PDA

View Full Version : ELY most likely gone.

spurscenter
06-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Inside Dish: No change is good for Spurs
By Sean Deveney - SportingNews

Sean Deveney
SportingNews.com

Don't expect any major changes for San Antonio over the summer. SG Michael Finley and SF Robert Horry can be free agents, but each would like to stick around for another season. C Fabricio Oberto's situation is a bit trickier. He has a player option for one year at $2.5 million, but he played well enough during the season--averaging 4.4 points and 4.7 rebounds--to warrant a bigger contract. He says he doesn't want to leave the Spurs, but he should explore his options. . . .

One Spur eager to leave is free-agent C Melvin Ely. San Antonio acquired him in February for SF Eric Williams (read: cap space) and a second-round pick, mostly to prevent the Suns from getting him. He appeared in just six games. "It'll be nice to play again sometime," Ely says. . . .

Mr. Body
06-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Why are people sleeping on the Mavs? We need to tweak the roster more to match up better.

whottt
06-18-2007, 04:45 AM
"It'll be nice to play again sometime," Ely says. . . .

Dude...you're like a 7 foot C that was given up on by the Bobcats, don't count on getting much PT, anywhere. And be glad you got to benchride a ring instead of lottery position.

Bruno
06-18-2007, 05:08 AM
I don't see Spurs being interested in bringing back Ely. Spurs have tons of PF/C including Butler who is quite similar to Ely but younger, with more upside and under contract.

J.T.
06-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Dude...you're like a 7 foot C that was given up on by the Bobcats, don't count on getting much PT, anywhere. And be glad you got to benchride a ring instead of lottery position.

QFT.

Soul_Patch
06-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Id really like to see Ely worked on and get some PT on our team. I honestly think with our coaching staff he could shine here.

I was really excited about seeing him and butler.

Oh well...

ploto
06-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Oberto should opt out. His value will never be any higher. It is not so much about $$ per year as it is about getting a deal with more years on it. Let the Spurs reward him.

Darkwaters
06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Ely should sign with the Nets. He'd likely be able to break into their rotation and would likely be a solid fit. I'd be up for S&T him but with a player that will make as little as he does it makes little sense.

AFBlue
06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Oberto should opt out. His value will never be any higher. It is not so much about $$ per year as it is about getting a deal with more years on it. Let the Spurs reward him.

If Oberto was smart he'd opt out in a heartbeat. Solid role player, starting in the playoffs for the Champs...he'd double his money on a short-term deal I'd bet.

Colangelo would be all over that piece in Toronto...I believe the Raps have a little money to spend right? It'd be tough for the Spurs to match a much bigger offer seeing as how they have Scola waiting in the wings...

Sweetey
06-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I hope Ely IS gone. He does not fit in with the Spurs. Plays and looks more like a Leastern Conference Team player -- any one of them.

ShoogarBear
06-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Ely deserves a ring just for taking out Mark Madsen.

Brutalis
06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
He has a player option for one year at $2.5 million, but he played well enough during the season--averaging 4.4 points and 4.7 rebounds--to warrant a bigger contract. He says he doesn't want to leave the Spurs, but he should explore his options. . . .

bad sarcasm

wildbill2u
06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
A #12 draft choice in the first round in 2002. I'd heard the Spurs wanted him for some time before the trade.

I guess a closer look didn't produce the results they wanted or expected.

Soul_Patch
06-18-2007, 01:05 PM
I really thought there just wasnt room for him this year. i expected next year hey may get some time.

MoSpur
06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
If the Spurs want to bring Scola back, Ely has to go. There just isn't room for hime.

AFBlue
06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
If the Spurs want to bring Scola back, Ely has to go. There just isn't room for hime.

Even if Ely goes, the Spurs don't likely have room for Scola.

AFBlue
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I really thought there just wasnt room for him this year. i expected next year hey may get some time.

...for some other team

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Ely deserves a ring just for taking out Mark Madsen.
:lol :tu

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
looks more like a Leastern Conference Team player -- any one of them.

Please expand your thoughts.

This oughta be good.

