PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Exec VP Dennis Lindsey Accepts Spurs Job

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4897390.html

Rockets exec Lindsey takes San Antonio job

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Rockets vice president for basketball operations Dennis Lindsey accepted an offer to replace Sam Presti as the Spurs assistant general manager.

Though Lindsey's title has not been determined, he is expected to serve in a capacity similar to Presti's and his own with the Rockets.

"It took a very special and unique situation for me to move from Houston," Lindsey said. "There's not too many people in the league as attractive to work with as R.C. (Buford, the Spurs general manager) and Pop, (Gregg Popovich, the Spurs coach). I think it will be good for my professional development. I want to learn from them."

Lindsey, 38, has been with the Rockets for 11 years. Though he was thought to be groomed to succeed Carroll Dawson as general manager, he said there was no residual disappointment from Rockets owner Leslie Alexander's decision to hire Daryl Morey and that decision played no role his move to the Spurs.

"That's not the reason I'm leaving," Lindsey said. "I was just fresh out of college (at Baylor), coached two years in high school, two years in junior college. Leslie and Carroll and Rudy (Tomjanovich) threw me a basketball lifeline to better myself in basketball. Was I disappointed not getting the job? Yeah. In another sense, Leslie gave me a great opportunity work to with a great organization in a city I love and I'm from.

"I'm widening my network, learning a different system and a different way to do things. I worked for one great organization. Now I'm going to another great organization and hopefully, if I'm competing for future jobs in basketball, it will set me apart from other candidates."

ChumpDumper
06-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Was he on a barge?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Doubt it.

timvp
06-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome aboard.

We expect more championships.

Thanks.

:smokin

Nbadan
06-17-2007, 07:54 PM
...I remember reading that somewhere?

:wakeup

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Welcome to San Antonio. No stat geeks here.

Sweetey
06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Kewl - welcome aboard the Dynasty Train !!!!!!

Gummi
06-17-2007, 07:59 PM
That happened fast. Welcome to the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2007, 08:00 PM
...I remember reading that somewhere?

:wakeup
The other thread was confirming the attempt to sign Lindsey. This thread confirms the signing itself of Lindsey.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Lindsey's been heavily involved in scouting this draft and considering that the Rockets' 1st round pick is only 2 ahead of the Spurs he undoubtedly has taken a close look at the players likely to be available at #28 and #33, he should be able to step right in. Good to see the Spurs take care of this quickly.

CubanMustGo
06-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Sam who?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Lindsey's been heavily involved in scouting this draft and considering that the Rockets' 1st round pick is only 2 ahead of the Spurs he undoubtedly has taken a close look at the players likely to be available at #28 and #33, he should be able to step right in. Good to see the Spurs take care of this quickly.
:tu

Tippecanoe
06-17-2007, 08:10 PM
awesome

welcome to the spurs dennis lindsey :toast

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Man, if the Spurs choose wisely at #28 and #33 they could really lay the foundation for this team to continue to seriously contend past '09.

timvp
06-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Man, if the Spurs choose wisely at #28 and #33 they could really lay the foundation for this team to continue to seriously contend past '09.

If they can pull a backup point and a long small forward, the Spurs may be set.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 08:22 PM
If they can pull a backup point and a long small forward, the Spurs may be set.

No doubt. They also have their 5 int'l prospects (well, at least 6 after they use #58 this year) plus White and Butler to tap into.

Mark in Austin
06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm curious to find out about the talent he identified and brought in while in Houston.

T Park
06-17-2007, 08:47 PM
any idea if this guy is worth a shit?

Samr
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm curious to find out about the talent he identified and brought in while in Houston.

Yao Ming.

Dude is an absolute PRODIGY when it comes to scouting international talent.

(The talk about how the Rockets and Spurs are both defensive-minded teams could make for an interesting take as well.)

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
He didn't have many 1st rounders to work with over the past 5 years, but the 2 other than Yao he had input on are still in the league (Luther Head, Bostjan Nachbar). Supposedly Mobley is to his credit as well. He also had the jones for Stoudemire back in the Yao draft but the Rockets' owner was still in love with Eddie Griffin, so they didn't even try to make a move to get a 2nd 1st rounder above the Suns.

tsb2000
06-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Yao Ming.

(The talk about how the Rockets and Spurs are both defensive-minded teams could make for an interesting take as well.)

To me, that's a strike against him. He took Yao over Amare Stoudemire. Just IMO. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Yao Ming.

You didn't have to be a prodigy to take Yao #1 that year. Just have a pulse and a brain.

whottt
06-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Someone else mentioned that this guy was responsible for some of Houston's trades and is a wheeler dealer...the Spurs need someone like that. It'd be nice to have someone that has a knack for prying talent away from other teams...it'd be really nice to have someone like that, this summer.

The Spurs basically have 8 players(including the 3 picks this year) that have never even put on a Uni. There's got to be a way to fill a need with all that....especially at the SF position, a fairly deep position in the NBA currently.

ambchang
06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Houston does not have a good trade record, and if Lindsey had any say in the Howard for Mike James trade .....

