06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2007/jared_dudley.jpg

Full Name: Jared Anthony Dudley
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-7 / 225
Birthdate: July 10, 1985 (San Diego)
High School: Horizon HS (San Diego)
College: Boston College

nbadraft.net profile (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jareddudley.html)
nba.com profile (http://www.nba.com/draft2007/profiles/JaredDudley.html)
draftexpress.com profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=181)

RobinsontoDuncan
06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Attitude problems, not spurs material

Kori Ellis
06-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Explain?

Everything I've read lately from coaches is that he is the ultimate teammate and team player. His great attitude and high basketball IQ are touted by everyone. He finished his degree (which is commendable these days). And most people think he was the MVP of the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp.

Why do you think his attitude sucks?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
i've seen a lot of ACC basketball (and do you remember all the shit he said before the georgetown game?) dudley is a me first chest pounding guy IMO, and a lot of my friends tend to agree.

edit: but, im fully aware that there are those out there that have a different opinion

Kori Ellis
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Interesting. I just thought it was odd because everyone around him says the exact opposite. According to most, his attitude, work ethic, commitment seem exactly like Spurs material. I thought maybe you were mixing him up with the other Boston College guy.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Interesting. I just thought it was odd because everyone around him says the exact opposite. According to most, his attitude, work ethic, commitment seem exactly like Spurs material. I thought maybe you were mixing him up with the other Boston College guy.

No, IMO their program this year had a lot of bad eggs, and Dudley has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Mr. Body
06-20-2007, 09:57 PM
No, IMO their program this year had a lot of bad eggs, and Dudley has always rubbed me the wrong way.

You're absolutely and 100% full of shit. Congratulations on trying to already derail the thread.

Darkwaters
06-20-2007, 09:58 PM

You are the absolute first person I have ever heard say that about this kid. All I've read about him indicates high character, class and a team-first mentality.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-20-2007, 10:00 PM
You are the absolute first person I have ever heard say that about this kid. All I've read about him indicates high character, class and a team-first mentality.

How many times have you seen him play.

And look, call me out, call me a douche bag.

It's not like I'm saying my opinion is infallible, im pretty sure I've prefaced everything I've said with in my opinion.

And again, at the very least all of you have to remember the shit he was talking before the georgetown game

Maybe Jim, who also watches a lot of ACC ball will share my sentiments

Kori Ellis
06-20-2007, 10:00 PM

Me too. That's why I thought he had mixed him with Shawn Williams. Dudley gets amazing praise from coaches and scouts in that regard. In fact, some say his character/attitude is what is going to take him further than his skills.

But hey, everyone has an opinion.

Mr. Body
06-20-2007, 10:05 PM
This guy (Robinson) is completely and utterly wrong about Jared Dudley. I cannot even say how wrong he is.

Darkwaters
06-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Me too. That's why I thought he had mixed him with Shawn Williams. Dudley gets amazing praise from coaches and scouts in that regard. In fact, some say his character/attitude is what is going to take him further than his skills.

But hey, everyone has an opinion.

I suppose. I mean, if people were legitimately referring to the Spurs as a "team of thugs" a few weeks ago then I guess seeing Dudley as an ego-maniac isn't out of the question.

Man Mountain
06-21-2007, 04:42 AM
Dudley is the most ready player to come to San Antonio and produce right away. I think he could learn a lot from someone like Robert Horry. I was be really happy if the Spurs drafted him. He's not the Bowen replacement but he gives us size on the perimeter we haven't had since Elliott retired.

Darkwaters
06-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Hes neither long nor exceptionally athletic. But this guy would be a solid SF for our team.

florige
06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
This guy is freakin good trust me. Being a Terps fan I've seen him single handily put it to us time and time again. He's an intense player who REALLY wants to win. He has a pretty decent jump shot, and is a good defender.

Gtown
06-21-2007, 08:42 AM
RobinsonToDuncan saw that the kid got braids and automatically said he's not Spurs material. Thats hilarious. If this kid is there at 28 and the Spurs pass for another long term European project Im gonna be heated.

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Dudley appears to be a high-character guy, but he is also a very emotional, chest-pounding type...those two qualities are not intertwined.

But, the only Spur that really has that quality is Francisco Elson whenever he dunks...most others just go about their business. He seems to REALLY want to be here, having stated such on several occasions.