K-State Spur
06-18-2007, 01:50 PM
A #12 draft choice in the first round in 2002. I'd heard the Spurs wanted him for some time before the trade.

I guess a closer look didn't produce the results they wanted or expected.

OR...we just wanted to move Williams' contract and anything that Ely provided would be gravy.

Money316
06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Straight up!!

MajorMike
06-18-2007, 02:54 PM
OR...we just wanted to move Williams' contract and anything that Ely provided would be gravy.

Ding ding ding. Also didn't hurt that the Suns had major interest in him and as long as he was sitting on our bench he wasn't hurting us in their roster.

SenorSpur
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Fuck Scola. I'd rather see him used as trade bait.

exstatic
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Anyone who opts out, hoping to be "rewarded" with more years in SA has rocks in their heads. That applies to Mssrs. Finley and Oberto. The Spurs won't be extending anyone this summer. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and start sawing away: The Spurs won't acquire any contracts this summer that run past next year, unless it is for a VERY promising young long wing player, a borderline All Star.

SenorSpur
06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Anyone who opts out, hoping to be "rewarded" with more years in SA has rocks in their heads. That applies to Mssrs. Finley and Oberto. The Spurs won't be extending anyone this summer. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and start sawing away: The Spurs won't acquire any contracts this summer that run past next year, unless it is for a VERY promising young long wing player, a borderline All Star.

Gerald Wallace, perhaps?

Maybe Mikael Pietrus even?

whottt
06-18-2007, 07:42 PM
No team can offer Oberto more than the Spurs, right? The most another team can offer him is up to the MLE?

Edit: and the Spurs also have an exemption to sign him with...correct?

AFBlue
06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
No team can offer Oberto more than the Spurs, right? The most another team can offer him is up to the MLE?

If a team has $8M, they could give Oberto the full amount. Of course, Oberto has to opt out of his contract first.

ploto
06-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Ely saved luxury tax- pure and simple.

SenorSpur
06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
I'd rather have Ely than Scola

coachmac87
06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
why is this even a thread...i could have told u that once he never played any important minutes....i wish we kept eric williams...spurs better give him a ring

AFBlue
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Okay, I didn't think you were crazy...until now.

Ely is a third string F/C that never did much of anything at the professional level despite some fairly decent athleticism and ability. He flamed out to the point where he was useless in CHARLOTTE!

If the Spurs trade Scola, he'll likely start or be a key reserve for that team almost immediately. You're talking about a prototypical (6'9 245lb) Power Forward with decent athleticism and a polished low-post game. Not to mention he's played at the professional level for almost 10 years.

If you're lining these guys up next to eachother it's not even close...give me Scola every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

SenorSpur
06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Okay, I didn't think you were crazy...until now.

Ely is a third string F/C that never did much of anything at the professional level despite some fairly decent athleticism and ability. He flamed out to the point where he was useless in CHARLOTTE!

If the Spurs trade Scola, he'll likely start or be a key reserve for that team almost immediately. You're talking about a prototypical (6'9 245lb) Power Forward with decent athleticism and a polished low-post game. Not to mention he's played at the professional level for almost 10 years.

If you're lining these guys up next to eachother it's not even close...give me Scola every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As for Scola, I still don't get all this hype this guy. I saw him play a few times. I admit he's got some skills, but you seemingly left out the fact that he's a below-average defender and an average rebounder at best. I still don't see how his game will translate at the NBA level.

Taking into account we didn't see much of Ely, do we really know what he can do? According to some, he has the best low-post skills of anybody on the team - not named Duncan. Just because he didn't get time here, does that mean he's a bust? His acquisition by the Spurs was as much for fiancial reasons as anything.

I'm not saying Ely is better, I'm just saying for what the Spurs have and need right now, I'd prefer to give Ely another look before we toss him away. Besides, he'd probably come cheaper than Scola.

dg7md
06-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Ely just isn't suited for our system. I bet he would be the main PF reserve on a team like Minnesota.

dbreiden83080
06-19-2007, 12:12 AM
We don't want to lose Fab and after winning the title with us and Manu being here i doubt he is eager to leave, they should work something out with him. Figure out the Scola deal already bring him over or trade him for something decent already.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
:lol @ those who were saying Ely would be a real difference maker in San Antonio and would help with rebounding etc :smokin

In the end it was just a CIA move

Bruno
06-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Edit: and the Spurs also have an exemption to sign him with...correct?

