continue to come. Duncan is signed for three more years (at roughly the same amount the Celtics decided to pay Paul Pierce) and is still only 31. The other key guys, Parker (25) and Ginobili (30 next month), aren't going anywhere, either. Ginobili is signed through 2010 and Parker through 2011.

The Spurs will basically return the same group next year with minor tweaks. (We're not sure of Matt Bonner's fate, sadly. The pride of Concord will be a free agent.) Veterans Finley, Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, and Brent Barry are all signed through 2008. Oberto has a player option; can't see him deciding to pass on a possible repeat. If San Antonio does not bring back Jacque Vaughn, it'll have at least one space available. (Bonner would be another.) The Spurs have the rights to several bodies playing in Europe, including menacing Argentine Luis Scola.Continued...

WalterBenitez
06-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I assume TD will play til 36, Manu around that age, Tony (well he's so young) and Bruce til 45? with that scenario we need young blood around.

wildbill2u
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
I thought the most interesting observation was that Pop held Duncan out of the playoffs in 2000--his option year--because of his knee injury.

How many coaches, faced with the loss of a player that summer after the playoffs, would have the character to hold the player out of the playoffs simply to protect the player's future?

POP didn't know if Duncan would stay or go but still did the right thing for the player instead of being selfish. Man, that is impressive and is an indication of why Pop inspires love and trust in his players.

TheTruth
06-17-2007, 10:15 AM
does "continued" mean there is more to the article??

AnotherArgie
06-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Yes, the Spurs' biggest asset is its reputation as a franchise. That makes it a very tempting place to play for any player.

jag
06-17-2007, 10:42 AM
does "continued" mean there is more to the article??

doesnt it usually?

duncan228
06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Nice wrap-up article. Thanks for posting it.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Gregg Popovich recently bought 47 acres of land in Vermont, where he plans to build a home. He's not happy the news got out; credit the Bennington Banner for that. But it's not as if he's going to turn into Bob Newhart overnight. Suffice it to say that the first shovel will hit the ground when Tim Duncan walks out that door, never to return.

Hobby farm in Vermont? Pop's membership in the Northeastern liberal cogniscienti is assured. Small wonder he hates Barry so much.

SequSpur
06-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Matt Bonner sucks. He didn't even play in the playoffs... Dude is worthless.

boutons_
06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
"Hobby farm in Vermont?"

I met a guy from Maine in Jamaica who said he and his wife run into Pop's wife when the Pop's are visting their home on the ME coast. With the Vermont purchase, it looks like Pop prefers 4 full seasons over the sun-belt.

SA210
06-17-2007, 11:25 AM
"I don't know how much longer people have to say things about Bruce in terms of the way he defends. Just look at what he's been able to do the last four to five years, especially at playoff time. It speaks for itself. He guarded me when I was with Seattle, and when he was on me, I couldn't do anything. I think he was guarding me when I got out of my car. LeBron James should be flattered that we put Bruce on him."

:lol