PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Ramon Sessions

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2007/ramon_sessions.jpg

Full Name: Ramon Sessions
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-3 / 190
Birthdate: April 11, 1986 (Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
High School: Myrtle Beach HS (Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
College: Nevada

nbadraft.net profile (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/ramonsessions.html)
nba.com profile (http://www.nba.com/draft2007/profiles/RamonSessions.html)
draftexpress.com profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=466)

Mr. Body
06-20-2007, 10:09 PM
He's staying in the draft for a reason. A promise from Phoenix?

timvp
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
The Spurs are notoriously difficult to read, but a spy in the gym caught what he claims was one of two big workouts for pick No. 28.

The participants were Virginia Tech's Zabian Dowdell, Nevada's Ramon Sessions and Finland's Petteri Koponen. From what I gathered, Koponen and Sessions shined.

With a good chance that Koponen is gone when the Spurs pick, Sessions might have just jumped into the picture for 28 or 33.

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't get it. Why's this guy any good?

naico
06-22-2007, 04:25 PM
He's a skilled player, very good ball handler and he's great at finishing at the rim..

timvp
06-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Sessions a step closer to dream, being like Mike

Ramon Sessions grew up watching Michael Jordan play, dreaming of the day he would follow his hero into the NBA.

On June 1, the roles were reversed, sort of.

Jordan, now part-owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, sat in the stands at the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando, Fla., while Sessions got the chance to play in front of his childhood idol.

And just like Jordan while he was leading the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles, Sessions did not choke or disappoint.

"Playing in front of guys like Michael Jordan and Jerry West, it was a great experience," said Sessions, a former Myrtle Beach High standout who announced last week he is remaining in the June 28 NBA draft.

"I tried not to look up in the stands, but when I heard Mike was up there I couldn't help it. It was like a dream come true."

And now Sessions' ultimate dream is close to coming true thanks to his stellar play at the pre-draft camp. Sessions averaged 13 points per game and boasted an unheard of 13-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio during the three-day camp, which featured fellow draft hopefuls.

"I wasn't nervous because this was something I've been working for my whole life," Sessions said. "It was like being in the NBA, you just play your game and showing what you can do. It was a great experience."

Especially since Sessions was teamed up with fellow Nevada junior Marcelus Kemp. The two played well together, although they opted to part ways. Sessions opted to bypass his senior season with the Wolf Pack while Kemp will return to Reno next season.

"Having Marcelus on my team benefitted both of us. We're used to playing together and that made us more relaxed," Sessions said. "When I finally made my decision, he was the first one I called. I called the coach [Mark Fox] next because I told him I would, but Marcelus wanted to know as soon as I made my decision.

"He decided it was best for him to wait and I respect that. It was tough for me to leave [Nevada] because it was so good for me. I thought long and hard about it and decided it was time for me to go after my dream."

Tipping the scales in the NBA's direction was the fact that Sessions has been invited to work out for at least eight teams so they can take a closer look at the 6-foot-4 point guard. He flew to Phoenix, Portland and Detroit last week to run through drills for scouts and coaches, including a familiar face in former Socastee High coach Dan D'Antoni, now an assistant for the Suns.

D'Antoni had nothing but good things to say about the kid who plagued the Braves during his high school career and delighted crowds during the Beach Ball Classic.

"We've been real impressed by Ramon," D'Antoni said. "Obviously, I've known him a long time and seen what he can do, but a lot of teams are taking a look at him. I think he's got a good chance at being drafted."

Sessions is currently on a five-city tour to work out for more teams - San Antonio, Golden State, Seattle, Houston and Miami - but doesn't have a preference to play for one.

"None at all," he said. "Growing up wanting to play in the NBA, I just want to be drafted somewhere, anywhere. Just having my name called is what I've always dreamed about."

Sessions is predicted to be a second-round pick by most scouting services, something that could change based on his individual workouts and interviews with teams, but could move into the first round, according to some scouts and his new agent - James "Chubby" Wells of Atlanta.

"My agent's telling me I could jump up to the first round, but he says not to worry about it," said Sessions, whose agent also represents current NBA players Eric Snow and Dale Davis. "He handles all that stuff and lets me focus on basketball, which is what I need to do."

Sessions plans to keep his concentration on the court until the draft, which he will watch with his agent in Atlanta. Sessions will return to Myrtle Beach to visit with friends and family members the next day - hopefully as an NBA player.

"It's a little scary because you have so much riding on who picks you and when," Sessions said of the draft. "But as long as someone calls my name by the end of the day, I'll be happy."

A happy ending to a long-held dream, indeed.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/141/story/106109.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Goddamn! A 13-1 assist/turnover ratio!

timvp
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm not so sure how thrilled I'd be if the Spurs drafted a player who was the third best player on Nevada's team. Averaging four assists isn't jawdropping, especially when he played with a shooter of Fazekas' caliber.

Unless I'm missing something, I'd rate him behind Koponen, Pruitt, Dowdell and Green.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2007, 11:16 PM
That 13/1 ratio must explain why he "shined" in the Spurs workout.

Russ
06-22-2007, 11:18 PM
That must explain why he "shined" in the Spurs workout.
If he was really good he would have "shone."

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2007, 11:19 PM
If he was really good he would have "shone."
:p:

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
But is he boasting about his height too? The profile at the top of the page has him listed at 6'3"

ducks
06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm not so sure how thrilled I'd be if the Spurs drafted a player who was the third best player on Nevada's team. Averaging four assists isn't jawdropping, especially when he played with a shooter of Fazekas' caliber.

Unless I'm missing something, I'd rate him behind Koponen, Pruitt, Dowdell and Green.
he is not born over seas
he is not spurs material

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Something about this guy screams flash in the pan. I'm sure he's good and could be a decent pro, but he was expecting to pull out after the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp and was just doing it for visibility for next year, but then suddenly did very well. This seems a product of hype at this point.

Darkwaters
06-22-2007, 11:25 PM
I really have no interest in this guy. Unless there is a ridiculous two for one special on backup PGs in the late first round and hes all thats left then I don't think I'm even interested. Even then....I'd probably try for Papaloukas and/or Aaron Miles before him. Not to mention Vaughn.

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
The DX mock draft has had us drafting this guy with the #33 pick for a few days now...

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
The DX mock draft has had us drafting this guy with the #33 pick for a few days now...

Yeah, ahead of both Gabe Pruitt AND Zabian Dowdell. Somehow I think DX has it twisted...

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Did Sessions even work out for the Spurs?

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Did Sessions even work out for the Spurs?

Believe he worked out alongside Dowdell once and they may have had him in a second time, so it's not totally unfounded.

But, to take this kid in front of both Pruitt and Dowdell...doubt it happens.

timvp
06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah, Sessions has worked out with the Spurs. Honestly, I'd rather have Pruitt, Dowdell, Green and probably Brooks, too.

T Park
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Dowdell is by far and away the guy to get.

Theres no question about it.

Mr. Body
06-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Dowdell is by far and away the guy to get.

Theres no question about it.

Agree.