PDA

View Full Version : Kids, Don't End Up Like Me

06-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Wear freaking sunscreen when outside.

Got a call today from my dermatologist that they found another basal cell carcinoma (read: skin cancer) on my neck that needs to be removed (read: chunks cut out until they don't see anymore under the microscope). :madrun

Stupid sun.

marini martini
06-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, so true! My hubby's had a few chunks cut out, too. Luckily i've avoided the sun for a long time. Read..pale, but healthy.
good luck to you. :toast

Spurminator
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Sucks, sorry to hear about that. Good luck.

ObiwanGinobili
06-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow, so true! My hubby's had a few chunks cut out, too. Luckily i've avoided the sun for a long time. Read..pale, but healthy.
good luck to you. :toast

me too.
pale, but healthy.
and I slather my girls in 50 spf.

Sorry to hear abotu that 1369, good luck! :toast

Borosai
06-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear that 1369. I had stayed out of the sun for a long time, but I recently started tanning on my roof (I know, wtf?) since a little sunlight is good for the skin. Nothing extreme... just like 10-20 mins every other day or so. It beats being pale (no offense to the pasty people here) but the force is strong with the Sun. I have some SPF 70 (I think) waiting for those long days out in the sun (read -> beach), but I haven't used any recently.

06-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I live under a cover of Bullfrog SPF 50 now, but being of fair skin (back when I had hair it was red and freckles) it seems my past of getting burnt has come back to haunt me.

The outpatient surgery isn't that big of a deal, it's just a pain in the ass (or really, neck).

Sapphire
06-19-2007, 08:45 PM
I wish you luck! My mom has it on her hands and face, so she's always reminding me to wear sunscreen. She wears a big hat outside and tries to limit her time out in the sun, which really sucks for her. She loves to walk and swim and work in the garden so it's put a cramp in her style, for sure.

tsb2000
06-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Got a call today from my dermatologist that they found another basal cell carcinoma (read: skin cancer) on my neck that needs to be removed (read: chunks cut out until they don't see anymore under the microscope). :madrun

Stupid sun.

I feel you. I'm very light skinned and I live in Phoenix, after growing up in SA. I've got a lot of those scars (5 and counting) all over me, with the dermatologist on speed dial.

Also- there is aftershave with a sunscreen available. It's kinda expensive, but very much worth it.

marini martini
06-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I wish you luck! My mom has it on her hands and face, so she's always reminding me to wear sunscreen. She wears a big hat outside and tries to limit her time out in the sun, which really sucks for her. She loves to walk and swim and work in the garden so it's put a cramp in her style, for sure.

BABY????????????? :toast

Flea
06-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Stupid sun.

Sorry to hear that!

Shelly
06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
My husband had that also a few years ago. He's fair also, but wasn't a sun worshipper like I was. He had this thing under his eye for like 10 years and finally had it removed for cosmetic reasons and it turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. He went to someone that does cosmetic eye surgery to have it removed and she sent it to pathology. Then he had to go to a dermo that specialized in skin cancer and he had the eye surgeon sew him back up. She did a wonderful job as he has no scar at all.

marini martini
06-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow, that's awesome. I don't understand why peeps don't get face stuff taken off for cosmetic reasons. Like say.... Aaron Neville :depressed :depressed :depressed :toast

Summers
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Yikes! Hope they get it all!

td4mvp21
06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Nice to know after I got a good sunburn this weekend :pctoss.

Shelly
06-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I live under a cover of Bullfrog SPF 50 now, but being of fair skin (back when I had hair it was red and freckles) it seems my past of getting burnt has come back to haunt me.

The outpatient surgery isn't that big of a deal, it's just a pain in the ass (or really, neck).

KSAT had a thing on sunscreens last week (it might have been a Consumer Reports test) and they said the best at blocking UVA and UVB were Neutorgena and that NO AD sunblock.

Flea
06-19-2007, 10:21 PM
We use the NO AD SPF 60!

Jimcs50
06-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Stupid sun.

Had a couple of basal cells removed as well...no scars though, had it done by pastic surgeon rather than a dermatologist. I suggest you do the same. GL to you.