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
is his dad chris dudley?? :D:D:D

mardigan
06-21-2007, 01:04 PM

It's not like I'm saying my opinion is infallible, im pretty sure I've prefaced everything I've said with in my opinion.

And again, at the very least all of you have to remember the shit he was talking before the georgetown game

Hes right, your full of shit, guy is a great teamate and is great off of the court. You dont know what your talking about

RobinsontoDuncan
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
RobinsonToDuncan saw that the kid got braids and automatically said he's not Spurs material. Thats hilarious. If this kid is there at 28 and the Spurs pass for another long term European project Im gonna be heated.

You are a fucking idiot. I said at the top of the page that i dont like his chest thumping antics and i thought he came off as a classless idiot in his press conference before the georgetown game.

I dont give a shit what a player looks like and fuck you for implying im a bigot.

and how many of the people that are calling me out regularly watch ACC basketball and or have seen dudley play more than once?

mardigan
06-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Ive watched Dudley play probably 20-30 times the last 2 years, Im a big fan of his. maybe you've watched him more than I, but I have never seen any kind of negativity from this kid, and everyone of his teamates and coaches love him

Horry For 3!
06-22-2007, 01:47 AM

I watch a lot of ACC basketball because i'm a big North Carolina fan and Dudley is not even close to having a attitude problem. You might be thinking about Sean Williams who fucks up all the time but not Dudley. He was Boston College's team leader and big time player.

TexasAggie2005
06-22-2007, 02:21 AM
You are a fucking idiot. I said at the top of the page that i dont like his chest thumping antics and i thought he came off as a classless idiot in his press conference before the georgetown game.

I dont give a shit what a player looks like and fuck you for implying im a bigot.

and how many of the people that are calling me out regularly watch ACC basketball and or have seen dudley play more than once?

being emotional and chest thumping isn't a big deal. he's 21 years old. and again, maybe he didn't come off that polished in one interview, but he's only 21 (i don't remember the interview, so i'll trust you on this one). i'm not really worried about character issues from a guy beating his chest after a really emotional moment. character issues for me means pacman jones style stuff. or not getting along with your teammates.

spurscenter
06-22-2007, 10:15 AM

thats funny!

ggoose25
06-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I don't like Dudley either. Seems to have a real big mouth. Doesn't know when to STFU.

He's got a sweet stroke, but is way too slow to guard most athletic bigs. The way he moves reminds me of a young Steve Smith.

But the guy can rebound. He has a hard nose for the ball, and will do anything to win. You can see it on his face after a loss, he absolutely hates it.

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 12:40 PM
He fires himself and his teammates up, he's not passive on the court. Incidentally, there's a spot on youtube where he shows the interviewer around Boston. I think it was aired during the NCAA tournament.

Anyway, this guy is Top 5 in the draft in terms of intensity/intangibles. He's like a less obnoxious Joakim Noah.

ggoose25
06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
The guy runs like he's locked at the knees! I just don't see him staying on the floor if Pop can't use him defensively.

Gtown
06-22-2007, 01:07 PM

:blah :lol :lol

You look pretty emotional and classless too with all that unnecessary cursing. I dont think you're Spurs material son.

Darkwaters
06-22-2007, 01:10 PM
:blah :lol :lol

You look pretty emotional and classless too with all that unnecessary cursing. I dont think you're Spurs material son.

Can we waive a fan? Or is this going to take a buyout?

Gtown
06-22-2007, 01:12 PM
According to some folks on here we could prolly trade him, Beno, and the rights to Scola for Kobe.

ggoose25
06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
According to some folks on here we could prolly trade him, Beno, and the rights to Scola for Kobe.

thats a great trade! :smokin

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 01:14 PM
On Dudley, I have seen several recent mock drafts that have this kid, but I'm just not sure the Spurs are as high on him as everyone seems to think.

In fact, I would say most of the affiliation between him and the Spurs has been through his comments....repeatedly telling anyone who will listen that he'd love to be a Spur.

Having said that, he is Spurs material and I wouldn't doubt that the Spurs are aware of him...

Has he worked out for the Spurs?

mardigan
06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
On Dudley, I have seen several recent mock drafts that have this kid, but I'm just not sure the Spurs are as high on him as everyone seems to think.

In fact, I would say most of the affiliation between him and the Spurs has been through his comments....repeatedly telling anyone who will listen that he'd love to be a Spur.

Having said that, he is Spurs material and I wouldn't doubt that the Spurs are aware of him...

