PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Tiago Splitter

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2007/tiago_splitter.jpg

Full Name: Tiago Splitter Beirns
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-11 / 232
Birthdate: January 1, 1985 (Joinville, Brazil)
High School:
Team: Tau Cerámica Vitoria (Spain)

nbadraft.net profile (http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/tiagosplitter.html)
nba.com profile (http://www.nba.com/draft2007/profiles/TiagoSplitter.html)
draftexpress.com profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=25)

Phenomanul
06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
He's not even the best big man on his 'current' team....

Mr. Body
06-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Funniest thing in the world would be to draft this guy and then bring him over before Scola.

WalterBenitez
06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
hmm tiago is great, I'll let hime in Europe for a while a bring here Luis Scola.

Darkwaters
06-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Depending on what happens with the rest of our players, I would have no problem drafting him. The funny thing is that hes definitely more prepared to contribute than Mahinmi. If we picked him up who would make the roster first? The Brazilian or Frenchman?

exstatic
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm bored with Tiago Splitter, although he finally can't withdraw from the draft this year. Dude has pulled out more times than a Catholic practicing birth control.

Mr. Body
06-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Not much of a shot blocker, is he?

velik_m
06-21-2007, 02:20 AM
He's good, but overrated.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm bored with Tiago Splitter, although he finally can't withdraw from the draft this year. Dude has pulled out more times than a Catholic practicing birth control.
:lol Yeah, I wrote him off after the second time he pulled out. It's such an old story that I don't care if he's good or not anymore :lol

jag
06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlrqMS7tp-A

Solid D
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Having watched Splitter several times over the years, I would pass. I haven't seen enough true basketball contribution from him to consider him. He may never get beyond the "Potential" stage in the NBA.

AFBlue
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
The Suns and Sixers, as well as a few other teams are looking to sell their picks or go international, so they don't have more rookies on the team and more $$ on the books. It's likely that Tiago is not available at #28.

timvp
06-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Having watched Splitter several times over the years, I would pass. I haven't seen enough true basketball contribution from him to consider him. He may never get beyond the "Potential" stage in the NBA.

How would you rank Splitter, Fazekas, McRoberts, Sean Williams and Gray?

Thanks. :smokin

pad300
06-25-2007, 05:07 PM

My Rankings:

NO: Williams - way too much of head case. Gray - Plodding is being kind. Glacially slow...

MAYBE: Fazekas - good offensive fit, can really shoot, can he defend effectively vs. NBA Atheletes?? Splitter - Haven't seen enough personally. On various internet reports - a yes.

YES : McRoberts - Can do just about anything (as a PF) so long as you don't ask him to lead...Almost another Sheed - long, relatively athletic, many skills (even better passing, worse low post offense), has a tendency to drift to the perimeter on offense. He needs to go inside more and utilize his full gifts... Less of an apparent head-case.

Solid D
06-25-2007, 05:37 PM

In this order...
Fazekas
McRoberts
Splitter
Williams
Gray

Fazekas and McRoberts have shown they are real difference-makers in competitive games. McRoberts has wonderful upside but Fazekas is a better all-around basketball player. Fazekas is a guy any coach would want on their team and he can score from all over. Splitter hasn't impressed me like McRoberts has. Williams is a great athlete and is a better defensive player than his more-noticeable former teammate Dudley...Dudley makes stuff happen offensively though. Gray has size.

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2007, 05:56 PM
When he started playing in Brazil NT everybody here expected Tiago to be better than Nene and Varejao. But like Solid D said since 2002 or 2003 he's on the "Potential" stage.

But he's a guy who works hard and if the Spurs can get him he can be a solid backup big man in his 2nd year.

In a interview here in Brazil he said it's going to be tough to get of of his Tau contract next year

drmvp
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Bump.

ducks
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Tiago Splitter| Center Height:7-0 Weight:245
Hometown:Brazil

2007 NBA Draft
Scouting Report

Thursday June 28, 2007
Player: Tiago Splitter
Team: San Antonio Spurs

Round1 Overall28
NBA Draft Home | DraftTracker

Strengths: Splitter is an outstanding defender with an NBA-ready body. His size and strength allow him to be an outstanding on-the-ball defender, yet he still does an excellent job rotating. Splitter is an excellent shot blocker for a European player and is a proven winner. He finishes well inside, often obtaining the vast majority of his points off of drop offs and offensive rebounds.

Weaknesses: Splitter lacks a variety of low post moves and is a bit mechanical on the blocks. He is not very aggressive on the offensive end, rarely taking more then 10 shots in a game. Splitter is a very poor free-throw shooter, hitting barely over 50 percent of his attempts. His shooting range is limited and his accuracy is inconsistent.

Outlook: Splitter will see himself drafted somewhere in the late lottery to mid first round. ACB playoffs will delay his arrival to the U.S. to work out for NBA teams. An ACB championship for Tau, combined with a strong performance by Splitter, might be enough to solidify him as a lottery prospect.

DraftExpress covers the NBA Draft for Rivals.com. Their work can also be found at www.draftexpress.com.

SuperManu!!!
06-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Tiago is a great player. I can't belive we got him!!!!

ducks
06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Funniest thing in the world would be to draft this guy and then bring him over before Scola.
damm you
you might be right

ashbeeigh
06-28-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjeWYbfxBs&mode=related&search=

vander
06-28-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlrqMS7tp-A

not even a little bit impressed

Aud21946
06-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Ironic, that we got two players on the same team in Europe.Maybe we should buy this team instead of the Toros!

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Tiago Splitter| Center Height:7-0 Weight:245
Hometown:Brazil

2007 NBA Draft
Scouting Report

Thursday June 28, 2007
Player: Tiago Splitter
Team: San Antonio Spurs

Round1 Overall28
NBA Draft Home | DraftTracker

Strengths: Splitter is an outstanding defender with an NBA-ready body. His size and strength allow him to be an outstanding on-the-ball defender, yet he still does an excellent job rotating. Splitter is an excellent shot blocker for a European player and is a proven winner. He finishes well inside, often obtaining the vast majority of his points off of drop offs and offensive rebounds.

