PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Greg Oden

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2007/greg_oden.jpg

Full Name: Greg Oden
Position: Center
Height/Weight: 7-0 / 250
Birthdate: January 22, 1988 (Indianapolis)
High School: Lawrence North HS (Indianapolis)
College: Ohio State

nbadraft.net profile (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/gregoden.html)
nba.com profile (http://www.nba.com/draft2007/profiles/GregOden.html)
draftexpress.com profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=237)

td4mvp3
06-20-2007, 09:48 PM
scrub. i doubt he gets out before the third round.

exstatic
06-20-2007, 09:49 PM
As if.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-20-2007, 09:50 PM
i heard his ceiling was Shawn Bradley

Steve-O-Matic
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
What's the point of this one? We've got a better chance of drafting Greg Brady than Greg Oden.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
This is a Spurs forum first, but a basketball forum second. If you need a Spurs related reason he's oft compared to DRob.

jaespur21
06-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Now thats comedy :clap

Darkwaters
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM

Wasn't that guy a hall of famer? Thats a pretty good ceiling! :downspin:

spurs1990
06-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Seriously, is there a chance the Spurs can pick him up?

AnkleBreaker21
06-20-2007, 10:34 PM
not a chance in hell

Darkwaters
06-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Seriously, is there a chance the Spurs can pick him up?

Definitely. Some combination of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and the next 20 first rounders will likely do it. We might have to toss in James White to sweeten the deal though.

wildbill2u
06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/draft2007/greg_oden.jpg

Full Name: Greg Oden
Position: Center
Height/Weight: 7-0 / 250
Birthdate: January 22, 1988 (Indianapolis)
High School: Lawrence North HS (Indianapolis)
College: Ohio State

nbadraft.net profile (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/gregoden.html)
nba.com profile (http://www.nba.com/draft2007/profiles/GregOden.html)
draftexpress.com profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=237)
Why are you wasting Kori's bandwidth on draft "prospects" who are not Spurs prospects by any stretch of the imagination? The old draft thread had cut down the prospects list to about 15 players that are realistic possibilities.

ducks
06-20-2007, 10:58 PM
if kori did not like mb to do draft prospects she should not let him
she owns this site not a bunch of want to be people

td4mvp3
06-20-2007, 11:50 PM
if kori did not like mb to do draft prospects she should not let him
she owns this site not a bunch of want to be people
even given that, this one does stretch credulity. if oden is possible, isn't everything on the table? why not just list every draft possibility at that point? even the rationale given is iffy - the site is an nba site second? well, yeah, but there's also an nba forum that this would fit into; the guy is compared to david robinson? that's great but does nothing to the chances the spurs have to draft oden. no one's questioning ownership's ability to let whoever do whatever on their board, but it points to how seriously people take this place. they respect it and want to be shown respect and putting an obviously out-of-reach draft prospect in this forum is just begging people to question the legitimacy of the choice as well as to be defensive about being told to pipe down.

Beno Udrih
06-21-2007, 01:21 AM
I heard on pti that when Oden was in Portland today they said he has one leg longer than the other.

Steve-O-Matic
06-21-2007, 01:26 AM
I heard on pti that when Oden was in Portland today they said he has one leg longer than the other.

Yeah, his third leg.

freedom&justice
06-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Well, he is reportedly a fan of the Admiral, and he admires Tim as well. He's also apparently working on developing a shot patterned after or mimicking Tim's signature bank shot.

Beno Udrih
06-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Yeah, his third leg.
:lol I'm actually being serious. But thanks for throwing in the expected generic joke.

Spurs rock
06-21-2007, 01:50 AM
If he's still there, I say the Spurs should get this dude.

AnkleBreaker21
06-21-2007, 02:26 AM
hes going to be gone with the first or second pick

mathbzh
06-21-2007, 03:02 AM
I want him with the #58 if he is still available :lol

Kori Ellis
06-21-2007, 03:08 AM
even given that, this one does stretch credulity. if oden is possible, isn't everything on the table? why not just list every draft possibility at that point? even the rationale given is iffy - the site is an nba site second? well, yeah, but there's also an nba forum that this would fit into; the guy is compared to david robinson? that's great but does nothing to the chances the spurs have to draft oden. no one's questioning ownership's ability to let whoever do whatever on their board, but it points to how seriously people take this place. they respect it and want to be shown respect and putting an obviously out-of-reach draft prospect in this forum is just begging people to question the legitimacy of the choice as well as to be defensive about being told to pipe down.

