PDA

View Full Version : Vecsey : Danny Ferry wants Beno

Bruno
06-17-2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06172007/sports/sonic_boom_for_p_j__sports_peter_vecsey.htm?page=2

Cavaliers GM Danny Ferry would love to pry Beno Udrih from the Spurs to become his team's starting point guard.

Bruno
06-17-2007, 08:24 AM
starting point guard

:lmao

whottt
What do the Cavs have to give for him?

td4mvp3
can we get lebron?

KEDA
06-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Im gassing up my car right now, Ill take him up there!!!

KEDA
06-17-2007, 08:25 AM

a six pack of Miller Lite and some cold chicken wings!

Bruno
06-17-2007, 08:29 AM

Cavs have a trade exception big enough to take Beno's contract.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Sadly, if it's Peter Vecsey reporting this, Danny Ferry actually said he wants beans with his barbecue for Father's Day.

MI21
06-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Well, with LeBron, Beno wouldn't have to bring the ball up :)

Seriously though, Danny, there are much better options out there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Seriously though, Danny, there are much better options out there.

Shut. Up.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Beno could actually succeed in Cleavland, he is a very good passer, and with major minutes he would likely cut down on his turnovers and get back into rhythm offensively

MI21
06-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Shut. Up.

Beno is a good luck charm, and with him the Spurs have a 66% championship winning rate :)

:lol but seriously, what would the Spurs want in return? Perhaps a future 2nd round pick..

Bruno
06-17-2007, 08:49 AM
The fact that Cavs have a trade exception big enough for Beno is very interesting for Spurs. Trading Beno for a trade exception will alow Spurs to have one more roster spot to work with a young PG and more space below the luxury tax.

Cavs have too David Wesley : he will retire but only $250K of his salary are guaranteed. A Beno for Welsey trade is too a good trade for SA.

spurscenter
06-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Watch out ladies in Cleveland!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-17-2007, 08:58 AM
:lol but seriously, what would the Spurs want in return? Perhaps a future 2nd round pick..

Beno for Boobie.

Make it so, Presti.

(I'm under the belief that the Presti to Seattle story was pure CIA Pop in an effort to have Presti select Kevin Durant and Acie Law and trade their rights to the Spurs for the rights to Luis Scola.)

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Watch out ladies in Cleveland!

Speaking of which, somebody should link Vecsey's story to Beno's MySpace.

mattyc
06-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Sell! Sell! Sell!

spurscenter
06-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Sadly, if it's Peter Vecsey reporting this, Danny Ferry actually said he wants beans with his barbecue for Father's Day.

ha

Slinkyman
06-17-2007, 09:38 AM
i don't think vecsey fully understands the meaning of the word "pry".

freedom&justice
06-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Beno for Lebron, straight up! :lmao
Sounds to me like Ferry's getting a tad bit desperate. Cleveland has zero picks in this draft, and no one's gonna give up a first round pick for any cavs player not named Lebron James.

ducks
06-17-2007, 09:53 AM
ferry and rc will get a deal done if cavs want benoo

Manu Pacquiao
06-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Beno played pretty decently for Slovenia national team. Played well actually. Maybe he needs more playing time and confidence. He didnt suck so bad playing limited minutes his rookie year.

djohn14
06-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Take Beno before, they'll be no gas.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 10:06 AM
The fact that Cavs have a trade exception big enough for Beno is very interesting for Spurs. Trading Beno for a trade exception will alow Spurs to have one more roster spot to work with a young PG and more space below the luxury tax.

Cavs have too David Wesley : he will retire but only $250K of his salary are guaranteed. A Beno for Welsey trade is too a good trade for SA.

Cavs have no picks in this draft. Hmmm....what if the Spurs could expand such a deal to include a S&T for Pavlovic?

ploto
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Obviously, Danny knows more about Beno than anyone here does, so I hope this happens for him. Beno has too much talent to spend his best years sitting on the bench.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Surely talented Beno could beat out 43 year old Jacque Vaughn for a spot in the rotation.

Borosai
06-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Beno is better than anything they have right now, and a change of scenery would do him good at this point. Plus it opens up a roster spot... it's a win win for everyone.

Texas_Ranger
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
:lol!

L.I.T
06-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Ooooo...Danny Ferry with another brilliant basketball move.

Sounds like more James as point/forward is in the Cavs future.

SlovenianGuy
06-17-2007, 10:24 AM
If this is true, Beno could be the next Robert Horry.

No, I'm not talking about clutchness but about the ability (luck?) to be in the right place at the right time.

Cavs will probably win the title in the near future.

Bruno
06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Cavs have no picks in this draft.

I don't know if Beno trade value is high enough to get a draft pick higher than a late second round pick. I'm not even sure that a nba team is ready to take his contract without some incentives from Spurs.

Beno's salary for next year is $1.75M and Spurs are in the luxury tax area. If Spurs can find a way to dump Beno's salary, it will help them to spend money on other players. If Cavs offer a trade exception or Wesley for Beno, I do it in a second. Another deal possible is Beno for Shannon Brown but I rather have a roster spot and more money than Brown.

HJNTX
06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Let's make a deal then!! :clap

Kermit
Obviously, Danny knows more about Beno than anyone here does, so I hope this happens for him. Beno has too much talent to spend his best years sitting on the bench.
beno is extremely talented at knitting and making homemade tampons from indian hair.

spurscenter
i think beno will shine in Cleveland. he just lost his confidence in SA. He will be good. not great but good. he fits well in that system since its still a spurs style system.

exstatic
06-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Cavs have no picks in this draft. Hmmm....what if the Spurs could expand such a deal to include a S&T for Pavlovic?
That's what I was thinking.

jag
06-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Things have certainly changed in the last year. He went from being a great prospect to a sean marks type of player.

jag
06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
i think beno will shine in Cleveland. he just lost his confidence in SA. He will be good. not great but good. he fits well in that system since its still a spurs style system.

What people dont realize it he's a good player, and a hell of a shooter. Some young players respond well to Pop's tirades (Tony), other dont....(beno). Tony got more confident, Beno obviously lost his confidence and turned into a worthless robot on the court.

Budkin
06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Take him!!!

50 cent
06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I would be excited about this if it weren't for Vescey being the one to report it.

MajorMike
06-17-2007, 11:23 AM
How about a s&t for Andy?

SA210
06-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't care what anyone says. Beno will do well.

velik_m
06-17-2007, 11:45 AM
:lol

i can't believe Cavs are that desperate for a PG...

Though Beno did have 0 turnovers in the finals... :downspin:

clubalien
06-17-2007, 11:53 AM
beno + scola for their Center
Sure their center doesn't score alot but he is definatly serivceable for us.

Would low to have ebn wallace here but we didn't get him in free agancy.

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 11:58 AM
beno + scola for their Center
Sure their center doesn't score alot but he is definatly serivceable for us.

Would low to have ebn wallace here but we didn't get him in free agancy.

Their center? You mean Illgauskas? Ever heard of the CBA? Obviously not.

PS: Ben Wallace is an overrated piece of shit. I wouldn't ever waste my money on him.

Bruno
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Beno is talented enough to be a good nba player.
Cleveland is maybe a good fit for him.
Cleveland is in luxury tax troubles and the big edge of Udrih is to be cheap. Cleveland doesn't have enough money to land a good PG, gambling on Beno is maybe the best thing to do for them.

SpurYank
06-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I have always felt Beno was a pure shooter who could kill the opposition with his three's. On a team that isn't crazy about defensive schemes, he could be a real asset. I hope Ferry takes him out of here so his potential can be realized. Once upon a time, Pop saw this same potential in him, and that's why we drafted him. Beno was more in the fan's dog house than he was in Pop's (IMO). Jacque fits better with our style of defense, but Jacque doesn't compare with Beno's scoring potential. Steve Kerr is a Beno type, and we think the sun rises and sets on him.

angel_luv
06-17-2007, 12:07 PM
If Beno is wanted as a starting point guard by a good team and organization, I hope for his sake that he gets to go there.

