PDA

View Full Version : Pitiful...

exstatic
06-17-2007, 11:18 PM
There were maybe 40,000 in the Alamo Dome tonight. In '05, there were probably almost 60,000. At one point, Brent asked them to turn up the house lights so they could thank the crowd and they refused. I'm sure the players would have been horrified to see barely over half capacity.

CharlieMac
06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Im lazy. That's my excuse.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Two words ...

Fathers Day.

timvp
06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Ticketmaster.

RussN
06-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I went to the river parade and then went home because I thought it would be full already, since it opened at 5pm. Guess I was wrong.

AnkleBreaker21
06-17-2007, 11:31 PM
o shit calm down, i though it was still great, it sucks that on this day there is still downers

Horry For 3!
06-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Two words ...

Fathers Day.
I was about to type that but you did already.

I wanted to go to the river parade and alamodome rally but I didn't want to go by myself. My friends were all hanging with their dads.

Nathan Explosion
06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I went to the river parade and then went home because I thought it would be full already, since it opened at 5pm. Guess I was wrong.

First off, you're going to need to change that avatar. I myself am going to have to take more photos of the trophy case because mine are outdated now. Damn Spurs are their title winning ways. :spin

Second, why is everyone trying to be negative on this glorious day. It was my first Father's Day and my 25th birthday is in 3 days. I had my son, I had my girl and I had my team celebrating another title. What could be better than that?

No time to be negative. Just enjoy the moment.

SequSpur
06-18-2007, 01:07 AM
I was at the sold out Kenny Chesney show.... :)

Avitus1
06-18-2007, 01:15 AM
I'd been there if I didn't live 2 1/2 hours away, I was just lucky to go to the parade.

Dave McNulla
06-18-2007, 01:17 AM
i'm in oceanside, ca. but i watched it outside on my laptop while i was barbequeing dinner for the fam. i felt so space-aged for a moment.

T Park
06-18-2007, 01:18 AM
why go when you can chill at home and watch it on tv?

spurscenter
06-18-2007, 01:25 AM
i wish i made it to that.

i think it was fatehrs day, they should of done it on saturday?

WHO CARES

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Budkin
06-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Two words ...

Fathers Day.

I was there with my whole family but I still don't get why they didn't have it Saturday afternoon. It would have been a lot more family friendly.

suitedkings
06-18-2007, 01:32 AM
i am 3000 miles away! i was there in 2005 so that leave 19,999 un accounted for.

Leetonidas
06-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Honestly, it wasn't really worth it. The whole celebration at the Dome wasn't very good this year.

bdictjames
06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Honestly, it wasn't really worth it. The whole celebration at the Dome wasn't very good this year.
Take that back!!!

I really wish I'm in San Antonio

Nbadan
06-18-2007, 01:36 AM
..They obviously need to move the whole celebration thingy to Golden state...

Leetonidas
06-18-2007, 01:38 AM
I really love the Spurs and all, but it wasn't like 2005. It was Bruce yammering forever and him introducing people...and that was basically it.

Despot
06-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Hey, everyone complains about the bandwagon fans anyway, we should be glad they didn't go.

toosmallshoes
06-18-2007, 01:59 AM
yea, I wasn't too hip on Bruce's presentation, but I still tried to go. Unfortunately I couldn't get off of work because of .........Father's Day.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Should've given away free T-shirts.

Tek_XX
06-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Wait all that time so Bowen can drone on while the Spurs just sit there

Nbadan
06-18-2007, 03:35 AM
...they move the $5 seats to the front-row and the Spurs don't want to turn the lights on....anyone surprised?

maxpower
06-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I was there with my whole family but I still don't get why they didn't have it Saturday afternoon. It would have been a lot more family friendly.

You can blame the Silver Stars. Spurs organization did not want to exclude the 18 fans that had tickets for the stars game.

ploto
06-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Gee- and I got slammed for saying they shouldn't have scheduled it on Father' Day. Seems like the crowd was much less on the river, too.

spurschick
06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I thought the celebration was great. After all, we were celebrating a championship.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Have NBA Championship celebrations jumped the shark for Spurs fans?

ploto
06-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I honestly do not know one person who went.

ObiwanGinobili
06-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I was watching at home - the whole thing from 5:30 - after 10 :spin
me, emo, the 2 kids, and my in-laws. So thats 6 people missingfrom the Dome bvut still celebrating in thier own half-drunk-WTG-Spurs way :)
Originally we were planning ot go to the parade, but my in-laws got loast coming here from N.B. then we watned to go to the Dome but with emo having to be at work at 5am and 2 kids under age 3 who NEED to be in bed at a reasonable time ot spare me a monday full of whiny crying and fit throwing....... well they shoulda done it Saturday. :lol

but seriously, I <3 the spurs, I watched on TV and I bought enough t-shirts this year to wall paper the livingroom. I've done my part.