CBA rules for Oberto are :

- Oberto must opt out before june 25th and not june 30th like other players with a player option .
- If Oberto opt out, Spurs have up to june 30th to make him a $3.125M qualifying offer to turn him into a restricted free agent.
- Spurs have the early bird rights on Oberto. They can offer him a MLE contract without using the MLE.
- Oberto is protected by the Gilbert Arenas provision. It's quite complicate but if an other team offer Oberto more than a MLE contract, Spurs will be able to match.

More details on the Gilbert Arenas provision :
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#37

whottt
06-19-2007, 02:46 AM
CBA rules for Oberto are :

- Oberto must opt out before june 25th and not june 30th like other players with a player option .
- If Oberto opt out, Spurs have up to june 30th to make him a $3.125M qualifying offer to turn him into a restricted free agent.
- Spurs have the early bird rights on Oberto. They can offer him a MLE contract without using the MLE.
- Oberto is protected by the Gilbert Arenas provision. It's quite complicate but if an other team offer Oberto more than a MLE contract, Spurs will be able to match.

More details on the Gilbert Arenas provision :
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#37

Thx Bruno...that's what I thought.

I love that addition to the last CBA.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2007, 02:50 AM
ely could land us a top 10 pick....

believe

ArgSpursFan
06-19-2007, 07:49 AM

yeah,letīs keep Ely.he never complains about anything and has great work ethics.Great team oriented guy.(sarcasm)

ArgSpursFan
06-19-2007, 09:55 AM
I told you all,he was gonna start crying about playing time,when he got traded back in feb.
fucking bicth couldīve at least done something when Pop gave him a chance in the reg season.
I still remember the last game of the season vs the Nuggets.The worst spurs game in History.
Get lost Ely.!

Tippecanoe
06-19-2007, 10:47 AM
if oberto opts out, he is a RESTRICTED free agent????

can someone please tell me if thats the case

SilverPlayer
06-19-2007, 11:14 AM

read the thread. information is a couple of posts up.

AFBlue
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM

If I read it right, the answer is "yes, as long as the Spurs extend the qualifying offer of $3.125M"

Bruno...is that right?

thousandth
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
who is ely?

Cīmon. Ely's a decent player and deserves respect. :lol

ShoogarBear
06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeely's going . . .

Bruno
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
If I read it right, the answer is "yes, as long as the Spurs extend the qualifying offer of $3.125M"

Bruno...is that right?

Yes, it's like the same thing every restricted free agent. You had to do a qualifying offer to make them restricted.
Bonner and Oberto (if he opts out) are restricted free agent this summer.
If Oberto doesn't opt out, he will too be a restricted free agent next summer.

MajorMike
06-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Which word did you not understand? The 'Buh' or the 'Bye'?

ChumpDumper
06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Ely is a decent player, but Butler is already here to do his job. If we're going to get another big man, I want a shotblocker. The nice thing about Ely is we have full Bird rights on him that could prove useful in a sign-and-trade.

Bruno
06-19-2007, 01:16 PM
The nice thing about Ely is we have full Bird rights on him that could prove useful in a sign-and-trade.

Spurs don't have Bird rights on Ely.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#85

Without the player's consent when the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, the team loses its Larry Bird/Early Bird rights, and the player is considered a Non-Bird free agent.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot he took the qualifying offer. I think we still have limited S&T rights that would allow us to sign him for a deal starting at his current salary or slightly higher -- up to just under $4 million. It doesn't seem like he would get more on the open market.

tmtcsc
06-19-2007, 04:55 PM

Yeah, maybe him and Speedy Claxton, Steven Jackson, Hedo Turkoglu and Derek Anderson could all get together and make up a real special team.