PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry = Steve Smith???

T Park
12-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Thats the way its freakin looking.

ducks
12-04-2004, 09:12 PM
barry does more out there

E20
12-04-2004, 09:15 PM
WTH is Rasho doing grabbing those rebounds away from Duncan.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-04-2004, 09:15 PM
yeah why did he play 5 friking minutes?

RobinsontoDuncan
12-04-2004, 09:16 PM
that was so bizare to me considering how awesome he has been when he does play

T Park
12-04-2004, 09:16 PM
????

ducks
12-04-2004, 09:19 PM
barry has played 7 minutes

E20
12-04-2004, 09:30 PM
What if Brent Barry turns into Hedo.

Rummpd
12-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Barry will be there when it counts and not be a TURKAWAYFADEAWAYSOFTAWAY

MadDoc

conversekid
12-04-2004, 09:33 PM
His passing, court vision, and Bball IQ make him 10x better than hedon't - even if he never gets his touch back... which he will...

Spurminator
12-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Steve Smith was great in December.

E20
12-04-2004, 09:45 PM
You never know.

Brodels
12-04-2004, 09:51 PM
He's not playing well right now, but we know that he's capable of playing well. And even when it isn't all clicking for him, he can still pass the ball and he's a smart basketball player. I think he'll be fine.

Barry will be there when it counts and not be a TURKAWAYFADEAWAYSOFTAWAY

I think he's a solid player, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. He hasn't played in a ton of playoff games (13), but when he has, he has struggled. His numbers go down in the playoffs across the board. And remember the Spurs-Sonics series? He was awful in that series. He couldn't hit even the most open looks.

He'll probably be fine, but don't assume that he's a big-game player. Signs point to him not being a big-game player, and while I'm willing to give him another chance and wait and see what he can do as a Spur, it's hard to imagine that he's going to become a big-game player in the twilight of his career.

T Park
12-04-2004, 09:57 PM
He was awful in that series

Its called Bruce Bowen.

Ignore what he did in Seattle.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Tell you what, right now the best outside shooter on the team is Beno.

If Barry doesn't pick it up, I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes of Parker and Beno in there together.

Brodels
12-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Its called Bruce Bowen.

Ignore what he did in Seattle.

Um, he played five years in Seattle, including his most productive years. It's ignorant to ignore what he did for the majority of his career.

Bruce defended Barry some, but if I remember correctly, Bruce spent a good deal of time on Rashard, too. Barry wasn't shut down by Bowen. Barry missed just about every open shot that came his way in that series.

Besides, he's played in 13 playoff games. That particular series was a five-game series.

I know you have a love affair with every Spurs and think that at least ten Spurs should be all-stars, but the fact is that Barry is a proven poor playoff performer. Could that change? It's possible. But don't be shocked if it happens again. You can't ignore his past performances, especially those that came during his best years.

The jury is still out on Barry.

Brodels
12-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Tell you what, right now the best outside shooter on the team is Beno.

If Barry doesn't pick it up, I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes of Parker and Beno in there together.

I agree.

T Park
12-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Sorry for defending Barry,

Ill remember to put him and more Spurs down from now on. No problems Brodels.

ducks
12-04-2004, 10:23 PM
if spur players suck no need to defend them
you do not have to be a homer

T Park
12-04-2004, 10:26 PM
sorry I choose to defend my guys.

No one in the media, and some on here wont.

Thats for DAMN sure.

Dont like that Im a homer?? Tough.

ducks
12-04-2004, 10:54 PM
look you can defend him if he is not sucking and you can debate with the person who says they suck(if they are going to the extreme the other way)

there is a balance

I defend spur players but I also admit when they suck

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2004, 10:54 PM
I agree with 'Sug.

However, I think Barry's just pressing right now, trying to fit in and live up to his reputation as the hired gun.

He may need a while to play out the nervous energy he's got, but I'm confident he'll come around.

How many points will we beat people by when he does find his stroke? 50?

Manu20
12-04-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm not worry about Barry his shot would start falling.

If Brown keeps playing the way he has this last few games Barry is going to have to fight for those backup minutes.

Guru of Nothing
12-04-2004, 11:20 PM
the fact is that Barry is a proven poor playoff performer. Could that change? It's possible. But don't be shocked if it happens again. You can't ignore his past performances, especially those that came during his best years.

The jury is still out on Barry.

Yeah, and Horry has proven his mettle in the playoffs. Big deal.

Barry has skills, period.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Between Brown and Beno you have about every aspect of Barry's game covered.

I repeat, Barry better pick it up if those two continue to play well. He shouldn't get minutes just because he's got the contract.

Brodels
12-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Sorry for defending Barry,

Ill remember to put him and more Spurs down from now on. No problems Brodels.

There is a difference between acknowledging that a player isn't at a certain skill level and putting them down. I'm not putting Barry down, and neither should you.

That having been said, a realistic look at your team's weaknesses would certainly make you a more knowledgeable fan.

Instead of making up things in my head that convince me that every Spur is going to excel in situations where they haven't excelled before, I choose to look at their weaknesses. I feel that Barry could play well in big spots. But it's very possible that he won't because he hasn't in the past.

I'm not putting down Barry, and nobody is asking you to.

ALVAREZ6
12-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Between Brown and Beno you have about every aspect of Barry's game covered.

I repeat, Barry better pick it up if those two continue to play well. He shouldn't get minutes just because he's got the contract.

word

TMTTRIO
12-05-2004, 12:23 AM
I was listening to the after game show and they suggested starting Barry for a few games to improve his game. I really don't think it's that necessary to go that far. He's still at least doing all the other things on court. Plus we saw the end result of how that little experiment went last season.

T Park
12-05-2004, 12:25 AM
did they really say that

if Pop did that, I would call for him to be fired.

TMTTRIO
12-05-2004, 12:30 AM
they did suggest it.

whottt
12-05-2004, 12:54 AM
All I know is that when we have needed Barry's shot to be there this year it has been there...In the Boston game he sucked and when things got tight he hit two midrange J's...and last night he hit the two biggest FT's of the season..

IF he doesn't hit those two FT's in which he was ice cold, the whole complexion of that game changes and we probably lose it....we lost a half dozen games like that last season...

So compare Barry to Smitty if you like...but I gurantee you no one was wanting to go up to the FT line last night...and if they had we probably lose that game.

I just hope this doesn't become mental...

It's a catch 22 now..Pop really can't give him minutes while he is shooting that poorly...yet he probably needs the shots to fix his game...

Either way..Barry has passed the few tests he has been given this season...his shot has been more clutch than anything else.

Hey, it's not easy tryng to be Steve Kerr, the greatest 3 shooter ever....