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Houston does not have a good trade record, and if Lindsey had any say in the Howard for Mike James trade .....

What's wrong with a trade that addresses a team need (PG) with a guy who is past his prime (Howard)?

ploto
06-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I just can not believe the Spurs were talking to this guy DURING the Finals and, oh no, what about all that scouting info he will take from Houston. He should have been classy and waited until AFTER the draft to join the Spurs. :rolleyes

picnroll
06-17-2007, 11:27 PM
ploto
I miss Rasho, so will you!
Who's rasho?

DOMINATOR
06-17-2007, 11:38 PM
none. (yao doesn't count)

mikeanthony21
06-17-2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4897390.html

Rockets exec Lindsey takes San Antonio job

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Rockets vice president for basketball operations Dennis Lindsey accepted an offer to replace Sam Presti as the Spurs assistant general manager.

Though Lindsey's title has not been determined, he is expected to serve in a capacity similar to Presti's and his own with the Rockets.

"It took a very special and unique situation for me to move from Houston," Lindsey said. "There's not too many people in the league as attractive to work with as R.C. (Buford, the Spurs general manager) and Pop, (Gregg Popovich, the Spurs coach). I think it will be good for my professional development. I want to learn from them."

Lindsey, 38, has been with the Rockets for 11 years. Though he was thought to be groomed to succeed Carroll Dawson as general manager, he said there was no residual disappointment from Rockets owner Leslie Alexander's decision to hire Daryl Morey and that decision played no role his move to the Spurs.

"That's not the reason I'm leaving," Lindsey said. "I was just fresh out of college (at Baylor), coached two years in high school, two years in junior college. Leslie and Carroll and Rudy (Tomjanovich) threw me a basketball lifeline to better myself in basketball. Was I disappointed not getting the job? Yeah. In another sense, Leslie gave me a great opportunity work to with a great organization in a city I love and I'm from.

"I'm widening my network, learning a different system and a different way to do things. I worked for one great organization. Now I'm going to another great organization and hopefully, if I'm competing for future jobs in basketball, it will set me apart from other candidates."

Damn, that was quick. :dizzy

SequSpur
06-18-2007, 12:57 AM
cool... they got the backup ballboy supervisor.

Nbadan
06-18-2007, 01:07 AM

:lol

what exactly does the GM do? Sign the checks?

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Now they should hire van Gundy to fill the soon-to-be-vacant asst. coach seat (once Carlissimo bolts for Seattle)...http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Seriously, sounds like a decent hire---the guy's got front office experience, knows the league/intl. players.

Bruno
06-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I just can not believe the Spurs were talking to this guy DURING the Finals and, oh no, what about all that scouting info he will take from Houston. He should have been classy and waited until AFTER the draft to join the Spurs. :rolleyes

:wtf

1) Spurs have talked to Lindsey after the final.
2) Houston wasn't playing the final.
3) Houston pick is before Spurs picks. Lindsey scouting won't hurt Rockets.

Your hate for Spurs organisation has turned you into a clueless troll.
I remember the time you were a solid poster here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2007, 08:01 AM

What are you complaining about? He's white. Shouldn't you be happy?

ploto
06-18-2007, 08:49 AM
:wtf

1) Spurs have talked to Lindsey after the final.
2) Houston wasn't playing the final.
3) Houston pick is before Spurs picks. Lindsey scouting won't hurt Rockets.

Your hate for Spurs organisation has turned you into a clueless troll.
I remember the time you were a solid poster here.
My comment had nothing to do with the Spurs and everything to do with hypocrites on here who don't hold consistent standards.

Solid D
06-18-2007, 10:35 AM

I'd be interested in hearing Mr. Lindsey quotes on what he believes he can do to help the Spurs succeed...and not just how he can benefit from the Spurs.

coopdogg3
06-18-2007, 10:42 AM
My comment had nothing to do with the Spurs and everything to do with hypocrites on here who don't hold consistent standards.

Maybe you should reread Bruno's post. Then you'd realize that Spurs fans are/were not being hypocrites in any way, shape, or form.

medstudent
06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
in ploto's defense, if the Spurs traded Manu I would hold a grudge

BUT its Rasho, a no talent scrub who's not even getting playing time in Canada.

Let it go

Solid D
06-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Tidbit on Dennis Lindsey...he was one of the "coaches" at the Basketball Without Borders - Africa event with R.C. Buford in September 2005. Buford was one of the camp directors.

http://www.nba.com/bwb/africa_2005.html

ducks
06-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Nice Find!

ducks
06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
in ploto's defense, if the Spurs traded Manu I would hold a grudge

BUT its Rasho, a no talent scrub who's not even getting playing time in Canada.

