PDA

View Full Version : Austin crowd kills man after car hits kid

Spurminator
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3297932

A crowd attacked and killed a passenger in a vehicle that had struck and injured a child, police said Wednesday.

Police believe 2,000 to 3,000 people were in the area for a Juneteenth celebration when the attack occurred Tuesday night. The man who was killed had been trying to stop the group from attacking the vehicle's driver when the crowd turned on him, authorities said.

The Austin Police Department identified the victim as David Rivas Morales, 40. The child was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police spokeswoman Toni Chovonetz said she had no further information, including how many people were involved.

The driver was able to get away from the crowd and is cooperating with investigators, police said.

Juneteenth marks the day Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston in 1865 to share news of the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed slaves two years earlier on Jan. 1, 1863.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

leemajors
06-20-2007, 03:52 PM
disturbing, to say the least.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Keep Austin Weird!

Louie Vega
06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Stupid Austin motherfuckers!

tlongII
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Hook'em Horns!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2007, 05:41 PM
That's so fucked up, how is this not national news?

ChumpDumper
06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Damn, and right after the annual questionable-circumstance police shooting on the east side.

It's going to be a long, hot summer up here.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Police have been gunning down unarmed minorities in the back at least once a year since maybe even before I moved to Austin, and that was in 2002.

johngateswhiteley
06-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Hook'em Horns!

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2007, 07:10 PM
that's sad, but i can't stand austin.

Spurfect
06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
that's sickening. how can there be such a mob mentality in these days... ugh!

06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
That's so fucked up, how is this not national news?

'Cause it was during a Juneteenth celebration and didn't involve white folks?

/Window seat please

atxrocker
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
'Cause it was during a Juneteenth celebration and didn't involve white folks?

sums it up pretty well

midgetonadonkey
06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
that's sickening. how can there be such a mob mentality in these days... ugh!

Because no matter what we are still animals and mob mentality is instinctive.

Sapphire
06-20-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19332252/

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/20/crash.assault.ap/index.html

MSNBC and CNN both have it so it did make national news. Unfortunately, there must be other, more f'd up news today.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Midge's view of life tells me he was a fan of Lord of the Flies as a tyke.

Still though, thats fucked up. LOL at the hypothetical press coverage if whites had committed this act.

Sunshine
06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
i wonder if this will be charged as a hate crime.

just sayin'

Trainwreck2100
06-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I wonder if they will arrest the driver for hit and run since he left the scene.

atxrocker
06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
i wonder if this will be charged as a hate crime.

just sayin'

i doubt it but they did mention on the news just now that there are reports of some of the group that attacked telling nearby hispanics that they shouldn't be there and that it was "their" day.

easjer
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
OMG.

There just aren't words. . .

Nbadan
06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Juneteenth marks the day Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston in 1865 to share news of the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed slaves two years earlier on Jan. 1, 1863.

Two years later....

CubanMustGo
06-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Two years later....

What, did you expect the Confeds to tell anyone?

freedom&justice
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM
That's awful... :depressed

2Blonde
06-21-2007, 01:19 AM
I wonder if they will arrest the driver for hit and run since he left the scene.

I don't see how that's possible. All the articles state that the driver and the passenger stayed at the seen and tried to check on and help the little child. In fact when attempting to do this is when they were attacked by the crowd. The passenger was beaten to death and the driver only escaped with his life. He is totally cooperating with the police. I would be very surprised if his charges include hit and run. Maybe reckless driving or DUI if he was drinking or something. Who knows!?!?

johngateswhiteley
06-21-2007, 05:49 AM
in all seriousness, this story is insane. those people have lost their fucking mind. (i know i know) my other comments for the day....grass is green.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-21-2007, 06:16 AM
life in prison for these fuckers! Animals belong with animals

Jimcs50
06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't see how that's possible. All the articles state that the driver and the passenger stayed at the seen and tried to check on and help the little child. In fact when attempting to do this is when they were attacked by the crowd. The passenger was beaten to death and the driver only escaped with his life. He is totally cooperating with the police. I would be very surprised if his charges include hit and run. Maybe reckless driving or DUI if he was drinking or something. Who knows!?!?

FATAL BEATING IN AUSTIN
Crowd kills passenger of car that struck child
No arrests yet after Juneteenth festivities that took a tragic turn

By POLLY ROSS HUGHES
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

Man fatally beaten by crowd AUSTIN — A crowd of Juneteenth partyers outside an East Austin housing project turned violent with several beating a man to death after the car he was riding in apparently struck a small child.

A veteran police official said Wednesday that he never had seen such a "spontaneous" eruption of mob violence.

Witnesses reported that several males attacked David Rivas Morales, 40, who was riding home from a painting job with a co-worker his family knew only as "Victor."

A preliminary autopsy showed Morales — who stepped out of the vehicle to defend the driver from the angry crowd — died of blunt trauma, police said.

No arrests have been made.

Police declined to identify the toddler who was struck in the parking lot Tuesday night, but said he was not seriously injured.

