Marcus Bryant
06-19-2007, 01:22 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_mickael_pietrus.jpg

Mickaël Piétrus | SF/SG
Born: Feb 7, 1982
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 215 lbs. / 97,5 kg.
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mickael_pietrus/index.html)

He's been public about his desire to play for the Spurs, though the skeptical voice that visits me after 3 martinis and summers with large amounts of cap room says it's simply a ploy to raise his price. In any event, he's an intriguing free agent for the Spurs, an athletic swingman with the tools to be a solid defender and he has a nice catch and shoot game from the perimeter. Still, he's a bit raw, though he's improved during his NBA career. For something like 3 years, $15 mil he'd be nice. For the 5 years, $25 or so mil he will receive, he will be too pricey. I think the Warriors overreact to the first somewhat successful season they've had in a decade Adonal Foyle-style.

sprrs
06-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Pietrus would be great here. Like you said though, he'd likely get bigger offers than what the Spurs can give him elsewhere. Doubtful he'd take a pay cut to play here either.

thekingrobert
06-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Bowen could teach him loads and Chip can actually have him shooting 3's like Barry

zekes
06-19-2007, 01:42 AM
after having tasted the playoffs this year, added to his familiarity and friendship with parker, i dont think it would be much of a stretch for him to take less money to play for a perennial contender

genghisrex
06-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Pietrus has nice athleticism and some decent skills, but I watched the Warriors a lot this year and the guy makes a lot of really boneheaded plays. I'm not saying scratch him off the list, because he's still a solid wing, but he can definitely be a frustrating player and I'm not sure he has the basketball IQ or desire to tighten up his game. Matt Barnes doesn't have the same physical talent but he challenged Pietrus for minutes all year long because he played with a lot more passion.

SenorSpur
06-19-2007, 02:02 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_mickael_pietrus.jpg

Mickaël Piétrus | SF/SG
Born: Feb 7, 1982
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 215 lbs. / 97,5 kg.
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mickael_pietrus/index.html)

He's been public about his desire to play for the Spurs, though the skeptical voice that visits me after 3 martinis and summers with large amounts of cap room says it's simply a ploy to raise his price. In any event, he's an intriguing free agent for the Spurs, an athletic swingman with the tools to be a solid defender and he has a nice catch and shoot game from the perimeter. Still, he's a bit raw, though he's improved during his NBA career. For something like 3 years, $15 mil he'd be nice. For the 5 years, $25 or so mil he will receive, he will be too pricey. I think the Warriors overreact to the first somewhat successful season they've had in a decade Adonal Foyle-style.

MB,
I'm curious as to when and how long ago did Pietrus go public about his desire to play for the Spurs? Do you recall what he said exactly?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Pietrus has nice athleticism and some decent skills, but I watched the Warriors a lot this year and the guy makes a lot of really boneheaded plays. I'm not saying scratch him off the list, because he's still a solid wing, but he can definitely be a frustrating player and I'm not sure he has the basketball IQ or desire to tighten up his game. Matt Barnes doesn't have the same physical talent but he challenged Pietrus for minutes all year long because he played with a lot more passion.

I concur. Very streaky and unpredictable player. Great athlete, but he could be a 6'9" SF version of Nazr "I can't work out the system" Mohammed.

Kori Ellis
06-19-2007, 02:32 AM
I concur. Very streaky and unpredictable player. Great athlete, but he could be a 6'9" SF version of Nazr "I can't work out the system" Mohammed.

Except he's only 6'6 :)

Bruno
06-19-2007, 02:51 AM
MB,
I'm curious as to when and how long ago did Pietrus go public about his desire to play for the Spurs? Do you recall what he said exactly?

Pietrus was on Parker radio show two month ago and spoke about his desire to play for Spurs.
I've made a transcription/translation of that :
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1576835&postcount=82

It's not the only time he has said that he wanted to play for SA.

timvp
06-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Pietrus is a hell of an athlete and has a lot of tools. That said, like genghis mentioned, I'm just not sure his bball IQ is at a championship caliber level.

I saw more bball IQ in James White's couple games than I've seen in Pietrus' career.

Admidave50
06-19-2007, 03:21 AM
It would be nice to see Pietrus to the Spurs but he needs to improve

ChumpDumper
06-19-2007, 03:29 AM
Too short.

Next.

Bruno
06-19-2007, 03:46 AM
I'm not high at all on Pietrus but he could be a decent solution.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Except he's only 6'6 :)

Damn, he must have 7' wingspan then - he has full-on gorilla-length arms! :lol

thekingrobert
06-19-2007, 04:27 AM
he did do a lot of boneheaded plays and took really bad shots but thats the gs system remember manu when he first came even though manus iq with his eyes close is better than this guy, bring him in coach em up

Bruno
06-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Damn, he must have 7' wingspan then - he has full-on gorilla-length arms! :lol

He has a 6'9" wingspan.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Hmmmm... maybe I was hallucinating...

Anyway, not a bad backup plan if we can't get Nocioni.

