PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili confirms decision to miss FIBA championship

medstudent
06-17-2007, 03:35 PM
June 17, 2007
By Matias Greco Special to PA SportsTicker

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (Ticker) -- Manu Ginobili has ruled out a change of plan over his decision to sit out this summer's FIBA Americas Championship.

The Argentinian star - who helped the San Antonio Spurs to their fourth title in nine years with a sweep of Cleveland last week - announced in April that he had accepted Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's advice to rest after a grueling NBA season.

After that season finished with another championship ring on Thursday, Argentina fans had hoped he would change his mind, but the 29-year-old has vowed to stand by his decision.

There is no chance of reviewing this decision, Ginobili told Argentina's Clarin newspaper.

"Everything has been discussed, and I don't think I am mentally prepared to go to Las Vegas. I have everything planned to have a few months rest."

The FIBA Americas Championship, which hands two direct berths to the next year's Olympic Games in Beijing, will take place from August 22 to September 2. Argentina won Olympic gold in 2004 but must qualify for next year's event with only hosts China and world champions Spain already assured of spots.

Ginobili's Spurs teammate Fabricio Oberto and Charlotte Bobcats forward Walter Herrmann have also withdrawn from the Argentina squad, while Chicago Bulls forward Andres Nocioni will miss out through injury.

Popovich was the driving force behind Oberto and Ginobili choosing to withdraw.

"With the Spurs, I have played 100 games per season and I don't think I can go on playing this many times," Ginobili added. "I don't think it is wrong that (the Spurs) want to take care of me and prolong my career.

"They have not forced me not to play the Americas Championship. They cannot forbid nor fine me, but I have a very good relationship with them and I respect their opinions. They respect me too and I want to retire here."

Even though he will be missing this summer, Ginobili promised he will be available to play at the Olympics next year if Argentina quality.

"I have already told (the Spurs) that I want to play at the Olympics," Ginobili said. "'Pop' is aware of it and does not have a problem with it."

Darkwaters
06-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I couldn't imagine Ginobili retiring anywhere else. Gino for life!

WalterBenitez
06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Manu, Oberto, Walter could say everything ... but I don't see ARG capturing any spots at Las Vegas... USA, CAN, P Rico, BRA are stronger than ARG in this tournament