Weaknesses: Splitter lacks a variety of low post moves and is a bit mechanical on the blocks. He is not very aggressive on the offensive end, rarely taking more then 10 shots in a game. Splitter is a very poor free-throw shooter, hitting barely over 50 percent of his attempts. His shooting range is limited and his accuracy is inconsistent.

Outlook: Splitter will see himself drafted somewhere in the late lottery to mid first round. ACB playoffs will delay his arrival to the U.S. to work out for NBA teams. An ACB championship for Tau, combined with a strong performance by Splitter, might be enough to solidify him as a lottery prospect.

DraftExpress covers the NBA Draft for Rivals.com. Their work can also be found at www.draftexpress.com.

I heard on local Dallas sports radio that the Mavs were hoping this guy would have slipped to them. Also, Don Nelson and the Warriors brass had their eye on him as well.

Seeing as how he's gonna be tied up to his current team for a while, I guess I'm split on the decision to take this guy! Of course, he fits right into the vaunted '08 plan.

ducks
06-28-2007, 10:08 PM
intersting

KEDA
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
:pctoss

Tigole Bitties
06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
awesome... another poor free throw shooter

pad300
06-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Ironic, that we got two players on the same team in Europe.Maybe we should buy this team instead of the Toros!

Did we just declare war on Tau Ceramica or what? Thats BOTH their starting post players (Scola, Splitter) who we will likely be taking by buyout in the next 2 years.

Splitters buyout is undefined in 2007, so he won't be for this year, but next year (summer 2008), it is only $1,000,000 (or at least that is what I have been told)...

ploto
06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
In a interview here in Brazil he said it's going to be tough to get of of his Tau contract next year

:lol One thing you got to say for Tau- they sure know how to word their contracts.

A.H 21-50
06-28-2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQE52KLkN_0&mode=related&search=

koopa
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
smh, i guess another year without repeating, i hate the logic the spurs front office use, it's fucking retarded to keep the roster the same, especially when it's the oldest in the nba........... we won't make it out of the second round cause most are players are fucking useless....... fuck i hate pop and rc, they can't draft for shit, they hit gold with parker and manu, but other then that they are pretty overrated when it comes to getting actual talent......... i guess we'll have to wait till 09 to get another shot at a title

Aud21946
06-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I thought you knew .. Every odd year the Spurs a lock for the title.

Sec24Row7
06-28-2007, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQE52KLkN_0&mode=related&search=

Well... that tells me he can dunk...

Thats always a plus for a 6'11" guy...

ducks
06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
maybe spurs picked him to put pressure on tau to let reduce scola buyout

koopa
06-28-2007, 10:36 PM
fuck scola, he's a bum too, he ain't gonna do much for us, he's better off being traded for actual talent

Solid D
06-28-2007, 10:38 PM
The Spurs need to buy Tau Ceramica, next.

Solid D
06-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Splitter and Scola were subbed-in for each other in some of the Tau games I saw.

ducks
06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
intersting

Switchman
06-28-2007, 10:54 PM
hahahaha. Maybe the Spurs just want to fuck with Scola/Scola's Agent.

Zarko
06-28-2007, 11:19 PM
a perfect addition that we can stash and carry on our 2008 plan

why all the hate? there really was no sure thing left at that point in the draft

koopa
06-28-2007, 11:20 PM
fuck the 2008 plan, it's retarded, no big names never want to come here, we only get has been big names wanting to win a ring......

AFBlue
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Simply put...

You had to think the Spurs were going to go international or trade the pick unless they found a player that they absolutely LOVED at #28.

And if it had to be an international....better Splitter than Fesenko or Stanko or Koponen or whoever else.

Despite being in this draft seemingly a dozen times, Splitter has shown enough to be a lottery-type talent...and the Spurs got him at the ass-end of the first round.

He doesn't need to dominate offensively....just show the ability to block, rebound, and pick up defensive schemes.

Given what was available and knowing the Spurs would probably not go domestic....I'm extremely satisfied with this pick. What this means for Scola though....

K-State Spur
06-28-2007, 11:30 PM
fuck the 2008 plan, it's retarded, no big names never want to come here, we only get has been big names wanting to win a ring......

Well, considering that we have only had the cap room for one since 2003, and of all the teams in the league, we were in great shape with him, but ultimately the fact that the Nets could pay him more won out...

Money316
06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
The Spurs need to buy Tau Ceramica, next.
Only if Peter Holt is drunk.

timvp
06-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Well, it's not a surprise that the Spurs went the draft 'n stash route out 28. Some of us have been saying this is what the Spurs would do for months now.

Tiago Splitter was a bit of an odd pick to draft 'n stash considering the Spurs depth at the bigman position. But I guess you can never have too many bigs in your system.

And really, the Spurs should have a great scouting report on this guy. With Scola on Tau, they've probably watched this guy pretty closely for four or five years now. This was far from a shot in the dark.

I don't think Splitter has huge upside. However, I do think he could play at an Oberto level down the road. Perhaps one day Splitter and Scola will replace Oberto and Elson.

It was certainly a boring pick because Splitter has been a known quantity forever but it was a safe, solid pick. It was about as safe of a pick as a team can make in the late first round.

Splitter is an NBA quality player. The problem is his upside is limited . . . but he's right now better than Elson, so can't complain much.

SequSpur
06-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm going up stairs to do the Tiago Splitter... :smokin

Kori Ellis
From what I've read, Splitter cannot be bought out this summer - there's no buyout option. If the Spurs want him the following year, the buyout is $1M.

Bruno
I'm thrilled with this pick.
Getting a player like Splitter at 28 is a steal.

T Park
06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
I dont understand how a guy at 22 can have no upside.

picnroll
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Splitter looks a helluva lot more athletic than Oberto though doubtful he'll have the IQ maybe ever. To me he moves and plays a bit like Biedrins on D and gets his points on opportunities like Biedrins. But he looks like he can get stronger than Biedrins.

timvp
06-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I dont understand how a guy at 22 can have no upside.

Splitter hasn't really improved since the onset of puberty. He's been the same player for like five years now.

That said, once upon a time Splitter was considered a top three pick in the entire NBA draft a couple seasons ago. He just never really matured since then ... thus his stock fell.

But he's solid. Not spectacular, but solid.

