PDA

View Full Version : A Sensible Policy All Spurs Fans Will Like

Shred
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
High-fives could mean detention for students in Va. school (http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/06/18/no.touching.rule.ap/index.html)

POSTED: 5:30 p.m. EDT, June 18, 2007
Story Highlights
• Parents sent a letter asking the county school board to review the rule
• Students can be disciplined for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving
• Principal: Rule is meant to ensure students are comfortable and safe

VIENNA, Virginia (AP) -- A show of affection almost landed a teenage boy in detention.

Hugging was 13-year-old Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was let off with a warning, but the cost of a repeat offense could be detention.

A rule against physical contact at Kilmer Middle School, about 10 miles west of Washington, is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

Unlike some schools, which ban fighting or inappropriate touching, Kilmer Middle School bans all touching.

But that doesn't seem necessary to Hal and his parents. They've sent a letter asking the county school board to review the rule.

But at a school of 1,100 students that was meant to accommodate 850, school officials think touching can turn into a big deal. They've seen pokes lead to fights, gang signs in the form of handshakes and girls who are uncomfortable being hugged but embarrassed to say anything.

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

Hernandez said the no-touching rule is meant to ensure that students are comfortable and that crowded hallways and lunchrooms stay safe. She said school officials are allowed to use their judgment in enforcing the rule. Typically, only repeat offenders are reprimanded.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

FromWayDowntown
06-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Still complaining about the league's unwillingness to make an exception to a rule that has always been enforced with suspensions, in accordance with its black-letter terms?

I'm sure I'll be villified for "refusing to let this go . . . . ."

degenerate_gambler
06-19-2007, 04:27 PM
does that include hip-checking?

BeerIsGood!
06-19-2007, 04:28 PM
What does this have to do with basketball?

I suggest you go to the TITLE CELEBRATION threads and bask in the glory of the Spurs Championship a little more.

After all, the Spurs were 3-2 against the Suns with Amare in the lineup and the game he wasn't in the lineup was a closer matchup than the games he was.

ClingingMars
06-19-2007, 04:28 PM
i know a policy all spurs fans love

first priority of our organization: winning championships

first priority of the suns: scoring

also, this is another perfect example of why I don't attend Virginia Public School, private school ftw

-Mars

CubanMustGo
06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I know a policy Spurs fans SHOULD follow but don't:

QUIT RESPONDING TO EVERYTHING THIS LITTLE BITCH POSTS.

Leetonidas
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM
What an idiot. Worst Suns "fan" ever.

DDS4
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM

L.I.T
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Let me guess, the kid is Amares?

Cry Havoc
06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
High-fives could mean detention for students in Va. school (http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/06/18/no.touching.rule.ap/index.html)

Story Highlights

VIENNA, Virginia (AP) -- A show of affection almost landed a teenage boy in detention.

Hugging was 13-year-old Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was let off with a warning, but the cost of a repeat offense could be detention.

A rule against physical contact at Kilmer Middle School, about 10 miles west of Washington, is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

Unlike some schools, which ban fighting or inappropriate touching, Kilmer Middle School bans all touching.

But that doesn't seem necessary to Hal and his parents. They've sent a letter asking the county school board to review the rule.

But at a school of 1,100 students that was meant to accommodate 850, school officials think touching can turn into a big deal. They've seen pokes lead to fights, gang signs in the form of handshakes and girls who are uncomfortable being hugged but embarrassed to say anything.

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

Hernandez said the no-touching rule is meant to ensure that students are comfortable and that crowded hallways and lunchrooms stay safe. She said school officials are allowed to use their judgment in enforcing the rule. Typically, only repeat offenders are reprimanded.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

It's not his fault that the little girl couldn't play defense.

tekdragon
06-19-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1195460/2/istockphoto_1195460_exploding_bottle_of_champagne. jpg http://www.bourbonstreet-tokyo.com/bourbon_street/contents/bar/cigars/images/cigars

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpg http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpg http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpg http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/10/photos/nhl-obrientrophy.jpg

Avitus1
06-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Story Highlights

Hmmmmm how to respond to this, hmmmmm......

Oh wait I know!

http://www.home.no/mrweizel/gay%20thread.jpg

Extra Stout
06-19-2007, 05:16 PM
It's time to break out the :ban:.

Spurminator
06-19-2007, 05:22 PM
If this guy is really a Suns fan I'm really Manute Bol.

He doesn't type like a complete moron, so one has to assume he has the mental wherewithal to understand the embarrassment he is bringing upon Suns fans with this schtick. No way does a real Suns fan make himself and his fellow fans such an easy target.

That would be like bumping a thread you made two years ago suggesting the Spurs trade Bruce Bowen for a scrub point guard.

No, Shred is likely just a Spurs fan (or perhaps a Mavs/Pistons fan) who understands how boring the offseason can be before the draft, so he thought it would be fun to amuse us by being our little punching bag for a few weeks. Pretty fun if you ask me, and I appreciate the service he has provided to the forum.

ambchang
06-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Not at all, banning of all physical contact would severely compromise the defensive integrity of the Spurs. On the other hand, I think the principal Deborah Hernandez is a Suns fan, she hates physical contact.

