APG
EFF
+ 13.73

Born: Mar 9, 1980
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102,1 kg.
College : UCLA
Years Pro: 3

He'll probably be overpaid because of his great playoff run, but if the price is right I can see him being the perfect "replacement" for Bruce down the road. He did all the little things for GS this season, and he definitely has a little dirty in him. At 6'7" and with those long arms, he'll be able to guard any 3 in the league. I just don't think he'd be quick enough side to side to guard people like Steve Nash or Derron Williams. Definitely not Bruce in that regard.

What would be paying too much for this guy? Is he a better option than anyone we could get in the draft?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2007, 10:38 AM
1. Draft a SF.
2. If not, trade for Nocioni or sign Pietrus.
3. If not, THEN sign Barnes.

mardigan
06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
1. Draft a SF.
2. If not, trade for Nocioni or sign Pietrus.
3. If not, THEN sign Barnes.
1)No rookie would be able to contribute his first year the way Barnes could
2)Barnes is a better option than both of those guys, especially Noccioni
3)It would be nice, Im just hoping its not to expensive

DDS4
06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
UCLA!

He'd be a good fit. Shot selection isn't the greatest, but I think it's a result of Nellie's system.

mathbzh
06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
UCLA!

He'd be a good fit. Shot selection isn't the greatest, but I think it's a result of Nellie's system.
Nellie system is shoot first think later... don't talk about shot selection
:rolleyes

VaSpursFan
06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
wouldn't mind seeing him in a spurs uni...plays with passion, can hit the 3, does the dirty work. he can step in and contribute immediately.

MrChug
06-19-2007, 10:57 AM
If we actually go for an unrestricted free agent signing (which we may not this year), Barnes may be the only viable options. He's pretty awesome and may be in a range that we can afford. If not, I wouldn't be too disappointed though.

Kori Ellis
06-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Barnes has been brought in to work out for San Antonio in several past summers and for some reason never wants to sign here. :lol

I would love to have him, but he prefers to stay in northern California. Last year, if Golden State or the Kings didn't sign him, he was going to go to the NFL instead of stay in the NBA. So I don't know if he will even be an option.

nkdlunch
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
heck no

monosylab1k
06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
1)No rookie would be able to contribute his first year the way Barnes could
3)It would be nice, Im just hoping its not to expensive

are you kidding???

monosylab1k
06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
matt barnes torched the shit out of my team and I still wouldn't want them to sign him.

he's playing in a gimmicky offense, he played halfway decent in his contract year (always a bad sign), and besides killing Dallas, he really didn't play that great. Unless he sticks with Nellie, he's going to go back to being the pile of shit he was before. I wholeheartedly encourage the Spurs to sign him.

Darkwaters
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Ummm, no. Andrés Nocioni is exactly what we need. Hes more polished at this stage of his career than Barnes will likely ever be and he already has chemistry with Manu and Fabri. Barnes would be a waste of money.

Kori Ellis
06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
If they look at Barnes, it won't be just because of his offense against Dallas. It will be the same reasons they have looked at him in years past ... they like his D and his intensity.

But I don't think he'll end up here. If he was going to end up here, it probably would have happened a couple summers back.

sa_butta
06-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I think his stock has gone past our budget to obtain him. We could really use an energy guy like him though.

Bruno
06-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see Barnes at all as a good defender. He hustle a lot but it's not enough to be a good defender. Nocioni is too in the same category to me.

mardigan
06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Ummm, no. Andrés Nocioni is exactly what we need. Hes more polished at this stage of his career than Barnes will likely ever be and he already has chemistry with Manu and Fabri. Barnes would be a waste of money.
Nocioni isnt a great defender, isnt quick or athletic, and played like dog shit in this years playoffs. The chemistry thing is fine and all, but Berrty might not even be here and it doesnt seem to matter who the Spurs bring in, they always seem to bring in guys that mesh pretty well, especially in their second year. I just have never really like Andres game. But as Kori said, it probably doesnt matter about Barnes anyway

Bruno
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Nocioni isnt a great defender, isnt quick or athletic, and played like dog shit in this years playoffs.

:wtf
He was injured.
Nocioni usualy step up in the playoffs.

Mitch Cumsteen
06-19-2007, 11:43 AM
matt barnes torched the shit out of my team and I still wouldn't want them to sign him.

he's playing in a gimmicky offense, he played halfway decent in his contract year (always a bad sign), and besides killing Dallas, he really didn't play that great. Unless he sticks with Nellie, he's going to go back to being the pile of shit he was before. I wholeheartedly encourage the Spurs to sign him.
You can't really bash a guy with a one year contract for only being good in his contract year. He's never had a long term deal before. Every year of his career has been a contract year.