Why are you wasting Kori's bandwidth on draft "prospects" who are not Spurs prospects by any stretch of the imagination? The old draft thread had cut down the prospects list to about 15 players that are realistic possibilities

It's one thread that was obviously posted as a joke - everyone knows the Spurs aren't drafting Oden. But you guys could just scroll if you wanted this thread to fall of the front page.

Anyway, the other player threads are all possibilities. The Spurs have three picks, plus will try to trade up, so there's many more than 50 players that the Spurs could choose to draft.

There's a draft directory stuck at the top of the forum that links to each player thread. This is how we do it every summer.

As soon as the draft is over, we'll have dozens and dozens of free agent player threads using the same system.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Seriously, some of you are worse than my wife.

-MB

PM5K
06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Beno Udrih and all of our picks for the next century for Greg Oden, he's an interesting prospect...

td4mvp3
06-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Seriously, some of you are worse than my wife.

-MB
not so ... well, maybe, i don't know your wife so she's probably quite charming just like myself :spin. but to the point of us taking things too seriously, i think we were all going along with the joke until someone said that this is kori's board and so there should be no complaints and then the reasoning given for providing the thread being that thiss was an nba site and oden liked s.a. had anyone just said "just kidding," then this would have been no big deal.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
The threads for the players likely to be picked high in the first round of next week's draft were posted to facilitate discussion about those players in conjunction with SpursTalk.com's draft activites. Those threads were placed in the most highly viewed forum on the site in order for the knowledgeable members of SpursTalk.com to fill up those threads with quality information and discussion about the players in the draft, including those unlikely to be drafted by the Spurs. Surely, I thought, Spurs fans would be able to handle this.

I apologize for wasting Kori & timvp's bandwidth. I'll try to do better next time.

Until then, read, scroll, or take part in what you want to in this forum instead of complaining about it. This forum has many who would complain but how many of you are willing to contribute to keep this as the best forum for NBA discussion on the internets? How many will contribute to make this the best forum for basketball discussion on the planet Earth?

We could have had an informative thread about Oden (of whom I am sure not a lot of Spurs fans know that much about) but instead it's been derailed. Thanks.

-MB

td4mvp3
06-21-2007, 08:52 AM
If I didn't know who he was, I would say he looks about 30.
that would be a compliment. he looks 45.

td4mvp3
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
LOL !! so when he's in his prime at 28, 29, he'll look in his mid-50's....
he'll look like patrick ewing ... today.

ducks
06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
The threads for the players likely to be picked high in the first round of next week's draft were posted to facilitate discussion about those players in conjunction with SpursTalk.com's draft activites. Those threads were placed in the most highly viewed forum on the site in order for the knowledgeable members of SpursTalk.com to fill up those threads with quality information and discussion about the players in the draft, including those unlikely to be drafted by the Spurs. Surely, I thought, Spurs fans would be able to handle this.

I apologize for wasting Kori & timvp's bandwidth. I'll try to do better next time.

Until then, read, scroll, or take part in what you want to in this forum instead of complaining about it. This forum has many who would complain but how many of you are willing to contribute to keep this as the best forum for NBA discussion on the internets? How many will contribute to make this the best forum for basketball discussion on the planet Earth?

We could have had an informative thread about Oden (of whom I am sure not a lot of Spurs fans know that much about) but instead it's been derailed. Thanks.

-MB
I agree alot of what mb posted
why does everyone bitch about everything here?
did spurs lose in the first round to the 8 seed?
bitch about the spurs music
everyone plays you all are ready for this
bitch about what topics should be posted where
bitch about why kori decided to add soem other teams to this forum

this is the only forum that does not have popups
she could have sold it if I am not mistaken for 6 figures
I think people should not bitch that much here
viewing a topic is not talking alot of bandwidth

people's big ass and pictures(especially the ones that people do not crop) in their signatures are

SenorSpur
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM

-MB

Pay no attention to the other prattle, MB

Your efforts in posting this information are truly appreciated.

Good job!

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/basketball/4906940.html

June 20, 2007, 5:45PM
Greg Oden works out for Blazers

By ANNE M. PETERSON AP Sports Writer
© 2007 The Associated Press
Houston Chronicle

PORTLAND, Ore. — Greg Oden admitted he was out of breath after his workout Wednesday for the Portland Trail Blazers. By no means was the 7-foot draft prospect coasting in on his reputation.

