PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks, Suns best equipped to stop Spurs

superfedja
06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't know if this was already posted or not but I didn't see it. If it's been posted, you can delete this thread.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/061707dnspomoore.35fd708.html

Mavericks, Suns best equipped to stop Spurs

Keeping San Antonio from winning again will be no small task

12:13 AM CDT on Sunday, June 17, 2007

We can continue the high-minded debate over San Antonio's place in history and deconstruct the reasons why this team is admired rather than embraced.

Or we can sit back with our margaritas, toast the Spurs as they float down that muddy-watered thing they call a River Walk and wonder what lies ahead.

I'll take mine on the rocks with light salt.

Over the last few days, people have asked if the Spurs have another title or two or three in them. The answer is yes, yes and yes, as long as Tim Duncan remains upright, Tony Parker continues to improve and Manu Ginobili competes like no one else.

The better question is, "Who can stop them?"

Forget about the Eastern Conference. This is not a provincial smackdown but a fact.

The Spurs have advanced to the Finals four times in the last nine years and won all four. They are 16-6 against the East. The only teams to beat San Antonio during those nine years have been from the Western Conference.

Let's break that down even further. The Los Angeles Lakers and the Mavericks are the only teams that have knocked out the Spurs since the 2001 playoffs. The Lakers did it three times. But these are no longer your Shaquille O'Neal Lakers.

The only team still together that has beaten the Spurs over the last seven years is the Mavericks. Knowing that, do you still advocate that the Mavericks rip apart their nucleus after a first-round loss to Golden State?

The Mavericks and Phoenix Suns pose the biggest threat to San Antonio's dominance. Here's the dilemma both teams face: Do they stand pat this off-season, or do they make a move they hope gets them over the top?

If we may steal a word from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, it sounds counterintuitive to suggest the Mavericks and Suns would be better off not making a move. Since neither team won the title this season, it stands to reason they need another piece or two to mount their challenge.

But again, this Mavericks team gives the Spurs problems. The emergence of Josh Howard forces San Antonio to choose: Do they put Bruce Bowen on Howard or Dirk Nowitzki? Devin Harris has the speed to keep up with Parker. Erick Dampier actually does a decent job defending Duncan. Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse give the Spurs matchup problems on the perimeter.

If the Mavericks compromise that mix to match up with the smaller, more athletic teams like the Warriors and Suns, what does that do to their ability to compete with the Spurs?

Overreact to that loss to Golden State, and the Mavericks could fall by the wayside.

The Suns have lost to San Antonio in the conference finals twice in the last three years. Conventional wisdom states Phoenix won't get by the Spurs until it improves defensively.

I'd argue it's more specific than that. What the Suns need is for Amare Stoudemire to be a better and more willing defender in the post. If he can do that, the Suns don't need to wedge Kurt Thomas into the starting lineup. They can go small and force the Spurs to try to keep up with their speed.

That's why moving Shawn Marion is such a risky proposition. He's a good help defender inside and has the skills to move outside and frustrate Parker one-on-one in the halfcourt. His versatility will give the Spurs problems if Stoudemire can adapt defensively at center.

Is there any other team in the West that could doom the Spurs' chances to repeat? Utah made the conference finals earlier than anyone expected, and Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer are on the rise. But they benefited from a favorable playoff draw. Denver should be better the longer Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson are together, but the Nuggets' defensive deficiencies are glaring in the postseason.

Houston is the wild card. The Spurs don't have anyone who can defend Yao Ming – who does? – and Tracy McGrady gives Bowen fits. But since Yao and McGrady have never led the Rockets out of the first round of the playoffs, it's a bit much to expect them to vanquish the Spurs.

The West is tough. It will be even tougher two or three years down the road, when the Pacific Northwest teams become a force with Greg Oden and Kevin Durant.

But right now, the only teams that have a chance to keep the Spurs from repeating are the Mavericks and Suns.