Money316
06-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Think about what you just said retard.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/lilmiss_84/retard.jpg

Freelancer
06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
#21 Tiago Splitter
Birthdate: 1/1/85
NBA Position: Power Forward
Ht: 6-11
Wt: 236
Int Team: Tau Vitoria
Hometown: Blumenau, Brazil ACB Stats

NBA comparison: PJ Brown

Strengths: In 3 years will surely be a top 5 player internationally, he has the typically strong Brazilian offense game. He's a scorer, and can shoot from everywhere on the court. He plays one-on-one very well, has nice moves around the basket where he usually finishes with power plays. He has excellent mobility and great foot work for a player his size. He already has more international experience than Nene and Anderson combined. His future is at the SF position, so you can imagine the troubles that a 6-11 guy can cause in this situation. It's possible that he is not finished growing!

Weaknesses: His body still very weak to play the PF position. He has problems defending stronger guys and playing post up on offense, has to improve his timing on rebounds and his patience on defense. His defense can improve a lot playing in Europe and his body will certainly develop.

Notes: Made the Brazilian National team as a 17 years old and competed in the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis. Very athletic player. Prefers to play on the outside. Shies away from contact. A bigtime scorer. Somewhat similar to Kirilenko with his rangy frame. Has a ways to go skill-wise.

-Vinicius Fontana
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFENSIVE SKILLS: A right-handed player with a great amount of technical and physical skills. His best virtue is his versatility. He can play in the paint where he has excellent agility and coordination and some developing post moves. He also has the ability to step out on the perimeter, where he has an acceptable medium and long range shot. He can handle the ball and take players off the dribble to the rim. However the team prefers him to stay in the paint, where he is playing more often.

DEFFENSIVE SKILLS: Tiago has a very intimidating body. He's a tough defender and is a good rebounder, on both sides of the court. He can block shots. He has great concentration while he defends and it shows that he has a good attitude while he defends and a mature player.

PHISYCAL CHARACTERISTICS: A very athletic player with well defined muscles, because of this he's physical both defensively and offensively. He is very quick running the floor on fast breaks.

WEAKNESSES: He has to improve his free, medium and long distance shot. He has to become better at finishing. Defensively he must control his intensity and not get into foul trouble.

Killer - Solobasket.com -- Tiago Splitter : "The last Brazilian pearl"

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/tiagosplitter.asp

This is from the '06 draft. Seems like a decent enough pick at 28. Not sure about the sf part though.

Rynospursfan
06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
I love the pick, fits the 08/09 plan very well. Bring both him and Scola over next year. The Spurs own the best front court in Europe, that is not a bad thing at all.

I really don't get people who think we are not going to repeat because we picked Splitter. Was Alando Tucker going to bring us another championship? Get real.

SequSpur
06-28-2007, 11:42 PM
:lmao

Bruno
06-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Splitter measurements (2004 pre draft camp) :
Height wihtout shoes : 6' 10.25"
Height with shoes : 6' 11.75"
Weight : 233 lbs
Wingspan : 7' 2"
Standing reach : 9' 1.5"

Obstructed_View
06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
So is 6' 11" a long enough three?

Bruno
06-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Splitter isn't at all a SF, he is a PF/C.

SenorSpur
06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Fuck Scola. I've just about had it with all this hype surrounding him. Draft picks that are stashed overseas cannot be used as assets in trades. Thsi is why the club has very limited tradeable assets -that and because most all their players are older.

timvp
06-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I've never seen anything from Splitter that indicates he could play small forward. That writer needs to put down the sauce.

He transitions to a center on the Spurs with a decent inside game and a decent outside game. Basically, he's just a solid basketball player. That's the bottomline with him.

GrandeDavid
06-29-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm happy we got Splitter, and yes I'm biased.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Imagine for the 08-09 season.
C OBERTO/BUTLER/SPLITTER
PF DUNCAN/SCOLA/MAHINMI

T Park
06-29-2007, 12:03 AM
the only good thing about him is hes 22.

Other than that. hes a center that shys from contact, and he rebounds poorly.

Uh, didn't we just fucking trade that away last summer?

Christ.

wildbill2u
06-29-2007, 12:22 AM
He looks like he can play at both PF behind Tim and at C. Mobile and has good hands on the pick and roll. He was touted much higher than 28 on most mock drafts with DX picking him at 21.

He'll easily replace Elson in another year. This was a lucky pick.

AFBlue
06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
the only good thing about him is hes 22.

Other than that. hes a center that shys from contact, and he rebounds poorly.

Uh, didn't we just fucking trade that away last summer?

Christ.

Actually one of the main strengths most scouts list is that he DOESN'T shy away from contact, does rebound AND shot-block very well.

FirebatMIV
06-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Actually one of the main strengths most scouts list is that he DOESN'T shy away from contact, does rebound AND shot-block very well.

By bringing out professional, published opinions, you are clearly personally attacking TPark, and therefore, should scroll.

timvp
06-29-2007, 12:32 AM

Actually, he had only six blocks in 20 Euroleague games this season. And his rebounding is not that much better than Scola. He gets a decent amount of steals but turns the ball over a lot and hands out few assists. Also can't hit free throws.

He's a decidedly worse prospect than Scola, however he's younger so theoretically he has room to improve.

Stats:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=bas

P.S.

And to our international posters, where can we find more Scola vs. Splitter stats? Thanks.

AFBlue
06-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Actually, he had only six blocks in 20 Euroleague games this season. And his rebounding is not that much better than Scola. He gets a decent amount of steals but turns the ball over a lot and hands out few assists. Also can't hit free throws.

He's a decidedly worse prospect than Scola, however he's younger so theoretically he has room to improve.

Stats:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/teams/showteamstats?clubcode=bas

P.S.

And to our international posters, where can we find more Scola vs. Splitter stats? Thanks.

Cut me deep.... :depressed

I was just repeating what I'd read from scouting reports....

T Park
06-29-2007, 12:37 AM
6 rebounds a game in Euroleague.

WHEW!! THATS NESTEROVIC ESQUE!!!

HOT DAMN RC!!!

:rolleyes

whottt
06-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Cut me deep.... :depressed

I was just repeating what I'd read from scouting reports....

