PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 NBA Draft

spurscenter
06-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Is there a post about this already, if so im sorry.

if not, i would like to start one talking about all upcoming draft picks

Some questions, back in 1999 we traded highower to lakers for 2 2nd round draft picks, we got those already?

Cory Hightower (G) United States San Antonio Spurs (traded to L.A. Lakers for two future second-round picks)

When Do we get Phoenix 2nd round draft pick for Barbosa?

here is how the draft goes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Draft

tempest186
06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
The Spurs got a first for barbosa that they sent to the Knicks with Malik in exchange for Nazr.

As for the 2 2nd rounders from the Lakers I know that the spurs drafted Manu in one of the years that they had a Lakers 2nd rounder. I can't remember if it was officially the lakers pick or their own that they got Manu with though.

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
There is a post called "Spurs Future Draft Picks" that has like 1900 replies already. I'll bump that thread up...but talk about people in there. Most everything has already been dissected anyways.

Link: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52385&page=1&pp=26

spurscenter
06-18-2007, 01:15 AM
mods can you delete this and sticky the one he is talking about?

since the draft is next.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-18-2007, 03:49 AM
mods can you delete this and sticky the one he is talking about?

since the draft is next.

Please god dont force me to read 2k posts everytime I want to figure out whats going on in the draft.

spurscenter
06-18-2007, 03:57 AM
so lets keep this one!

whottt
06-18-2007, 04:42 AM
so lets keep this one!

They'll make something, if there isn't something floating around already...and it could end up being this one.

But as of right now, this one isn't exactly jock full of draft info...put something in it to make it worth stickying....let's see your mock draft.

Kori Ellis
06-18-2007, 04:50 AM
The draft thread is at the top of the forum.

MajorMike
06-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Some questions, back in 1999 we traded highower to lakers for 2 2nd round draft picks, we got those already?

Cory Hightower (G) United States San Antonio Spurs (traded to L.A. Lakers for two future second-round picks)

When Do we get Phoenix 2nd round draft pick for Barbosa?

1999 we drafted Leon Smith #29 and Manu #57.
** Side note: can anyone tell me there has ever been a greater steal in the draft?
Spurs then immediately traded Leon Smith to the Dallas Mavericks for rights to Gordon Giricek and a future second-round pick. Smith has played in 15 NBA games.
Spurs traded Giricek in 2002 to the Memphis Grizzlies for a 2004 second-round draft pick and cash. Giricek comes off bench for Jazz.

2000 #24 pick to Bulls and Chuck Person for Steve Kerr. Bulls drafted Dalibor Bagaric. He played in less than 100 games from 2000-2003.
#41 pick was for Mav's Leon Smith pick, and we took Chris Carrawell; never played in NBA.
#54 we took Corey Hightower. He was traded for 2 future 2nd round picks to the Lakers. Hightower never played.

2001 #28 we took Tony.
#55 pick from Lakers we took Robertas Javtokas, who has yet to play for the Spurs.
#57 pick we took Bryan Bracey, who released in 2002.

2002 took John Salmons #26. He was then immediately traded along with Mark Bryant and Randy Holcomb to the Philadelphia 76ers for Speedy Claxton.
#55 we drafted Luis Scola. Drama.
#56 (2nd Laker pick) we drafted Randy Holcomb (see above). He has played in 4 NBA games.

2003 took Leandro Barbosa #28 and then traded to the Phoenix Suns for a future first-round pick.
Our #58 pick was well travelled. We traded Derek Anderson and Steve Kerr and our 2003 2nd rounder to Portland in 2001. In 2002, we traded Antonio Daniels, Charles Smith and Amal McCaskill to the Portland to get Kerr and our pick back, along with Erick Barkley. We then traded this pick to Detroit for Mengke Bateer. Detroit picked Andreas Glyniadakis, who has played in 13 NBA games, all with Seattle this year.

2004 we took Beno #28.
#52 from Memphis (Giricek) we took Romain Sato. Never played in NBA.
#57 we took Sergei Karaulov. We still own his rights, I believe.

2005 took Ian Mahinmi #28.
#30 pick from Suns (Barbosa) was traded to Knicks along with Malik Rose and cash for Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer.
#59 pick was traded to Atlanta for the rights to Viktor Sanikidze, who's rights we still hold. Hawks drafted Cenk Akyol, who has yet to play in NBA.

2006 our #29 pick went to Knicks (kicker for Rose/Nazr trade) and they took Mardy Collins.
#59 pick was Damir Markota, who was immeditaely traded to the Bucks for their best 2007 2nd rounder.

2007 we have our #28 pick, Bucks' #33 pick, and our #58 pick.

At this point, all past debts have been collected and paid. No one else owes us and we owe no one else. Due to our past history, I expect this to change soon, but as of now that is what we have.

You can argue the "this led to this" and whatnot, but on paper the Spurs have done an amazing job with all the low round picks since Ring #1.

I would argue that:
- the 2002 trade of our 1st rounder for Speedy indirectly led to the 2003 Title. Some may forget, but Tony played very poorly and Speedy was most often in the game when it was on the line, running the point.
- the flip flopping of the #58 2003 pick not only gave us Kerr back, who was just about solely responsible for winning the 2003 WCF, but also let us clear off enough cap space by dumping the contracts of Anderson, Daniels, Smith and McCaskill that we could sign Tony and Manu to big extensions following the 2003 Title, which has led to 2 more Rings.
- the Rose/Nazr trade allowed us to win the 2005 Ring. Nazr played the best ball of his life in those playoffsand was able to log crucial minutes down low. We don't win in 2005 with Malik. Not to mention it got Malik's ridiculous contract off the books.
- The Barbosa/Scola trade obviously looks like a loss, but I don't know how well he would have fit on this team. Would he have thrived when ruled by Pop's iron fist? Maybe so, maybe not. Most probably the Malik/Nazr trade, and therefore the 2005 Ring, does not happen without this draft pick. And there is also the issue of what may become of Scola and his rights in the future. Therefore I still call this a close win.

In addition we still hold the rights to Robertas Javtokas, Luis Scola, Viktor Sanikidze, Sergei Karaulov and Ian Mahinmi.

Mr. Body
06-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Great list...

We also got a future Raptors pick (2009?) in the Rasho Nesterovic trade, but that was traded out to Charlotte in the Eric Williams for Melvin Ely trade, so in 2009 we only have our own (second round) pick.

MajorMike
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Yah, just didn't include it because it came and went, and really didn't do anything for us except help us clear up about 7,280,000/7,840,000/8,400,000 (Rasho's 3 years remaining) and the balance of 4,296,000 that Williams was still owed. Tho it was a great cap move, IMO.

When it comes down to brass tax, we traded Rasho and his 23,520,000 over 3 years for Bonner (2 mil) and Ely (~ half of 3,308,615) while we gave Charlotte Williams (~ half of 4,296,000) and the Raptor's 2nd round pick in 2009. Good times.

Even funnier was that the Suns really wanted Ely to play against us. We just got him 1st.