Gros Membres!
06-19-2007, 05:38 AM
I would not blow the load on this guy. Certainly a project - needs to work on D, jump shot needs improvement, and needs to work on brining passion to the game to create intangibles. Reminds me (sorta) of a young Gino but Gino always had the fire so I always knew he'd persevere and get to the top. Pietrus? I just question it. Maybe it's the Barnes thing this year or his reliance on athleticism to trump sound fundamental decisions. Not sure.

I would spend the MLE on someone who would fit in the system in terms of attitude and exsiting skill set (or at least a potential skill set).

xapatan2
06-19-2007, 05:50 AM
i concur with everything that has been said but IMO Pietrus would be a steal :

- he really has the potential to replace Bruce defensively
- he needs, a la tony, to be strongly managed by his coach to develop his game and his BBIQ : Pop would be fucking perfect for that..

the only point i have an interogation about is his health : he has been two or three times wounded and i do not have a clue about this : fragility of the body or his personal responsability ???

Xap'

BigBeezie
06-19-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty sure I've read in print that he wants to play here and I think I heard it on Jim Rome's radio show. I think he could work out well.

I really think we need to target a SF though. Pietrus is only 6'6"...so I'm thinking Nocionni would be a better long-term replacement for Bowen. Who knows?

AFBlue
06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Assuming he takes the qualifying offer, he should be a guy the Spurs target in Summer '08....Spurs have no use for him now.

spursfaninla
06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
6'9 wingspan = length to defend all but the biggest sf's, with the footspeed to bother the slashers among them.

He is alittle light at 215 for the bigger sf's, though. Considering he is not yet a complete package, now might be the time to buy because if he WAS the complete package, we are talking a price range WAY out of ours.

All of this said, if we can actually get the guy and not break the bank (as he said, money is not the issue!), he wants to be here. That kind of enthusiasm from a player who is young, has chemistry with a core member of our team, and has the physical skills....that means he could become much, much more. Then again, how many guys just level out because they lack the desire to improve and just ride their athleticism.

NOT our answer to a "long 3", but if Nocioni does not work work out, then he is better than going to the draft and waiting some years to develop a rookie.

Maybe Barnes is a better shot.

Bruno
06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Pietrus isn't a long SF but a long SF isn't Spurs only need.

Pietrus fill a need for Spurs as an athletic SG/SF who is a very good defender and with a decent offensive game. Signing him this summer would be far from a bad thing. He would learn Spurs defense/system and work on his shoot during his first year before getting more playtime in 08-09.

mathbzh
06-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Pietrus would be a nice defensive addition and despite being only 6'6 he can defend on most SF thanks to his athletism.
His rebounding skills could be helpful.
His offensive game is really not polish but he his a reliable corner 3s shooter. And can finish hard to the rim in transition.
His BB IQ is not very high but the last season he sticked pretty well to his role with GSW. I think he is the typical player who needs to be given a strict role to be effective.
In the long run, the fact he will not play with France this summer may be a good news for him. For the first time since he entered the league he will have the time to work on his skill level. With a decent ball handling and an improved jumpshot he could turn into a great role payer.

About his injuries I hope they are the result of relying too much on his athletism.

Should the spurs sign him? It depends on the $ I am afraid the price will be too high.

mardigan
06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
If Barnes was cheaper, I would rather have him

SenorSpur
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have an opinion as to how Pietrus compares to White onthe defensive end?

TheTruth
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I like Barnes to an extent. I just think he was playing out of his mind in the playoffs, and will be overpaid accordingly. But he's as good a Bowen "replacement" as we'll find. Long, athletic, and a little dirty. I just don't want to overpay.

MoSpur
06-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I like Pietrus. I like that he rebounds better than Bowen and that he is more athletic.

nkdlunch
06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
I'd take him for cheap.

thousandth
06-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I like Pietrus. I like that he rebounds better than Bowen and that he is more athletic.

I agree. But, athletic player=smart player than Bruce? :rolleyes

drclic
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm french and I like Mike Pietrus : I prefer his brother Flo but is not in NBA because of he's a short PF (but he's the best defender i saw on Nowitsky).

Mike is the only french player in NBA without basketball IQ. He's also the less coachable .. Pop will go crazy with his shots and decisions and little talks to the press ...
But don't get me wrong, he's a great defender and he wants to defend !! (that's very rare in NBA)... a lot of energy, still a good slasher and fastbeark finisher(Bowen can't do that), great lateral quickness ... He needs to be "Popoviced" to be great. I didn't see another young Bowen-like player available in NBA ... any idea ?

I don't know if a team will bet on him more than the 5 millions dollars per year ... (he's still a bet)
I think SA can have him for a little less ...

Let's see what Popovic want to draft first ... a PG or a SF ?

Drclic.

Darkwaters
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd take him for cheap.

Definitely. But I see him commanding a fair amount of green this offseason. I'd rather not drop 4-5M on a guy that will only be so so. This team has done a good job of not simply throwing money away like Golden State or New York seems to do.