"Really, I'm trying to sell them on me, not the other way around," the forward from Ohio State said after a vigorous solo workout.

The Portland Trail Blazers have the No. 1 selection in the June 28th draft. Oden figures to be one of the top picks along with Kevin Durant, a forward out of Texas, who is scheduled to visit the Blazers on Friday.

"All I can do is be me," Oden said.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/03/15/6752447/311xInlineGallery.jpg
Ohio State center Greg Oden gets a slam dunk against Central Connecticut during the first half of a first-round basketball game of the South Regional of the NCAA Tournament in Lexington, Ky., in this March 15, 2007 file photo.Oden is one of the top prospects for the NBA Draft, to take place in New York on June 28. (AP Photo/Ed Reinke)
Ed Reinke: AP

A couple dozen fans stood across the street from the Trail Blazers practice facility south of Portland hoping to catch a glimpse of the Big Man. The media turned out in droves.

Team owner Paul Allen, the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft, sat and watched the workout with general manager Kevin Pritchard. Several players, including Zach Randolph, Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy, and LaMarcus Aldridge also looked on.

"What came out is that he's a really good person who cared about how he did in the workout," Pritchard said. "He's a unique talent. To have an opportunity to get a kid like this is a great opportunity for this organization."

Said Allen: "Seeing Greg in person, it's not just his size, it's his amazing athleticism. You can see the potential there."

Oden was scheduled to meet with team doctors later Wednesday.

After getting a late start in his freshman year at Ohio State because of a wrist injury, Oden led the Buckeyes in scoring (15.7) and rebounding (9.6) and topped the Big Ten in shooting percentage (.616).

The Buckeyes went 35-4 and won the Big Ten's regular-season and tournament titles before advancing to their first national championship game since 1962, where they lost to two-time champion Florida. In the championship game, Oden had 25 points and 12 rebounds.

After his workout with Portland, Oden was asked whether he likened himself more to Shaquille O'Neal or Bill Russell. Without hesitation he answered," Russell."

"Ten fingers, 11 rings," he explained.

Both funny and personable, the 19-year-old smiled broadly after jokingly telling reporters that he'd cry if he wasn't the top pick in the draft.

Oden says he and Durant are pals and trade text messages.

"We're pretty cool," he said. "This year we realized we were going to be connected for a long time."

Oden said he felt immediately welcome in Portland. Roy and Aldridge met Oden and his mother at the airport.

Fellow Ohio State freshman Mike Conley Jr. has also declared himself eligible for the draft. Oden is represented by Conley's father, Mike Conley Sr., who won the Olympic gold medal in the triple jump at the 1992 Games in Barcelona.

Pritchard said the organization is keeping an open mind when it comes to its selection. None of the Blazers' brass was indicating which way the team might be leaning.

"This gives us an incredible opportunity to improve our franchise for the next decade, so you have to be extremely careful," Allen said. "But it's a lot of fun."

tlongII
06-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Excellent thread.

spurs1990
06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Is Oden the next Mykul Jordun?

michaelwcho
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Those numbers mean nothing. What matters is that they can play, and both can play.

Whose numbers were better, Robinson or Duncan? I haven't looked, but I would assume Robinson would beat out Duncan on just about every "measurable". But Duncan is a much better player than DRob.

Supposedly Elson can jump and run faster than everyone but Tony. Do those numbers speak volumes?

td4mvp3
06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
i'm really not looking to arguee about a thread, but i am writing about the uncalled for lambasting evident in this thread.

this not prattle and it's not whining or complaining for no reason. it's about providing honest discussion and feedback and not being labeled some derogutory name for providing an opinion others may disagree with. it is highly unfair to folks who question the need of this thread to be put down and disparaged. for one thing, contradictory statements have been made about the thread.

you cannot have it both ways.

-MB

yeah. it was derailed by kori. she clearly states

It's one thread that was obviously posted as a joke - everyone knows the Spurs aren't drafting Oden. But you guys could just scroll if you wanted this thread to fall of the front page.

Anyway, the other player threads are all possibilities. The Spurs have three picks, plus will try to trade up, so there's many more than 50 players that the Spurs could choose to draft.

There's a draft directory stuck at the top of the forum that links to each player thread. This is how we do it every summer.

