PDA

View Full Version : The Elusive 3/4

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Pop's stated more than once publicly in the last year (I thought I saw him quoted again in an article posted here yesterday) or so the desire for the Spurs to land a 3/4, a "Derrick McKey-type". Someone who can play and defend both forward positions. Such a player is exceedingly rare in today's NBA and the players who fit that description are close to max players or otherwise untouchable.

Any idea as to who Pop is actually referring to? It seems more of wishful thinking on his part than reality.

Bruno
06-17-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mDe5NA_Sjg

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't mind grabbing Walter Hermann either.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Hmmm...I've seen hints dropped about him.

- Well, now Nocioni is a free agent.

- But he is really expensive, isn’t he? Anyway, we can’t talk about these things until July 1st.

link (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=918200)

michaelwcho
06-17-2007, 12:05 PM
are they that rare? Just off the top of my head from the playoffs, Prince, AK-47, Marion, LeBron, Jamison, Nocioni, Odom... Maybe not rare, but expensive, yes!

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 12:07 PM
are they that rare? Just off the top of my head from the playoffs, Prince, AK-47, Marion, LeBron, Jamison, Nocioni, Odom... Maybe not rare, but expensive, yes!

Compare that list with the list of 2s and 4s in the NBA. Rare and expensive.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 12:10 PM

He'd probably cost a fair amount to pull away from the Bobcats.

ATX Spur
06-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Gah! I watched that video like 30 minutes ago and I still can't get that stupid Nocioni song out of my head. :lol

Nathan Explosion
06-17-2007, 02:27 PM
He may not be as expensive as you think. Nocioni will cost some, but with a 4th trophy in the case now, and Gino and Oberto doing the recruiting, I bet that Nocioni would lower his asking price a bit if the Spurs came calling.

ATX Spur
06-17-2007, 02:33 PM
It's not Nocioni's to lower, the Bulls can match whatever amount they want to.

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 02:34 PM
It's not Nocioni's to lower, the Bulls can match whatever amount they want to.

Exactly, hes restricted.

medstudent
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM

looks like a right handed Ginobili with some muscle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYVKxLsJes

medstudent
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4207

damn i like this guy. he can put up some numbers, but doesnt look like he likes to pass

AND he has a corner three ball

SCdac
06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
http://graphics.boston.com:80/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/03/10/1141994443_1094.jpg

I've been wanting to see Ryan Gomes become a Spur. Becomes a FA in '09 I believe, but with Gerald Green and Al Jefferson being more of the Celtics future, he could become expendable. He's a hard worker, and can play both SF and PF. Seems like Spurs material to me, in that he's a late second round pick who's become very good role player. Can't say I followed him at all at Providence College, but I like what I've seen from him in Boston.

As per wikipedia:
"Gomes hustles relentlessly, and Celtics television color commentary man Tommy Heinsohn described Gomes as the best offensive rebounder on the Celtics' roster. Despite his relatively small size, Gomes positions himself well on the court to rebound, and uses his hands well for easy put-back buckets and lay-ups."

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 03:15 PM
http://graphics.boston.com:80/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/03/10/1141994443_1094.jpg

I've been wanting to see Ryan Gomes become a Spur. Becomes a FA in '09 I believe, but with Gerald Green and Al Jefferson being more of the Celtics future, he could become expendable. He's a hard worker, and can play both SF and PF. Seems like Spurs material to me, in that he's a late second round pick who's become very good role player. Can't say I followed him at all at Providence College, but I like what I've seen from him in Boston.

As per wikipedia:
"Gomes hustles relentlessly, and Celtics television color commentary man Tommy Heinsohn described Gomes as the best offensive rebounder on the Celtics' roster. Despite his relatively small size, Gomes positions himself well on the court to rebound, and uses his hands well for easy put-back buckets and lay-ups."

The nice thing about the Celtics is that they're loaded with youth and might have son interest in a few savvy vets to help guide their youngsters. It might take a third team to make it happen, but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Ainge doesn't seem to be looking for vet role players -- he's looking for the big score. No reason to trade the youth otherwise.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Ainge doesn't seem to be looking for vet role players -- he's looking for the big score. No reason to trade the youth otherwise.