Has he worked out for the Spurs?
No he hasnt been brought in for a workout. The short list I found on the players they brought in were

Player Team Workout Date Status Source
Aaron Gray Spurs Jun 22nd Upcoming
Nick Fazekas Spurs Jun 22nd Upcoming
Carl Landry Spurs Jun 6th Completed
Kyle Visser Spurs Jun 6th Completed
Nikita Shabalkin Spurs Jun 6th Completed
Lamont Hamilton Spurs Jun 6th Completed

Horry For 3!
06-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I saw this from DraftExpress...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuzZhf6QnATmaj8cGvNe_a68vLYF?slug=ys-mockdraft062107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

28. San Antonio Spurs – Jared Dudley, senior SF/PF, Boston College (6-7, 219). San Antonio gets an experienced player with a "Spurs mentality" who can play right away thanks to his perimeter shooting, passing and rebounding skills.

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 02:56 PM
I saw this from DraftExpress...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuzZhf6QnATmaj8cGvNe_a68vLYF?slug=ys-mockdraft062107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

28. San Antonio Spurs – Jared Dudley, senior SF/PF, Boston College (6-7, 219). San Antonio gets an experienced player with a "Spurs mentality" who can play right away thanks to his perimeter shooting, passing and rebounding skills.

Yes, there are several more like this as well....saying he's the perfect "Spurs-type" player. And he has even been quoted (I believe in a DX article) more than once as saying he would love to come to SA.

I'm not saying the Spurs don't know who he is, but having not been brought in for a workout, perhaps the media buzz has caused some to think the Spurs are just as infatuated with Dudley as he is with being a Spur....not sure that's the case.

Again, I wouldn't mind him being a Spur at all...

Bruno
06-22-2007, 03:01 PM
No he hasnt been brought in for a workout. The short list I found on the players they brought in were

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1250533&postcount=1

And it's not sure at all that Dudley hasn't worked out with Spurs. Spurs don't say with who they work out. If Dudley hasn't said to a journalist that he has worked out with Spurs, nobody will know it.

Horry For 3!
06-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Yes, there are several more like this as well....saying he's the perfect "Spurs-type" player. And he has even been quoted (I believe in a DX article) more than once as saying he would love to come to SA.

I'm not saying the Spurs don't know who he is, but having not been brought in for a workout, perhaps the media buzz has caused some to think the Spurs are just as infatuated with Dudley as he is with being a Spur....not sure that's the case.

Again, I wouldn't mind him being a Spur at all...
Yeah. I just looked on nbadraft.net and they have Dudley going to the Spurs at #33

mardigan
06-22-2007, 03:07 PM

And it's not sure at all that Dudley hasn't worked out with Spurs. Spurs don't say with who they work out. If Dudley hasn't said to a journalist that he has worked out with Spurs, nobody will know it.
I was just posting what I had found

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM

BTW, apparently you need to add Koponen to the list of guys that have been worked out. In the latest Chad Ford article, he said a spy had seen Koponen working out with Dowdell and another for the Spurs....is that solid enough to make your list?

timvp
06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Dudley has or will work out for the Spurs. They are working out everyone else in his range, so there's no reason to not work him out.

I think he'd be a pretty decent pick. I just wonder if he's the second coming of Chris Carrawell.

When the Spurs work him out, I'm going to guess that his foot speed (or lack thereof) will turn off Pop. If the Spurs pick him, I'd guess it'd be at 33 rather than 28.

Bruno
06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I was just posting what I had found

I was just posting a link to a more complete workout list than the Draftexpress one. No pun intented :)

Thanks Phat Tony, I will add him.

spurscenter
06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Dud----ley

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Dudley Doright.

naico
06-22-2007, 04:08 PM
BTW, apparently you need to add Koponen to the list of guys that have been worked out. In the latest Chad Ford article, he said a spy had seen Koponen working out with Dowdell and another for the Spurs....is that solid enough to make your list?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-25-96/Just-Pick-Me-Already--Zabian-Dowdell--Take-2.html (http://)

How did it go in San Antonio?
It went pretty good. There were five guys there. We did some shooting, some one-on-ones.

Were D.J. Strawberry and Jared Jordan there again?
No, no D.J. and Jared this time. It was Jamal Tatum, Mustafa Shakur, Ramon Sessions, and Petteri Koponen.

How did Koponen look?
He looks pretty good. This was a pretty good group to go against.