SpurYank
06-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Couldn't make it. 1524 miles is a bit much. Stayed up to see it though, and I'm an hour ahead.

Clutch20
06-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I went to the dome celebration. It was just a l-i-t-t-l-e less subdued than the 05 in general. I'm certain that 05' was a hairier ride because of
game 5 vs Detroit being such a nailbiter, and the length of the finals going 7 games, so a lot more emotion was generated at the 05 celeb.

There was less anxiety with this year's final, Father's Day, stuff that makes you think hmmmm, do I want to go and try to find seating at the dome, then fight traffic afterwards?

For me, helya!

I screamed, woofed, threw gritos, chanted players names while Bruce was describing the next player to be introduced, drank alcohol, and generally was as rowdy as I could be!

BlackFlagg
06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I screamed, woofed, threw gritos, chanted players names while Bruce was describing the next player to be introduced, drank alcohol, and generally was as rowdy as I could be!

LOL! It was a lot of fun. The kids really enjoyed it -- they were grinning from ear to ear. It was a great celebration in honor of The Mighty Spurs and I was so glad to be there.

Clutch20
06-18-2007, 01:41 PM
LOL! It was a lot of fun. The kids really enjoyed it -- they were grinning from ear to ear. It was a great celebration in honor of The Mighty Spurs and I was so glad to be there.
Yeah BlackFlagg, I went with my younger son (he's 22, dam where did the years go) and reminisced about how he and his older brother grew up with all those other previous championships and celebrations, the Spurs have a new crew of young people coming up to take our places when we're in our wheel chairs. Maybe I'll go to the dome celebration 30 years from now and still be raising hell!

MadDog73
06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
200k at the river, and 40k stayed out until past 10:30 pm to hear Bruce tell lame jokes, and it's a bad thing? On a Sunday night, no less?

I'd like to see the TV ratings. I doubt if it sucked, 3 networks would have non-stop coverage from 5:00 - 10:30 pm.

twincam
06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Yup, it was Father's Day that day. I celebrated my Father's Day by staying at home and avoided the hot humid weather during the parade. Plus the ceremony started at 9PM. Way too late for me. People work on Mondays, in case they'd forgotten. If it was set up for Saturaday, that'd been a different story.

Ginofan
06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
It wasn't as great as 2005's but it was still a celebration, I still had a good time. If Brent is still here for the next one I'd like to see him emcee the thing, he's got such a great sense of humor. I was waiting for "TPizzle" to lay down a rap, but he looked pretty bored/pissed off during the whole celebration.

spursgrl20
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Can anyone summarize what they did for the 2005 Alamodome celebration? I didn't see that one so I don't have anything to compare to this years. thanks :spin

SA210
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Ticketmaster.
Nah, but it was Ticketmaster on that 1 nonsellout game in the WFC's though.

boutons_
06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
It's not the Spurs' fault that the EC served up such a fucking lame opponent, such that the series was over after 3 games, anything after Game3 was an anti-climatic formality.

Just like it's not the Spurs' fault the Suns bench went onto floor and got suspended.

I'm personally disappointed that the Finals were not more exciting, somewhat diminishing the pleasure of the Title.

by the way, a comment from a friend, in response to me sending him the KTAR/asterisk URL:

"I spoke with a neighbor of mine this afternoon, and he spent last week in
Phoenix. He told me the negativity surrounding the Spurs' win over the Suns
is both ugly and nearly palpable. He said he has never seen such hate
spewed toward a sports team. Just flat pathetic."

Suns fans suck
Suns suck
Phoenix sucks
AZ sucks.
PHX is gonna get clobbered by global warming and drought (not that SA is super well-supplied with water).

SA210
06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
There were maybe 40,000 in the Alamo Dome tonight. In '05, there were probably almost 60,000. At one point, Brent asked them to turn up the house lights so they could thank the crowd and they refused. I'm sure the players would have been horrified to see barely over half capacity.
pics?

link?

MadDog73
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
OK, exstatic, if the place wasn't full, home come there were people sitting behind the stage?

rr2418
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I have to be honest, after a while I got kind of bored. I know SA was celebrating the Spurs championship but Bowen just went on and on. Even some of the players looked bored! Jackie Butler, Melvin Ely and Robert Horry all looked like they rather be doing something else. Might it be time to change it up a bit for the next time?

