PDA

View Full Version : What about LARRY BROWN if P.J. Leaves for Seattle?

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 01:30 AM
What about Larry assisting Pop for a year or so. ?

On Saturday, Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown expressed a desire to return to coaching, and said he's interested in filling the Sacramento Kings' vacancy.

So far, neither party has called the other to facilitate a discussion.

Brown said he wouldn't be the first one to call and Kings management refuses to comment on the situation.

Reggie Theus got the Kings job.

http://www.nba.com/media/encyclopedia/LarryPop_220_060430.jpg

J.T.
06-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Larry Brown will never take an assistant coach job. If he does it will be the first time you hear about an assistant coach getting a max deal worth shittons of millions.

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 01:47 AM
well only cuz he is good friends with Pop.

and I miss this outfit

http://czabe.com/daily/archives/picoday_brown_bowtie.jpg

J.T.
06-20-2007, 01:49 AM
If PJ leaves, it could happen. I don't think Larry will get another head coaching job, and I don't think he has the ego to be just an assistant. He is friends with Pop but that doesnt mean he will get a job here.

johngateswhiteley
06-20-2007, 01:54 AM
hell no.

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 01:54 AM
He wouldnt take any other assistant job anywhere, thats for sure, I think he would if pop asked him, it would fix his image a bit after Knicks fiasco.

Larry is a good man, with pop, the spurs team would be so crazy.

BeerIsGood!
06-20-2007, 02:13 AM
He didn't like being in SA before, and won't like it now that he's an old "set in his ways" coot.

coachmac87
06-20-2007, 02:18 AM
that would never work...larry would become try and become the coach and pop would feel the pressure having his mentor as ur assistant?? no sir wont work...

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Well pop had Egan as his assistant and that was his mentor.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Nope. Why would Larry want to be Pop's assistant? :wtf

Our FO does a good job of bringing talent through the organisation. With Sam and maybe PJ moving on, bring in someone young with potential and elevate all the existing staff's responsibilities.

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Because

1. larry wants to get back into coaching
2. fix his image a bit
3. friends with pop
4. can be great with veterans, plays, defenses, etc.
5. great basketball mind

im just saying , they should ask him if we loose P.J.

LB and Pop are best of friends. Pop was best man at LB wedding.

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 05:33 AM
During his time as head coach at Pomona-Pitzer, Popovich became a disciple of and eventually close friends with University of Kansas head coach Larry Brown.

Popovich would eventually decide to take off the 1985-1986 season at Pomona-Pitzer to become a volunteer assistant at the University of Kansas, where he could study directly under Brown.

Popovich returned to Pomona-Pitzer and resumed his duties as head coach the next season.

Popovich and Buford both got their starts in the NBA in 1988 as assistants on Larry Brown's coaching staff with the Spurs.

Following the 1987-1988 season, Popovich joined Larry Brown as the lead assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs.

Popovich was even the best man in Brown's wedding in 1990, and the two would later coach against each other in the 2005 NBA Finals, with Brown coaching the Detroit Pistons.

From 1988 to 1992, Popovich was the top assistant under Brown, before the entire staff [including R.C. Buford and Ed Manning] was fired by owner Red McCombs.

boutons_
06-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Didn't I read where Larry is talking to SAC?

exstatic
06-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Larry Brown's ego will no longer fit into the state of Texas. He would NEVER take an assistant position, especially not with the first franchise to actually fire him and send his ass packing. Thanks, Red. You done good.

4. can be great with veterans, plays, defenses, etc.
That quote shows you don't know anything about Larry Brown. Veterans are the first ones to tire of his act.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2007, 07:46 AM

Reggie Theus took that job.

As unwilling as Brown is to settle down, he knows the game like the back of his hand. He'd be an excellent 'other voice' on the bench for Pop.

What would make sense though is that Pop promotes Budenholzer to top assistant if PJ leaves.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2007, 07:48 AM
2. fix his image a bit

Larry Brown is an egomaniac and a jackass. There's no fixing him image, he's a prick. I don't want him anywhere near the Spurs.

ATXSPUR
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
In Our Fucking Dreams!!!!!!!

ATXSPUR
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Larry Brown is an egomaniac and a jackass. There's no fixing him image, he's a prick. I don't want him anywhere near the Spurs.

I do!!! He is one of the top 10 bball coaches EVER!

MoSpur
06-20-2007, 08:44 AM
No way. Not even if Pop left. No way.

ducks
06-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Reggie Theus new coach of Sacramento Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2909841

New Mexico State coach Reggie Theus is going home again -- back to the NBA and back to the Kings, but this time in Sacramento, not where he starred in Kansas City.

The Sacramento Kings will name Theus their next coach later Tuesday night. ESPN.com first reported the news and Theus confirmed it.

Theus wouldn't confirm the figures but ESPN.com has learned that he will get a three-year deal, worth an estimated $6 million.

Theus will replace Eric Musselman, who was fired after the Kings went 33-49 and missed the playoffs in his only season as coach.

"I'm stunned," Theus told ESPN.com. "As of Sunday, I believed I was the darkhorse."

Theus said he spoke with Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie early Tuesday evening and was told he had the job.

"I'm an NBA guy coaching in college," Theus said.

Sacramento first offered the job to Stan Van Gundy, but he went to Orlando once Billy Donovan asked out of his signed contract to return to the University of Florida.

Theus interviewed with the Kings twice and won the job over Lakers assistant Brian Shaw. The Kings also talked to another Lakers assistant, Kurt Rambis.

Theus led New Mexico State to the NCAA tournament after winning the WAC tournament in Las Cruces. The NCAA berth, which ended in a first-round loss to Texas, was the first for NMSU since 1999. Theus led NMSU to back-to-back winning seasons in his two seasons at the school. He coached them to a 25-9 record this past season. NMSU was 6-24 in the season before he arrived in 2005. Theus came to NMSU after a two-year stint as an assistant to Rick Pitino in Louisville.

Theus said that Pitino and his college coach, UNLV's Jerry Tarkanian, whom he played for from 1976-78, called Petrie on his behalf. He said he first met Petrie when the Kings were interested in drafting Louisville's Francisco Garcia after the Cardinals went to the Final Four in 2005.

"Coach Pitino and coach Tarkanian helped me because they know me as a person," Theus said. "I don't think anyone has looked at me as a college guy. People always looked at me as a pro guy. That's my pedigree. I spent 13 years as a player. I don't know why other college coaches haven't been successful. But most of the guys didn't play in the pros. I just know that I'm different. My credibility going in the door isn't as someone who hasn't played the game."

Theus got to know the Kings owners, the Maloof family, while at New Mexico State since the family is from New Mexico and supports the program. But Theus said as soon as he was told he was a possible candidate, he asked for 10 tapes of Kings' games from the NBA and started watching the team.

"I don't think it's going to be a quick fix," Theus said. "I do believe that we have to start out and create an identity. From the games I've seen, I couldn't figure out who they were as a team."

Theus said one of the first things he's going to do is meet with Ron Artest and Mike Bibby.

"I want to find out from them how we make this work since it's their team," Theus said. "I'm the leader but it's their team. I remember as a pro myself that I always liked it when the coach came to me to talk about how we can make it work.

"Both players are high-caliber players and at this point in their careers how much are they willing to sacrifice? But before that we have to start out with an identity and play a certain style to be successful," Theus said.

Theus had a contract on the table from NMSU that would have bumped his annual salary from $355,000 to $466,000, with a new five-year rollover.

Theus had been outspoken this spring about his desire to return to the NBA, where he was an All-Star. He played in the league for 13 seasons, mostly with Chicago and Kansas City, which became Sacramento in 1985. He also played for Atlanta, Orlando and New Jersey before going to Europe in 1991.

Theus coached as a volunteer at Cal State-Los Angeles in the summer leagues for the Sixers and Nuggets, and then the ABA's Las Vegas Slam before Pitino hired him on a whim. Theus also worked in television as an actor.

But his dream was to get to the NBA as a coach, saying many times over the past month to ESPN.com that he was an "NBA guy" and could relate to a player as well as any other coach.

Theus said he would start calling recruits either late Tuesday night or Wednesday to let them know that he has left New Mexico State for the NBA. He said that includes highly-touted newcomer Herb Pope out of the Pittsburgh area.

Theus said he is indebted to Pitino and New Mexico State athletic director McKinley Boston.

"Dr. Boston knew this day would probably come but what it means is that this program is on solid ground," Theus said. "It's one of the top two or three mid-major programs in the country with our schedule, facilities and administration. I don't know who they will hire but maintaining continuity will be key with a veteran team."

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

SenorSpur
06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
When are the GMs around this league going to get over their infatuation with LArry Brown. Sure he's a HOF coach, but the drama and internal organizational turmoil he brings usually outweighs his on-court success. Look at this last two stops (DET & N.Y.) and decide whether he's worth the trouble.

spurscenter
06-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Reggie Theus took that job.

As unwilling as Brown is to settle down, he knows the game like the back of his hand. He'd be an excellent 'other voice' on the bench for Pop.

What would make sense though is that Pop promotes Budenholzer to top assistant if PJ leaves.

Marcus, we think alike. lol

Bud deserves some national recognition. But we still need that veteran coach next to POp.

Hank EGAN , Carlismo, etc.

Pop needs no one really but any asst to come in if PJ leaves but LB would be great addition to an amazing coaching staff.

SenorSpur
06-20-2007, 09:49 AM
LB would never take an assistant position in this league - NEVER. His ego would not allow him to do so - not even for his close buddy Pop.

fatsack
06-20-2007, 09:51 AM
What about Larry assisting Pop for a year or so. ?

http://www.nba.com/media/encyclopedia/LarryPop_220_060430.jpg

1. Larry had his chance. Hell No.
2. Why is he touching the Championship Trophy? He didn't win it, didn't earn it, and certainly doesn't deserve to touch it.

michaelwcho
06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Larry Brown is one of the most visibly shitty people in the league. Why would you want that cancer back here? I bet he could irreparably shred our chemistry in a year or two, even as an assistant. What a horrible idea. And of course, he would never consent to be an asst. anyway.

MrChug
06-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Why is anyone even answering this thread?? Are you THAT bored???

:dont

bigfan
06-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Larry Brown is a grade A asshole who walked out on the Pistons. He may be a decent coach but we dont need him as a caoch, assistant or towel boy.

Gros Membres!
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Larry Brown will never take an assistant coach job. If he does it will be the first time you hear about an assistant coach getting a max deal worth shittons of millions.
+1
Ridiculous idea. Pop just needs people who can run the stopwatch during TOs.

Big P
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
How about Jeff Van Gundy?

Referee
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Thank you Ahhhnold...

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7279/threadsuckshb9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/5006/sports01oc8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Referee
06-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Van Grumpy $UCK$ :fro

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I do!!! He is one of the top 10 bball coaches EVER!

So what? How much good did that do him in Detroit? New York? He's an egomaniac. He's basically the Kobe Bryant of the coaching community. Yeah, he's good, but he's got a ton of baggage and in the end it's all about 'me', not the team.

cherylsteele
06-20-2007, 12:58 PM
That was the first name that came to my mind when I saw this thread.

cherylsteele
06-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Van Grumpy $UCK$ :fro

What makes you say JVG sucks....or are you just spewing without anything to really back it up?

BigBeezie
06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Nah, if PJ leaves then I want Mario Ellie to come be Pop's assistant. AJ would have been my first choice...but you know the rest.

itzsoweezee
06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
don't need him, he's a cancer.

BeerIsGood!
06-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Anyone who wants Larry Brown to coach with the Spurs must not have been a Spurs fan or is too young to remember watching when Brown was the coach. He insulted the city of SA and basically failed to mask his contempt for the place.

Ocotillo
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I think it was Pop, but someone in the Spurs front office made a comment that they always have lists (R.C. does) of who they would be interested in to replace personnel. I wonder who is on the list to replace P.J. and maybe even Don Newman if he should go with P.J.

I like Van Gundy a lot but I don't think he brings anything to the Spurs that they need in that role. He is a defense first guy like Pop and my hope is they have some sort of offensive guru in mind.

Larry Brown will take an assistant coaching job the day I posterize Tim Duncan and believe me, there is no chance of that.

thousandth
06-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I think it was Pop, but someone in the Spurs front office made a comment that they always have lists (R.C. does) of who they would be interested in to replace personnel. I wonder who is on the list to replace P.J. and maybe even Don Newman if he should go with P.J.

I like Van Gundy a lot but I don't think he brings anything to the Spurs that they need in that role. He is a defense first guy like Pop and my hope is they have some sort of offensive guru in mind.

Larry Brown will take an assistant coaching job the day I posterize Tim Duncan and believe me, there is no chance of that.

I agree. "offensive guru in mind" :lol

Brutalis
06-20-2007, 04:52 PM
LB is a sack of shit and an overrated coach.

Money316
06-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Since is thread is akin to fantasy football, I 'll go with Argentina head coach Eduardo Pinto.

http://images.beijing-2008.org/20070530/Img214083472.jpg

:fro

Money316
06-20-2007, 05:59 PM
While we're on the subject...

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/agonzales2021/fingerboyfinal.jpg

spurscenter
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM

good, but he wont take assistant job any where

the only reason I bring up Larry is because they have a relationship, pop and him

larry or jeff would never take assistant jobs.

Steve-O-Matic
06-21-2007, 01:25 AM
I'd like to see us poach Alvin Gentry from the Suns' staff if we could.

T Park
06-21-2007, 01:27 AM
fuck alvin gentry.

Eric Musselman please.

spurscenter
06-21-2007, 01:36 AM
Alvin gentry is cancer like George Karl .

U know who else is good...The head coach of Argentina if we bring in Scola. That would be three ARGENTINA players. lol

spurscenter
06-21-2007, 04:49 AM
It appears San Antonio Spurs' assistant P.J. Carlesimo is the front-runner for the Seattle SuperSonics' job. Carlesimo was to meet with team officials Tuesday, though former Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey and ex-Pacers coach Rick Carlisle are also expected to interview this week.

Source: The News Tribune

well if brian hill can take an assistant job, thats surprising.

Brian Hill considering return to Nets

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 1:26 pm EDT
Brian Hill

Getty Images

Former Orlando coach Brian Hill, who was fired last month with another year and $3 million left on his contract, is leaning toward a quick return to the NBA this season as an assistant with the New Jersey Nets.

Nets Coach Lawrence Frank was hired by Hill as an assistant with the Vancouver Grizzlies in 1997. When Frank became a head coach for the first time midway through the 2003-04 season with the Nets, he quickly hired Hill to assist him.

Source: Orlando Sentinel