Hey...at least Scola looks like a good propect now.

whottt
06-29-2007, 12:42 AM
It really doesn't matter if Splitter sucks or not...what maters is...when do the Brazilian chicks get here?

That's all that matters...

Solid D
06-29-2007, 12:43 AM
No way Splitter is a 3. He's most effective on the inside...at both ends. Splitter isn't a bad player at all...he's a good player. It's just that he hasn't been spectacular and he's just been Mr. Potential since he started playing pro ball at 17 years of age.

timvp
06-29-2007, 12:44 AM
At least it looks like Splitter outplayed Scola in the Euroleague Final Four. Scola had 20 points and 12 rebounds on 50% shooting in two games. Splitter had 17 points and 14 rebounds on 61.5% shooting.

Not the greatest of sample size, though :)

timvp
06-29-2007, 12:46 AM
No way Splitter is a 3. He's most effective on the inside...at both ends.

Do you think Splitter is a solid NBA prospect who is currently on the level of Francisco Elson? And do you think that picking Splitter will one day be viewed as a good pick?

El_Mago
06-29-2007, 12:47 AM
I really like what the Spurs have been doing.

Ian, Sanikidze, Scola, Tiago, Sergei, etc....

Of course these guys are not going to have amazing stats in Europe.

What people do not understand is that there are usually players on the Euro squads (especially big teams like Tau, CSKA, and Macabi) that are very good, but are placed on the bench because the coaches prefer older players.

Thus, the stats are little skewed.

Splitter is a great prospect. He has strong international experience. He has great hands, can run the floor great, play the passing lines, effective inside 12 ft, and can cause matchup problems.

Once again, if he would of stayed in the past 3 drafts...he would of been lottery material.

The Spurs got themselves a stud.

Right now, he is better than Ian.

AFBlue
06-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Do you think Splitter is a solid NBA prospect who is currently on the level of Francisco Elson? And do you think that picking Splitter will one day be viewed as a good pick?

Again...this is from what I read, so I'll state that up front....

But, apparently Splitter is a very cerebral player, and has an understanding of where to be on the court. This would make him an upgrade, in that respect, over Elson...who often misses rotations, etc.

SpursChampsIII
06-29-2007, 01:14 AM
smh, i guess another year without repeating, i hate the logic the spurs front office use, it's fucking retarded to keep the roster the same, especially when it's the oldest in the nba........... we won't make it out of the second round cause most are players are fucking useless....... fuck i hate pop and rc, they can't draft for shit, they hit gold with parker and manu, but other then that they are pretty overrated when it comes to getting actual talent......... i guess we'll have to wait till 09 to get another shot at a title

Yea, fvk the Spurs...Pop has no idea what he is doing, players are overrated, blah blah blah. Are you drunk, stupid, or both?

Money316
06-29-2007, 01:24 AM
TPark -- I heard they just traded Splitter too. Now back away from the monitor dude.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2007, 01:25 AM
We need a shotblocker. There weren't many outside the lottery this year.

whottt
06-29-2007, 01:27 AM
We need a shotblocker. There weren't many outside the lottery this year.

Some of us saw a good shotblocking prospect in the NBA earlier this season...some of us begged the Spurs to sign him and put him in the D-League....

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, if he DEFINATELY comes over next year? Eh, its all good.

I just don't see how a guy that sounds like Rasho's latin brother, makes sense.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Some of us saw a good shotblocking prospect in the NBA earlier this season...some of us begged the Spurs to sign him and put him in the D-League....Agreed. There were two actually.

whottt
06-29-2007, 01:28 AM
TPark..fuck the haters...first time there's a Brazil GTG...we're there man :tu

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Agreed. There were two actually.

They can sign Noel and he can just come in to block shots and defend 3/4's.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2007, 01:30 AM
They can sign Noel and he can just come in to block shots and defend 3/4's.I wouldn't complain. They just need to get one of those types. Avis Wyatt had a crappy camp, but he still has potential too.

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:30 AM
TPark..fuck the haters...first time there's a Brazil GTG...we're there man

:lol

I'll split the airfare with ya and Im there :lol

They can sign Noel and he can just come in to block shots and defend 3/4's.

Tell him to make his name seem more european and hes IN!!!

Money316
06-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Yeah, if he DEFINATELY comes over next year? Eh, its all good.

I just don't see how a guy that sounds like Rasho's latin brother, makes sense.
We won a championship with Rasho pendejo.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Tell him to make his name seem more european and hes IN!!!

He's Belizean - isn't that close enough? :p:

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:34 AM
We won a championship with Rasho pendejo

sigh... You kids can't resist can you.

Rasho sitting on the bench as a 12th man, yes that spurs team did win.

koopa
06-29-2007, 01:34 AM
how can this dude be compared to rasho when most scouting reports say he moves well for a big man??? and comparing anyone to rasho is just plain mean

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:35 AM
how can this dude be compared to rasho when most scouting reports say he moves well for a big man??? and comparing anyone to rasho is just plain mean

Low rebounding, supposedly doesn't like contact.

Who does that sound like?

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:35 AM
He's Belizean - isn't that close enough?

He needs a more belizean name :lol

ChumpDumper
06-29-2007, 01:37 AM
I've seen him play several games. He never distiguished himself, but he never made me think of Rasho. Kornel David did though.

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:39 AM
The thing I look at is hes 22.

If hes brought over next year, hes 23 24.

At the very least the coaching staff and England can work with the guy and practicing against Duncan doesn't hurt.

but damn some of these prospects need to be brought over and either need to show that they can produce or cut bait with em.

The team needs an infusion of youth. Winning a ring doesn't make it any less true.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
What an underwhelming pick. I suppose he plays good position defense, since he has the reputation and can't block shots. Another fucking foreign player and another guy to somehow wrestle away from the Tau stranglehold.

jag
06-29-2007, 01:42 AM
What an underwhelming pick. I suppose he plays good position defense, since he has the reputation and can't block shots. Another fucking foreign player and another guy to somehow wrestle away from the Tau stranglehold.

I'm not sure who would have been better. This guy was considered a steal.

Money316
06-29-2007, 01:43 AM
He needs a more belizean name :lol
I guess you think you're funny?

:dramaquee

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Will this guy play for the Brazilian national team in Vegas?