By the way, was David Robinson there?

angel_luv
06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll admit to not going- not because of Father's day either.
I don't want to say I wasn't feeling it because I watched and enjoyed all the coverage from home.
I celebrated, just differently this year.

The team seemed to have a great time along with the people who did go down and to me that is what matters more than the numbers.

angel_luv
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I really liked Timmy, Gino, Finley, Fabri ( he spoke right- or am I mixing the parade and alamodome) and Rob's speeches.

I would have liked to have heard from all the guys- Beno especially ( Hush all of you! :lol)

I loved the guys demonstrating their special cheer at the end. That was cute.

I missed the extras from 05 like the guys hamming it up while showing off their trophies and Tony rapping.

Still, it was a very nice night and I am glad I watched it.

angel_luv
06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
It wasn't as great as 2005's but it was still a celebration, I still had a good time. If Brent is still here for the next one I'd like to see him emcee the thing, he's got such a great sense of humor. I was waiting for "TPizzle" to lay down a rap, but he looked pretty bored/pissed off during the whole celebration.

I agree about Brent emceeing. No one, no matter how good humored, has anything on Brent- he is just too funny!

I saw Tony's album at HEB today. I am going to wait for it to hit the dollar store and then will buy a copy. :)

Budkin
06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
You can blame the Silver Stars. Spurs organization did not want to exclude the 18 fans that had tickets for the stars game.

The WNBA needs to fucking die. What a waste of money that shit is...

Budkin
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Can anyone summarize what they did for the 2005 Alamodome celebration? I didn't see that one so I don't have anything to compare to this years. thanks :spin

Nothing could compare to Tony Parker rapping in 2005. That was awesome.

angel_luv
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM

All the players greeted the crowd. Rasho said, " There isn't much to say but 'Whoosh, this feels good."

Manu said, " Wow, gracias ( to the applause he got) and then said he wasn't leaving town until we had won another championship."
( He needs to amend that now to " I won't leave until we repeat.:) )

Robert Horry said that " His three favorite words are now " Go Spurs Go."

Those are the ones I remember. Good times.

But nothing, not even Rasho's speech, compares to Pop's speech in the parade this year, the part when Pop grinned and said, " We kicked ass!"
That was awesome!

thousandth
06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
All the players greeted the crowd. Rasho said, " There isn't much to say but 'Whoosh, this feels good."

Manu said, " Wow, gracias ( to the applause he got) and then said he wasn't leaving town until we had won another championship."
( He needs to amend that now to " I won't leave until we repeat.:) )

Robert Horry said that " His three favorite words are now " Go Spurs Go."

Those are the ones I remember. Good times.

But nothing, not even Rasho's speech, compares to Pop's speech in the parade this year, the part when Pop grinned and said, " We kicked ass!"
That was awesome!

:lmao

exstatic
06-18-2007, 07:49 PM
OK, exstatic, if the place wasn't full, home come there were people sitting behind the stage?
In '05, the entire lower bowl was full, the entire Club level was full, and the only place upstairs with seats was the endzone on the far end. The lower bowl wasn't even full this time, nor was the Club level, and the upper deck was 1/2 full, maybe. It was pretty patchy.

pics?

link?
What are you? TPark's fucking vacation stand in?

FromWayDowntown
06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
I really love the Spurs and all, but it wasn't like 2005. It was Bruce yammering forever and him introducing people...and that was basically it.

Of course, people who didn't go knew it was going to be like that when they made the decision to not attend the event, right?

SA210
06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
In '05, the entire lower bowl was full, the entire Club level was full, and the only place upstairs with seats was the endzone on the far end. The lower bowl wasn't even full this time, nor was the Club level, and the upper deck was 1/2 full, maybe. It was pretty patchy.

What are you? TPark's fucking vacation stand in?
No, just wondering if there were pics to the 2005 Dome celebration.

MannyIsGod
06-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Have the released attendence figures or is exstatic pulling numbers out of his ass?

exstatic
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Have the released attendence figures or is exstatic pulling numbers out of his ass?
I think they quoted 45K. I did see another site that said 40K. That's probably the range.

Sasha
06-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Well, I've read this entire thread and I just have to throw in my 2 cents worth:

No, Bruce Bowen isn't as funny as Brent Barry - but he sure is more heartfelt and sincere. I loved the stories he told about folks that few of us had ever heard of, and how he didn't want to overlook anyone's contribution because the Spurs wouldn't be the Spurs without them. It might have been a little more boring than some of us would have liked, but it sure showed class - and those folks that were recognized are probably still thrilled to death that someone remembered them...

Tim asked Parker to rap and Parker said, "No." So that's that.

Our whole family reveled in the moment, Father's Day or not.