I'll be sorry to not have him here though.

Extra Stout
06-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Beno for David Wesley's contract is acceptable. If the Spurs can finagle a second-round pick out of it, that's a steal.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Beno makes sense for a team who can work around that nasty 'bringing the ball up the court' issue.

silk
06-17-2007, 12:11 PM
You know beno can be a solid , good , or decent player in this league , i think he would play well off Lebron and with a coach slightly less tough and demanding than pop.

But he will have to make progress in defense. He will certainly suprise a lot of you once he get his confidence back and minutes up in an other team and environment.

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Beno is talented enough to be a good nba player.
Cleveland is maybe a good fit for him.
Cleveland is in luxury tax troubles and the big edge of Udrih is to be cheap. Cleveland doesn't have enough money to land a good PG, gambling on Beno is maybe the best thing to do for them.

Agreed. And if Beno crashes and burns then he comes off the books after one year anyways.

clubalien
06-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Their center? You mean Illgauskas? Ever heard of the CBA? Obviously not.

PS: Ben Wallace is an overrated piece of shit. I wouldn't ever waste my money on him.
yeah I mean Illgauskas

he has got his Hook shot, rebounds great , and his plays defense that woudl only improve next to duncan.

If he is avilable in a trade I think he coudl improve the spurs.

jag
06-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Either way it seems that hes done with the spurs...but What do you guys consider to be beno's biggest downfall??

Ball handling?, Defense?....

I've always thought he was a great shooter, and with more work i think he would work out great. Duncan has always been able to get shooters open looks.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 12:48 PM
but What do you guys consider to be beno's biggest downfall??Handling defensive pressure -- no doubt.

Slinkyman
06-17-2007, 01:04 PM
the cavs need someone who can shoot, and that's the only thing beno is good at so it's a perfect fit. I just don't know who they can offer to make this work, i'd take gibson though that's not likely to happen.

samikeyp
06-17-2007, 01:08 PM

That's what I was thinking.

As was I. I don't think it would happen but I would like it.

jag
06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Handling defensive pressure -- no doubt.

It certainly looked that way with the mavs, and the pistons.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 01:11 PM
A free look at Brown or a future second rounder is fine with me.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 01:12 PM
It certainly looked that way with the mavs, and the pistons.....and Chuck Hayes....

SouthernFried
06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd take several guys on the Cavs.

Pavlovic had several "manu moments"...I'd take him in a heartbeat. Godin was great with that 10' shot, killed Duncan when he was out of position. Either of the other 2 bigs have potential also.

Pavlovic tho...gimme, gimme, gimme.

exstatic
06-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Beno is done here. He has talent, but doesn't have the mental makeup and toughness to be a Spur. He's perfectly happy collecting his check and cruising the clubs for honeys, and that'll get you by on probably 25 NBA teams that don't have any standards of accountability. People are going to blame this on Pop, as if he treats everyone the same. From what I've been told, they've tried everything, screaming at him, being nice to him and positively re-enforcing, and ignoring him. Nothing worked. I arrived at a bit after 6 to see Game one of the Finals, and got to see them shooting warmups. Tim was out at the 3 point line with Beno, joking with him, teasing him a bit and generally being nice and inclusive. I swear to God, unguarded and warming up, Beno hit like 3-20. He's just lost here and needs a change of scenery as much as the Spurs need to be rid of him.

timvp
06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Beno makes sense for the Cavs. Like I've said for a while, Beno isn't a point guard. He isn't a good enough ball handler to bring the ball up the court on a consistent basis.

Beno in a Daniel Gibson type role would be pretty decent ... if he can relocate his shot. He's not that bad of a defender when he's in shape and he's a good passer.

The talent is there but I highly doubt it's going to ever work out in San Antonio. Beno's two favorite things are Latinas and breakfast tacos so I assume he's enjoyed his time here. However, if he ever wants to become serious about this basketball thing, Cleveland sounds like a good opportunity.

I think Pavlovic is overrated. He's decent but won't be worth the contract he'd get. I'd rather trade Beno for nothing than an overpriced Pavlovic.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-17-2007, 03:56 PM
If the Spurs wanted to get rid of him they would have long ago, but Cavs may need to ive up Veradjo if they want a starting PG in return

Mr. Body
06-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Good pick-up by the Cavs if it happens. He's a good shooter and decent talent who needs to build some confidence. Great risk at one year, still very young. In Cleveland, too, he won't have to bring the ball up against pressure, just pass and knock down shots. I really like this for them.

For the Spurs, just tossing him away frees a roster spot. They should try to get a future second rounder for him; that's fair. I could care less about Shannon Brown at this point - roster spaces are more important.

Kamnik
06-17-2007, 04:03 PM
i hope it happens

SenorSpur
06-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Spurs should be able to easily find a backup PG or combo guard in this year's draft. In fact, during ESPN.Com's first draft listing, Chad Ford's predicted the Spurs would take an interest in the following rookie PG:

Gabe Pruitt
Position: PG
Height: 6-4
Weight: 170
School: USC

Mr. Body
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
yup.

texasqb2
06-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I'd deal Beno for the last pick of the draft

SequSpur
06-17-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm going to miss Beno and Bonner.

timvp
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
A nice scenario would be to trade Beno, draft a young point guard and re-sign Vaughn. Then let Vaughn, Aaron Miles and the rookie point guard battle it out in training camp and see who wins the backup job.

At worst, you have Vaughn again at backup.

texasqb2
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Bye bye Beno, Bonner, Vaughn, Barry, Elson, Butler, and I wish Horry (or back at the min)

Slo spurs fan
06-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Bye bye Beno, Bonner, Vaughn, Barry, Elson, Butler, and I wish Horry (or back at the min)
Dream on.

texasqb2
06-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Dream on.

Who off that list is a SURE thing to be back?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Who off that list is a SURE thing to be back?

Who off that list is a SURE thing to be gone?

I wouldn't mind the Spurs dealing for a future pick, but Shannon Brown or a S&T for Pavlovic wouldn't make me sad either.

K-State Spur
06-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Sure thing? none of them. But individually, odds are in favor of each of them returning.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Beno - likely gone if they can find a taker. His time in SA seems to be up.
Bonner - I think the Spurs want him back and will make him a respectable offer. The real question is can he handle sporadic minutes for one more season or will seek out a larger role with another club.
Vaughn - The Spurs will not just let him go. It will be difficult to find a better backup point heading into next season.
Barry - I'm sure the Spurs will listen to offers. He should be attractive to some clubs due to his expiring contract and his name.
Elson - I don't see the Spurs running him off unless they need to. He had his struggles this season, but he and Oberto formed a decent tandem at the 5 and were an overall upgrade over Mohammed/Nesterovic for a much lower price tag. It's hard to find bigs with his athleticism in the NBA and based on the history of other Spur free agent acquisitions, it takes a season or so to get acclimated to the team's system.
Butler - Spurs would be foolish to let a young big like him go this early.

Steve-O-Matic
06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
The only way this would seemingly work is to make a 3-team deal, because the Cavs have absolutely NOTHING on their current roster that the Spurs would want in return (not counting the obvious, i.e. LeBron), they won't part with Daniel Gibson (at least not to acquire Beno, and Gibson isn't a fit for the Spurs anyway), and they have no draft picks this year. And I don't think that Cleveland's trade excpetion alone would be enough to entice SA.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Getting rid of Beno automatically fills that gaping hole at the reserve point guard position the Spurs have had for a few years now.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 06:12 PM
The only way this would seemingly work is to make a 3-team deal, because the Cavs have absolutely NOTHING on their current roster that the Spurs would want in return (not counting the obvious, i.e. LeBron), they won't part with Daniel Gibson (at least not to acquire Beno, and Gibson isn't a fit for the Spurs anyway), and they have no draft picks this year. And I don't think that Cleveland's trade excpetion alone would be enough to entice SA.A future second rounder would do it. A free look at Shannon Brown might be nice too, espcially if Ferry pays his salary.