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure who would have been better. This guy was considered a steal.

By who? Do you realize who was still on the board at that pick?

whottt
06-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Rasho was pretty damn talented, on both sides of the ball. There's really wasn't much Rasho couldn't do if he wanted to do it. He just didn't give a damn about doing it.

IMO our Slovenians like to hit the bars...a lot, and aren't really worried about bringing their A game because they are happy just to be getting paid a lot of money and be in the NBA. And they are more worried about the nightlife than they are justifying their guranteed pay. It's not about talent with either of them.

ChumpDumper
By who? Do you realize who was still on the board at that pick?Other low first round players.

T Park
Was it !!!!!!

T Park
06-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Rasho was pretty damn talented, on both sides of the ball. There's really wasn't much Rasho couldn't do if he wanted to do it. He just didn't give a damn about doing it.

IMO our Slovenians like to hit the bars...a lot, and aren't really worried about bringing their A game because they are happy just to be getting paid a lot of money and be in the NBA. It's not about talent with either of them.

True.

Time I guess will show if Splitter is a partier or a serious baller.

himat
06-29-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't why the Pistons just put themselves in a logjam at G I was expecting this guy to be drafted by the Pistons...

If his whole contract situation gets worked out I am sure he will be good for the Spurs. His name has been spread around the last 1 or 2 years about the NBA, so he should be solid for you guys.

jag
06-29-2007, 01:59 AM

By anyone who follows prospects and was alive last year. He could have possibly been a lottery pick last year, not to mention he was in the mid teens in most mock drafts this year. I just saw a quote from Pop saying he couldnt believe splitter was still on the board.

dbestpro
06-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Wow! I guess I've been giving some of the people around here way too much respect on their opinions of players. Most of you sound like grade school kids who have been reading the Sports Illustrated. Fact is Tiago would have been a lottery pick last year and would have been one next year. You can't look at stats of the Euro leagues and think it equates to NBA standards. The Spurs got a stud. Hands down the best pick left and probably should have been drafter 5-10 picks higher. U.S. college ballers out of the top 5 would only see 10-15 minutes a game in the Euro leagues. You think Spurs fans would know better by now. Also, look out for the kid from Greece. He plays like Luke Walton with three point range.

zekes
06-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Kornel David did though.

My family and I take offense to that statement. :p: And its David Kornel to you.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Im wondering if Tiago is thought of along the same lines as Nenad.

If so, then Tiago might be alright.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 02:15 AM
Calling Splitter a stud is somewhat laughable. He'll be a serviceable player. I'm confident about that - he's athletic, has skills, has a motor - but to call him a stud is really pushing it. He was considered a lottery pick last year - and I'd like to see the link to that - because last year's draft was one of the lousiest in years. Joakim Noah was considered number one overall, as you'll remember.

Getting Splitter is a kind of sideways move. He'll replace the aging bigs like Elson, will bring in new advantages and disadvantages. He'll not be very expensive... if he comes over. That's the key, getting it to happen. Drafting him is only about a quarter of the business.

dbestpro
06-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Elementary school kids should be in bed by this time of night. Put down your copies of S.I. and jusy know that Parker and Ginobili were over looked too.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Uh Body...

Whos calling him a stud?

timvp
06-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Wow! I guess I've been giving some of the people around here way too much respect on their opinions of players. Most of you sound like grade school kids who have been reading the Sports Illustrated. Fact is Tiago would have been a lottery pick last year and would have been one next year. You can't look at stats of the Euro leagues and think it equates to NBA standards. The Spurs got a stud. Hands down the best pick left and probably should have been drafter 5-10 picks higher. U.S. college ballers out of the top 5 would only see 10-15 minutes a game in the Euro leagues. You think Spurs fans would know better by now. Also, look out for the kid from Greece. He plays like Luke Walton with three point range.

Show some respect for the Raptor.

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Too bad the kid from Greece is a Raptor and not a Spur.

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 02:27 AM
Uh Body...

Whos calling him a stud?

Uh... post #106. Do you read these threads?

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:29 AM
So its a euro's opinion.

God chill.

BradLohaus
06-29-2007, 02:47 AM

I assume you have Derrick Byars in mind. I assume that he killed someone today to drop to the 40's.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2007, 02:49 AM
So its a euro's opinion.

God chill.

Who's euro?

T Park
06-29-2007, 02:55 AM
I mis wrote that.

I meant, thats an opinion on a euro. :lol

Honest.

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2007, 03:03 AM
I like this pick. No 1st round guarantee money, and bring him over next year after Horry retires. Very savvy on the Spurs' part.

timvp
06-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Decent Splitter YouTubes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jQE52KLkN_0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIxHb1c7WQU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OxF2juGdZk4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XFjeWYbfxBs

koopa
06-29-2007, 03:20 AM
those videos show why you can't compare him to rasho, rasho can't dunk for shit, and rasho can't even run

BeerIsGood!
06-29-2007, 03:26 AM
They guy's got some quickness to go along with his size. If he increases his skill set and develops a low post game he could be extremely productive and be considered a steal at 28.

For the near future I like his length and mobility as a defensive center next to TD. He may not be a great shotblocker, but taught properly in the Spurs system he can alter a hell of a lot of shots and clean the glass.

Nikos
06-29-2007, 05:24 AM
I see reports comparing him to PJ Brown. Might this be accurate considering he doesn't have good shot blocking, but is known to have good quickness laterally?

Here is his detailed profile if not posted already....

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=25

Is he going to come over this season?

Solid D
06-29-2007, 06:06 AM

Yes, he is a solid NBA prospect. I think he is a better inside player than Elson. He has a bigger base and he appears stronger than Francisco. He's more skilled than Javtokas but he doesn't blow you away with his talent. He can play in the NBA, especially in the Spurs' passing game. I don't see him as someone worthy of drawing a double in the post just yet.

milkyway21
06-29-2007, 06:24 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6940462_36_1.jpg Jordan impersonator :oops :smokin

wildbill2u
06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
In one of the You tube vids, a playoff game, Scola goes out because of foul trouble and Splitter takes over the game for Tau, scoring and picking up some steals. He plays the pick and roll great with good hands and showed he could score with his left hand as well.