Did you get any sense of what the team thought about the workout?
No, they didn't tell me much. No real dialogue from the team. They took us out to a pretty lunch in a pretty good restaurant and said thanks for coming.

Who runs these workouts?
The first time I was in San Antonio it was a scout. This time it was an assistant coach, but lots of people were involved. The GM was directing part of it. It's not just one guy.

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 04:10 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-25-96/Just-Pick-Me-Already--Zabian-Dowdell--Take-2.html (http://)

How did it go in San Antonio?
It went pretty good. There were five guys there. We did some shooting, some one-on-ones.

Were D.J. Strawberry and Jared Jordan there again?
No, no D.J. and Jared this time. It was Jamal Tatum, Mustafa Shakur, Ramon Sessions, and Petteri Koponen.

How did Koponen look?
He looks pretty good. This was a pretty good group to go against.

Did you get any sense of what the team thought about the workout?
No, they didn't tell me much. No real dialogue from the team. They took us out to a pretty lunch in a pretty good restaurant and said thanks for coming.

Who runs these workouts?
The first time I was in San Antonio it was a scout. This time it was an assistant coach, but lots of people were involved. The GM was directing part of it. It's not just one guy.

Good catch....

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Let's try to get this information on the Dowdell thread...

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Here is the Jared Dudley interview Henry Abbott did from TrueHoop. Dudley, as you will see, was working out in San Antonio.

Link. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-25-97/Just-Pick-Me-Already--Jared-Dudley.html?post=true)

He's one of the few players you can introduce this way: Here he is on video, shopping with ESPN's Andy Katz. He's a 6-7 forward who improved his statistics in all four years at Boston College. As a senior, he was a finalist for the Wooden Award. The NBA Draft Media Guide praises Dudley for his tirelessness, and and for being well-positioned on the court at all times, which gets him buckets and rebounds many other players his size wouldn't get. He's also not afraid of shooting from the outside.

I caught up with him earlier today from, no kidding, San Antonio, which seems to be where every player I talk to -- Morris Almond, Zabian Dowdell, I think Petteri Koponen will be joining us soon -- happens to be. I was looking for guys with excellent character who weren't in the lottery so I guess it's no surprise that we'd end up chasing a lot of the same players as San Antonio, whose highest pick is 28.

How is it going?
Going good. Can't ask for it to go any better, honestly.

That's great. What are you hearing?
People are surprised, I think, that I can shoot with that kind of range, from NBA three. I have been able to show that, and I think I'm in the mix for a lot of teams. And you only need one of them to fall in love with you.

Do you have a sense of where you might end up?
No, not really. I'm starting to think I'm not a late second round guy. But you never know. Am I a fit at 37, 38? You never know.

What kind of draft preparation did you do?
I went to Las Vegas, and worked out with Joe Abunassar. He really helped me get my weight down, and helped me expand my range.

Do you have any preference to live in one part of the country or another?
Not really. I am from San Diego, and I went to college in Boston, so I have seen the opposite coasts. I'm just eager to be playing in the NBA. The only thing is that I'd love to be in a big city.

Why?
I want to go out and see new things. Meet new people. That's easier if you're somewhere like Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, or New York. Those major cities have stuff to do that you won't find in, say Indiana.

What about not knowing where you're going to live? Are you living out of a suitcase right now?
I have half my stuff in Las Vegas. The other half is in San Diego.

Guess that's pretty convenient, because you'll probably be at summer league in Vegas next month.
Then I'll just ship to whatever city it has to go to.

Any thought you might play in Europe or do you expect to play in the NBA?
I expect to be in the NBA.

What do you do with all your free time on the road?
I talk to friends, I watch a little TV. Mostly I do all the little things to keep myself ready. I make sure I sleep. I eat right -- and try to avoid most of the junk food they have in airports.

What do you eat?
A lot of grilled chicken, grilled turkey, fruit, and water.

Makes a difference if you eat right, huh?
It really does.

Are you feeling like you still have a lot of energy?
I feel like I got my second wind. I have enough energy to do all these workouts. I have had enough days off in between. I have been able to keep banging.

You sound pretty cool and calm about the whole thing. Aren't you a little worried?
I'm definitely a little worried. But I'm confident that the right team, with the right situation, will pick me.

EvenFlow
06-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I want to go out and see new things. Meet new people. That's easier if you're somewhere like Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, or New York. Those major cities have stuff to do that you won't find in, say Indiana.

