PDA

View Full Version : Playoff games: Alamodome or AT&T Center?

DudleyDawson
06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Do you prefer having 36,000 in the dome, or 19k in a more intimate setting?

I preferred the dome then and now, and also loved the visuals the dome presented on TV, but I also understand the other side of the argument. I don't dislike the AT&T Center, but I do feel the dome made us unique as a fan base(A championship celebration in that building would have been so cool).

How do you guys feel?

timvp
06-18-2007, 11:46 PM
The Spurs couldn't fill up the dome without charging for tickets. The less capacity, the better at this point.

Nathan Explosion
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
The AT&T Center is better as far as sight lines and what not, but there is nothing like hearing 35,000 screaming fans when that place was jammed to the rafters.

IF they could get the Spurs to play there for a Finals clinching game it would be amazing because average fans would get to go to the games for a reasonable price and scream their heads off.

Of course, I know this isn't feasible in so many ways, but it's nice to dream.

Spurs rock
06-19-2007, 12:19 AM
They couldn't even sellout the AT&T Center, what makes you think they'll sellout the Alamodome?

T Park
06-19-2007, 12:21 AM
the dome was horrible.

Sitting behind the spurs bench and having to almost turn sideways to friggen watch action at the other end of the court was horrid.

Good riddance.

I love the arena.

Nathan Explosion
06-19-2007, 12:32 AM
They couldn't even sellout the AT&T Center, what makes you think they'll sellout the Alamodome?

Cheaper tickets because more supply means lower cost.

Upper level seats that are normally going for $10 were costing 3-4 times as much. Working class families, of which is the majority of the Spurs fan base, can't afford that to see playoff games, and then pay the price for concessions which can easily run $10 for one person in one trip, of which, many trips will be made. On concessions alone, you can close in on a $100 for 4 people, plus the over $100 spent just to get into the game.

You think a working class family can afford that? As with me, I love the Spurs. My favorite team in all of sports. I have a DVR just for the games. I watched all the Spurs games with my newborn son, who is now 7 1/2 months old. A die hard Spurs fan through and through who's been following the team for as long as I can remember (about 20 years now seeing as how I'm going to be 25 on Wed).

But when it came to playoff tickets, that money could be better spent on food for myself and my GF as well as diapers, food, and other things for my son. And of course, bills (rent, car, utilities, gas, etc...). Sorry, but playoff tickets were low on the totem pole when it came to my finances. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

A dome game would cost much less, and allow working class families to cheer their team on to victory at a much more reasonable cost.

I like the AT&T Center much better, don't get me wrong. But don't knock the fans because they were priced out of tickets to games this year.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
The at&t is hands down the better basketball facility. I think the Spurs should revisit their playoff ticket pricing strategy though.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Alamodome seating sucked ass, hell no.

Nathan Explosion
06-19-2007, 12:40 AM
The at&t is hands down the better basketball facility. I think the Spurs should revisit their playoff ticket pricing strategy though.

Exactly my point. I'm not knocking the AT&T Center. Even the worst seats in the house are still pretty good seats. I should know because I've had them. I've also had amazing seats in the bowl, so close to the bench you can hear them talking. All around a venue light years ahead of the Dome.

I just liked the pricing strategy the Dome afforded the team so to speak. Pricing average fans out of tickets was wrong, and bit them in the ass during the Utah series when they couldn't sell out the game on a national stage. That was never a problem in the Dome, and in 99, they actually reconfigured the dome (cutting it in half along the length instead of the width like they did in regular games) allowing for even more fans to show up.

The dome was huge and cavernous, but when you had nearly 40,000 screaming fans (as they did in 99 after the reconfiguration) it made it loud as hell. And it did sell out time and again throughout those playoffs if I'm not mistaken.

Just miss the days of affordable tickets, which sounds funny coming from a 25 year old.

SA210
06-19-2007, 12:40 AM
The Dome