Margaret Morales, the victim's sister, wiped away tears Wednesday as she sat on her stoop at the Booker T. Washington apartment complex, staring at the parking lot where her big brother died.

"He was bleeding really bad from the head. There was blood everywhere," she said.

Police said hundreds of revelers packed into the parking lot as 3,000 attending a city-sponsored Juneteenth festival a block away began dispersing.

"The whole parking lot was full of cars. The street was full of cars. It was really packed," the victim's sister said. "The whole celebration was going on, and my brother was being dropped off from work when this happened."

Juneteenth celebrates June 19, 1865, the day Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston with news of the Emancipation Proclamation, which had freed slaves two years earlier.

"It's sad for the city," said Commander Harold Piatt, who leads the Austin Police Department's homicide division.

Piatt, who said he'd worked the city's famed Sixth Street entertainment district for years, said he had never before seen such a "spontaneous" eruption of mob violence.

Morales is the 11th homicide victim in the state's capital city this year.

"I've been doing this for 28 years. This is the first time I can ever recall something like this," Piatt said, noting he knew of no one who tried to prevent the attack on Morales.

He attributed the crowd's reaction to the boy being struck, although he said he suspected alcohol might have played a role.

"It's not a hate crime," he said. "It's not racially motivated in any way. The assault has nothing to do with the (city-sponsored) Juneteenth celebration."

Driver cooperating
Piatt said police believe anywhere from two to six assailants attacked Morales, but detectives were continuing to sort through conflicting accounts of events.

About two dozen people were crowded directly around the vehicle that struck the boy, he said.

Police, who indicated no guns or knives were used in the assault, did not identify the driver, calling him a witness who is cooperating with the homicide investigation.

"It's unusual where you have what appears to be multiple assailants attacking and actually harming (the victim) to where it causes death," said Piatt.

"You get one or two people who lose control. If you've got a number of folks around, it could spread very quickly to the crowd," he said. "People do things they normally wouldn't do."

Taken off life support

Margaret Morales, the victim's sister, said she ran outside her apartment and into the crowded parking lot around

9 p.m. after a child alerted her to the attack on her brother.

"All I could see was my brother lying there," she said. "He was barely breathing. I believe he could hear my voice. Somebody just said some guys jumped him."

Margaret Morales said those remaining at the scene were screaming, asking why there was no ambulance.

"The ambulance took forever, about 30 minutes" she said.

The ambulance arrived in less than two minutes after being called but was ordered to wait near the scene until cleared by police, said Warren Hassinger, spokesman for the Austin-Travis County Emergency Services.

He said David Morales arrived at the hospital 35 minutes after emergency workers received the 911 call.

Margaret Morales said her mother, Mary, ordered life support removed at Brackenridge Hospital after medical staff told her that her son would not survive.

On Wednesday, the family began planning David Morales' burial, saying it would need donations to cover funeral costs, including a casket.

"He liked to watch football, basketball. He liked to hang out with his friends," Morales' sister said. "He was a real generous guy and loving person."

[email protected]

He was not driving recklessly, the kid was not even hurt bad. The parents were just not watching the kid well enough(in a parking lot with cars) like so many ignorant parents don't do, and the car hit him. I see this all the time when I go to places like Walmart, where ignorant lowlife dirtbags just let their kids walk way ahead of them or behind them in parking lots that are full of cars and trucks. I just want to go up to them and ask them why they even have kids, because it is obvious that they do not give a shit if they get run over or not. :bang Things like this set back interracial harmony back 10 years.

maxpower
06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Animals.

atxrocker
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
"It's not a hate crime," he said. "It's not racially motivated in any way. The assault has nothing to do with the (city-sponsored) Juneteenth celebration."

bull fucking shit it didn't, this thing wouldn't have happened had it not been for a group of drunken black low income losers celebrating juneteenth. don't try to say it had nothing to do with it. that's bullshit.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
What is juneteenth?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read Jims article :p:

BacktoBasics
06-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I Fucking Hate People.

medstudent
06-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Race War!!!!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Mexican Press Calls Killing a “Lynching”

By Jeremy Schwartz | Thursday, June 21, 2007, 08:32 AM

Tuesday’s killing of an Austin man after a Juneteenth celebration has struck a nerve in the Mexican press, with the Texas capital getting some ugly publicity. “Hispanic is Lynched in Texas” shouts a front page headline in this morning’s major Mexico City daily Reforma. On Tuesday night, David Rivas Morales was killed by a group of people after the car he was riding in struck and injured a child near where a crowd was celebrating the 1865 emancipation of slaves in Texas. In the El Universal newspaper the story landed on page A7 with the headline: “Angry mob beats a Hispanic to death in Austin.” Coincidentally, the story ran next to an Aeromexico advertisement for $319 roundtrip tickets from Mexico City to Austin. A story in La Jornada, the leading liberal daily, also called the killing a lynching and explored racial themes: “The attack could also have had a racial motivation given the Hispanic origen of the victim and his attackers, who are suspected of being largely, or completely, African-American.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/mexico/entries/2007/06/21/_tuesdays_killing_of_an.html

Spurminator
06-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Fantastic.

dougp
06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
All 12 "supposed" people should be arrested. If they didn't kill him, then they should be tried as an accessory, for standing around and doing nothing.