Steve-O-Matic
06-17-2007, 06:33 PM
A future second rounder would do it. A free look at Shannon Brown might be nice too, espcially if Ferry pays his salary.

Neither a future 2nd round pick, nor Shannon Brown (who is horrible, by the way), would be deemed more valuable than simply having Beno back on the team again next year. Keep trying.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Of course it would be more valuable to have those instead of Beno. Spurs are pushing the luxury tax threshold.

I'm done trying with Beno.

CubanMustGo
06-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Neither a future 2nd round pick, nor Shannon Brown (who is horrible, by the way), would be deemed more valuable than simply having Beno back on the team again next year. Keep trying.

Bwahahaha. Salary dump >>>>>>>> Beno.

Steve-O-Matic
06-17-2007, 06:45 PM
The Spurs were $12.2M over the cap this year - Beno counted $968K. Where exactly is the big "salary dump" here?

I'm all for turning the page on Beno, too, but not for a future late 2nd round pick (never mind for an equally-priced and less-valuable Shannon Brown).

Slinkyman
06-17-2007, 06:45 PM

how do you know shannon brown is horrible?

CubanMustGo
06-17-2007, 06:48 PM
The Spurs were $12.2M over the cap this year - Beno counted $968K. Where exactly is the big "salary dump" here?

I'm all for turning the page on Beno, too, but not for a future late 2nd round pick (never mind for an equally-priced and less-valuable Shannon Brown).

Over the cap = 100% penalty tax. He's scheduled to make $1.7M next season, so a total of $3.4M for a warm spot on the bench. Once again, salary dump >>>>>>>>>>>> Beno.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 06:49 PM
The Spurs were $12.2M over the cap this year - Beno counted $968K. Where exactly is the big "salary dump" here?cap <> tax threshold. Salary dumps don't have to be big -- they just have to be dumps.

I'm all for turning the page on Beno, too, but not for a future late 2nd round pick (never mind for an equally-priced and less-valuable Shannon Brown).So are you holding out for a lottery pick or Kobe?

ShoogarBear
06-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Beno guarding Tony in next year's Finals.

:lmao :lmao

Soul_Patch
06-17-2007, 06:51 PM
ill buy him a bus ticket and some cheetos.

Cry Havoc
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM

That's roughly 8% of the cap we need to get rid of. And since his salary will increase, it's even more than that. Are you saying we should keep that 8% so we can let him sit on the bench for 82 games?

Don't forget about Tony guarding Beno. :lol

Vito Corleone
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
I think Beno is worth a lower 1st round pick, I would even give him up for a future 1st round pick. Billups took about 6 years to develop as a quality PG, I doubt he will become a Billups but I could see him turning into a starter in this league.

Darkwaters
06-18-2007, 12:11 AM

:lmao :lmao

What is even funnier in my opinion is the thought of Beno going to his first Cavs/Spurs game after changing sides and getting his ring. The look on all those returning Cavs players faces when it basically gets rubbed in their face again.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Beno will end up in Charlotte or Memphis before he ends up in Cleveland.

RADECK
06-18-2007, 03:13 AM
great for Beno, he deserves minutes, not playing is killing(killed) his confidence, so let him go.
But Vaughn wont be quite good solution if something hapens to TP.

T Park
06-18-2007, 03:41 AM
great for Beno, he deserves minutes, not playing is killing(killed) his confidence, so let him go.

What has he done that warrants him minutes?

So its pop's fault that Beno can't play anymore?

Why do i feel like this is Beno logged in.

Like how he reacted from that friggen myspace
"I lost my confidence"

fucking pussy ass bitch.

RADECK
06-18-2007, 03:53 AM
Nobody was blaming Pop, i just said that is better for him to go somewhere he will play JERK!!!!!!!!

mikekim
06-18-2007, 04:54 AM
I have a feeling Beno will become the Anti-Speedy Claxton...

But not enough to cause any major regrets of letting him go...esp. if he goes to the eastern conf. I think it will be more like a "Oh that little Beno...I'm glad he's finally doing well." (and maybe some mutterings of "that stupid little prick should've done half what he's doing while he was with us.")

J.T.
06-18-2007, 05:35 AM
I'd trade Beno for a #5 at Taco Bell.

mountainballer
06-18-2007, 07:16 AM
I think Beno is worth a lower 1st round pick, I would even give him up for a future 1st round pick. Billups took about 6 years to develop as a quality PG, I doubt he will become a Billups but I could see him turning into a starter in this league.

smoking the right stuff I can see myself turning into a starter in this league.
Beno's current value for sure isn't a 1st rounder. we should be happy if we get a mid level 2nd rounder.
trade him to the Cavs for a future 2nd rounder. Cavs own a trade exception, they can use for this.
1.7 M would be the equivalent of a LLE contract, which the Spurs then could offer to a FA, without getting deeper into lux tax territory.
btw. a trade exception is usually a nice thing to have and might be very helpfull at deadline next season.

hater
06-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Cavs have nothing we want.

only good thing from this is that if cavs are dumb enough to want Beno, there's gotta be someone else who might want him.

get rid of Beno please.

Mr. Body
06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
btw. a trade exception is usually a nice thing to have and might be very helpfull at deadline next season.

I don't believe the Spurs will then retain the trade exception. It doesn't exist as something to pass around from team to team - once it's used by the first team, it's done.

ObiwanGinobili
06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
I hope they have enough man-purse stores in Ohio to keep him happy :spin bye! Beno!

SAGambler
06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
What people dont realize it he's a good player, and a hell of a shooter. Some young players respond well to Pop's tirades (Tony), other dont....(beno). Tony got more confident, Beno obviously lost his confidence and turned into a worthless robot on the court.

What I have maintained all along. Beno could be one of those players in the doghouse, so they dump him, and he comes back to bite them in the ass.

That's one trait I don't like about Pop. He knows how to encourage talent but he can discourage it in another player.

Money316
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
i don't think vecsey fully understands the meaning of the word "pry".
:lol :lol :lol

Money316
06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
De yu go

King
06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Either way it seems that hes done with the spurs...but What do you guys consider to be beno's biggest downfall??

Basketball

Mr. Body
06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
What I have maintained all along. Beno could be one of those players in the doghouse, so they dump him, and he comes back to bite them in the ass.

Exactly which players were in Pop's doghouse who came round to bite them in the ass?

King
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
If Beno is wanted as a starting point guard by a good team and organization, I hope for his sake that he gets to go there.

I'll be sorry to not have him here though.

Just out of curiosity, why? From a basketball standpoint, he hasn't done anything. He just sits on the bench.

mountainballer
06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't believe the Spurs will then retain the trade exception. It doesn't exist as something to pass around from team to team - once it's used by the first team, it's done.

ok, if it doesn't work this way, IMO it is still a good thing to get rid of Beno for whatever pick, because (as mentioned) it gives us some room under the threshold. not much, but better than nothing.
I would rather save the money or sign a FA for this kind of money, than waste another year. 1.7 million might be enough to get Bell or Blake.
or to get a veteran who wants a shot at the title.

Money316
06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd deal Beno for the last pick of the draft
One Mr Irrelevant for another!!!

:fro :fro

ChumpDumper
06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't believe the Spurs will then retain the trade exception. It doesn't exist as something to pass around from team to team - once it's used by the first team, it's done.The Spurs would have a calendar year from the date of the trade in which to use the trade exception for themselves.