Showed some meanness on his picks too which I like. I think this is a solid pick. He'll be able to play 4&5.

He might just be agile and fast enough to guard a certain 7 footer in Dallas. Wouldn't that be a plus?

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Why doesn't he block shots?

gus
06-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Who's euro?

Although Thiago ( That his player name in Brazil) in not European, he is Euroleague or European player, because he developed there and so on. Manu and the other Argentineans in the NBA are also Euro. Leandro Barbosa and Nene are not Euros and some of our players in the NT going to Vegas are not Euros.

Gus

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Believe he has a Spanish passport, too. Therefore Euro.

gus
06-29-2007, 09:13 AM
My problem with T. Splitter is that he is not a good offensive player. But he is solid ( More solid than more of the remainder of the draft ).

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Splitter hasn't really improved since the onset of puberty. He's been the same player for like five years now.

That said, once upon a time Splitter was considered a top three pick in the entire NBA draft a couple seasons ago. He just never really matured since then ... thus his stock fell.

But he's solid. Not spectacular, but solid.

That's true.

When he started here inBrazil everyone thought he'd be better than Nene and Varejao.

I hope he can get to San Antonio soon because he didn't improve in all those years with Tau

wildbill2u
06-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Why doesn't he block shots?He seems to play much better on offense than defense. I'm not saying he'll ever be a Canby but defense can be taught if he has the right attitude.

In the playoff game I saw which was an extended vid of nine actual running minutes and not a highlight reel, he played pretty well on defense actually with two steals. I think he had one block. That's not bad for a 7 footer.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I love this pick up, it's just too damn bad we won't see him till 08-09

FUCK TAU

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 10:37 AM
The more I read about this guy the more excited I get about this pick. This guy sounds like a perfect fit in our system.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 10:40 AM
This is a horrible pick. Josh McRoberts was available? And they pick the only guy that has been stuck treading water for the last 7 years?

He already maxed out his potential, that's it

Atl Spur
06-29-2007, 10:49 AM
This is a horrible pick. Josh McRoberts was available? And they pick the only guy that has been stuck treading water for the last 7 years?

Josh McRoberts! Are you serious? :depressed You don't know what he bring to the table against NBA level comp. Splitter hasn't been the second coming granted, but he has been playing ball for far more years on a higher level than any collegiate player! Pops a great coach for a reason, if there is some talent there(7 ft and mobile) pop will get it out! You are who you hang around; players will adapt to our system and way. Check with me in three years when this cat is 25 and being a great addition. :spin

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Tiago Splitter was a bit of an odd pick to draft 'n stash considering the Spurs depth at the bigman position.

what depth besides TD ? LMAO

Oberto is 30+ and on his last legs
Horry is 35+ and doesn't play until the playoffs, plus will retire after 1 year
Elson is 30+ and showed he's only good enough to play when Oberto is in fould trouble
Bulter is young but is still a project

Splitter is perfect for the Spurs, a YOUNG center with lots of international/Euro L experience, who will come to the Spurs in 08/09

Mr. Body
06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Splitter's been around and talked about for so long, it feels like he's 35 already.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
The guy is 22 and still has plenty of upside. He would have been a top ten lottery pick if he was available for the 07-08 season. I just don't understand what you guys are complaining about.

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 11:41 AM
what depth besides TD ? LMAO

Oberto is 30+ and on his last legs
Horry is 35+ and doesn't play until the playoffs, plus will retire after 1 year
Elson is 30+ and showed he's only good enough to play when Oberto is in fould trouble
Bulter is young but is still a project

Splitter is perfect for the Spurs, a YOUNG center with lots of international/Euro L experience, who will come to the Spurs in 08/09

I wonder...is our future frontcourt going to be something like this?

Duncan/Scola/Mahinmi
Oberto/Splitter/Butler

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Tiago Splitter will be rookie of the year in the 08-09 season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Duncan/Scola/Mahinmi
Oberto/Splitter/Butler
That would be a badass frontcourt. I even posted the same future frontcourt earlier in the thread. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2007, 11:45 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1821879&postcount=62

mountainballer
06-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Duncan/Scola/Mahinmi
Oberto/Splitter/Butler

I don't see a future for Butler with the Spurs. even less with Splitter comming in 2008.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Duncan/Scola/Mahinmi
Oberto/Splitter/Butler

wow, that would be a dream front court. Splitter/Mahinimi will definitely be in Spurs uniforms next season

but I'm starting to believe Scola will NEVER be a Spur, there are rumors he's going to sign a big long term contract with some Spanish team, that would pretty end Scola NBA career

if he doesn't come this year to the Spurs he never will

GrandeDavid
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm going to trust my own eyes and experience, and that of the pro's when guessing how a draftee will turn out, and let the know-nothings smack out unfounded guessing takes on Tiago Splitter. The Spurs got this guy at #28, which is not too shabby:

"It wasn’t a situation where we were just going to take a player and leave him over there. He was No. 2 on our draft board of the picks that were realistic for us, so we were excited to get him." --- R.C. Buford.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062907.01D.BKNspurs.draft.35f7628.html

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't see a future for Butler with the Spurs. even less with Splitter comming in 2008.

I said in another thread that I thought he would get rubbed out after this. But who knows? If he looks good in Summer League then he might stick around.

mardigan
06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I am very happy with the Spurs draft over all. We already knew they would take guys we hadnt been hyping, and they got two young, very talented players that can be coached up in the next few years

GrandeDavid
06-29-2007, 11:55 AM
So I'm guessing that this guy is a potentially good fit for the Spurs. Time will tell.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2007, 12:15 PM
His stock is down a little right now because he had a nagging back injury almost all season that he seems to have recovered from. Thats obviously a concern if it returns, but he's a lot better than most in here think...

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Why doesn't he block shots?

I've read that he doesn't like to sacrifice his position in an attempt to block shots. Much in the same way that Bowen doesn't get a whole lot of steals because he simply holds his position instead of gambling on steals. I can live with that.

T Park
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
The more I read, the more tape I watch, the more I like this splitter kid.

Hes got hops, hes young, I've read hes VERY coachable.

I once again, am very hard to believe that at 22, the kid is maxed out.

I just have never heard of a guy at 17 peaking.