Check back after free agency is underway, and we'll see if the landscape has changed.

ducks
06-19-2007, 12:00 AM
gs is the best team to stop mavs

dbreiden83080
06-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Dallas is a mess. They can win 70 games next year and nobody will give a shit till the playoffs start. they will have more pressure on them not to choke in next years playoffs then maybe any team in history. We all have seen first hand that Dirk is inconsistant when it comes to pressure to say the very least.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-19-2007, 12:33 AM
2007-08 Nuggets > Mavs & Suns :smokin

A more developed Nene could guard Duncan better than anyone on the Mavs or Suns (assuming KG doesnt go there :lol )

AI and Melo (with his new and improved 3 pt shot) together for training camp and a full season will be a much better scoring combo than either of those teams have

If Kmart can stay healthy (i doubt he will but you never know), then there is some defensive intensity finally thrown into the mix, and they wont need him to score (thank goodness :lol )

It's the bench that is a worry. Hopefully a camby trade will help fix that issue

Johnny RIngo
06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
2007-08 Nuggets > Mavs & Suns :smokin

A more developed Nene could guard Duncan better than anyone on the Mavs or Suns (assuming KG doesnt go there :lol )

AI and Melo (with his new and improved 3 pt shot) together for training camp and a full season will be a much better scoring combo than either of those teams have

If Kmart can stay healthy (i doubt he will but you never know), then there is some defensive intensity finally thrown into the mix, and they wont need him to score (thank goodness :lol )

It's the bench that is a worry. Hopefully a camby trade will help fix that issue

The Nuggets would have given the S0ns lots of problems in the playoffs. Tougher D in the frontcourt w/ Nene and Camby and a very quick backcourt that would smoke the S0ns poor perimeter defense. If the Nugs can find some reliable shooters(guys like Barry/Finley) to load up on the bench I could see them being much more dangerous than the S0ns next year.

Nathan Explosion
06-19-2007, 12:47 AM
The Spurs can still stop an AI-Melo combo. They have the team defense to do it, a concept foreign to those who occupy the Mountain Time Zone.

No to mention Denver still doesn't have an answer for Duncan, Gino, and a very confident defending Finals MVP Parker.

Infamous
06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
I give the Suns NO CHANCE to EVER beat the Spurs in the playoffs. Run and gun will never win against fundamental basketball executed perfectly that picks you apart.

T Park

Trade Camby, and You'll get rid of the only reason the series was as close as it was.

His interior presence didn't let Parker do to the Nuggets, what he did to Cleveland.

Trade Camby, and you've got Cleveland.

Johnny RIngo
The articles retarded. I could understand the Mavs being a threat but the freaking S0ns? They've been our bitch for quite a few years now.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Trade Camby, and You'll get rid of the only reason the series was as close as it was.

His interior presence didn't let Parker do to the Nuggets, what he did to Cleveland.

Trade Camby, and you've got Cleveland.

The FO says Camby isnt going anywhere but i find that hard to believe. He is the only guy that has value on the team, except for the guys who are untouchable (Melo & Nene). I dont think JR would get much in return, especially after what he is going through now.

The Nuggets need bench help. They could choose just to ride it out and see if LK, JR, Najera, Evans and Von wafer can make a difference but i doubt it will happen

thewatcher
06-19-2007, 12:58 AM
the only thing that they need to be equiped with now, is a pair of balls :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2007, 01:06 AM
You guys talking about future Spur Allen Iverson?

Spurs06
06-19-2007, 01:42 AM
The Nuggets would have given the S0ns lots of problems in the playoffs. Tougher D in the frontcourt w/ Nene and Camby and a very quick backcourt that would smoke the S0ns poor perimeter defense. If the Nugs can find some reliable shooters(guys like Barry/Finley) to load up on the bench I could see them being much more dangerous than the S0ns next year.

huh? do you mean the suns?

Capt Bringdown
06-19-2007, 01:46 AM
I think we're lucky we didn't play the Mavs this year. I've never seen us play so scared and stupid (smallball, manu's foul) as we did last year. They give us the biggest matchup problems than any other team in the league, IMO.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2007, 01:49 AM
I think we're lucky we didn't play the Mavs this year. I've never seen us play so scared and stupid (smallball, manu's foul) as we did last year. They give us the biggest matchup problems than any other team in the league, IMO.

The Mavs remain a real threat, no doubt, but I think they faced a tired Spurs team that saw its stars nursing some nagging injuries. A season later a much healthier Spurs team plowed through the playoffs at a 16-4 clip on to their 3rd title in the past 5 years.

Johnny RIngo
06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
huh? do you mean the suns?

Sure. S0ns are overrated.

Of all 16 playoff teams Denver was the 3rd worst from beyond the arc. They desperately needed a perimeter shooter(JR sucked). If they could land some Barry/Finley types they could be dangerous.

Capt Bringdown
06-19-2007, 03:49 AM
The Mavs remain a real threat, no doubt, but I think they faced a tired Spurs team that saw its stars nursing some nagging injuries. A season later a much healthier Spurs team plowed through the playoffs at a 16-4 clip on to their 3rd title in the past 5 years.