I liked Barnes when he was with Sacto -- a good energy player, which you can always use. He was great all season for the Warriors, not just the playoffs. He's going to be too expensive though. No way we're overspending for a free agent with so much depth at the 3. And that neck tattoo is horrible.

mardigan
06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
:wtf
He was injured.
Nocioni usualy step up in the playoffs.
He averaged over 25 minutes a game against the Heat and was horrible. He didnt play as much against Detroit but was still horrible. I guess coming off an injury is a decent excuse, but Skiles shouldnt have played him the minutes he played if he was hurt

MoSpur
06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't understand all the love for Nocioni. I think he is good, but to me people are making him seem like he is Jordan or something.

TheTruth
06-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't understand all the love for Nocioni. I think he is good, but to me people are making him seem like he is Jordan or something.
I think it's just that we've seen what kind of heart and fire Argentines play with, and we want some more.

Bruno
06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
He averaged over 25 minutes a game against the Heat and was horrible. He didnt play as much against Detroit but was still horrible. I guess coming off an injury is a decent excuse, but Skiles shouldnt have played him the minutes he played if he was hurt

He wasn't coming off an injury, he was still injured during the playoffs. He has to wear now a walking boot for two months.
I agree that Skiles shouldn't have used him during he playoffs but Nocioni wanted to play despite the pain. He is a tough player and a winner.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2007, 01:04 PM
I hate buying high -- especially from a guy who played for Nellie.

BigBeezie
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Matt Barnes is okay. If we could get him for about 500K per year then yeah...why not?

Solid D
06-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Matt Barnes did a tremendous job defending Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs...both straight-up and in traps and switches off the screen/rolls.

He'd help the Spurs and he would be a nice 3/4 who can knock down the corner 3.

TheTruth
06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Do you think he'll get the entire MLE from a team?

greens
06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I think it would be great if the Spurs can get Matt Barnes. He really impressed me during the GS/Dallas series. He's a good 3 point shooter, good defender, does not mind passing the ball at all...And he's a smart player.

I think he would be a nice fit.

K-State Spur
06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Do you think he'll get the entire MLE from a team?

at least. possibly for 5 years. a team with cap room may even go over that for his services as well.

he is crazy athletic and and his jumpshot was looking pretty solid in the series against dallas. because of that, he's likely to get an offer that is above what you would actually see his production being worth.

personally, i'd be shocked if we're a serious competitor for his services. of the two, pietrus is probably a more reasonable possibility - although how reasonable remains to be seen.

timvp
06-19-2007, 07:17 PM
I hate buying high -- especially from a guy who played for Nellie.Exactly. Going after Barnes would be buying extremely high. He could have been had last summer for the league minimum.

And then adding in the Nellie factor ... it'd just be a hard pill to swallow to have to outbid everyone for him.

Matt Barnes did a tremendous job defending Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs...both straight-up and in traps and switches off the screen/rolls.

He'd help the Spurs and he would be a nice 3/4 who can knock down the corner 3.Also true. Barnes would solve the Long Three problem once and for all.

The Spurs have to look at him this summer. But I think the combination of him not wanting to leave Cali and the big contract he'll receive will keep the Spurs away.

picnroll
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
When Barnes came in did the Spurs ever actually make him an offer?

exstatic
06-19-2007, 07:27 PM
He wasn't "coming off an injury". He still had Plantar Fasciatis, and way worse than Tim did. He missed significant time during the season. It's funny, but even with an admittedly shitty playoff run this year, his 3 year career playoff numbers are as good as and frequently better than his regular season numbers. He was a fucking monster in the '06 playoffs, averaging 22.5p/8.8r

mardigan
06-19-2007, 09:28 PM
He wasn't "coming off an injury". He still had Plantar Fasciatis, and way worse than Tim did. He missed significant time during the season. It's funny, but even with an admittedly shitty playoff run this year, his 3 year career playoff numbers are as good as and frequently better than his regular season numbers. He was a fucking monster in the '06 playoffs, averaging 22.5p/8.8r
Already been covered, Bruno already set me straight.
And yea, 22.3 and 9 are nice, but it was only one series, 6 games, so I dont read to much into those numbers

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
*files under too good to happen*

he's going to be asking A LOT more then what the Spurs are willing to pay

NorCal510
06-19-2007, 09:31 PM
yall aint takin my boy matt B!!!