Let it go
depends on who they get for manu
if they got a guy like williams I would be ticked

Solid D
06-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Houston Chronicle - Blog report on Dennis Lindsey's particpation in pre-draft workouts and talent evaluation.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/06/a_scouts_life_the_rockets_hold.html

June 04, 2007
A scout's life: The Rockets hold their own mini predraft camp
By the end of the day Tuesday, Dennis Lindsey's hamstrings will be barking. Dean Cooper's knees will be aching. The Rockets -- or at least Lindsey, the vice president of basketball operations and Cooper, the directorf of scouting -- will wonder if this was such a great idea, after all.

It really was. The Rockets might not know when or if it will pay off, but that's the way it is in scouting. You just work. You work and you hope and you never know.

So with the NBA prohibiting workouts until after last week's Orlando predraft camp, and the Rockets having little leverage to get players to work out for them, the Rockets came up with the idea of setting up workouts in Orlando right after the camp, beginning this morning. They got another team involved to have a team with a higher draft pick to attract better prospects, and then lined up dozens of players who have agreed to go through their paces.

The league made sure every team knew it could come and watch, and as many as 12 will send representatives (presumably picking up a share of the tab for the privilege.)

But Cooper and Lindsey will be on the court with the prospects, and because the NBA does not allow more than two on two work, so to simulate typical NBA plays and decision making, teams typically have to get a coach on the court.

Workouts simulate the four basics of NBA offense; pick-and-roll, pin downs, post-ups and isolation. That needs at least a third teammate and opponent. On pick-and-roll, scouts like to see decision making with a cutter and a screener. Even in iso, teams want a player to show he can make decisions which requires he read a help defender, which would not be there without a third teammate and opponent.

Enter Cooper and Lindsey.

"We'll be hurting," Lindsey said. "Are you kidding me? We'll be on the court for eight to 10 hours."

He's not complaining. Without Rocket camp, there is no way they could work with so many prospects, many of which could be around when the Rockets choose at No. 26.

Among others, the Rockets will work out point guards Oregon's Aaron Brooks, Fullerton's Bobby Brown, Florida's Taurean Green, Marquette's Dominic James, Finland's Petteri Koponen; shooting guards and small forwards UCLA's Arron Afflalo, Ohio State's Daequan Cook, Lithuania's Renaldas Seibutis, Arizona's Marcus Williams, Rice's Morris Almond, Boston College's Jared Dudley, Australia's Brad Newley and North Carolina's Reyshawn Terry; and power forwards and centers Nick Fazekas of Nevada Aaron Gray of Pittsburgh, and A&M's Antanas Kavaliauskas and Joseph Jones.
There will be other players, especially bigs, working out in Orlando. The Rockets will have other workouts leading up to the draft.

But they will get a fast start this week in Orlando. And then, Cooper and Lindsey will be moving very slowly

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
He better have a good memory of how all those players did.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Tidbit on Dennis Lindsey...he was one of the "coaches" at the Basketball Without Borders - Africa event with R.C. Buford in September 2005. Buford was one of the camp directors.

http://www.nba.com/bwb/africa_2005.html
Tampering!

timvp
06-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Maybe you should reread Bruno's post. Then you'd realize that Spurs fans are/were not being hypocrites in any way, shape, or form.

ploto will find something to drama queen about. Don't worry.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, this is the guy who is going to trade Beno and Barry, so....

Money316
06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Now they should hire van Gundy to fill the soon-to-be-vacant asst. coach seat (once Carlissimo bolts for Seattle)...http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Seriously, sounds like a decent hire---the guy's got front office experience, knows the league/intl. players.
http://sports.tom.com/images/upload/200503021311011Jeff-Van-Gundy.jpg

Hell no....

Then again he's ugly enough to compete for a position on the Spurs.

:fro

Money316
06-18-2007, 04:13 PM
What are you complaining about? He's white. Shouldn't you be happy?
Somehow I don't find the humor in this considering the makeup of the Spurs.

:fro :fro :fro

ambchang
06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
What's wrong with a trade that addresses a team need (PG) with a guy who is past his prime (Howard)?
It's possibly a personal bias, but I have never liked James' game. He is not a PG, is a ballhog extraoridinarie, has a very low basketball IQ (especially for someone playing a PG role), and has no concept of his own and his team's strength and weakness.
Howard is pass his prime, but provides relief for Yao in the front court. As much as Spurs fan hate him because of the Anderson incident, Howard is a decent by overpaid player who gets (or got) his work done.

ambchang
06-19-2007, 08:08 AM

They should hire Flip Saunders for assistant coach if he is available, and I am not kidding.
JVG is too good a coach to be an assistant, and his strength is his defense, which is already covered by Pop. Flip, as much as everybody hates him because of his incompetence as a head coach in both Minnesota and Detroit, is an amazing offensive coach. With the number of offensive talents the Spurs have, he would be in offensive coaching heaven.

Man Mountain
06-21-2007, 04:27 AM
Did this guy have anything to do with the Thorpe for Drexler trade? That was an awesome trade that took giant nuts to do.

Admiral Ackbar
07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
It's a trap!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM