PDA

View Full Version : Bus Rapid Transit

spurschick
06-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Does anyone have a Bus Rapid Transit system in their city or country? If so, have you used it? Do you know of anyone else who uses it? Likes? Dislikes?

Lebowski Brickowski
06-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Cap Metro in Austin rocks. 17$ for 31 days of Express service from Cedar Park (where I live) to downtown (where I work) 22 miles each way -- 50 minute trip -- same as in my car -- WiFI access on the bus. Take a nap, read a book rock out on music etc.....

I save about 150$ a month in gas.

Bob Lanier
06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd rather take the metro system.

bendmz
06-20-2007, 04:24 PM
VIA VIA............. :lol

Buddy Holly
06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Cap Metro in Austin rocks. 17$ for 31 days of Express service from Cedar Park (where I live) to downtown (where I work) 22 miles each way -- 50 minute trip -- same as in my car -- WiFI access on the bus. Take a nap, read a book rock out on music etc.....

I save about 150$ a month in gas.

That's not BRT.

VIA has Express bus lines as well, Stone Oak to downtown.

BRT is completely different.

Buddy Holly
06-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Here is VIA's BRT bus:

http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07254/viabrt.PNG

baseline bum
06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
They suck in LA. They're the MTA's answer for dragging their asses for so long on rail, when the city desperately needs it.

Can you believe a city the size of Los Angeles has five lousy rail lines? One from North Hollywood through Hollywood to Downtown. One from Pasadena to downtown. One from Long Beach through South Central to Downtown. One from Downtown to Korea town (wow, a whole 7 miles or so maybe). Finally, one from Norwalk to LAX to Redondo Beach. Nothing to the whole west side of town. Nothing on the entire east side. To go anywhere in town on them requires going downtown first.

Hence, buses that clog the city streets even further, when driving in this city is such a nightmare. These 60-foot buses go and block off whole intersections in rush hour. Today I saw two of the them side by side block off the entire intersection of Hill and 5th in the middle of rush hour, leaving huge lines of cars waiting in green lights and then having the intersection blocked again when the light turned red.