For some weird reason, Ainge is trying to get Robert Swift from the Sonics :lmao

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 03:25 PM
He still has wood for that dude?

Sheesh.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I like Gomes, but he's not especially long.

FirebatMIV
06-17-2007, 03:28 PM
What about Dominic McGuire out of Fresno state?

E20
06-17-2007, 03:35 PM
That's a catchy song.

Leetonidas
06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
He may not be as expensive as you think. Nocioni will cost some, but with a 4th trophy in the case now, and Gino and Oberto doing the recruiting, I bet that Nocioni would lower his asking price a bit if the Spurs came calling.
The problem will not be whether he is expensive or not, but whether or not Chicago will match. He is a restricted FA and Chicago would like to get something back for him if they're letting him walk (sign and trade).

SCdac
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I like Gomes, but he's not especially long.

Yeah, I agree. Not long in the Marion or Odom sense, he's only 6-7. I could see him having a tough time on some PF's. More so, he plays bigger than he is. Hustle player. Doesn't seem to lack strength though... I want to see the Spurs go after Nocioni, or Gerald Wallace, or somebody of that caliber too, but Gomes seems like a realistic aquisition (not that I'm any expert). And I think he's a Spurs 'kind of player'. He's got starting experience too, if that's worth anything. Started many of the Celtics games...

I do remember something about the Celts and wanting veterans, but I thought it was Pierce himself voicing his concerns, not necessarily Ainge. I could be wrong. Pierce wants to be surrounded by some more experienced players I'm sure.

Mr. Body
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Spurs don't need Gomes if they can get Dudley in the draft. They seem similar in a lot of ways.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
What about Dominic McGuire out of Fresno state?I like McGuire and Wilson Chandler as well. They look like they have pretty good upside but it might be awhile before they pan out -- but I'd take either at #33.

There's only a couple of guys who might fit the bill from the D-League. Sean Banks grew tremendously as a basketball player in LA and Brandon Bowman was a nice versatile defender in Bakersfield and put up good shooting percentages while not being a focus of the Jam's offense. Steven Smith ended the season overseas; he was playing very well and exposing Jawad Williams' one-dimensional nature by comparison in Anaheim.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Spurs don't need Gomes if they can get Dudley in the draft. They seem similar in a lot of ways.Yeah, Dudley is a quality player. I could be wrong, but I don't see his getting much better than he already is. The underclassmen mentioned earlier are much more raw but seem to have more upside.

I can easily see the Spurs drafting that Finnish kid in the first instead of Dudley.

FirebatMIV
06-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I like McGuire and Wilson Chandler as well. They look like they have pretty good upside but it might be awhile before they pan out -- but I'd take either at #33.

There's only a couple of guys who might fit the bill from the D-League. Sean Banks grew tremendously as a basketball player in LA and Brandon Bowman was a nice versatile defender in Bakersfield and put up good shooting percentages while not being a focus of the Jam's offense. Steven Smith ended the season overseas; he was playing very well and exposing Jawad Williams' one-dimensional nature by comparison in Anaheim.

The knock on McGuire is his jumpshot and turnovers, right? If that's the reason, then he'd be a good fit since we won't need him to be a primary ball-handler and we have a pretty good shooting coach.

MrChug
06-17-2007, 04:39 PM
The nice thing about the Celtics is that they're loaded with youth and might have son interest in a few savvy vets to help guide their youngsters. It might take a third team to make it happen, but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic.

I truly, truly agree. If it's true that Shawn Marion might end up with the Celtics then Ainge would only have alot to gain.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Gomes isn't really what I'd consider as a Dirk stopper anyway. He'd be great on our team, but doesn't fit that role of a Bowen replacement.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
White is the Bowen replacement for now. We need a Hedo/Ferry replacement.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
what about Garcia from the kings

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
White is the Bowen replacement for now. We need a Hedo/Ferry replacement.

How about Hedo himself? Defensively he was fine in SA, which is what the 3/4 search is really about.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Hedo was A PUSSY, he was worse than barry when it came to losing confidence

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 05:00 PM
How about Hedo himself? Defensively he was fine in SA, which is what the 3/4 search is really about.Even whottt was fine with that idea.