SpursWoman
06-19-2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.lawschoolpoker.com/i/codeambulancechasers.jpg

Extra Stout
06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm Shred.

Johnny RIngo
06-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Suns Suspensions Bring '97 Knicks to Mind

The Phoenix Suns have only themselves to blame after Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw were suspended last night for leaving the bench during the final seconds of the Suns' Game 4 win over San Antonio.

KRTTen years ago, the Knicks had their season ruined when Patrick Ewing was suspended one game in a second round playoff series against Miami for leaving the bench. Larry Johnson, Allan Houston and John Starks raced off the bench to break up the fight between Charlie Ward and P.J. Brown, while Ewing wandered just a few feet from the bench before being told by Buck Williams to get off the court.

The rule was established to prevent players from escalating an altercation. Rather than three referees having to possibly worry about 30 players on the court at one time, the officials and the respective coaches have a chance to control 10 players.

During his weekly appearance on NBA TV Tuesday night, Ewing said he was "pissed" when the league ruled him ineligible for Game 6 against Miami, along with Ward and Houston, while Johnson and Starks served their suspensions in Game 7.

I still believe had Starks and Ewing had the chance to play together in either Game 6 or 7, the Knicks would have defeated an inferior Miami Heat team. Starks, you may remember, was the league's Sixth Man of the Year in 1996-97.

The Ewing suspension cost the Knicks a chance to face Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals. It would have been an epic series since both teams were clearly the best in the East. (I think the Knicks would have won in six games.)

Does the rule need to be altered? It seems only logical that as long as the player in question never comes close to being involved in the fracas a suspension is not necessary. Ewing, Stoudemire and Diaw all moved toward the scrum but all three quickly retreated and avoided contact with the players currently on the floor.

The Knicks and Ewing were burned by the letter of the law. The Suns had 10 years to get it right and one moment in a great playoff series may have cost them their best chance at an NBA title. Ewing and the Knicks know the feeling.

Deb
06-19-2007, 08:08 PM

Story Highlights

Damn, I thought this article was going to be about a bunch of Va. kids who were Spurs fans and were high fiving the Spurs, and subsequently getting in trouble. A complete waste of time - I only read to the end because I kept thinking they were going to mention the Spurs. :madrun :madrun

Guajalote
06-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I've been a teacher for 12 years. I've taught 2nd, 3rd, and 5th graders. One commonality of all those ages is a lack of maturity to accept consequences for actions that have been clearly defined as unacceptable.

I'll illustrate this concept with the following two examples.

Example #1-- "Amare, don't forget to get your work finished or you'll have to stay in at recess and get it done." Later, you guessed it, Amare doesn't get his work done and has to stay in for recess. Amare is upset with me, and whines and complains incessantly about unfairness. But the fact remains that he broke a clearly established rule and must therefore, pay a penalty.

Example #2-- "Boris, you've been out of your seat all morning. Don't get out of your seat without permission again, or else you'll have to write sentences." What happens? Yup. Boris gets out of his seat because a mean ol' bully is picking on his friend. He complains that I'm picking on him, not taking into account his prior behavior, nor the clearly-stated warning that I had given him. He has to write sentences because he broke a clearly established rule and must pay a penalty. The bully, by the way, has to serve detention for two days.

Rules are established to maintain discipline, order, and safety. Nobody, least of all the Commish, wants to see people punished, but when anyone chooses to break the rules, a penalty must be paid.

Now, sharpen your pencils, sit down, open your math books to page 142, and be quiet for the lesson! :reading

Dilldoe
06-19-2007, 08:51 PM
eight years of trolling (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.basketball.nba.sa-spurs/browse_thread/thread/94fdc96eddc265a0/5a007f2d9c3a0efd?lnk=gst&q=shred&rnum=55#5a007f2d9c3a0efd)

and it will never stop (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.basketball.nba.sa-spurs/browse_thread/thread/5a3fc086d1bf2f60/ed5ec371af2fe689?lnk=gst&q=shred&rnum=62#ed5ec371af2fe689)

picnroll
06-19-2007, 09:01 PM
We're going to make an exception to the no touching rule and we're going to give all Suns' fans a hug and a hankie.

Dilldoe
06-19-2007, 09:01 PM
they just need a little attention, that's all

td4mvp21
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
More attention whores from the Suns fan base. Nice!

Johnny RIngo
06-19-2007, 11:54 PM
eight years of trolling (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.basketball.nba.sa-spurs/browse_thread/thread/94fdc96eddc265a0/5a007f2d9c3a0efd?lnk=gst&q=shred&rnum=55#5a007f2d9c3a0efd)

and it will never stop (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.basketball.nba.sa-spurs/browse_thread/thread/5a3fc086d1bf2f60/ed5ec371af2fe689?lnk=gst&q=shred&rnum=62#ed5ec371af2fe689)

LOL

I can understand his angsty attitude and frustration now. He's been supporting a garbage team for almost a decade.