PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with this President?

clambake
06-20-2007, 01:21 PM
REUTERS

By Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON, June 20 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush on Wednesday vetoed legislation to expand federally funded embryonic stem cell research, triggering an uphill battle in the Democratic-led Congress to override him.

Two-thirds majority votes would be needed in the Senate and House of Representatives to overcome Bush's opposition and make the bill law, and backers conceded they are short of support.

In addition to vetoing such legislation for the second time in two years, Bush issued an executive order to encourage scientists to work with the federal government to derive new methods to obtain stem cells without harming human embryos.

Critics called the presidential order a sham and said he should have signed into law the stem-cell bill, which polls show is backed by more than 60 percent of American voters who see the measure as a way combat a host of illnesses.

"President Bush isn't fooling anyone with this executive order; and the fact that it doesn't change the policy adds insult to injury for the millions of patients who suffer every day," said Sean Tipton of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research, a nonpartisan advocacy group that represents more than 100 patient and scientific organizations.

The president and other critics condemn the legislation as morally offensive because it would lead to destruction of human embryos to derive stem cells.

What is this guy's fucking problem? I think he could benefit from this, himself.

Goliadnative
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Maybe the funding should be directed toward adult stem cell research. (http://www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/treatments.htm)

mullet
06-20-2007, 01:57 PM
maybe ya goddamned librals should stop killin babies

xrayzebra
06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Well just maybe everyone should step back and look at the
real question. Nothing stops anyone from using embryonic stem cell research. Just using "federal money". H e l l o. Is anyone
listening....M O N E Y......yours and mine. They want to do their
thing. Get after it, with your own buck. Not ours. And you are
upset. I'm not.

boutons_
06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
"librals should stop killin babies"

Maybe you should tell us how many red-state, Repug babies are aborted every year out of the 1 million abortions?

clambake
06-20-2007, 02:32 PM
real question. Nothing stops anyone from using embryonic stem cell research. Just using "federal money". H e l l o. Is anyone
upset. I'm not.
Set forth a bill that would require HMO's to foot the bill. Look at it as payback for claim denials. Punish them for the pyramid they've built. Make them meet a timeline. If they fail, the penalty is to reimburse the consumer, a stiff %. Ban all HMO and pharmaceutical lobbyist and remove any politician found consorting with them.

SAtoDallas
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Adult stem cell research is a lot more promising and isn't morally wrong.

xrayzebra
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Set forth a bill that would require HMO's to foot the bill. Look at it as payback for claim denials. Punish them for the pyramid they've built. Make them meet a timeline. If they fail, the penalty is to reimburse the consumer, a stiff %. Ban all HMO and pharmaceutical lobbyist and remove any politician found consorting with them.

I am not sure you are being serious or sarcastic. But
if someone thinks they have a real reason to use these
stem cells and think they have a solution to any illness,
then let them tote the bill. I don't see many of the
pharmaceuticals jumping in there with the big bucks like
they do for other research. I don't see how HMO's even
come into the picture. Or their lobbysit.

clambake
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
The lobbyist don't want the research.

Thunder Dan
06-21-2007, 08:34 AM
upset. I'm not.

Man I wish that could be done for the war we can't afford. We have to take our giant loans from China to fix our own country (Katrina) while we just go into debt to "help" another. I can't figure it out

Yonivore
06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
one of the main benefits of embryonic stem cell research is that insights gleaned from embryonic stem cell research can be applied to non-embryonic stem cell research in the future

dubya is tying our scientists' hands behind their backs... (kind of like with the military-- !SURGE!)
There's no prohibition against stem cell research of any kind, including embryonic stem cell research.

If you're so convinced it's the way to go -- provide some venture capital to some research group.

All the president's veto did was prohibit the use of federal tax dollars in the research of embryonic stem cells. Period. Researchers are free to find other sources of funding to pursue the same line of research.

Yonivore
06-21-2007, 03:22 PM
so basically he's not stopping embryonic stem cell research, he's just being an ignorant dickhole?

got it
No, he's standing on a principle. His veto isn't a surprise to anyone. It's something he's stood up for since taking office. Were the votes on the bill 100% in favor? Is there even a 2/3rd's majority to override?

No.

Who's being ignorant? You're the one who thinks the President had denied embryonic stem cell research.

fyatuk
06-21-2007, 03:24 PM
He's a socially conservative person who thinks life begins at conception, and therefore killing an embryo is tantamount to murder.

Do you guys have a problem with the law stating that if something happens to an embryo when a crime is committed against the mother, it's actually 2 crimes? To W it's the same principle.

Also, it only prevents the use of embryo's in the research that is federally funded, we still have several lines of stem cells obtained from embryos that are still usable in research that can still receive funding (they are near the end of their shelf life though).

I disagree with W on this one, but it doesn't bother me that he did this because the funding that would be approved for it isn't all that much anyway. This isn't something that would have been getting multi-billions of federal grants, more like the $20 mil range until a true breakthrough was made. That's something easily made up by private doners.

Yonivore
06-21-2007, 03:26 PM
he's standing on his principles, but hasn't said anything about people who use fertility clinics, generating these extra embryos?
Has there been a bill cross his desk that would have affected that?

Yonivore
06-21-2007, 03:29 PM
he could bring it up while he's vetoing popular legislation
Why would he?

And, the bill isn't popular with me or many others.

clambake
06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
But I thought the gift from God (intelligent design) was given to be used. He gave us these tools of knowledge, right? Was God wrong? Did God make a mistake? Did we outsmart and surpass the Almighty? Or do we have people here that like to play God?