Yup, Duncan's health this year made a world of difference. If we played them this year, I reckon it would have been our toughest series.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch the Warriors series...what made them so effective against the Mavs, other than hitting a bunch of crazy shots?

SRJ
06-19-2007, 04:12 AM
I agree about the Mavs.

As long as Steve Nash is the first line of defense against Tony Parker, the Suns will never be able to keep the Spurs from going on big scoring sprees. The Spurs can limit the Suns offense, but the Suns defense cannot do the same to the Spurs offense.

And if the Suns decide to sick Raja Bell on TP? Then it's Manu's turn to waltz right past Nash.

If the Suns and Spurs are like boxers, Nash is the cut under the left eye that will not close.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2007, 05:11 AM
SURELY the article is retarded

there is just to many variables out there next season, expecially for the spurs

1yrs older, aging players.....and team roster restructure....

BigBeezie
06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
The Mavs pose a good threat to the Spurs....but I'm pretty sure they will make some changes this offseason. If they're smart, then they will maintain what they have.

The Suns lack the defense to beat the Spurs. They can't stop Tim, and everyone feeds off of Tim (esp. Manu). I agree with someone else's comment about Amare. If he could guard Tim, then that would cause a lot of problems for us.

SpursWillOwn
06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I agree about the Mavs.

As long as Steve Nash is the first line of defense against Tony Parker, the Suns will never be able to keep the Spurs from going on big scoring sprees. The Spurs can limit the Suns offense, but the Suns defense cannot do the same to the Spurs offense.

And if the Suns decide to sick Raja Bell on TP? Then it's Manu's turn to waltz right past Nash.

If the Suns and Spurs are like boxers, Nash is the cut under the left eye that will not close.

nash guards bowen my friend

41times
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I give the Suns NO CHANCE to EVER beat the Spurs in the playoffs. Run and gun will never win against fundamental basketball executed perfectly that picks you apart.

This is the abosolute truth. The Suns will never beat the Spurs in a playoff series. The only chance the Suns ever have of getting to the finals is for someone else to knock out the Spurs first.

So the biggest threat for the Spurs is the Mavs and then maybe a healthy Nuggets team 2nd.

Apparently the Mavs just need to avoid GunShotWound in the playoffs!?!?

BigVee
06-19-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree the Mavs give the Spurs the most problems, and feel they should not mess with the team. I wonder though, if they can bring the energy needed for yet another season after last year. They were so good and so focussed for an entire season. That had to be draining. Can they get themselves up to do that again?

rob5
06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/rtfunshots/dal.jpg

samikeyp
06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Best equipped? Yes.

Does that guarantee anything? No.

Mavs got their only one so far last year and that is still one more than Phoenix has.

cheguevara
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
"overeact not to loss to GS"

it is impossible to overreact to biggest upset in NBA history

td4mvp3
06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I agree the Mavs give the Spurs the most problems, and feel they should not mess with the team. I wonder though, if they can bring the energy needed for yet another season after last year. They were so good and so focussed for an entire season. That had to be draining. Can they get themselves up to do that again?
i think they're trying to trade terry, though. that's the big buzz in the dfw area.

Findog
06-19-2007, 11:23 AM
it is impossible to overreact to biggest upset in NBA history

Whatever. Throw out the W-L records...Davis and Richardson missed 50 games to injury, and they got a major talent infusion with the Pacers trade. You think they finish 42-40 if that roster is healthy and together all year long?? How long do we have to keep putting the Warriors down as a crappy .500 team? They went 16-5 with their whole team healthy and together.

It was akin to a second-round matchup, not a 1 vs 8. Dallas went pedal to the metal all year long against half a league tanking, their efficiency rankings and point differential project them out to 60 wins, not 67. It's an upset but not a huge one for a 53-win team to beat a 60-win team.

nkdlunch
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Whatever. Throw out the W-L records...Davis and Richardson missed 50 games to injury, and they got a major talent infusion with the Pacers trade. You think they finish 42-40 if that roster is healthy and together all year long?? How long do we have to keep putting the Warriors down as a crappy .500 team? They went 16-5 with their whole team healthy and together.

It was akin to a second-round matchup, not a 1 vs 8. Dallas went pedal to the metal all year long against half a league tanking, their efficiency rankings and point differential project them out to 60 wins, not 67. It's an upset but not a huge one for a 53-win team to beat a 60-win team.

Warriors got their asses kicked by young Utah team.