Darkwaters
06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Exactly which players were in Pop's doghouse who came round to bite them in the ass?

Linton Johnson

Thet guy would have been a perfect fit for a small ball 4 last season. Hes a great athlete, rebounds, plays decent defense, and has a developing offensive game. He would have been a great 8th or 9th man role player that costs virtually nothing. Instead, we have no depth at the 3.

Darkwaters
06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
One Mr Irrelevant for another!!!

:fro :fro

You do realize that Manu Ginobili was the second to last pick in his draft, right?

Mr. Body
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Linton Johnson

Thet guy would have been a perfect fit for a small ball 4 last season. Hes a great athlete, rebounds, plays decent defense, and has a developing offensive game. He would have been a great 10th man role player. Instead, we have no depth at the 3.

He's never 'bit them in the ass' - he's never beaten them in the sense the poster meant it.

I don't even think he's made them regret letting him go.

Money316
06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
You do realize that Manu Ginobili was the second to last pick in his draft, right?
I do understand your point; however, it doesn't change the fact Beno was Mr. Irrelevant this year (in my opinion) which is what the last player in the draft is generally referred too.

The fact Ginobili was one pick removed from being labelled Mr. Irrelevant his draft year doesn't change the argument above. Logically they are mutually exclusive.

How many top 10 picks have bombed over the years? How many undrafted picks (ie. Bowen) have succeded in spite of not being drafted.

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/replacements/replacements.jpg

" ... it's the same difference." as illogical as it might sound.

:fro

Darkwaters
06-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I do understand your point; however, it doesn't change the fact Beno was Mr. Irrelevant this year (in my opinion) which is what the last player in the draft is generally referred too.

The fact Ginobili was one pick removed from being labelled Mr. Irrelevant his draft year doesn't change the argument above. Logically they are mutually exclusive.

How many top 10 picks have bombed over the years? How many undrafted picks (ie. Bowen) have succeded in spite of not being drafted.

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/replacements/replacements.jpg

" ... it's the same difference."

:fro

I was really just trying to be a smartass. But I understand your point. And I agree, Beno was Mr. Irrelevent. And if we get the last pick in the draft it will probably simply be another Kaurolev.

CubanMustGo
06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I was looking at one of the classic threads, the Suns game in '05 where the Spurs were down huge at Phoenix in the 4th (like 17 pts), Horry was out, Rasho (the starting center at the time) was injured during the game and out. This was the game where Amare did his infamous pushup routine late in the game after a slam.

To make a long story short the Spurs came back to tie it in regulation and won it going away in OT. And who was one of the key factors in the comeback but ... Beno. It's a damned shame the kid totally lost his nerve because from THAT game you could see that he could play, at least against a team that played no defense. Oh well. Better luck in your next stop, kid.

spurscenter
06-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Basketball

shoooo nuff

Vito Corleone
06-18-2007, 03:19 PM
smoking the right stuff I can see myself turning into a starter in this league.
Beno's current value for sure isn't a 1st rounder. we should be happy if we get a mid level 2nd rounder.
trade him to the Cavs for a future 2nd rounder. Cavs own a trade exception, they can use for this.
1.7 M would be the equivalent of a LLE contract, which the Spurs then could offer to a FA, without getting deeper into lux tax territory.

Is this an opinion or has there been something written about this by a coach or front office guy?

dbreiden83080
06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Why does he need someone to wash his car on the weekends??

Bruno
06-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Is there something about this rumor in the Slovenian press or is ti just again a Vecsey BS news ?

WalterBenitez
06-18-2007, 08:28 PM
go ahead, I'll pay the plane ticket

jaespur21
06-18-2007, 09:11 PM
bye beno

exstatic
06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Having ploto for a fan.

coachmac87
06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
beno isnt a bad player...just does not fit with the spurs..he is a slow pg but has a badass jumper and is a very crafty passer...but still cant guard anybody...i will take beno over jaque....who i think is worthless...i hear that the spurs are thinking about resigning????? are u kidding me??? he hustles....um ok i remember the day when espn did a special how he went so many games without a field goal...spurs could do better on a back up pg

Obstructed_View
06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Beno would be a great fit for the Cavs. He's a good scorer, he's a good passer, and Lebron can bring the ball past midcourt for him. He never has to worry about the coach yelling at him.

picnroll
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe Brown and Ferry can rebuild his confidence. Best of luck to him.

T Park
06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Having ploto for a fan.

Damn, exstatic hit a grand slam on that suma bitch.

ducks
06-18-2007, 10:14 PM
james deserves beno

Bruno
06-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Not really a better source than Vecsey :
http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3

San Antonio and Cleveland are talking trade right now, as the Cavs are very anxious to get into this draft and find a piece that might help them in their efforts to return to the finals next year. Their owner is supposedly firmly behind them, and they could try to buy a pick in the late first round (Phoenix and Philly’s picks are available at 29 and 30). If they don’t, it’s possible they trade a future pick for San Antonio’s late first rounder and also nab Danny Ferry’s favorite, Beno Udrih in the process.

#28 + Udrih for a trade exception + a future first is a quite good deal to me.

timvp
06-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Not really a better source than Vecsey :
http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3

#28 + Udrih for a trade exception + a future first is a quite good deal to me.

That's the exact trade Marcus Bryant said in the draft chat that Mr. Body shouted down. I wouldn't want the Spurs to make the trade but it's very possible they would.

T Park
06-26-2007, 02:12 AM
trade exceptions dont fucking guard Dirk Nowitzki.

This is complete and utter bullshit.

Fuck this shit spurs, your supposed to be goddamn getting better!!!!!!!!!!!!

coopdogg3
06-26-2007, 02:20 AM
trade exceptions dont fucking guard Dirk Nowitzki.

This is complete and utter bullshit.

Fuck this shit spurs, your supposed to be goddamn getting better!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a trade exception would guard Dirk better than Beno could.

T Park
06-26-2007, 02:25 AM
One of the deepest drafts in recent history and the Spurs will just punt away.

"Fuck getting younger"

Yeah great move RC and company.

Absolute bullshit.

They don't learn SHIT.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Trading the #28 for a future first is an ok deal to me.

The 28th and 33rd picks are very close picks : only 4 players will be picked between them. If a player is available at 28, he will likely be available at 33.

Do Spurs need the 28th and 33rd pick ?
I'm not sure of that.
Spurs are maybe the nba team with the most bigmen : up to 8 PF/C could be with Spurs next year. Spurs are fine at SG with Manu and James White who was last year 31st pick and who has had a quite good rookie season with SA.
Spurs can use a pick on a PG and a pick on a SF/small ball PF. I see nothing wrong with drafting a PG (even more if it's a combo guard) but I'm not sure that the draft is the best solution to get a SF.
A SF/PF is spurs biggest priority (Pop said it). Do you think that a player like Dominic McGuire, Jared Dudley or Wilson Chandler is the answer ? I don't, it's not enough. Spurs should get their SF/PF via FA/trade.
Dumping Beno's contract will allow Spurs to have more flexibility money wise and roster spot wise. Trading the 28th for a future first will give Spurs another asset to get via trade a SF/PF this summer or at the trade deadline.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 04:25 AM

That's the exact trade Marcus Bryant said in the draft chat that Mr. Body shouted down. I wouldn't want the Spurs to make the trade but it's very possible they would.

The conclusion is:

1) Marcus Bryant has deep connections with the Spurs or Cavs front offices,

or,

2) Jonathan Givony or someone else at DX is ripping trade ideas off from Spurs Talk

Slinkyman
06-26-2007, 04:31 AM
As long as the spurs add a back up PG and a SF i could care less how they do it. Just do it.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2007, 04:45 AM
The conclusion is:

1) Marcus Bryant has deep connections with the Spurs or Cavs front offices,

or,

2) Jonathan Givony or someone else at DX is ripping trade ideas off from Spurs Talk3) You should never shout anyone down because you never have a clue.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 04:48 AM
The trade is nonsense to me. Cleveland receives the top two items in the trade: 1) a shooter they need, 2) the pick they are desperate for.

