PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Zabian Dowdell

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2007/zabian_dowdell.jpg

Full Name: Zabian Dowdell
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-3 / 200
Birthdate: September 10, 1984 (Pahokee Fla.)
High School: Pahokee HS (Pahokee, Fla.)
College: Virginia Tech

nbadraft.net profile (http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/zabiandowdell.html)
nba.com profile (http://www.nba.com/draft2007/profiles/ZabianDowdell.html)
draftexpress.com profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=472)

AFBlue
06-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Being brought in for his second workout. It looks like might snag him with one of the two first picks...

Kori Ellis
06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Some people think he isn't going to go until the 32-36 range, so I wonder if the Spurs would take him at 28. He's 6'1.5 with no shoes but he has a 6-10 wingspan and an 8-4 reach. :wow

ThomasGranger
06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
The June 4 scouting report from Draft Express makes him sound like the perfect fit to come off the bench for TP or maybe spend some time at the 2 if the Spurs go small.

Dowdell possesses all the characteristics one looks for in a backup point guard and/or an NBA role player, and his strong build and wingspan will allow him to play well alongside undersized shooting guards, something many teams have coming off the bench playing major minutes. Dowdell’s long arms and excellent defensive fundamentals will allow him to defend most NBA shooting guards adequately, especially back-ups, who he shouldn’t have any problem with. The only thing there really is to dislike about Dowdell is that he isn’t the kind of player who is going to take over a game, and he’s probably never going to be a great scorer or a great distributor, just doing everything adequately well on the offensive end, while providing great defense on the other end of the floor

Steve-O-Matic
06-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Oddly enough, NBADraft.net doesn't even have Dowdell being drafted.

ThomasGranger
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
If he doesn't get picked up in the first he will probably be there for the Spurs at 33 since I don't see Boston or the Sixers in big need of a backup PG. Tricky thing is, the Suns or Sonics may pick him up in the first if the Spurs don't.

I really think he is the best fit for the Spurs out of the PG's that will probably be available, but do they chance missing out on that coveted long SF to make sure they get him?

Mr. Body
06-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking the Spurs are looking for their back-up point at #33. I don't know what their plans are with the #28, but that may be it.

Darkwaters
06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
With all the talk about Gabe Pruitt possibly being drafted by the Spurs I really think I like this guy better. Hes a solid citizen, hard worker, defensive minded player. He can make open shots and run a defense. If hes not there at 33 then so be it. But I think we need to go for either a draft and stash or a wing at 28 and live with what we can get in the second round. And Zabian would be a very solid pick.

All I know is that:

Zabian Dowdell>>>>>>>Damir Markota

Man Mountain
06-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Just Pick Me Already: Zabian Dowdell

This is an INSANE time of year for those players hoping to be picked in the NBA draft. The logistics alone are pretty bad: most are running from city to city trying to put on the basketball show of their lives in private team workouts, while spending hours and hours stuck on crazy flights and in strange hotels. Normal patterns of eating and sleeping are abandoned entirely. On top of all that, they're about to become millionaires. Or not -- if they mess up these workouts. And they're about to move somewhere, to some city, where they will take orders from coaches they are in most cases just meeting for the first time now. Through all the stress, pressures, and miles, the players are supposed to be majestic, undaunted, and charming. It's exciting, it's bizarre, and it's weird. Starting now, and through the draft, TrueHoop will be following the emotional experience -- with repeated interviews -- of a handful of draft hopefuls. We're calling it "Just Pick Me Already."

First up: Virginia Tech guard Zabian Dowdell.

Zabian Dowdell has always had the kind of talent (a good profile) that made him a candidate for the NBA. But he has distinguished himself in NBA circles for his character. For instance, when tragedy struck at Virginia Tech. Almost instantly he pledged $5,000 to help those struck by the tragedy. He didn't grow up with a lot of money in South Florida, but he also didn't care. He did what needed to be done.

His pre-draft training was with my friend (and ESPN expert) David Thorpe at the IMG Academy in Florida. David and I often chat about his players, and before Dowdell started jetting all over the country, when he was in the gym every day, Thorpe just kept having better and better things to say about him -- he has amazing reach for a guy his size, his basketball IQ is very high, he works extremely hard, he's a dream to coach -- the praise just kept coming. I was intrigued.

So, it appears, are the San Antonio Spurs. Dowdell is, by all indications, a candidate to join the world champs with their 28th pick. (In ESPN Insider Chad Ford's latest mock draft, Dowdell is mentioned as a possibility to go to the Spurs, but is predicted to be going a few picks later.)

Today Dowdell is on his way back to San Antonio for his second visit, and says he'd be happy to adorn a Spurs cap on draft night. Not only are they the champions, but they also potentially have some minutes for a young point guard. We spoke late yesterday.