greens
06-20-2007, 01:53 AM
I found a youtube clip...of Matt putting a cheap shot on James White...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F256m3T-qKE

So I don't know. I really think that Matt is an excellent player...but with the Spurs putting as much value into character/personality...not sure if they'll even go for Matt.

mountainballer
06-20-2007, 02:30 AM
I found a youtube clip...of Matt putting a cheap shot on James White...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F256m3T-qKE

So I don't know. I really think that Matt is an excellent player...but with the Spurs putting as much value into character/personality...not sure if they'll even go for Matt.

another foul like this.
no, Spurs would never aquire a player like this.... oh wait. nevermind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4UF4Av_g0&mode=related&search=

greens
06-20-2007, 03:01 AM
another foul like this.
no, Spurs would never aquire a player like this.... oh wait. nevermind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4UF4Av_g0&mode=related&search=

I think we all know Nash overdramatized the incident...And also there is a difference, at the end, Horry had to foul Nash, who began racing on court...Horry, who is much bigger than Nash, might have pushed him a bit. But it wasn't that bad at all...

With the Matt situation, it was done for no reason...and no flopping was involved this time...It was just a plain old cheap shot.

But the way I see it, I would want the Spurs to get Matt Barnes because he really is a solid player. I don't know much about his character/personality. Only noticed him in the GS/Dallas series...and there were plenty of technicals/ejections from the Golden State team...Overall, I really liked Matt as a player. As for personality wise, as I've said above, I can't judge since I don't know much about him at all...just the few bits and pieces.

mountainballer
06-20-2007, 03:39 AM
I think we all know Nash overdramatized the incident...And also there is a difference, at the end, Horry had to foul Nash, who began racing on court...Horry, who is much bigger than Nash, might have pushed him a bit. But it wasn't that bad at all...

ok, next time I add a irony warning.

yes, the Spurs are always looking for character guys, but IMO this means their work ethic, leadership ability and lookerroom behaving. almost every player has some hard fouls in his record, even some cheap shots.
and Pop for sure expects his players to play hard and maybe sometimes even to foul hard.
so, this foul wouldn't prevent the Spurs from signing Barnes, as long as Barnes fullfills the other characteristics Spurs usually are looking for.

sabar
06-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Too expensive

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Could he possibly take less money to join us? He's reportedly not getting many offers.

"Right now, there's nothing happening," he said. "I was thinking the midlevel exception was realistic, but my agent has been telling me teams have questioned whether the success I had was because of (Warriors coach Don) Nelson's system and whether or not I could have the same success in another system.

"It's pretty frustrating because I thought I had a good year," said Barnes, who averaged 9.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists and shot 43.8 percent from the field, including 36.6 percent from three-point range, in 23.9 minutes per game during the regular season. "It was not a great season, but it was good. And from what other players have received, I thought I'd be right there in that mix. But Golden State has not come around to what I thought they might, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/268925.html

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
If the Spurs were to sign Barnes, it would be in a scenario like this, with a lack of interest around the league leading to a cheap price and perhaps a player ready to prove some wrong.

wildbill2u
07-12-2007, 02:19 PM
What makes anyone think that a FA like Barnes won't be re-signed by his Team. He fits well into Nellie's system and has thrived there, plus he likes California. So he looking around for a better deal--BFD--I bet GS wants him to stay and will make him a good offer.

Why does everyone get excited over some FA who probably will never be a realistic signing for the Spurs? Sure this is more possible than the 'Sign Kobe" thread, but come on....

mountainballer
07-12-2007, 02:54 PM
GSW is still waiting what happens with Pietrus IMO, or what it will cost to keep MP. (he's restricted, so they can wait what the market tells). Barnes has to be patient.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I heard Barnes switched agents to Dan Fegan because Fegan promised he could get him MLE level. And now, Fegan isn't really doing much with Barnes because he's all caught up in the Yi fiasco, and Barnes hasn't even gotten any offers for 1/2 the MLE.

mountainballer
07-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I heard Barnes switched agents to Dan Fegan because Fegan promised he could get him MLE level. And now, Fegan isn't really doing much with Barnes because he's all caught up in the Yi fiasco, and Barnes hasn't even gotten any offers for 1/2 the MLE.

wasn't it a similar story with Fegan and SJax in 2003?
(on the other hand- few agents have so many players with above average contracts as clients. he just got 27 million for Carroll. yes, Matt Carroll)

picnroll
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
GMs should get together and boycott Fegan clients.