BIGGEST UPSET IN NBA HISTORY. that is a fact.

Findog
06-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Nugget scare me with their potential, but they play no defense AT ALL, and I really do hope they trade away Camby. Great interior defenders are so valuable in this League, and I can't believe Denver is stupid enough to part with him. Why?

Findog
06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Warriors got their asses kicked by young Utah team.

Against San Antonio, Terry gives you fits with his outside shooting and gives up no size to Parker. Harris can get to the rim against an otherwise great defensive team. Against the Warriors, they give up so much size and strength to Davis and Richarson.

The Warriors play smallball, Utah has something Dallas doesn't (big, muscular guard in Williams to cancel out B-Diddy) and a traditional, back to the basket scorer in Boozer. That's how you beat smallball. Being "young" doesn't mean they're not good. My 87 year old grandfather with Alzheimers has experience, so what is your point about youth? Did you watch the GS-Utah series? I did. There was one blowout in that series, it belonged to GS. The other four games went down to the wire.

BIGGEST UPSET IN NBA HISTORY. that is a fact.

No, it's an opinion based on the W-L records, and not a particularly well-informed opinion when you look at the talent on the two rosters.

I ask you again: do you think GS finishes 42-40 if Davis and Richardson don't miss 50 games and that trade took place in training camp instead of February? Stop acting like they were a typical 8 seed, they weren't.

nkdlunch
06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
go to www.google.com

type biggest upset in nba history and click "I'm feeling lucky"

you get this http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2007050309

:lmao

hater
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
:lol

Findog
06-19-2007, 11:41 AM
go to www.google.com

type biggest upset in nba history and click "I'm feeling lucky"

you get this http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2007050309

:lmao

Can you answer the ?: How do you think GS does if their starting backcourt isn't out 50 games? Or if they make that trade in November? Can you answer that ? or is "UR TEAM SUCKZ AZZ" smacktalk the best you can do?

nkdlunch
06-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Can you answer the ?: How do you think GS does if their starting backcourt isn't out 50 games? Or if they make that trade in November? Can you answer that ? or is "UR TEAM SUCKZ AZZ" smacktalk the best you can do?

I did not say UR TEAM SUCKS ASS. Mavs are good, probably #2 in the league.

They just choked once again and resulted in BIGGEST UPSET IN NBA HISTORY.

If you can't accept that you are one delusional homer

mavsfan1000
06-19-2007, 11:46 AM
The Jazz and Spurs were the only teams that could beat GS. They both had low post prescence which is the key to beating GS. Dallas is fatally flawed in that if they face a super fast team, they can't post them up.

Findog
06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I did not say UR TEAM SUCKS ASS. Mavs are good, probably #2 in the league.

They just choked once again and resulted in BIGGEST UPSET IN NBA HISTORY.

If you can't accept that you are one delusional homer

Biggest upset in NBA History based on disparity in W-L records, you're right. Biggest upset in NBA History based on disparity in talent? Not even close.

samikeyp
06-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Biggest upset in NBA History based on disparity in W-L records, you're right. Biggest upset in NBA History based on disparity in talent? Not even close.

Good points. History, though, only looks at the W-L records. Fair or not, that is what will be remembered from that series.

smeagol
06-19-2007, 01:10 PM
So is losing 4 in a row in the finals, after going 2-0, the biggest upset in NBA history? :lol

Findog
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
So is losing 4 in a row in the finals, after going 2-0, the biggest upset in NBA history? :lol

I don't know, you tell me. Are the Mavs the only team to cough up a 2-0 lead?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240515013

smeagol
06-19-2007, 01:25 PM

In the finals?

I don't know. You tell me.

ShoogarBear
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240515013Damn, fellas. Stop walking into those. Stick with the tried and true.

4 > 0.

Findog
06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
In the finals?

I don't know. You tell me.

Well, Avery always wanted us to be more Spur-like. Guess we went too far.

td4mvp3
06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
The Jazz and Spurs were the only teams that could beat GS. They both had low post prescence which is the key to beating GS. Dallas is fatally flawed in that if they face a super fast team, they can't post them up.
suns beat golden state, pistons too, if i recall. hell, everyone did but the mavs. it's not like they went undefeated after the trade.

mavsfan1000
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
suns beat golden state, pistons too, if i recall. hell, everyone did but the mavs. it's not like they went undefeated after the trade.
I never said they would be undefeated after the trade. They actually beat both the suns and pistons after the trade.