He put San Antonio in the same breath with Los Angeles and New York? He must really want to be a Spur!

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 05:03 PM
He put San Antonio in the same breath with Los Angeles and New York? He must really want to be a Spur!

Yeah, my ears pricked up at that. I'd put San Antonio and Indianapolis on the same level in terms of attractions and things to do. More than you'd think, but far less than several of the cities he mentioned.

The guy's a diplomat, anyway - he only mentioned a place without a draft pick... :)

RobinsontoDuncan
06-22-2007, 05:16 PM
being emotional and chest thumping isn't a big deal. he's 21 years old. and again, maybe he didn't come off that polished in one interview, but he's only 21 (i don't remember the interview, so i'll trust you on this one). i'm not really worried about character issues from a guy beating his chest after a really emotional moment. character issues for me means pacman jones style stuff. or not getting along with your teammates.

In his interview before the B.C. Georgetown game in the NCAA tournament Dudley ripped the Hoyas, called them a weak and overrated team, and said the Big East was a pushover league.

He was essentially talking a lot of smack before the game and then ended up guaranteeing a win (they lost) and telling the world he would prove how much better the ACC was than the big east (he failed).

I think chest thumping and everything is one thing, starring down other players while your doing it shows a lack of class.

And you're god damned right Im going get pissed when someone essentially accuses me of bigotry (when I have remained consistent in my opinions and they clearly have nothing to do with his braids.)

Frankly I don't care if I convince anyone, and I really don't care if I end up being wrong somehow. I have a gut check opinion of this guy, and I don't think its to much of a reach considering the things I've seen him do.

Whatever.

Darkwaters
06-22-2007, 05:23 PM
The guy's a diplomat, anyway - he only mentioned a place without a draft pick... :)

Exactly! I wouldn't be surprised if he had mentioned Cleveland and Orlando as well considering neither have first rounders.

EvenFlow
06-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, my ears pricked up at that. I'd put San Antonio and Indianapolis on the same level in terms of attractions and things to do. More than you'd think, but far less than several of the cities he mentioned.

The women are probably alot more attractive in San Antonio than Indianapolis atleast. :fro

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2007, 06:23 PM

I agree -- I had copied that tidbit intending to post it here. I'm glad I'm not alone in being intrigued by the idea that he cited San Antonio as a "major city" along with Philly, Chicago, Miami, LA, Houston, Dallas, and New York. It's at least a mildly curious statement.

mardigan
06-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree -- I had copied that tidbit intending to post it here. I'm glad I'm not alone in being intrigued by the idea that he cited San Antonio as a "major city" along with Philly, Chicago, Miami, LA, Houston, Dallas, and New York. It's at least a mildly curious statement.
Well SA is like the 7th biggest US citys, so I would think that would qualify it as a major city

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Well SA is like the 7th biggest US citys, so I would think that would qualify it as a major city

In NBA terms, though, SA is decidedly a small market. I understand your point, but I don't know of too many people who would put San Antonio on the list that Dudley did. I suspect it had a lot to do with the fact that he was chatting with Henry Abbott from San Antonio -- and it probably means absolutely nothing. It was just an interesting thought.

Russ
06-22-2007, 11:27 PM
All he's saying is that he prefers cities to states.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
All he's saying is that he prefers cities to states.
:lol

florige
06-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I REALLY hope if this guy is still around at our pick we give him a shot. He would be the SF we have been coveting. Kid can ball. He kinda had a dissapointing postseason in college, but he still has the skill I think to be a solid contributer for a team.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
He would be the SF we have been coveting.Nah, we want a long SF.

Slinkyman
06-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Chad Ford has us taking Dudley in his latest mock, draftexpress and nbadraft.net both have us taking him too.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
DX had us taking Koponen two days ago. What changed?

florige
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Nah, we want a long SF.

You don't think he would be a good fit Chump?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 12:53 PM
He might play well, but physically he's not the SF we've been looking for. I have some concerns about his upside as well.

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Again, I think all the sites are picking Dudley to the Spurs based on subjective thoughts that he's your typical "Spurs" guy. I haven't seen much to indicate that the Spurs are in love with him.

I'm sure there are better options at #28 and he'll probably be there at #33 if the Spurs want to take him then....

florige
06-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Again, I think all the sites are picking Dudley to the Spurs based on subjective thoughts that he's your typical "Spurs" guy. I haven't seen much to indicate that the Spurs are in love with him.