MrChug
06-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Hedo was A PUSSY, he was worse than barry when it came to losing confidence

I agree. His emotional weakness (needing Pop to put him in the starting lineup to help his confidence) was something that made me sick. It hurt us so bad in the long run...:vomit:

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 05:08 PM
As long as he can D up on big 3s/perimeter oriented 4s, leave the shooting to someone else.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Do you guys all consider Nocioni a 3/4? I mean, I know that he sometimes can play the 4 but he's 6'7. When I talk about getting a 3/4 guy - I picture that guy as 6'9/6'10 with a long wing span and lots of athleticism.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Also, isn't Orlando attempting to free up some space in '08? If so, Barry's contract would come in handy.

Ronaldo McDonald
Is getting iguadala a stretch? How much is he worth-minimum?

K-State Spur
My thoughts:

a) I think we can forget about signing Nocioni outright. Any deal that our front office would sign off on would surely be favorable to the point that the Bulls would match. A sign and trade would be a different story - but would the bulls have any interest in a Barry/Beno/Scola/2008 draft pick combination.

b) We need to retire the term 'Dirk Stopper'. That player really doesn't exist. What would be nice to find is just a guy who won't get completely embarrassed by Dirk to the point that we can comfortably shift Bowen to Howard full-time next year. Let Dirk get his 35, shut everybody else down.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Do you guys all consider Nocioni a 3/4? I mean, I know that he sometimes can play the 4 but he's 6'7. When I talk about getting a 3/4 guy - I picture that guy as 6'9/6'10 with a long wing span and lots of athleticism.That's what I picture too for the most part, but Nocioni has his PPG, his three-ball and his Argie mojo working in his favor.

And he's actually a free agent, so hope springs eternal. Should I even bother mentioning Jumaine Jones?

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 05:14 PM
The Spurs need someone with size who can guard the perimeter in today's NBA. There are way too many big 3s and quick 4s who can take their man outside and score on them.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 05:17 PM
My thoughts:

a) I think we can forget about signing Nocioni outright. Any deal that our front office would sign off on would surely be favorable to the point that the Bulls would match. A sign and trade would be a different story - but would the bulls have any interest in a Barry/Beno/Scola/2008 draft pick combination.

b) We need to retire the term 'Dirk Stopper'. That player really doesn't exist. What would be nice to find is just a guy who won't get completely embarrassed by Dirk to the point that we can comfortably shift Bowen to Howard full-time next year. Let Dirk get his 35, shut everybody else down.I agree with both points, especially b -- that's why I thought the Spurs gave up on long SF projects like Sharrod Ford and Jamar Smith too soon. With the depth we already had at the 3 and 4, we were looking for someone to play more of a Danny Ferry role than a Hedo Turkoglu role. We don't necessarily need an all-star or even a starter in a long three -- we just need a long three that can play in the NBA.

spurs1990
06-17-2007, 06:44 PM
3/4 as in 3 out of 4 championships...thats the goal for 2008

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2007, 07:49 PM
My thoughts:

b) We need to retire the term 'Dirk Stopper'. That player really doesn't exist. What would be nice to find is just a guy who won't get completely embarrassed by Dirk to the point that we can comfortably shift Bowen to Howard full-time next year. Let Dirk get his 35, shut everybody else down.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this. Stephen Jackson made Dirk curl up into the fetal position this year in the playoffs.

Dirk went for 27 a game against during the regular season this year, over 30 a game last year in the playoffs, and Buckets led the way in choking Dirk down to 19 PPG in the playoffs this year.

Plus, it also frees up Bowen to go and shut down Howard.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Dealing Jack for Barry is not a wise move when you're selling season tix for the 2007-08 Warriors.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 07:50 PM
So, if Jack isn't available....?

fuckespn
06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
The knock on McGuire is his jumpshot and turnovers, right? If that's the reason, then he'd be a good fit since we won't need him to be a primary ball-handler and we have a pretty good shooting coach.
I thought I read he was a decent ball handler who could develop into a point foward?