Meanwhile, the Cavs would have had the #22 pick this year. There is no indication they'll stop getting the #22 for the next several years.

So basically the Spurs are getting 6 draft spots and making up for the mistake of picking up Udrih's option for the right not to draft in this year's first round.

I guess it's possible. It might mean White and Butler are definitely staying and there is no room for anyone besides the new young point guard. It might mean the Spurs don't really care for what they see at the end of the round.

I don't see why the Spurs do Cleveland such a favor. Udrih + 33 makes more sense to me, but whatever. If it happens, it truly sucks and will speak to a real weakness in the Spurs' scouting capabilities (domestically) - it shows a total lack of confidence and we'll be assured of some threads of kvetching over the couple players (btw. 28 and 33) we failed to take this year - worse, anyone subsequently picked, since we only came away with one player from this draft, someone like Zabian Dowdell.

timvp
06-26-2007, 05:13 AM
28 and Udrih for a future first isn't a fantastic trade but I could live with it as long as the Spurs get a decent player at 33. Udrih right now has negative trade value. Who would even give you a second round pick for him right now without making you take something back?

A future first rounder from Cleveland could be good. They only won 50 games this year. If LeBron misses games, the pick could end up in the 15-18 range.

Again, I wouldn't love the trade, but it is a trade that goes along the lines of trades we've seen from the Spurs before.

It'd basically be a future first rounder most likely between 18-26, $1.7M in salary off the books and an extra roster spot that the 33rd pick can fill for the third to last pick in the first round. Thinking about it like that makes the trade seem pretty decent.

Unless Beno is traded, there isn't even really a roster spot for the 33rd pick. Put Mahinmi/Scola in place of Ely, re-sign everyone else and the team would be full.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 05:22 AM
For those thinking this could be a really good pick in the future, Cleveland would put this under heavy lottery protection going forward, as is typical. I can see this trade happening. The player there at 28 was the same longshot as always, but it does mean all the Spurs are expecting from this draft is a back-up point guard. But then, the Spurs got where they are not from daring but by being conservative. I could go with punting the pick instead of taking Jared Dudley, then taking Dowdell.

The real problem is that this team, plus Dowdell plus Mahinmi, is not any better than what we had last year. We did win the championship, but we still don't look any more competent vs. Dallas.

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 05:34 AM
the not so good part of this deal would be, that this is a very deep draft and the upcomming draft 2008 isn't looking deep at all. so the #28 pick this year might enable to get more quality than the mentioned #22 pick next year.
so I do think that some more pieces would be part of the package.
don't forget that the Cavs could add Shannon Brown. he might be somehow intriguing, even if he had a very bad first year (and injured himself when he started to look better). Cavs picked 2 similar players last year (Brown and Gibson) and the success of Gibson will put him far ahead of Brown.
I don't know, if Brown could find a place at the Spurs, but he is a good defender (at least could become one) and has a good reputation as being coachable and a hard worker.
but if the Spurs want to save money, this isn't a option. in this case they might just ask for another future 2nd rounder along with this years 1st rounder.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 05:45 AM
I don't imagine the Spurs want to take on another unproven player out of the deal, Shannon Brown or otherwise. Part of the appeal for them would be to clean out the salary, open the roster spot. I'd guess moving the draft pick from this year to next (or 2009) is actually secondary to the other benefits: there are too many young players on the team as there is.

From a fan's perspective it sucks, but there is a strangulated logic to it.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 06:01 AM
How big would the trade exception be? If it's the size of Beno's current contract, what the hell could they go out and get with that at deadline time? Tell me it's some automatic $5M exception that the Spurs could use on a gunner/expiring contract at the deadline to put them over the hump....

With so many good prospects potentially there, I'm not in love with this deal....but I guess I might have to live with it.

exstatic
06-26-2007, 06:45 AM
The good thing about a trade exception is that if someone talented, like White last year, were to get caught in a numbers game at the end of camp this year, we'd be first in line.

Danny obviously didn't learn much while he was here if he wants a late first rounder.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 07:21 AM
The Spurs need to find a taker for Udrih and his $1.7 mil or whatever salary in 2007-08 and they probably do not want any salary coming back. I'm still not buying that they no longer care about the lux tax. They cannot be that keen on using #28 on a domestic player, after all they have the #33 as well as White, Butler, and Mahinmi if he joins the team this summer. That's enough inexperienced/rookie talent for a Spurs team trying to win championships now. Cleveland doesn't have any picks and of course there is the Ferry/Brown connection. Cleveland gets value (presumably) for its trade exception and a pick this year. Spurs get rid of an unwanted guaranteed contract and a pick they don't really want (unless one of Fernandez, Belinelli, and Splitter are available).

It's not easy finding teams who will want to deal with the champs. Atlanta comes to mind. In any event, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs deal their 1st rounder on Thursday night. As for Beno, he looks like a goner and at this point a change of scenery would serve him well professionally. Also, it can't hurt to have a working deal relationship with some teams in the league.

Spurs fans are so hell-bent on getting one over on every move the Spurs make, from players to other team's front offices. Like it or not you have to let the other side feel like they've gotten something out of a deal besides the privilege of shining Peter Holt's boots.

picnroll
06-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Whatever pick the Spurs get from Cleveland will just be burned to get rid of some future signing mistake anyways.

zeleni
06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Barry/Beno stays. Everybody stays. And they go for a repeat.

But there will be some adjustments:
-Oberto starts 82 games. Elson plays the blowouts
-Voughn&co retires after a repeat, so Pop will give him a season to remember.
-Barry and Beno both play mostly with the young bigs, White and Bonner.
-Horry, Voughn and Finley won't see much of their minutes. Maybe even Bowen.

The next season Spurs switch generations. I am sure of that.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
For those thinking this could be a really good pick in the future, Cleveland would put this under heavy lottery protection going forward, as is typical. I can see this trade happening.

Don't be so sure. Depending on how bad Cleveland wants a deal that gives them a point guard who could start for them, they could go a bit easy on that, say top 5 protected.

The player there at 28 was the same longshot as always, but it does mean all the Spurs are expecting from this draft is a back-up point guard. But then, the Spurs got where they are not from daring but by being conservative. I could go with punting the pick instead of taking Jared Dudley, then taking Dowdell.

Conservative is going with Vaughn as your backup point guard and paying close to the minimum for the 3rd point guard instead of $1.7 mil next season.

The player at #28 is a longshot. If they have one or more of Fernandez, Belinelli, and Splitter highly rated then perhaps they will keep #28.

The real problem is that this team, plus Dowdell plus Mahinmi, is not any better than what we had last year. We did win the championship, but we still don't look any more competent vs. Dallas.

They'll get better via a larger trade or in free agency with their MLE.

Ocotillo
06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Give Beno to Tau in exchange for waiving Scola's buyout.

CubanMustGo
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Give Beno to Tau in exchange for waiving Scola's buyout.

Hey hey! I like! :drunk

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 09:25 AM
They'll get better via a larger trade or in free agency with their MLE.

You may be right, but that makes even less sense. What was available in trade or free agency last year? What's available this year? With our assets very minor, I don't know what they could get, unless we think the Nocioni trade is somehow likely - that was always a fond fantasy taken a hit by Scola's mewling.