Tony Parker supposedly peaked 2 years ago and he was "what he was"

So when he comes over, I think its exciting to think of the possibilities of him working with brett Brown and Chip England.

Solid D
06-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Nice Scola/Splitter avatar Darkwaters. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=4153&dateline=1183132136.jpg

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Nice Scola/Splitter avatar Darkwaters. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=4153&dateline=1183132136.jpg

I figured it was appropriate now. :toast

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/TiagoSplitter/1176125961.jpg

Solid D
06-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Tiago Splitter will be rookie of the year in the 08-09 season.

:madrun
We need a Hyphy Smilie

Solid D
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Caption Time!

TS - "I'm going to buy out my TAU contract before you!"
LS - "Oh yeah, says who?"

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Splitter - The Spurs have too many Argentines already. They want a player with TALENT.

Scola - Oh yea?! Wheres your gold medal punk?!

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:10 PM

How awesome would that be if you could get em both on this team.

Their chemistry along with playing with Oberto and Ginobili would be fantastic.

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Exactly.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Media here in Brazil are saying that for this season there isn't a buyout deal. So they need to talk and agree on a deal (I doubt it'll happen)

Next season the buyout is $1 mil but if he doen't pay this next season he contract will go automatic until 2012.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 04:22 PM
wow, that would be a dream front court. Splitter/Mahinimi will definitely be in Spurs uniforms next season

What?

Unless Duncan and a random assortment of half way decent players goes for a dream front court these days, i guess im just not following.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Media here in Brazil are saying that for this season there isn't a buyout deal. So they need to talk and agree on a deal (I doubt it'll happen)

Next season the buyout is $1 mil but if he doen't pay this next season he contract will go automatic until 2012.

Yeah I heard that too, which means the FO has to bring him over next year, the problem is, Tiago splitter makes more than 250 K in Tau, so why would he play for that here?

Spurs can pay 500 K his rookie year would be 750 K..... im not even sure if the CBA will allow him to do that with one lump sum.

whottt
06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Kori nailed it...the lack of excitement over this dude is because his name has been in the draft for so many years.

We were even making jokes about it during the draft last night way before the Spurs drafted him.

He was nothing new, old news. But that doesn't mean his game sucks. It just means he's a familiar quantity instead of an unknown and there isn't as much excitment associated with drafting his name at this point.

He was a solid big man pick to get with the 28th pick...I dont't care how you slice it. You just don't see quality bigmen at pick number 28. I'm sure the Spurs would have preferred Oden was available as much as the rest of us...unfortunately he wasn't.

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Well the Spurs can only pay him so much.

He can get 1,7.

The Spurs can only pay 500 grand. Its that simple.

If he comes great, if he doesnt? Its obvious its a wasted pick if its true about the contract going till 2012.

Bruno
06-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Splitter will be paid $971,160 in his first year and $1,044,000 in his second year.
He has a $1M buyout and Spurs can pay $500K of this buyout.
Splitter must pay $500k with a $2M guaranteed contract. Even if you count taxes, he should be able to keep a decent salary.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2007, 04:45 PM
SAN ANTONIO SPURS
F TIAGO SPLITTER, BRAZIL— Profile
DIME'S TAKE: Tiago is a guy who's been on the radar for almost half a decade. He's big and rugged, but the Spurs don't need him right now. You won't see Tiago for at least a year.
SCHRAGER ON THE SCENE: My man, Tiago! As most readers know, I'm a big Splitter guy. For no other reason than the fact we've been hearing about him for what feels like thirty-five straight drafts. Waiting for this guy to get the NBA has been like waiting for the Guns ‘N Roses "Chinese Democracy" album. You were beginning to think he was just never coming. Naturally, he ends up on the Spurs, where two years from now — he'll probably average 10 and 5 off the bench for an NBA champion. Up in the stands, a guy in a Raul Nike jersey is waving a Brazilian flag. But I'll be honest — he doesn't seem too into it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6972024

T Park
06-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Bruno.

Who does Splitter remind you of? A current or former NBA center that is.

Bruno
06-29-2007, 04:59 PM
People compare him to PJ Brown, I kinda like this comparaison except that Brown is a way better midrange shooter. Splitter is too more energetic than the old PJ Brown.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-29-2007, 08:31 PM
I figured it was appropriate now. :toast

damn would love to see both wearing the silver and black

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 08:56 PM
People compare him to PJ Brown, I kinda like this comparaison except that Brown is a way better midrange shooter. Splitter is too more energetic than the old PJ Brown.

PJ Brown is also pretty soft and doesn't like physical contact. Splitter is said to thrive on it.

Darkwaters
06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Another really good video from youtube on Splitter. This isn't just highlights though. It shows his good plays and mistakes as well from a single game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ikO-JikXw

T Park
06-30-2007, 12:21 AM
PJ Brown is also pretty soft and doesn't like physical contact

Your getting PJ Brown of the Bulls confused with another.

PJ Brown of the Bulls is a Pat Riley desciple.....

gtownspur
06-30-2007, 04:01 AM
The more I read, the more tape I watch, the more I like this splitter kid.

Hes got hops, hes young, I've read hes VERY coachable.

I once again, am very hard to believe that at 22, the kid is maxed out.

I just have never heard of a guy at 17 peaking.

Tony Parker supposedly peaked 2 years ago and he was "what he was"

So when he comes over, I think its exciting to think of the possibilities of him working with brett Brown and Chip England.

What videos of splitter are you watching that are intriguing you. Unless theres a bannana in front of splitter, you aint drooling...

Darkwaters
06-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Your getting PJ Brown of the Bulls confused with another.

PJ Brown of the Bulls is a Pat Riley desciple.....

Perhaps. But I remember the PJ Brown of the Oklahoma City Hornets got tossed around all day long when he played the center. He hated it. Then again, there was no shot blocking on that entire team (after Chris Andersen was kicked out) and so there was always way too much action in the lane.

Solid D
06-30-2007, 09:11 AM
PJ Brown is hard-nosed and a very tough defender for his size. He's getting up in years but the Spurs made a rush to sign him in the summer of '03. He said he and his wife wanted to keep their family and kids in New Orleans and he used the Spurs' offer to get a nice contract extension.

wildbill2u
06-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Duncan/Scola/Mahinmi
Oberto/Splitter/Butler
I always considered the frontcourt to include SF.