SenorSpur
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Defensively, this guy will be an upgrade over both Finley or Barry. However it sure sounds like he will be a downgrade in terms of basketball smarts. I would trust Pop to baptize the lad into doing it "the Spurs way". Though my first preference would be Gerald Wallace, I still would like to see him in a Spurs uniform. So long as the $$$ make sense.

zekes
06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2007/06/24/2007-06-24_the_lonely_wolf.html

Once free agency starts, the Raptors have their mid-level exception set aside for Golden State's Mickael Pietrus, who could start for them next season at small forward.

kyleo
06-24-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2007/06/24/2007-06-24_the_lonely_wolf.html

Once free agency starts, the Raptors have their mid-level exception set aside for Golden State's Mickael Pietrus, who could start for them next season at small forward.
Enjoy Toronto, Mickael!

yavozerb
06-24-2007, 09:01 PM
I can already hear Delfino saying "Trade please!!"

Admidave50
06-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I would welcome Mike's arrival though I really doubt he would take less money to come here. He's young and seeking for the best contract, he's not a veterna likes Finley seeking for a ring!

exstatic
06-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Pietrus isn't a long SF but a long SF isn't Spurs only need.

Pietrus fill a need for Spurs as an athletic SG/SF who is a very good defender and with a decent offensive game. Signing him this summer would be far from a bad thing. He would learn Spurs defense/system and work on his shoot during his first year before getting more playtime in 08-09.
THANK YOU. Pietrus may not be the "long three", but shit, that's not the only wing spot we have to fill in the next 12 months.

Bowen 36
Barry 36
Fin 34

One 6'9" ALL WORLD player isn't going to plug all those gaps in the rotation, come 2008.

AFBlue
06-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I can already hear Delfino saying "Trade please!!"

And what about super-athletic Joey Graham? His minutes will already be cut with Delfino coming in. If they target Pietrus this off-season, his days are numbered in Toronto....

Maybe we should be starting a thread about Joey Graham?!?!?!

objective
06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Pietrus plays bigger than his height due to his strength and athleticism, so I don't think him being only 6-6 is a big drawback.

picnroll
06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Not sure that committing a sizeable long term contract this year to any player fits with the Spurs '08 plan. They may want to keep maximum cap flexibility for whatever they have planned.

objective
06-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Not sure that committing a sizeable long term contract this year to any player fits with the Spurs '08 plan. They may want to keep maximum cap flexibility for whatever they have planned.

the 08 plan isn't fixed in concrete I would think.

After all, they offered Joel Przybilla 4/24 before getting turned down and signing Elson and Butler to 08 friendly deals.

Darkwaters
06-24-2007, 10:02 PM
And what about super-athletic Joey Graham? His minutes will already be cut with Delfino coming in. If they target Pietrus this off-season, his days are numbered in Toronto....

Maybe we should be starting a thread about Joey Graham?!?!?!

Good point. Start it up! I'd love to have Joey on the squad.

fuckespn
06-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Good point. Start it up! I'd love to have Joey on the squad.

I was hoping to get him when the Rasho deal was announced but details weren't clear yet

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Is it me, or does the full MLE (via Raptors) seem really expensive for Mikael Pietrus? Toronto seems a good fit for him, but I'd balk at that price.

timvp
06-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Is it me, or does the full MLE (via Raptors) seem really expensive for Mikael Pietrus? Toronto seems a good fit for him, but I'd balk at that price.

Full MLE is about what I expected Pietrus to cost. That's why I've never been overly excited about the possibility of getting him, since it's a stretch to say he's worth that much money.

mathbzh
06-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Full MLE is too much for Pietrus. He doesn't have the offensive game and IQ to go with and his injuries issues makes it a risky move.

SenorSpur
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
IMO, MLE is too expensive for him at this point in his career. He's still got areas of his game to develop. Can't blame him for seeking it out. Just don't think he's worth that much.

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I guess I should say full MLE is too expensive for US. If he was clearly a good player at this point, maybe, but given his production last year and the fact he's not quite putting things together, let him go elsewhere.

SenorSpur
06-25-2007, 09:51 AM
I'll still be interested is seeing what kind (if any) play the Spurs make for him. I wonder if he is on their radar at all.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Someone is asking the same question I am.

Someone needs to explain to me why all the fuss over Mickael Pietrus and why anyone in the world thinks the Raptors should give him a contract that starts at the mid-level salary exception of about $5.8 million per year?

This is Mickeal Pietrus, right? Dude made about $2.5 million last year and is going to more than double his salary?

Dude who played 27 minutes a game on a team that barely snuck into the playoffs last year?

Dude who's a 66 per cent free throw shooter in his career and a 35 per cent shooter from three-point range? They're supposed to pay this guy more than twice as much as he made last year?

I don't know.

I know I talked to one guy in the organization on the weekend who vowed the team would not overpay just to get a free agent and that leads me to believe that someone with a brain in their head will realize that $5.8 million a year to start for Mickael Pietrus is overpaying like crazy.

I've got a feeling the best thing Pietrus has going for him right now is an agent with good connections.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/229508

He uses the word "dude" so much I thought I wrote it.

spurQ
06-26-2007, 02:13 PM
White looks good, i would like to see him play some more next year. Maybe give him some playing time. Pietrus is a ?? mark. He made good plays in the playoffs but he made some bonehead plays too. He is raw but with the right coaching.....maybe