Hemotivo
07-12-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.izcallibur.com/ocio/jerry/fjerry_a03.jpg

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 04:39 PM

If Barnes fails to get the MLE, Fegan should be forced to pay the difference. That'd be hilarious.

Darkwaters
07-12-2007, 04:43 PM
For half the MLE I'd gladly take Barnes.

coachmac87
07-12-2007, 05:04 PM
If they look at Barnes, it won't be just because of his offense against Dallas. It will be the same reasons they have looked at him in years past ... they like his D and his intensity.

But I don't think he'll end up here. If he was going to end up here, it probably would have happened a couple summers back.

ya a couple summers back??? how long ago was that??? its a different situation now so i dont think u can say we had our chance to get him..we added another championship and he wasnt as good of a player couple of summers ago...and we need a player like him NOW...dont kno if he wants to come here and if the spurs are even interested..but just because they tried a couple summers ago doesnt mean they cant try again.... :dizzy

Darkwaters
07-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Matt Barnes is the perfect type of player for our system. Hes our long 3 smallball 4. If we bring him in to a 3 year deal then we can stash Sanikidze over in Europe a while longer. Then when Barnes is up for extension we can decide if hes worth keeping or simply opt for the cheaper version (Sanikidze) if Barnes was underwhelming in his time with the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
The Spurs have wanted Barnes several times, but he doesn't want to leave NorCal. Last time he played outside King/Warriors, he had such a bad experience that he almost quit the NBA and went to play in the NFL.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Azubuike signed a two-year deal for the veteran minimum. Frankly, I’m stunned. The deal, because it’s for the minimum, doesn’t count against either our mid-level or bi-annual exception. Given his summer league play, it should also place Matt Barnes on notice as to his potential going rate – as noted by many readers in prior comments. The deal is a steal however you cut it, but here’s what I expect the reasoning was from Azubuike’s side: (1) He likes the Warriors and Nelson will play him in a way that drives up his value around the league. The deal has a player option on the second year, so he can bail next year for a richer package; (2) He sees the writing on the wall as to small forward deals this off-season. With Desmond Mason, Barnes, Pietrus and other small forwards without deals, there’s unlikely to be much money left over for less-established players (even though Azubuike’s upside may be higher); (3) Warriors’ brass may have tipped their cards to him regarding their other free agent plans. Kelenna may have signed the deal with assurances that only one – if either – of the Barnes / Pietrus combo is in the Warriors’ future. Given Nellie’s love of versatile swingmen, Mullin and Co. were likely able to promise significant minutes for the young scorer.

Mid-level exceptions keep disappearing. Almost every free agent signed in the last few days was done under the mid-level exception. For Barnes and Pietrus, each day that passes without a deal probably costs them tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars. As I wrote in the last post, Mullin’s newfound patience – regardless of who you attribute it to – is paying off (literally, for Cohan’s wallet). I’ll repeat it again, however: anything gained by this strategy goes out the window if we give Davis an extension this summer.

link (http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/warriors/2007/07/14/weekend-quick-shots/)

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2007, 01:35 AM
For Warriors' free agents Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus, it's the likely ceiling with almost every team over the cap, but getting close to that salary is going to be a tough sell this summer.

League sources said Toronto, Dallas and Miami were among those interested in Pietrus, but the Raptors committed their midlevel exception to sharpshooter Jason Kapono, and the Heat are still hoping to lure point guard Mo Williams away from Milwaukee.

Talks with Golden State have been slow-moving and interest in a multi-year deal might be lukewarm on both ends. Happy Walters, Pietrus' agent, said the Warriors "have not been very responsive" since tendering a one-year offer of about $3.5 million last month.

"If they have an interest in keeping Mickael, they need to let us know," Walters said.

Warriors vice president Chris Mullin confirmed this week that he has been in contact with both Pietrus' and Barnes' representatives, but no deal appears close with the latter, either.

Barnes' agent, Dan Fegan, declined to answer questions while in Las Vegas for the summer league, but it's unlikely that the Warriors will commit close to their full midlevel exception to Barnes after paying the league minimum of $771,331 last season.

That leaves Barnes and Pietrus competing for dollars in a crowded yet unexceptional market that figures to get stingier as the summer progresses. Williams and Cleveland's Anderson Varejao are the top remaining names, but might not receive more than the midlevel, given the scarcity of teams left under the salary cap.

link (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/07/13/SPGHAQVJTH1.DTL)