Where are you?
I just got done working out in Portland, and I'm sleeping here tonight and then tomorrow I head to San Antonio.

How did it go?
It was good. In Portland I got a chance to sit down with the coach and he gave me some positive feedback. He said he liked what he saw and explained how the team might use some of their second round draft picks. He didn't make me any promises, but he gave me some insight into what they might do.

Must kind of tear you up, not knowing what's going to happen with your life.
You know how it is. I can understand why teams don't want to tell everyone what they're going to do. They don't want to give any indication. My agent tries to get feedback and a lot of times you can't hear anything. That's a good thing and it's a bad thing. I wouldn't want to hear a promise now. It's so early in the process. If someone made me a promise now, I wouldn't believe it.

Seems like San Antonio is pretty interested, though.
This my second time, going back. I guess they wouldn't do that if they didn't see something they liked. It's a great situation. I like the system. And now this second visit is a chance to meet some more people and hopefully impress Coach Pop and the staff. You can see the quality, though. Anyone who has ever seen the Spurs play knows they're a good team.

Is that your first pick?
I just want to get drafted.

You're in Portland. You have been living in Virginia, then trained in Florida, where you grew up. Now you're headed to San Antonio ...
I feel like a nomad, man. But you know what? A lot of people don't get this opportunity. I'll take it. I talked to some players who have been on two or three workouts. I think this will be my eighth. I'm grateful for the opportunity. And I still have two more left.

Is it every day?
Yesterday at Golden State and today in Portland was my first time going back to back. But sometimes that's better, just to be out on the court, instead of stuck in the hotel room thinking about it and waiting.

Where was your toughest workout?
Probably New Orleans. They had us do a lot of stuff before we even got on the court. All kinds of testing. Pushups for a minute, 40 yard dash, 20 yard dash, and a lot of other stuff.

Is there some drill that you really hope will come up because you know you are good at it?
I'm a perfectionist. I try to be perfect at every drill.

You working out against the same guys again and again?
Oh man, if I see D.J. Strawberry or Jared Jordan again I dont know what I'll do. I have worked against those guys four times, I think.

You follow all those mock drafts?
My family does that more than me. At this point, it would be too crazy for me to get caught up in all that. It might affect my performance.

When you fall asleep at night, do you just kind of wish that it would be two weeks from now and you could know what will happen with your life?
It feels like a long process, but I'm OK with it. All I can do is just go out and try my hardest to impress some coach or GM or someone. Then we'll see what happens.

Talk to you again soon.
Take it easy.

Man Mountain
06-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Zabian Dowdell, Virginia Tech – If there is an NBA ready point guard in the 2007 draft class, its Zabian. Several NBA teams are in love with his mature approach, and his pure play-maker mentality. In the era of the shoot-first point guard, Zabian is more of a throw back play maker. One former NBA executive who is now scouting for a Western Conference team, said Dowdell likely has the biggest upside of any guard in the class, considering his club holds more than a few draft picks, don't be surprised to see Zabian tapped by a playoff team in the later part of the first round.

Hey that could be us :)

The more I read about Zabian the more I like him. He's like a bigger Jacque Vaughn who can defend better and isn't a total nightmare on offense. At #28 or 33 I would be stoked if we can get him.

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Dowdell at #33 sounds very promising. I haven't heard that any other team is as big on him as the Spurs.

That would be the question of what the Spurs do at #28...which international player do they go with? Because they can't go domestic right?

timvp
06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are picking between Dowdell and Pruitt. I think both can be quality guards, although I'm leaning toward Dowdell for the Spurs because his defense should be able to help right away.

FromWayDowntown
06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are picking between Dowdell and Pruitt. I think both can be quality guards, although I'm leaning toward Dowdell for the Spurs because his defense should be able to help right away.

Some mocks have Pruitt moving up the board a bit and suggesting that he'll be long gone by the time #28 rolls around. I'm sure that the Spurs are trying to assess whether its worthwhile to move up to try to snag Pruitt, or whether they might be satisfied by staying at #28 and hoping that Dowdell is still there for them.

Darkwaters
06-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Some mocks have Pruitt moving up the board a bit and suggesting that he'll be long gone by the time #28 rolls around. I'm sure that the Spurs are trying to assess whether its worthwhile to move up to try to snag Pruitt, or whether they might be satisfied by staying at #28 and hoping that Dowdell is still there for them.

Some mocks have Pruitt slipping into the early second round allowing us to scoop him up at 33. I think the team is going to take whichever PG is there at that second pick. Dowdell almost assuredly will, but there is a chance that Pruitt will be there too.