I'm sure there are better options at #28 and he'll probably be there at #33 if the Spurs want to take him then....

Some of the mocks now have him to have drifted off into the 2nd round.

florige
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
He might play well, but physically he's not the SF we've been looking for. I have some concerns about his upside as well.

Someone a little more scrappy. He isn't your typical physical type of guy. He had his moments at BC though.

whottt
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
The Spurs were taught how to win titles by the biggest Chest Thumpin' mofo to ever step foot on an NBA court...he went by the name of Mario, in fact I think Mario invented the shimmy...and he had a chest thumpin' sidekick named Jaren who pitched in as well.

They remembered how to win when a chest thumpin' guy named Stephen Jackson got off the bench to start contributing...this guy was such a chest bumper, I think he injured Drob one time in 03 with a chest bump.

In 05 they had a guy who has been known to take some cheap shots and stick his chin out in arrogance after breaking other teams hearts...and he contributed too.

Since then, even some long time Spurs have turned into emotional guys who pump their fists or scream after a nice play...I've seen Duncan do it, I've seen Parker do it.

I could care less if some guy celebrates after making a big play...as long as it's a big play. Most of the time guys that do this are trying to pump up their teamates or pump up the crowd.

I like watching Elson dunk just for how pumped up he gets after doing it...there is nothing arrogant about IMO...it's the just the type of guy he is.

As long as they aren't a headcase waiting to meltdown on the court and bigmouth cancer that makes stupid statements about the team and his teamates...who cares?

I wouldn't want a team of guys who do it after hitting a FT..but I'd hardly say the Spurs are in danger of that.

What happens off the court is much more important.

I read this guys profile and it'd be awesome of the Spurs use one of their picks on a guy like this...

He may not be long or athletic...but he's bulky enough to put on Banzi(and yes that's a concern again), Dirk or LeBron. He may not be Bruce Bowen...but then no one else currently in the NBA or college is either.

Has intensity, has strenght, pretty good shooter, can rebound...it beats drafting another guy that will spend the next 5 years in Europe....we have enough of those guys.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Someone a little more scrappy. He isn't your typical physical type of guy. He had his moments at BC though.I was speaking strictly about physical size.

florige
06-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I was speaking strictly about physical size.

got it,

Steve-O-Matic
06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Chad Ford has us taking Dudley in his latest mock, draftexpress and nbadraft.net both have us taking him too.
Not only that, but he has us taking Dudley at 28.....with Belinelli still on the board (then going right off the board one pick later at 29).

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
It's not obvious that Belinelli will be a better player than Dudley. He doesn't rebound nearly as well... Dudley is in truth the better shooter. The only place Belinelli has him possibly beat is athleticism.

K-State Spur
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
i like him, i think he could be a rotation player almost immediately. he's probably the closest thing this draft has to a josh howard. although he's probably a little stronger and not as quick.

timvp
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm in the middle on Dudley. It's tough to tell from his college games whether he can make in in the NBA. He's either going to be a solid Mario Elie type player or a Chris Carrawell type player. There isn't much middle ground with him.

It'd come down to what the Spurs see in an individual workout. If the Spurs end up selecting him, I'd trust that he showed enough athleticism in his individual workout to warrant the pick.

Solid D
06-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Dudley's more of a baller than Carrawell was. Plus, they don't really have the same attributes. I was surprised Carrawell didn't pan out, but I think Dudley is much more exciting and impactful offensively.

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Dudley's intangibles are much better than Carrawell, who was a bit soft. Dudley is a resolute player, really tough.

timvp
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Dudley's range of getting drafted is probably something like 28 to 45. I really don't see him going before 28. Even at 33, there's a decent chance he'll be there.

The kinda cool thing would be that everyone has always said Dudley plays like he's a member of the Spurs. We'd be able to see first hand if everyone was right.

Mr. Body
06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
I do think there's an outside chance Utah picks him (where are they - 26?). The Spurs get a chance, then I agree... he drops into the early second round. He's right - he could last to the mid-second.

Solid D
06-25-2007, 07:34 PM

"See new things...meet new people....stuff to do". It's not like San Antonio is a place for tourists or anything. :smokin

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Alando Tucker.

Solid D
06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Alando Tucker.

?

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
?

Alando Tucker is who the Spurs should get, forget all this Dudley stuff...

Solid D
06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Alando Tucker is who the Spurs should get, forget all this Dudley stuff...

Ah! I see.

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Ah! I see.