As for trading the pick away, there does seem to be a trough of sorts at the very end of the round -- the best picks in the 20s will already be gone and the 28 pick, as many have said, will not be significantly different than the 33 pick. The Spurs may not get their first or second choice of back-up points, but they'll get their third. The usual bunch of idiots like Dudley, Nichols, Fazekas, McGuire, are none of them sure bets, and we weren't getting our starting SF at that pick, anyway, and as underwhelming as Butler and White have been, they're cheaper to retain than it is to add another player.

It's very underwhelming, but I see the logic to this kind of move. It'll do nothing to help win another championship, but we were going to win on gumption, not youth. It's too bad that two things are going to cost us in the end: 1) picking up Beno's contract, and 2) Oberto opting out of his contract.

Oh, Gee!!
06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Danny Ferry is a bigger moron than I thought

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 09:37 AM
If they dump Beno's salary and replace him with whoever they select at #33 then the increase in Oberto's salary will be negated. Plus it would probably be a little easier for the team to use the full MLE in that instance.

The way they get better is through free agency or through a trade. Of course, they have to be willing to take back a contract as the selling point on most of their tradeable assets is the expiring contract.

I'm not sure why suddenly free agency is not a bad prospect for the Spurs. A guy like Posey is available and is someone who you could use in spurts against perimeter-oriented bigs. It doesn't have to be a Nocioni or Pietrus that the Spurs snag in order to improve their title defense.

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
one thing makes me confident, that the Spurs will use at least 2 picks instead of trading away.
they have been working out so many players (must be almost 30 up till now), I can't remember when they ever worked out so many. many of them are 2nd round bubble.
and only one was international (Koponen, I didn't hear about another international workout. maybe in Europe and we didn't hear about it).
I take this as a sign, that they rally want to pick players for the team and not think of trading the picks in the first place.

Bruno
Trading Beno + #28 for a future first will help Spurs to get their long SF via trade or FA :

- If Spurs decide to go after a free agent , this trade will solve roster spots troubles by adding 2 rosters spots and will allow Spurs to have less luxury tax troubles.

- If Spurs decide to get their SF via trade, they will have an extra asset to trade with teh future first round pick.

If Spurs scouting staff don't think there is a good SF available at 28th, this trade makes a lot of sense for Spurs.

Mr. Body
Again, who is available in free agency? All it seems to be is: Posey, Pietrus, Nocioni.

If the Spurs are dumping salary, why do you think they'll spend it on a free agent?

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Trading Beno + #28 for a future first will help Spurs to get their long SF via trade or FA :

What long SF is available in trade or FA?

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
If the Spurs are dumping salary, why do you think they'll spend it on a free agent?

they want to sign a free agent (for probably the whole MLE), but don't want to pay lux tax?
the dumping of salary could be seen as an indication that this is their plan.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Again, who is available in free agency? All it seems to be is: Posey, Pietrus, Nocioni.

At least among swings.

Because they don't want to pay $1.7 mil for the 3rd string point guard who Pop has given up on twice.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Because they don't want to pay $1.7 mil for the 3rd string point guard who Pop has given up on twice.

So this isn't really about free agents at all, it's just the time-honored approach of using draft picks to dump salary.

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 09:50 AM

James Posey, Matt Barnes (not exactly extra long, but decnt size for a SF), maybe Gerald Wallace.

likely available (depending on the offer): Travis Outlaw, Dunleavy, Khryapa, Iljasova.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
So this isn't really about free agents at all, it's just the time-honored approach of using draft picks to dump salary.

It would help to make the addition of up to $5 mil in salary for a free agent using the MLE more palatable. Shave costs elsewhere so that you can focus your resources on what matters.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 09:53 AM

If you want a list :
Josh Childress
Gerald Wallace
Mickael Pietrus
Matt Barnes
Luke Walton
James Posey
Boris Diaw
James Jones
Jumaine Jones
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Damien Wilkins
Andrei Kirilenko
Matt Harpring
Ryan Gomes
Andres Nocioni
Viktor Khryapa
Devean George
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette
Hakim Warrick
Ruben Patterson
Ersan Ilyasova
Bostjan Nachbar
Renaldo Balkman
Travis Outlaw
Joey Graham

Some of them are pipe dream, some of them sucks, some of them aren't what Spurs needs but you should be able to find some names you like in this list.

yavozerb
06-26-2007, 09:55 AM

Maybe Khryapa from the bulls can be had along with nocioni..Might be wishfull thinking but he comes cheap and will not see the floor much again next season.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I understand the gamble - rolling the dice on a free agent coming. It's like a miniature Jason Kidd scenario, but do you really think there's a plan for any certain free agent? It's as likely just a cost-saving move. Since Udrih is dead weight, then fine, and if we do get a future first out of it, it's better than the waste of the 2009 2nd rounder we used to shave some of Eric Williams' salary. But it's probably wrong to think they're actually after any free agents. The ones available are too expensive and/or flawed to be considered, and then there's the vaunted 2008 Plan. Not that they'll be going after a max free agent, but the value of cap room can be absorbing salary outright. They could wind up using the 2008 Cleveland pick to trade outright for a Josh Childress or somebody.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 09:58 AM
If you want a list :
Josh Childress
Gerald Wallace
Mickael Pietrus
Matt Barnes
Luke Walton
James Posey
Boris Diaw
James Jones
Jumaine Jones
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Damien Wilkins
Andrei Kirilenko
Matt Harpring
Ryan Gomes
Andres Nocioni
Viktor Khryapa
Devean George
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette
Hakim Warrick
Ruben Patterson
Ersan Ilyasova
Bostjan Nachbar
Renaldo Balkman
Travis Outlaw
Joey Graham

Some of them are pipe dream, some of them sucks, some of them aren't what Spurs needs but you should be able to find some names you like in this list.

Looks like a lot of gobbledygook to me. Who is available? Who is cheap? Who is a starter? Who is a good defender?

Bruno
06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Looks like a lot of gobbledygook to me. Who is available? Who is cheap? Who is a starter? Who is a good defender?

Mr. Body is free to pick who he likes, thinks is available, cheap and good defender. It's up to the great Mr. Body to decide who are his favourites.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Mr. Body is free to pick who he likes, thinks is available, cheap and good defender. It's up to the great Mr. Body to decide who are his favourites.

I don't see anyone on that list. I've mentioned Travis Outlaw before, but he's not available.

So you're welcome not to sell this as a free agent spree.

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Who is available? Who is cheap?Who is a starter? Who is a good defender?

from this list: only Ron Artest. damn.

ArgSpursFan
06-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Boris Diaw?is he a restricted F.A?

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Diaw makes quite a lot of money for his production and is, I think, under contract for some years.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't see anyone on that list. I've mentioned Travis Outlaw before, but he's not available.

So you're welcome not to sell this as a free agent spree.

If the great Mr. Body don't find a player he likes, Spurs are doomed.

The great Mr. Body should too read what he says. He hasn't asked a free agent list.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 10:07 AM
What are you talking about? I've seen the friggen free agency lists. I know who's available. I know people here love Gerald Wallace, etc., or Matt Barnes, or so-and-so, but none of them fit. I have no idea what you're talking about, getting sassy wagging your finger like you're telling me off like some ghetto queen. If you love the great Beno Udrih salary dump trade of 2007, sign off and shut up.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
What are you talking about? I've seen the friggen free agency lists. I know who's available.

:rolleyes

I know people here love Gerald Wallace, etc., or Matt Barnes, or so-and-so, but none of them fit. I have no idea what you're talking about, getting sassy wagging your finger like you're telling me off like some ghetto queen. If you love the great Beno Udrih salary dump trade of 2007, sign off and shut up.

:depressed

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM
If it's a future first and a trade exception, I can see where the Spurs go out and grab a rookie, first year, second year, or third year player with the trade exception once training camp starts and teams figure out their lineups/rotation.

From that list....Joey Graham, Travis Outlaw, Bostjan Nachbar, Viktor Khryapa, and maybe Josh Childress would probably be available for some combination of the trade exception and future picks...

