PDA

View Full Version : History buffs?

Rummpd
12-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Isn't it nice to be argueing or even comtemplating the awesome reality of Spurs, usually a slow starting team, about a 14 and 3 record? I have a feeling that its been a while in the league since 3 teams were a combined 40 and 12. Sort of like NFL situation with three teams at 10 and 1 and one at 9 and 2.

Assuming Spurs 15 and 3 s/p tonight = is this their best start ever? - I know they had a good one a few years back and then at least one real good start in 80s.

Also, how does this compare to either the Lakers fast start last year or the Mavs a couple of years ago?

Finally, what is NBA record for most at home regular season wins in a row? Spurs at I believe 20 and I believe record must be at least 35 - could Spurs beat it? What is best season home record ever in 82 game season for Spurs and anyone (Bulls must have had a great record 73 win year and I believe Lakers only lost 4 at home one year) What are upcoming "scary games at home".

Season long, I am predicting Spurs home record of 34 wins, anyone think they can go higher?

MadDoc

T Park
12-04-2004, 08:23 PM
I dont know the answers but

the Mavericks in 02 03 started 14-0.

Spurs have won 21 in a row.

Scary games at home

Seattle, Minnesota

jalbre6
12-04-2004, 08:25 PM
hey Doc,

The Celtics went almost an entire season without losing at home in '86...a loss to Portland put them 40-1. Dallas won 14 straight in '02 to open the year, and were like 17-1 or 18-1 at one point.

It's apples and oranges. The year the Mavs won all those games, the Spurs caught up to them and won the division. We should just be thankful for the fast start and hope it to continue throughout the year. A 14-3 start equals a 67-15 record.

Rummpd
12-04-2004, 09:05 PM
63 wins, Pop will rest starters too much s/p locking up one seed in league.

MadDoc

Brodels
12-04-2004, 09:55 PM
63 wins, Pop will rest starters too much s/p locking up one seed in league.

MadDoc

A fast start is good, but past history shows that the fastest-starting teams don't often win the championship.

Injuries and complacency could set in yet. I'll get excited if they are still playing great basketball in March and April.

The good thing about SPAM is that the Spurs always peak at the right time.

It's not usually good for a team to peak too early. And that thought raises a question: how much better can the Spurs get? Can the get better such that they can continue to improve throughout the season without taking steps back?

The fast start is a completely new phenomenon for the Spurs. We don't really know how it's going to turn out yet.

Rummpd
12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Expect March and April excitement and nice comments above but they have had at least 2 other real fast starts but not with this squad.

Best thing many games is big lead = playing time for bench and Tim, Manu etc. get some rest for playoffs.

MadDoc

Solid D
12-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Best start ever.

Rummpd
12-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Check that! especially figuring we have beat defending champs, 10 games on road, cruise control on back to back nights, thumped Lakers, trounced _allas x 2, beat Jazz, Grizz and various pretenders etc.

Suns Sonics in for a rude awakeing near future. Spurs for real.

MadDoc