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree with timvp that the Spurs are likely deciding between Pruitt and Dowdell if they go for a domestic PG. IMO, if the Spurs go Dowdell they'll likely pick a foreigner at #28 and hope Zabian is there at #33....not sure he gets first round love.

I also think the case is different for Pruitt, whom I think the Spurs would consider at #28 if he's there and then go international at #33.

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 04:22 PM
From TrueHoop, Henry Abbott's blog.

Link. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-25-96/Just-Pick-Me-Already--Zabian-Dowdell--Take-2.html?post=true)

This is an INSANE time of year for those players hoping to be picked in the NBA draft. The logistics alone are pretty bad: most are running from city to city trying to put on the basketball show of their lives in private team workouts, while spending hours and hours stuck on crazy flights and in strange hotels. Normal patterns of eating and sleeping are abandoned entirely. On top of all that, they're about to become millionaires. Or not -- if they mess up these workouts. And they're about to move somewhere, to some city, where they will take orders from coaches they are in most cases just meeting for the first time now. Through all the stress, pressures, and miles, the players are supposed to be majestic, undaunted, and charming. It's exciting, it's bizarre, and it's weird. Starting now, and through the draft, TrueHoop will be following the emotional experience -- with repeated interviews -- of a handful of draft hopefuls. We're calling it "Just Pick Me Already."

We heard from Virginia Tech guard Zabian Dowdell a few days ago, when he was on his way to a second workout in San Antonio amid much optimism. I caught up with him again late yesterday, as he was leaving the workout.

How did it go in San Antonio?
It went pretty good. There were five guys there. We did some shooting, some one-on-ones.

Were D.J. Strawberry and Jared Jordan there again?
No, no D.J. and Jared this time. It was Jamal Tatum, Mustafa Shakur, Ramon Sessions, and Petteri Koponen.

How did Koponen look?
He looks pretty good. This was a pretty good group to go against.

Did you get any sense of what the team thought about the workout?
No, they didn't tell me much. No real dialogue from the team. They took us out to a pretty lunch in a pretty good restaurant and said thanks for coming.

Who runs these workouts?
The first time I was in San Antonio it was a scout. This time it was an assistant coach, but lots of people were involved. The GM was directing part of it. It's not just one guy.

Where to next?
Dallas tomorrow, and then if nothing else pops up I'll go back to IMG until the 27th, when I'll go and see my family for draft night.

Any thought of going to New York for the draft?
I haven't heard anything about being invited to New York, but it would be nice!

Did you get to see San Antonio at all?
I got in kind of late. No chance to really sightsee. But I'm used to that -- that's how it goes in almost every city.

What do you do with all the time like right now, when you are in airports and hotels?
I use that time to try to catch up with family and friends, people I haven't had much of a chance to talk to. I try to get my mind off the draft, but a lot of times they remind me of it.

I guess I'm not helping.
It's no biggie. I talk to my girl, and we talk about everything except the draft. Then, I guess it comes up sometimes anyway. That's the hardest part. You don't know where you're going to live. All I can do is go and work out and and assume it will work out.

Where is all your stuff? You packed up in Virginia I guess, and you have been based in two different parts of Florida.
I have an uncle who lives near Blacksburg in Virginia. He went and packed up a lot of my stuff and put it in storage. The rest of my stuff is at the apartment I'm staying in at IMG in Bradenton. Whenever I find out where I'll be playing, I'll ship it all to that city. And hopefully I won't need a passport!

Do you have a passport?
No.

Meanwhile, how do you pack for all these workouts? You don't even know when you'll be home.
When I go to workouts, they usually give you some gear to wear. Now, when I leave the workout, I just leave the gear behind, because my bag is already so heavy.

You could probably sell that stuff.
It would go for a few bucks back home. But after the workouts, I just leave it in the locker room.

naico
06-22-2007, 04:28 PM
although he claimed it went "pretty good", he seems a bit dissapointed about the workout to me...Am i the only one with that impression?

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 04:34 PM
although he claimed it went "pretty good", he seems a bit dissapointed about the workout to me...Am i the only one with that impression?

He sounds to me like a guy who's focussing on the moment without getting his hopes up about his future and where he might land. There's no sense in getting excited and het up about one team or another, when they very well won't draft you.

timvp
06-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Interesting that Almond dealt with Pop and this group of point guards didn't. Not sure if there's anything to buy in to or not.

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Pop was on a bender.

El_Mago
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
For the prospect to meet with Pop.....

I suppose the scouts and RC must have been impressed....

I know character means a lot to the Spurs and especially Pop, so he may have wanted to get a feel about Almonds character and just talk to him.....

I think the meeting is rather significant.

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 10:16 PM
FWIW, Chad Ford has the Spurs taking Dowdell at #33 in his latest mock. He just added round 2...