Findog
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM

It was an upset but not the greatest of all time based on talent. GS beat the crap out of the Pistons in Detroit, they beat Phoenix, Utah, Dallas. They went 16-5 down the stretch with everybody healthy. Only point is that the talent level of the two teams made it more like a second-round matchup, not a 1 vs 8 series.

td4mvp3
06-19-2007, 01:34 PM

actually, even the argument that the warriors were not a true 8th seed doesn't help matters. it just means the mavs would have likely lost in a second-round matchup. still shouldn't have happened.

smeagol
06-19-2007, 01:34 PM
It was an upset but not the greatest of all time based on talent. GS beat the crap out of the Pistons in Detroit, they beat Phoenix, Utah, Dallas. They went 16-5 down the stretch with everybody healthy. Only point is that the talent level of the two teams made it more like a second-round matchup, not a 1 vs 8 series.
If you say it enough times, you will start to believe it's true.

td4mvp3
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
which makes one wonder how much of a problem dallas would pose to san antonio. if the talent level of the mavs was on par or only a little more than gs, that's not enough to beat the spurs.

Findog
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
actually, even the argument that the warriors were not a true 8th seed doesn't help matters. it just means the mavs would have likely lost in a second-round matchup. still shouldn't have happened.

Yeah, I agree if they had met in a later round GS would still have won, but that's not my argument, which is that it's a minor upset, not a major one.

Findog
06-19-2007, 01:41 PM
which makes one wonder how much of a problem dallas would pose to san antonio. if the talent level of the mavs was on par or only a little more than gs, that's not enough to beat the spurs.

I don't think Dallas would've beaten the Spurs this year, because we peaked in March and burned ourselves out...and GS is just about the ONE team based on personnel and X's and O's we didn't need to see in the playoffs, aside from San Antonio. But the matchup problems we present are still there. Against the Spurs, Terry gives up nothing in size to Parker and kills you guys with his outside shooting if you double Dirk. Devin has the footspeed to stay with TP and he can get to the rim against you guys. Against the Warriors, Davis and Richardson are both bigger and stronger than them. And whereas Dirk and J-HO forces Pop to make a tough decision, stick Bowen on one of them and get eaten alive by a mismatch, Duncan is a low-post interior scorer that a smallball team like the Warriors just can't handle. Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Findog
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
If you say it enough times, you will start to believe it's true.

It is true, and I've based that analysis on logic and facts. If you can refute it with anything other than "8 SEED! DIRK SUCKS!" I'd like to read it.

MadDog73
06-19-2007, 01:58 PM

In the Finals?

How many teams have lost 4 in a row after going up 2-0 in the Finals?

Findog
06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
In the Finals?

How many teams have lost 4 in a row after going up 2-0 in the Finals?

The 1977 Philadelphia 76ers, for one.

Strike
06-19-2007, 02:13 PM
And the '77 Sixers choked, IMO.

So did the '06 Mavs, IMO.

Findog
06-19-2007, 02:17 PM
And the '77 Sixers choked, IMO.

So did the '06 Mavs, IMO.

So teams never make adjustments and play better. By your logic then, the Spurs choked in 04.

Strike
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
So teams never make adjustments and play better. By your logic then, the Spurs choked in 04.

Yes they did. They had the lakers by the balls and choked it away.

See, unlike most mavs and Suns fans, I can admit when my team chokes or fucks up.

Findog
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Yes they did. They had the lakers by the balls and choked it away.

See, unlike most mavs and Suns fans, I can admit when my team chokes or fucks up.

Hmm, I watched that series. I thought the Lakers did a good job of altering their defense and containing Tony Parker in the final four games. I didn't realize the Spurs decided they didn't want to win the series and didn't have enough heart or courage.

Mitch Cumsteen
06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
It was an upset but not the greatest of all time based on talent. GS beat the crap out of the Pistons in Detroit, they beat Phoenix, Utah, Dallas. They went 16-5 down the stretch with everybody healthy. Only point is that the talent level of the two teams made it more like a second-round matchup, not a 1 vs 8 series.I don't necessarily agree with this. It may not have been a "typical" 1 vs 8 series talentwise, but even with the trade GS wasn't one of the best four teams in the West this year. The Warriors certainly weren't better than the Spurs or Suns. You'd have to rank the Mavs (on paper only, clearly) ahead of them. Utah was definitely better than they were. You could also argue that the Nuggets and the Rockets were better than the Warriors too. So, of all the playoff teams, the W's were clearly better than the Lakers, and that's it. So instead of it being a typical 1/8 matchup, it was more like a 2/7 matchup. If that makes you sleep better at night, then more power to you. Your team still had no business getting run like that against them after piling up the 5th best (or whatever it was) regular season in NBA history.