As soon as the draft is over, we'll have dozens and dozens of free agent player threads using the same system.

if it's a joke, it's perfectly fine for someone to question presenting it as all the other draft threads and especially to question the reasoning being given to justify it (the issues marcus bryant brought up). thus, it is perfectly fine to derail the thing.

and if it's not a joke, then kori's response was untrue.

i could care less how things are set up, how many thread you start, whose bandwidth is being wasted, but i do care about showing respect and being honest to the people who use the board. calling someone a whiner or saying they are just complaining without contributing is unnecessary. that's true whether kori is correct, in which their questions are perfectly valid; or if bryant is correct, in which the confusion caused by kori's explaination would cause someone to take this thread as a joke instead of something for serious consideration.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2007, 11:48 AM
td4mvp3 is turning into one of the biggest nags on the board. His nagging is compounded by his inability to capitalize - which makes his posts nearly unbearable to read.

In the future, if anyone has a problem with a thread or how they think that we are running or moderating the board, use the PM feature to contact timvp or myself and we'll get back to you.

This is the last post regarding this subject in this thread.

Thanks.

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
What is interesting is that if the Blazers take Oden and he busts while Durant blows up HOF style then the Blazers would have the distinction of passing up two of the best guard/forwards in the game to take two busted big men.

If they take Durant and he busts while Oden becomes the next dominant big man then the same thing applies.

Something tells me Portland will find a way to screw this up or have it blow up in their face.

tlongII
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
TUALATIN — Zach Randolph shuffled through words, searching for a description that would match the awe he felt Wednesday.

Legit, he offered.

The real deal.

But nothing seemed to fit as the Blazers forward watched Ohio State center Greg Oden work out at the Blazers’ practice facility.

“Words can’t describe him,” Randolph said. “He’s gonna end up being one of the best big men that ever plays the game.”

E20
06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree alot of what mb posted
why does everyone bitch about everything here?
did spurs lose in the first round to the 8 seed?
bitch about the spurs music
everyone plays you all are ready for this
bitch about what topics should be posted where
bitch about why kori decided to add soem other teams to this forum

this is the only forum that does not have popups
she could have sold it if I am not mistaken for 6 figures
I think people should not bitch that much here
viewing a topic is not talking alot of bandwidth

people's big ass and pictures(especially the ones that people do not crop) in their signatures are
Ducks, Lebron > Tony......................................:lmao

ducks
06-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Tp finals mvp>james the brick and turnover machine

Oink Oink
06-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Young D Rob http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/OdenandRobinson.jpg

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Damn, he looks like DRob...at age 70.

td4mvp3
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Young D Rob http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/OdenandRobinson.jpg
he's 20 years younger than robinson but looks 5-10 years older? yeesh.

tlongII
06-22-2007, 10:03 AM
The kid is 19 and he already has some guns on him.

spurscenter
06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Get ready for

Portland vs. Seattle

Coming to you on ESPN, TNT, ABC, HBO, SCIFI, SHOWTIME

24/7 this season

spurscenter
06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
he's 20 years younger than robinson but looks 5-10 years older? yeesh.

David looks like he can play!

clubalien
06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
hed Ohio State center Greg Oden work out at the Blazers’ practice facility.

“Words can’t describe him,” Randolph said. “He’s gonna end up being one of the best big men that ever plays the game.”

congrats blazer fan he will be a good player for yall

Question would it have been worth it to tank the season to get him knowing now that we woudl have won the season?

florige
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Damn, he looks like DRob...at age 70.

:lol

romain.star
06-26-2007, 01:56 AM
On Who He Models His Game After?
"I actually just play. But really a guy that I would look to would be David Robinson, somebody like that who is a great player, kept his game in the mid-range and a guy who can just capitalize on things like that. That would be the type of game that I would like to have".

On Which NBA Point Guard He Compares Mike Conley to
"Tony Parker because of his ability to get into the lane and finish with big guys".

Greg Oden

Robz4000
05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
What is interesting is that if the Blazers take Oden and he busts while Durant blows up HOF style then the Blazers would have the distinction of passing up two of the best guard/forwards in the game to take two busted big men.

If they take Durant and he busts while Oden becomes the next dominant big man then the same thing applies.

Something tells me Portland will find a way to screw this up or have it blow up in their face.

:wow

Chinook
05-09-2014, 12:00 AM
It's funny to see Tlong tlonging it up seven years ago.