....and no!

I'd take Dudley over Tucker because of his ability to possibly play the small ball 4.

Steve-O-Matic
06-25-2007, 09:51 PM
....and no!

I'd take Dudley over Tucker because of his ability to possibly play the small ball 4.
That would have to be a wheelchair basketball game because Dudley is only 6-5 3/4.

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
That would have to be a wheelchair basketball game because Dudley is only 6-5 3/4.

In socks...and 6'7+ in shoes. So how tall was Malik Rose? How tall was Charles Barkley? And a more recent example, Craig Smith?

Some guys just have a toughness and nose for the ball. Dudley is one of them....

K-State Spur
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM

It depends on the match-ups. He showed an ability to defend the post some at BC.

I'm not saying that he would be the perfect small ball '4' against a team like PHX, but he wouldn't get physically overpowered by Marion (if PHX were playing small) either. He's also pretty solid on the boards.

50 cent
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I think Dudley would fit with the Spurs. While I don't know that he has the athleticism to be Bowen's replacement, I think he does the small things well like Horry.

Count me in as another one that never heard about any attitude problems with Jared.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Someone should send this thread to Jared's mother.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2007, 11:12 PM

T Park
06-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Another small forward would fit good who Buford will pass over Im sure.

timvp
06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Boston College senior Jared Dudley continues to move up in the draft and secured a workout for No. 18 Golden State Wednesday. Dudley has worked out to rave reviews wherever he has been and so far, that's quite a number of spots: L.A. Lakers, Seattle, Miami, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Utah, San Antonio, Houston and Phoenix. The Spurs, which is Dudley's preferred destination, wanted to see Dudley a second time but his representative wanted to put him in front of the Warriors since that was the highest number he could land.

Damn, maybe Dudley is the guy at 28.

:wow

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Dudley at 18? Seems like a stretch. Maybe Spurs are prepping for the guy expected to go in the last 1st who ends up in the early 2nd.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:38 PM
The Spurs, which is Dudley's preferred destination, wanted to see Dudley a second time but his representative wanted to put him in front of the Warriors since that was the highest number he could land.

Kid wants to go to SA, yet the agent, stands in the way.

Fucking agents.

Russ
06-27-2007, 11:42 PM
How about Rudy Fernandez, Marco Belinelli, Tiago Splitter, Morris Almond, Derrick Byars, or Petteri Koponen, whichever is available in that order.

But the only one available will probably be Koponen.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Id rather trade the pick than go with another pasty euro stiff pointguard.

koopa
06-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Id rather trade the pick than go with another pasty euro stiff pointguard.

i concur....... fuck another euro........ we need some college players on this team

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2007, 11:51 PM
But they already have that guy in !.

T Park
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM

I finally got who ! is now :lol

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Boston College senior Jared Dudley continues to move up in the draft and secured a workout for No. 18 Golden State Wednesday. Dudley has worked out to rave reviews wherever he has been and so far, that's quite a number of spots: L.A. Lakers, Seattle, Miami, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Utah, San Antonio, Houston and Phoenix. The Spurs, which is Dudley's preferred destination, wanted to see Dudley a second time but his representative wanted to put him in front of the Warriors since that was the highest number he could land.

Andy Katz ESPN.COm

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Andy Katz ESPN.COm

Post #91

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Phat..

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Phat..

Sorry dude....almost did it myself though.

Interesting that they brought him in for a second workout. To this point, I always thought the interest was based more on assumption (b/c he's a "spurs" guy) than reality.

I guess I could be wrong....but it's still hard to see him at #28...

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
If they draft him at #28 it I guess he would simply take ely's spot on the roster and grab a pg at #33 for beno's spot since he is good as gone. I really think Bonner, Oberto, and vaughn will re-sign this summer so no openings there.

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I'd love Dudley at #28. Really.

timvp
06-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I'd love Dudley at #28. Really.

I'm actually warming up to the idea. I still think he has a chance to bust ... but that's true for 99% of the guys in that range.

At least he has the character and work ethic to give it his best shot. And if his main choice really is the Spurs, it's hard to knock him for that.