Not a bad idea to grab a guy that has potential and is still developing, but that is still under the rookie contract. They might even have a bigger role if Fin decides to opt out and go elsewhere....

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I understand the gamble - rolling the dice on a free agent coming. It's like a miniature Jason Kidd scenario, but do you really think there's a plan for any certain free agent? It's as likely just a cost-saving move. Since Udrih is dead weight, then fine, and if we do get a future first out of it, it's better than the waste of the 2009 2nd rounder we used to shave some of Eric Williams' salary. But it's probably wrong to think they're actually after any free agents. The ones available are too expensive and/or flawed to be considered, and then there's the vaunted 2008 Plan. Not that they'll be going after a max free agent, but the value of cap room can be absorbing salary outright. They could wind up using the 2008 Cleveland pick to trade outright for a Josh Childress or somebody.

The Spurs are pretty good at improving the team in free agency when it's not star talent they're after.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 10:19 AM

He probably has an option this summer.

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 10:23 AM
If it's a future first and a trade exception, I can see where the Spurs go out and grab a rookie, first year, second year, or third year player with the trade exception once training camp starts and teams figure out their lineups/rotation.

From that list....Joey Graham, Travis Outlaw, Bostjan Nachbar, Viktor Khryapa, and maybe Josh Childress would probably be available for some combination of the trade exception and future picks...

Not a bad idea to grab a guy that has potential and is still developing, but that is still under the rookie contract. They might even have a bigger role if Fin decides to opt out and go elsewhere....

if Childress is put on the market, the Hawks will get much better offers than what Spurs can offer. (as much as I would like to see him at the Spurs). I'm still a fan of the Khryapa option. it was a lot of bad luck for him, that he found himself behind Deng, Nocioni and Thomas in the rotation. I still think he is a decent player, who needs just the right system to flourish.

btw. Spurs do have a trade exception themself (maybe even 2, but I'm not sure.) from the Williams-Ely trade. it might be high enough to get Khryapa.

ORION
06-26-2007, 10:29 AM
MoSpur check your PMs

Streakyshooter08
06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, I think Posey pretty much fits the bill what the Spurs are looking for. He is 6'8, a good defender, decent rebounder, can hit the 3 and might not be too expensive. Of course a young 3 would be better but he might be the guy. If White can make the team and Finley back you would be pretty much set. Only missing thing is a PG...

Parker/???/ 28th pick?
Gino/ Finley/ White
Bowen/Posey
TD/ Horry
Oberto/ Elson/ Butler

Looks good to me. Trade Barry/ Beno + X vor a backup PG...

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
if Childress is put on the market, the Hawks will get much better offers than what Spurs can offer. (as much as I would like to see him at the Spurs). I'm still a fan of the Khryapa option. it was a lot of bad luck for him, that he found himself behind Deng, Nocioni and Thomas in the rotation. I still think he is a decent player, who needs just the right system to flourish.

btw. Spurs do have a trade exception themself (maybe even 2, but I'm not sure.) from the Williams-Ely trade. it might be high enough to get Khryapa.

I know about Childress, which is why I said "maybe". I think it would take a combination of the trade exception as well as a future first rounder...and still I doubt it gets done. But, I still think the idea remains a possibility.

And to Mr. Body,

I don't think the Spurs will go into the off-season specifically targeting someone, but I could see a scenario where a young player gets forced out of a rotation because of new incoming players or a change in direction from the franchise....and the Spurs could use the assets gained from a trade (trade exception, future 1st rd pick) to scoop that player up.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 10:37 AM

No but it's not a FA list but a list of FA and players who could be available via trade.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't think the Spurs will go into the off-season specifically targeting someone, but I could see a scenario where a young player gets forced out of a rotation because of new incoming players or a change in direction from the franchise....and the Spurs could use the assets gained from a trade (trade exception, future 1st rd pick) to scoop that player up.

That's what I'm saying, too. I agree they'll probably take only one player in the draft (discounting the 58). My draft projections had this unstated assumption - that I didn't put enough stock in - that Jackie Butler would be gone. It'd be surprising for them to have four players on the roster with 1 or 2 years of experience.

They'll have a general plan, as always, and go down the list as options are ticked off -- like last year, when they went after Alonzo Mourning and Joel Przybilla before settling on Butler and Elson.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, I think Posey pretty much fits the bill what the Spurs are looking for. He is 6'8, a good defender, decent rebounder, can hit the 3 and might not be too expensive. Of course a young 3 would be better but he might be the guy. If White can make the team and Finley back you would be pretty much set. Only missing thing is a PG...

Parker/???/ 28th pick?
Gino/ Finley/ White
Bowen/Posey
TD/ Horry
Oberto/ Elson/ Butler

Looks good to me. Trade Barry/ Beno + X vor a backup PG...

Considering the Spurs are looking to deal Beno, I think it's safe to say that pick #33 will definitely be a backup PG...so there's no need for a Barry trade.

Posey does make some sense, but I would think he only comes to the Spurs in the event that Finley opts out and is snatched up by some team.

As of now the Spurs have a fairly set roster, lineup, and rotation at the swing position...so it wouldn't do much good to spend what would likely amount to at least half of the MLE for a player that would ride the pine.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
So I'm confused as to why some folks don't understand why the Spurs would be reluctant to have to take a player with a guaranteed contract and are looking to unload Beno to ensure they don't have to. How does anybody know whether it's a good plan or not if this is only the first step? Is there anyone that disagrees with the idea of getting Beno the hell off this roster?

Streakyshooter08
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Considering the Spurs are looking to deal Beno, I think it's safe to say that pick #33 will definitely be a backup PG...so there's no need for a Barry trade.

Posey does make some sense, but I would think he only comes to the Spurs in the event that Finley opts out and is snatched up by some team.

As of now the Spurs have a fairly set roster, lineup, and rotation at the swing position...so it wouldn't do much good to spend what would likely amount to at least half of the MLE for a player that would ride the pine.

I agree with you. I just wasn't sure the draft pick would fill that role right away. I hope they get a good enough player to make the rotation. Most opinions about the PGs like Koponen were not that good. I'd still hope they get a deal done with Atlanta or Charlotte. THAT would be huge. (I know its unlikely) But I read somewhere that they (Charlotte) think about swapping Jones for the 13th? pick or somthing. I wonder if the Spurs have any assets they would like.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
What deal do you mean with Atlanta or Charlotte?

mountainballer
06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
It'd be surprising for them to have four players on the roster with 1 or 2 years of experience.

but at the start of last season, they had 5 such players. (Butler, Beno, White, Bonner, Oberto)

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 11:08 AM
but at the start of last season, they had 5 such players. (Butler, Beno, White, Bonner, Oberto)

Bonner had been in the league and I'd say Oberto wasn't quite the same as a rookie.

Streakyshooter08
06-26-2007, 11:09 AM
What deal do you mean with Atlanta or Charlotte?

Just A deal for ther 11th or 8th pick. I read that Charlotte and Phoenix were in talks about Jones/ 1st rounder for the 8th pick and I wonderd if the Spurs would be able to pull of a trade with either team. It was more a hope... nothing in particular.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Beno shouldn't be hard to move. He's better than a few of the starting point guards in the league, and could be very good if he finds the right situation and plays to his potential. I'm sure many GMs know that.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Beno shouldn't be hard to move. He's better than a few of the starting point guards in the league, and could be very good if he finds the right situation and plays to his potential. I'm sure many GMs know that.

But most teams are unable to offer the Spurs what they want most (total salary absorption) in lieu of offering player(s) in return whose contracts the Spurs wouldn't mind.

Cleveland can thanks to their trade exception.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
But most teams are unable to offer the Spurs what they want most (total salary absorption) in lieu of offering player(s) in return whose contracts the Spurs wouldn't mind.