Right now we have Bowen/two SGs/ White

the future might look like:

Bowen/Williams/White or

Bowen/white/williams

yavozerb
07-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Hoepfully will play with summer team in mountain revue in butlers spot..

Streakyshooter08
07-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Hoepfully will play with summer team in mountain revue in butlers spot..

Is there a chance that this happens?

remingtonbo2001
07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't know, but I would really like to see that!!! It would be like opening a Christsmas gift the night before Christmas.

Darkwaters
07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Somehow I don't think so. Splitter is a professional player that is well established in Europe. Why should he waste his time on a summer league?

urunobili
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
He's not even the best big man on his 'current' team....

true... Scola is...

urunobili
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM

wrong!!!! Argentine and Brazilians don;t precisely get along and love each other.. it's more of a Maverick/Spurs kind of Rivalry and applied to the soccer world... even worse

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
wrong!!!! Argentine and Brazilians don;t precisely get along and love each other.. it's more of a Maverick/Spurs kind of Rivalry and applied to the soccer world... even worse

shut the fukk up with that stupid logic

these are grown men, not forum posters

DesignatedT
07-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Some interesting takes in this thread also :lol

I love reading old stuff like this but by far my favorite one:

:lmao Mcroberts?????

8FOR!3
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I KNOW RIGHT?? I can't believe we passed on Josh "The Franchise Player" McRoberts...

benefactor
07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice read. I wasn't on the forum yet, so it was good to hear the initial takes. lol TPark.

PingPong
05-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Bump.

:D

Chinook
05-09-2014, 12:09 AM
I love how people said Splitter "maxed out his potential" in Europe when his game there was much more complete than most big's games are throughout their career. If Splitter could play here like he played there, the Spurs would be unstoppable.

Solid D
05-09-2014, 01:51 AM
He's better now than he's ever been, in my view. He's a better FT shooter. He makes more clutch plays than when he was with TAU. Tiago has been very solid this year. He's proving his $9M value in the 2014 playoffs.

Spursfanfromafar
05-09-2014, 01:57 AM
He's better now than he's ever been, in my view. He's a better FT shooter. He makes more clutch plays than when he was with TAU. Tiago has been very solid this year. He's proving his $9M value in the 2014 playoffs.

All I can say to Bill Simmons who ludicrously made the assertion that Splitter was overpaid and the Spurs could have got Robin Lopez for a song instead, is.. Are you watching this series, dude?

DAF86
05-09-2014, 02:58 AM
If he only knew how to finish strong.

capek
05-09-2014, 03:03 AM
If he only knew how to finish strong.

Hey now, he knows how to finish strong. It just always takes 3 or 10 of his weak moves getting destroyed before he gets angry enough to do it. Ime should stand out there during warm ups with a broom, and smack Splitter in the face a couple times while he attempts lay ups. Then, maybe, he'd start the game with that fired up mentality.

Solid D
05-09-2014, 08:30 AM
McRoberts has actually played pretty well the past 2 seasons. He started 78 games at PF alongside Al Jefferson on the Eastern Conf. Playoffs 7th seed. He was a better shooter than Splitter in 2007 and still is, for that matter (He actually hit over 100 3s this season). He's a high assist guy.

Fazekas was a much better shooter in college in 2007, but his foot speed killed him once he got to the NBA.

Splitter has been a real blessing for the Spurs, once he became a starter over Blair last season.

DPG21920
05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
It's really hard to evaluate guys like Splitter IMO - especially early on when he's playing in Europe. Many professional scouts missed on him because of this (look where he was drafted). But players like Tiago (skill based and not athletic) are always very difficult to judge.

Foot speed, lateral quickness and overall athleticism are huge question marks especially for non offensive players. Tiago is an offensive player, but not in the traditional sense where you have to double him and where he has consistent range like most bigs today that are considered "offensive".

He's been fantastic though and fits almost perfectly with the Spurs (but that's a credit to coach Pop, the system and Duncan really changing his game up so Splitter and Tim can coexist on offense).

ducks
05-09-2014, 05:31 PM
look at the spurs d when he is in game and when he is out
splitter killer la

Solid D
05-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Sup, ducks?

AFBlue
05-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Lol, I remember this like it was yesterday tbqh.

PingPong
05-09-2014, 06:48 PM

LoL. This is only between the soccer thugs. And some irrelevant players of Brazilian National Team, as Marcelo Machado. Scola named his so Tiago after Splitter and they are good friends until today.

Ocotillo
05-10-2014, 10:49 AM
It's really hard to evaluate guys like Splitter IMO - especially early on when he's playing in Europe. Many professional scouts missed on him because of this (look where he was drafted). But players like Tiago (skill based and not athletic) are always very difficult to judge.

Tiago dropped to the Spurs because he had a contract that needed to be bought out.

DPG21920
05-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Tiago dropped to the Spurs because he had a contract that needed to be bought out.

That is part of the reason, but why would the Spurs be the only team ok with that contract buyout? Why not any team just before them? It's because he's not an easy player to evaluate. Hell, even most Spurs fans after seeing him play don't realize the impact he has. In the media, because he's not athletic, you get plenty of people scoffing at the idea of Tiago Splitter. His contract situation didn't help, but it's foolish to think it's the only reason the Spurs got him when plenty of other teams spend more money on players than SA does.

T Park
05-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Bump

jag
05-21-2014, 11:44 PM
:lol MannyIsTard

Mugen
05-21-2014, 11:44 PM

spurraider21
05-21-2014, 11:45 PM
:cry i hope he continues to prove me wrong

jag
05-21-2014, 11:46 PM
The guy is unbelievably productive and efficient considering the minutes he gets.

He's a beautiful man, tbh.

T Park
05-21-2014, 11:47 PM

You were saying?

Chinook
05-21-2014, 11:47 PM
:cry i hope he continues to prove me wrong

:cry my standards are not arbitrary

spurraider21
05-21-2014, 11:49 PM
:lmao byron mullens

jag
05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Tiago's were made to be free. I am slowly starting to forgive Pop for keeping him caged during the infamous Grizzlies series.