:hat

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
He could definitely bust, but has a nice assortment of skills and a huge willpower. It's that last part that would like us to try him out. If they don't pick him, that's fine. But I wouldn't be disappointed if they selected him.

yavozerb
06-28-2007, 10:13 AM
I see him as an oberto type player who is in the right place at the right time and to not make the game of basketball any more difficult than it already is. He seems to understand he will be a role player on any team and what better team utilizes players such as himself as the Spurs.

timvp
06-28-2007, 10:15 AM
He could definitely bust, but has a nice assortment of skills and a huge willpower. It's that last part that would like us to try him out. If they don't pick him, that's fine. But I wouldn't be disappointed if they selected him.

It'll end up being a moot point anyways since it's now publicized that Dudley wants to come to the Spurs, Rod Thorn is already on the phone trying to snag him before the Spurs can get him at 28.

Book it.

:cooldevil

wildbill2u
06-28-2007, 10:31 AM
I could see letting Bonner go if we took Dudley. Bonner is a great hustle guy and a good shot, but Dudley apparently has a much better BB IQ and is better all around player. not a bad shot either.

He might get more playing time because of his all around play than Bonner would.

Then we could still look for the mythical long three. (I heard one is playing in Upper Slobovia who is the next Scottie Pippen)

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I see him as an oberto type player who is in the right place at the right time and to not make the game of basketball any more difficult than it already is. He seems to understand he will be a role player on any team and what better team utilizes players such as himself as the Spurs.

He's limited athletically - only blocked 10 shots ALL YEAR this year - but I'd rather have a guy who's in the correct spots at all times rather than a super athlete who can cover three steps where other players cover two, who is always those three steps away from where he should be.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I'll talk myself into liking him later.

timvp
06-28-2007, 11:29 AM
The Mavs did not work out several players who could intrigue them if available, such as Glen "Big Baby" Davis from LSU, Alando Tucker from Wisconsin, Derrick Byars from Vanderbilt, Arron Afflalo from UCLA and Jared Dudley from Boston College.

Indications are that the Jazz are less likely to go for players like Nevada's 6-11 Nick Fazekas, Boston College forward Jared Dudley, Spanish forward Rudy Fernandez or BC's Sean Williams, all projected in the late first round.

The Heat could then settle for a less expensive option with the No. 39 pick in the second round, where player contracts are not guaranteed.

The Heat held workouts for several players who could fall in that range, including Boston College's Jared Dudley, Florida's Taurean Green, Pittsburgh's Aaron Gray and European guard Petteri Koponen.

The Celtics also own the second pick in the second round (32nd overall) and can expect to find a player who’ll stick on the roster at that spot. Boston would love to see Boston College’s Sean Williams or Jared Dudley slip to round two, but Williams, especially, is now targeted for the first round.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2007, 11:29 AM
He seems to have the mentality to become a solid role player. As much as Spurs fans are clamoring for a 'Bowen replacement' he is one of the few prospects in the draft who has that potential.

timvp
06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Dudley at 33 would be a fantastic pick. At 28 it'd be a good pick, but 33 even better because it'll be pretty obvious early on whether he has the athleticism to play in the NBA or not. If he doesn't and the Spurs picked him at 33, they can let him go.

However, I think the Celtics take him at 32 ... and then there's Presti sitting there at 31.

T Park
06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Everything I've read, and everything I've heard on NBA Radio, Dudley sounds like a carbon copy of Shane Battier.

You take a young Shane Battier, and put him under Bruce Bowen for a couple years?

Come on, its a no friggen brainer.

timvp
06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Adam (Hartford): Spurs and Jarrod Dudley???

SportsNation Chad Ford: No one knows what the Spurs are doing. They're the most secretive team in the league. Dudley is a guess. Petteri Koponnen and Zabian Dowdell are other guesses.

It's weird that the Spurs are so secretive but a lot of people have narrowed it down to Dudley, Koponen and Dowdell.

timvp
06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Best Sleeper: Jared Dudley. He would fit in perfectly with the Spurs if he falls all the way down to 28. The rest of the league will regret it if they let that happen. It would be similar to when the Pistons nabbed Tayshaun Prince with the 23rd pick in 2002. However, Dudley has been wowing teams in individual workouts so he could be selected as high as #18

Solid D
06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
The tough part about waiting to #33 is Presti picks at 31.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed timvp said the same thing a couple of posts up. Ditto, then.

timvp
06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
The tough part about waiting to #33 is Presti picks at 31.

And then you have Boston at 32 who can use all the Boston College homers they can get at this point.

Solid D
06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Indeed. :tu Wicked good take.

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
And then you have Boston at 32 who can use all the Boston College homers they can get at this point.

But they already have Gomes, a similar player.