Solid D
06-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Glad to see the Spurs also had Jamaal Tatum in from So. Illinois, also. I like this guy. He really competes and he is a good playmaker.

timvp
06-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Q. Where might Dowdell end up?

A. Seattle, which has the 31st and 35th picks, flew the Pahokee, Fla., resident out for an 11th-hour workout Tuesday, so the Sonics are interested. He also has auditioned for Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Portland and Golden State, among others.

It'd suck if Presti stole Dowdell at 31 :madrun

timvp
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
It'd suck if Presti stole Dowdell at 31 :madrun

And since he has a pretty good idea of how highly the Spurs have Dowdell rated, Presti will know whether to take Dowdell at 31 or 35.

:shootme

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
So the question becomes: do the Spurs like a domestic prospect enough to use the #28 on him?

T Park
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
If Presti takes Dowdell, he is dead to me.

timvp
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
So the question becomes: do the Spurs like a domestic prospect enough to use the #28 on him?

If that prospect is Dowdell, they better take him before Presti does. If the Spurs truly are after Dudley and/or Dowdell, it seems like Presti will be sitting there at 31 ready to take whichever one is still on the board.

T Park
06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
I guess Presti didn't give the Spurs the same assurances that Ferry and them did.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 02:40 PM
If Presti takes Dowdell, he is dead to me.

Oh my God...if Pruitt, Dowdell, and Koponen are all gone by #33 and Presti is a reason....I will :pctoss

Would they take Sessions at #33 if that happened?

ClingingMars
06-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Dowdell is overrated tbh. 28 would be too high, maybe at 33...but if he falls to our 50 something pick, hell ya.

-Mars

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Another random thought...maybe if the Spurs really like a player who's available around 18-22 they can find a team with a pick in that range who is looking for a point guard and who would be willing to swap their pick with #28 and take back Beno. That team would have to have a trade exception big enough to absorb Beno's $1.7 million salary. Spurs might also have to throw in something else, like the #58 or a future 2nd round pick.

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Dowdell is overrated tbh. 28 would be too high, maybe at 33...but if he falls to our 50 something pick, hell ya.

-Mars

He's been in for two workouts for the Spurs that we know of. Clearly there's interest, so don't be suprised if he's picked....

ClingingMars
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
He's been in for two workouts for the Spurs that we know of. Clearly there's interest, so don't be suprised if he's picked....

I've seen him play in person, 28 would be a mistake imo.

-Mars

Darkwaters
06-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I like Dowdell at 33 but not 28.

Rudy/Zabian/???

make it so

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I've seen him play in person, 28 would be a mistake imo.

-Mars

I appreciate your opinion, and I honestly think they'll wait until #33 to snag him...

But given the rumors of a Ridnour trade, the Sonics might be looking PG at #31, and if Dowdell is the Spurs' target expect him to get taken...even at #28.

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Agreed Phat..Drafting this late you draft needs before anything else!!

regio
06-28-2007, 11:10 PM
So nobody picked this guy??

Kori Ellis
06-28-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm guessing he got hurt or something else happened to make him fall.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2007, 11:21 PM
We better get him on our Summer League roster.

Darkwaters
06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
We better get him on our Summer League roster.

No kidding. This kid definitely warrants at least that.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm guessing he got hurt or something else happened to make him fall.

Note on TrueHoop he was waiting at home with his family for the call that never came. I hope the Spurs try to lock him into the summer league.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:27 AM
Something had to happen to drop him out of the draft.

SOMETHING HAD to scare other teams off.

Gotta be one.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 02:28 AM
Something had to happen to drop him out of the draft.

SOMETHING HAD to scare other teams off.

Gotta be one.

No it doesn't. Good players fall out of the draft every year.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:31 AM
The guy is projected high second low first, and nothing happens to him, and all of a sudden hes undraftable?

Come on.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Give it up, man. The guy dropped down. He's the same good prospect he was before.

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Sign him up!

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2007, 03:13 AM
SG Russell Carter, too.

Admidave50
06-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Gotta be CIA Pop move, telling other teams that he's a trouble kid and we'll have him for cheap =p

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I really want Dowdell. I hope we sign him up for the Summer League.

Admidave50
06-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Yep, so do I. He looks like an interesting prospect! Really curious why he fell out of the draft!

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Yep, so do I. He looks like an interesting prospect! Really curious why he fell out of the draft!

I'm sure he wants to know the same thing...

ducks
06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Oddly enough, NBADraft.net doesn't even have Dowdell being drafted.
they hit it one the head

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
If nothing else we need to sign him to the Toros so that we can keep an eye on him next year (assuming neither we or any other NBA teams picks him up). But I really feel that this guy could be our backup PG next season.