Flea
06-21-2007, 01:00 PM
It's about to get real ugly.

Kermit
06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
that's why i live west of i-35.

Spurminator
06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Yep.

This story has ALL the makings.

FreeMad Dan
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
What's sad is that wasn't all that happened. A mob started attacking another guys car in a diffrent location (still Austin though) then pulled him out and started laying the smack down on him too. The police were in the area with riot gear and were able to save him though but he got kicked in the face a few times.

What is wrong with people? :madrun

Flea
06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
What's sad is that wasn't all that happened. A mob started attacking another guys car in a diffrent location (still Austin though) then pulled him out and started laying the smack down on him too. The police were in the area with riot gear and were able to save him though but he got kicked in the face a few times.

What is wrong with people? :madrun

:wtf

FreeMad Dan
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
:wtf

My bad I got confused when i watched the news. The guy that got beat was in Milwaukee not Austin, but it was at a Juneteenth festival. They just lumped both stories into one. But I found an article about it on MSNBC.com http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19352067/

Tek_XX
06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow i'm surprised these people don't have jobs.

FreeMad Dan
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow i'm surprised these people don't have jobs.

Not me. Prolly the same assholes that busted the window out of my truck and stole my stereo a cpl weeks ago. BITCHES!!! :devil

THE ONE AND ONLY
06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
There are a lot of careless and stupid people that drive way too fast through parking lots and apartment complexes. The driver never should have hit the kid in the first place.

johngateswhiteley
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
i love Montana.

AlamoSpursFan
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Why the hell would they have a Juneteenth festival in Milwaukee???

AlamoSpursFan
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM
And another thing. With all of this race card crap, (and I'm not disputing that it had anything to do with it, in fact it sounds like race had EVERYTHING to do with it), why isn't anyone talking about the fact that David Morales could be seen as a HERO in all of this.

It sounds to me like the catalyst for this incident was a very unfortunate accident, which the driver handled correctly and the mob responded to incorrectly. Morales did what I dare say most people would NOT. He stood up for his friend against a hopeless situation. I, for one, would like to stand up and offer up something proper to the memory of David Morales.

R.I.P.

lebomb
06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I think its horrible as to what happened.....those people are idiots.

I just hope Morales and his buddy werent irritated with the celebration and tried to force their way into the parking lot.....causing the injury and infuriating the crowd. Until we hear all the facts, judgement shouldnt be layed down IMHO. What if Morales and the friend were DUI???? Anyone think of that?

Anyhow, the mob attack was still WRONG and F'D up.

Oh by the way.....Im black and my wife is hispanic......... there is no race war in my house.

AlamoSpursFan
06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
From what I heard, they were returning home from work. Which doesn't rule out DUI, but it sounds to me like the crowd could have just as easily been the intoxicated participants in this tragedy.

dougp
06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm agreeing with ASF on this one - this was the crowd's fault, at first glance. They checked on the boy WHO WAS FINE AT THE SCENE. They had NO RIGHT to beat this person, WETHER the driver was drunk or not. And they shouldn't have been mobbing in a parking lot either, don't give a shit what kind of celebration it is ... your life is in your own hands when a motor vehicle is involved.

thispego
06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
i dont know, this whole mess just isn't surprising to me at all. sounds pretty typical. The only difference is that someone died.

atxrocker
06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
so now everybody thinks that they were drunk because they were latino? it's reported they were coming home from work, assholes. it's a possibility, but if it were a couple of white guys, everybody wouldn't be jumping on the "they were wasted" bandwagon. jesus christ.

There are a lot of careless and stupid people that drive way too fast through parking lots and apartment complexes. The driver never should have hit the kid in the first place.

i agree. but what the fuck was the kid doing in the middle of the street in the evening time to begin with? glad the kid wasn't seriously hurt, but you'd think the parents would have been proactive to and made sure that their kids were in safe areas especially if others were celebrating and drinking and such. the street at night when people are drinking in the projects to boot, is the last place you think you'd want your kids to be.

atxrocker
06-21-2007, 06:02 PM
reports say it took a 13 minute EMS response after the first 911 call. un-fucking-acceptable

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah the article in the Dallas Morning News had the phrase "racial tensions" in the headline.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Which is why I hang out in large groups of one.

Sounds like mookie and pego wont be going to get barbeque in mideast austin anymo'.

JerrySeinfeld
06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
A crowd attacked and killed a passenger in a vehicle that had struck and injured a child, police said Wednesday.

that's a shame...:wakeup

maxpower
06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
reports say it took a 13 minute EMS response after the first 911 call. un-fucking-acceptable

supposedly because the cops were busy trying to break up the mob they did not allow ems through.

You know it is sad that these things don't surprise me anymore.