And one more thing.... you can spin it any way you want and tell yourself that it was a bad matchup or that the W's were more talented than given credit, but there is no way to spin the way Dallas quit in Game 6. They just gave up and quit. It's the worst thing you could ever say about a team, and they did it. Quitters. The whole lot of them.

Findog
06-19-2007, 02:27 PM
And one more thing.... you can spin it any way you want and tell yourself that it was a bad matchup or that the W's were more talented than given credit, but there is no way to spin the way Dallas quit in Game 6. They just gave up and quit. It's the worst thing you could ever say about a team, and they did it. Quitters. The whole lot of them.

Oh, they definitely did that, I'm not denying it. I turned the tv off in disgust at the end of the third quarter. Spurs did it too the year they got swept by the Lakers.

but even with the trade GS wasn't one of the best four teams in the West this year.

The West is a little top-heavy given the imbalance of talent between the two conferences. It's still akin to a typical second-round matchup.

Strike
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Hmm, I watched that series. I thought the Lakers did a good job of altering their defense and containing Tony Parker in the final four games. I didn't realize the Spurs decided they didn't want to win the series and didn't have enough heart or courage.

You just don't want to admit that the Mavs had complete control of the Finals and choked it the fuck away.

Did the Yankees choke in the ALCS against the Red Sox, or did they just fail to make adjustments?

Findog
06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
You just don't want to admit that the Mavs had complete control of the Finals and choked it the fuck away.

Did the Yankees choke in the ALCS against the Red Sox, or did they just fail to make adjustments?

Uh, baseball is a little different given that the pitching matchups have a great impact on who wins and who loses. IIRC, the Sox rolled out Pedro in G5 and Schilling in G6. How much strategy is involved in baseball? They went down because the Sox won G4 where it could've gone either way and then there were three straight good pitching performances. So, no, the Yankees didn't choke either. We're talking about basketball.

And, no, I'm not gonna admit something that isn't true. Did you watch the 06 Finals? Did you notice how we had no perimeter defenders to stop a guy playing at an unreal, MJ-level? What the fuck does that have to do with courage and guts and not wanting to win? Nobody on the Mavs could keep Wade in front of him. Riley made sure Mourning got more PT after G2 since he did a much better job of protecting the rim and ran the floor better than Shaq. Simple as that.

Sec24Row7
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
The other two best teams in the league have the best shot of beating the Spurs?

No Shit?

:lol

ClingingMars
06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
denver/dallas >>>>>> phoenix

defense wins championships. period.

-Mars

Johnny RIngo
06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
denver/dallas >>>>>> phoenix

defense wins championships. period.

Agree. If Denver had some perimeter shooters they would have been VERY tough to put away. We Spurs fans should know first hand how valuable a 3 point threat is to any team(Barry and Horry in '05, Finley and Bowen this year).

History is against the S0ns. There's only three teams in NBA history that won the championship with a worse defense than the S0ns(2 of those early Bulls teams and the '01 Lakers). Phoenix doesn't have any dominant HOFers(MJ, Shaq, Kobe) nor do they have a HOF coach like PJ running the team so I can't say I like their chances. D'Antoni's gimmick basketball doesn't cut in the NBA. He might have gotten away with that shit in Europe but the NBA's a different story. D'Antoni and Steve Trash need to learn how to play defense before they can think of competing for a championship. It's either that or hope the Mavs knock out the Spurs(probably going to be the latter)

tlongII
06-19-2007, 06:25 PM
The Blazers are coming.

LavaLamp
06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
D'Antoni's gimmick basketball doesn't cut in the NBA

What is it exactly in the Phoenix Suns' offense or defense which is a gimmick. I don't understand that term when it is applied to basketball. You either make the shot, the pass, the block or the rebound. Where do the gimmicks come in?

Do you mean to say David Blaine's magnets, springboard floor boards, mirrors and tiny 2-way radios are being used? :)

spursreport
06-19-2007, 07:22 PM
The Mavs match up better with the Spurs than the Suns do. The Suns give the Mavs match up nightmares. Amare would be dunking at will and that entire suns offense can get any shot they want against the Mavs D. All the Spurs need to do when they play dallas is to knock them hard on their asses anytime they drive to the hoop. Get VERY physical with them. Do that and their nuts shrink which causes them to settle for jumpers the rest of the way.