So the trade exception is the only way the Spurs don't have to cover part of Beno's salary? IOW, they can't trade a person for a pick without a body coming back or without having to cover some of the salary?

(if you don't want to have to explain everything to me, just shoot me a link to the rules)

ploto
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
...they can't trade a person for a pick without a body coming back or without having to cover some of the salary?

If the other team has cap space- they can. Like Detroit traded Delfino to Toronto for picks because Toronto had cap space for his contract.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 01:41 PM

Again, does anyone know how big this trade exception would be?

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Again, does anyone know how big this trade exception would be?It would be equal to Beno's salary.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Which should help in matching any offers Oberto might get.

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
It would be equal to Beno's salary.

That's what I figured....

Which could help the Spurs turn Beno into an athletic, long 3/small ball 4 option with a couple years in the league....

Hello Joey Graham/Travis Outlaw...

AFBlue
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM

I think they would be two seperate decisions.

Matching an offer for Oberto will probably not be about immediate $$$, but about $$$ in the second, third, and possibly fourth (if a team decides to go that far) years....

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 02:10 PM

If he was involved in a sign and trade the Spurs could then use that to take back more salary. But otherwise they won't be able to use it on their own free agent.

Bruno
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Teams with a trade exception big enough to take Beno salary are :
Cleveland
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Golden State
Indiana
Memphis
Milwaukee
New Jersey
Philadelphie
Phoenix
Portland
Seattle

Teams under the cap can too get Beno without sending back salaries :
Atlanta
Charlotte
Toronto (maybe, I'm not sure thay are far enough below the cap to take Beno's salary)

15 or 16 teams can do a Beno for trade exception trade.

ancestron
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I say we keep him.

lotr1trekkie
06-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Beno actually has a lot of upside for the right team---like Cleveland especially if they don't expect lockdown defense. Distribute the ball and shoot the 3's is his Euro game. We should take an exemption for him because he will be glued to the bench again next season anyway. Nice kid and good luck to him nest season.

Mr. Body
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Beno actually has a lot of upside for the right team---like Cleveland especially if they don't expect lockdown defense. Distribute the ball and shoot the 3's is his Euro game. We should take an exemption for him because he will be glued to the bench again next season anyway. Nice kid and good luck to him nest season.

This is why it doesn't seem necessary to waste a draft pick to get rid of his salary.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
If he was involved in a sign and trade the Spurs could then use that to take back more salary. But otherwise they won't be able to use it on their own free agent.
I thought they could use the trade exception to sign free agents. Doesn't that include their own?

I hate this shit. I'm so bad at it.

Cry Havoc
06-26-2007, 07:49 PM
can anyone explain this trade exception stuff to me?

Is there a link that gives more detailed information about the rules governing trades against the salary cap?

Thanks.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
can anyone explain this trade exception stuff to me?

Is there a link that gives more detailed information about the rules governing trades against the salary cap?

Thanks.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#67

bigfish22
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
How about Drew Carey for Beno?

Obstructed_View
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
All of this is irrelevant anyway; Danny Ferry wants Beno sexually, not as a point guard for the Cavs.

CubanMustGo
06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
All of this is irrelevant anyway; Danny Ferry wants Beno sexually, not as a point guard for the Cavs.

As long as they take his salary off our hands I don't care to what use they put him.

Kibic
06-27-2007, 12:48 AM
This is personal. Pop is no gambler. No way he will let Beno even try to play well for other team. He is to scared that his mistakes become visible to all.

K-State Spur
06-27-2007, 12:53 AM
This is personal. Pop is no gambler. No way he will let Beno even try to play well for other team. He is to scared that his mistakes become visible to all.

based on?

rasho has been given a chance to shine in toronto (he hasn't).
malik was given a chance to shine in NY (he didn't).
barry was going to be sent to the hornets.

come up with an example where Pop let a guy WITH VALUE rot on his bench instead of using/moving him.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 12:53 AM
What's he going to do, kill him? Pay him for another year to sit on the bench? No way. Beno's already a visible mistake, and the time to get something, anything, for him is now.

Bruno
06-27-2007, 08:13 AM
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18521503&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

Rumor mill

- The Cavs could trade a future first-round pick to San Antonio for the Spurs' first-round pick (No. 28 overall). The Spurs have a history of trading out of the first round if they don't like what's there. The Cavs have also shown some interest in third-string point guard Beno Udrih, who makes about $1.8 million. The Cavs possess a $2.1 million trade exception from the Luke Jackson deal with Boston .

ArgSpursFan
06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
based on?

rasho has been given a chance to shine in toronto (he hasn't).
malik was given a chance to shine in NY (he didn't).
barry was going to be sent to the hornets.

come up with an example where Pop let a guy WITH VALUE rot on his bench instead of using/moving him.

I would say Scola is the perfect example for that.I don´t think the spurs will trade his rights if He doesnt play for the spurs.Can you imagine us,Spurs fans,watching Scola play for other team and beating the hell out of the spurs,after He waited for 5 yrs and never got a chance to play in S.A?
I say if Scola don´t work a deal with the spurs,He wont play in the NBA at all.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I thought Scola signed the contracts that made him too expensive to buy out. Now he's talking publicly about signing a big contract overseas, which pretty much puts his trade value in the toilet. How is his situation a good example of something Pop is doing wrong?

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought Scola signed the contracts that made him too expensive to buy out. Now he's talking publicly about signing a big contract overseas, which pretty much puts his trade value in the toilet. How is his situation a good example of something Pop is doing wrong?

Easy math: if Scola signs a large extension, the Spurs get nothing for him. Lose an asset.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Easy math: if Scola signs a large extension, the Spurs get nothing for him. Lose an asset.
But it's not like they let him rot, and the Spurs aren't the ones signing him to large contracts which kill his chances of coming over here. In previous years, they'd have had to pay through the nose, more than he was worth, just to get him on the team. That doesn't even include his salary. It's not like that kind of asset is vaulable to anyone. Now that they might want to think about trading him, he's making himself look unavailable yet again. These problems are all his making, not the team's. I'm sure that the Spurs wouldn't have drafted him if they'd known this was going to happen. If a FO ever develops that kind of prescience, they'll win 20 championships in a row.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
The point is, for the Spurs, if he manages to spend the rest of his career in Europe, their asset is worthless, whether as a player or a trading chit. Culpability aside.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
The point is, for the Spurs, if he manages to spend the rest of his career in Europe, their asset is worthless, whether as a player or a trading chit. Culpability aside.
Oh I agree with that. I was responding to the post that said it was an example of Pop willfully letting an asset rot on the bench without doing anything with it. Scola has repeatedly undermined any reasonable efforts to bring him to the NBA. That's all I'm saying. I hate that the Spurs have gotten nothing for the pick, but I hate more that he didn't get a chance to come play for the Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I jumped in the thread late, sorry. But agreement here.

K-State Spur
06-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I would say Scola is the perfect example for that.I don´t think the spurs will trade his rights if He doesnt play for the spurs.Can you imagine us,Spurs fans,watching Scola play for other team and beating the hell out of the spurs,after He waited for 5 yrs and never got a chance to play in S.A?
I say if Scola don´t work a deal with the spurs,He wont play in the NBA at all.

And where exactly is Scola's value? We couldn't package him for a first round pick last year and the best we can hope for right now is a second round pick.

In fact, you can make a pretty strong argument that Pop values Scola more than the rest of the league does based on what we want as a return. It's just that we don't value him enough to spend almost the entire MLE on him.

thousandth
06-27-2007, 05:03 PM
What's he going to do, kill him? Pay him for another year to sit on the bench? No way. Beno's already a visible mistake, and the time to get something, anything, for him is now.

ahahaha. The Spurs=The Sopranos