PDA

View Full Version : Beno: Jeff Stockton or John Hornacek?

Solid D
12-05-2004, 12:26 AM
:elephant

Who does he remind you of?

ALVAREZ6
12-05-2004, 12:29 AM
neither

T Park
12-05-2004, 12:32 AM
John Stockton.

The soft jump shot, the tricky moves.

THe nice crisp passes.

Could it be maybe in a couple years

Beno > Parker?

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-05-2004, 12:51 AM

Right now, Havlicek. But the Pistol Pete side is starting to show (he copied TP's 360 tonight :lol ).

Solid D
12-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Who does he compare with, if anyone?

Rummpd
12-05-2004, 12:58 AM
3 years Parker, Ginobli, Brown, Beno and Duncan will be on court some at same time = ultimate skill ball going small except Tim.

Hey would not be bad line up now.

MadDoc

SPURS21
12-05-2004, 01:13 AM
3 years Parker, Ginobli, Brown, Beno and Duncan will be on court some at same time = ultimate skill ball going small except Tim.

Hey would not be bad line up now.

MadDoc

Umm no, 6'5 man at the 4?????????

T Park
12-05-2004, 01:18 AM
the Suns do it with a 6'8 guy.

Make them matchup up to youm and have flying around the ball tough guys.

Sounds interesting.

Spurminator
12-05-2004, 01:31 AM
Sounds interesting until Devin has to guard Carlos Boozer in the post.

SequSpur
12-05-2004, 01:41 AM
Beno played terrible last night and suddenly he is Stockton or Hornacek?

Uh... okay.

Solid D
12-05-2004, 01:44 AM

"Good Night, John Boy!"....

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/beno_udrih.jpg http://www.the-waltons.com/graphics/homecom2.jpg

T Park
12-05-2004, 02:02 AM
who the hell is that

So what Sequ, hes not allowed 1 bad game??

Give it a rest.

technoloid
12-05-2004, 06:35 AM

I hate to think about it but, aren't Devin and Beno's contracts up before then? I mean as good as their playing and might be, can the Spurs afford to resign him. Especially when you consider the $$$$$$ invested long term on our other players. Also like Speedy will Beno ultimately go elsewhere so he can start. Of course if your team has to have problems these are the kind you want to have.

Karl Mundt
12-05-2004, 07:06 AM
Beno can be the 6th man in 4 years time. As Brent retires or plays for the vet minimum, Beno could get his minutes and his contract.

maxpower
12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
who the hell is that

So what Sequ, hes not allowed 1 bad game??

Give it a rest.

Are you serious?!? How long have you been here? You are really questioning Sequ's flippity-floppity posts and over exaggeration of simple questions?

I was thinking about the OP's question just last night. During the stretch where Beno went off, I could not help but see a slight semblance in his demeanor to a John Stockton. He is deceptively fast...maybe not quick but his movements seem to lull the defender and catch them off guard. He changes direction quickly and fluidly without losing his pace. His passing isn't flashy ...it's just very solid very much like Stockton. But more than anything it has to be his stonelike expression..especially during the stretch last night. He was playing well but you'd never know it. He just chugged along.

Now for those lacking in reading comprehension. The gist of this is ...he "reminds" me of John Stockton ...at least in last night's game. *Disclaimer* I am not stating he is or will be John Stockton.*Disclaimer* He has attributes to his game that make me think ..."that looks familiar, his play style is reminiscent of a certain former nba point guard...a little bit like a jazz player who I hated as a player but would have loved if he were on my team."
Even the way he is described by the coaching staff is how I imagine Stockton would be described back in the day. He just makes the right pass.

Beno's passes always make sense.
He's a better player than his numbers. He passes ahead to the right spot, and the game seems more organized when he's in it. He feeds the post well, and his size allows him to be an adequate defender.
...is unassuming, but there's also fire beneath the surface.

Beno is just making the right decisions..and this is not a blanket statement as he will experience growing pains and have days some of us will want to stuff him in a box with Rasho and ship him back.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-05-2004, 10:03 AM
i think he reminds me of Beno Udrih, because honestly he is playing better in his first year in the L, than any PG i have seen, no joke much better than parker when he was a rookie, just because his numbers arent as important as his uncanny ability to make the right play.

conversekid
12-05-2004, 10:35 AM
"Good Night, John Boy!"....

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/beno_udrih.jpg http://www.the-waltons.com/graphics/homecom2.jpg

you posted the same pic as I did!! too funny!

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought he looked like John Boy..

Slomo
12-05-2004, 10:56 AM
I think that Athenea is calling him Beno boy in the Forum :)

ducks
12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
reminds of tp want to be

Jimcs50
12-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Who is John Boy?

IceColdBrewski
12-05-2004, 12:35 PM
John Stockton.

The soft jump shot, the tricky moves.

THe nice crisp passes.

Could it be maybe in a couple years

Beno > Parker?

What he said.

boutons
12-05-2004, 12:51 PM
John Boy, main child actor in "The Waltons", what today we'd call a "values" TV series, the kind of show a Protestant minister would recommend, from the 1970's, a nostalgic schmaltz-fest (from TV writers trying to make $$$) about the myth of the the The Good Old Days in bib-overalls and frilly little girl dresses, straw hats, living in some idyllic "heartland" place with lots of hills and woods, where everybody good, honest, sincere, the parents are wise and loving, the kids are perfect and cute.

All industrialized countries pine for the The Good Days down on the farm.

HIP HOOPERS
12-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Well.... he reminds me a lot of his brother Samo...! :)

IcemanCometh
12-05-2004, 01:41 PM
The Waltons was a reaction to the socially relevant, problem-ridden urban family shows like All in the Family, Maude and Sanford and Son. As usual cbs was behind the times, when everyone else was doing "real" shows about people with real problems in real situations the came up with crap about a wholesome family in utopia usa set during the depression. Of course audiences lapped up the emotional clap trap, bittersweet nonsense , and sappy sentimentality.

Spurminator
12-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Or maybe CBS, rather than following some mythical rule about sitcoms' responsibility to be socially relevant, decided to target audiences who were not interested in urban programs they percveived to be preachy. I'd say it was a good idea.

Backup point guard is becoming one of the most important positions in Spurs franchise history. It's very exciting to see how fluid this team's offense can be when you can put a reliable point guard on the floor for all 48 minutes of the game. The Spurs will still see offensive lapses, as always, but you always have a better chance of making something happen with point guards like Parker and Udrih.

Brodels
12-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Skill-wise, those comparisons are good.

The one thing that remains to be seen is if Beno will be tough enough to be a really solid NBA point guard. You couldn't really tell it by looking at them, but Stockton was one tough mofo and Hornacek was pretty tough, too. Those guys stayed healthy, didn't back down from anyone, and knew how to win.

If Beno can do those things, he could be a starting-quality point guard. I don't think we know the answer to that question yet, though.

whottt
12-05-2004, 02:09 PM
The Waltons was a reaction to the socially relevant, problem-ridden urban family shows like All in the Family, Maude and Sanford and Son. As usual cbs was behind the times, when everyone else was doing "real" shows about people with real problems in real situations the came up with crap about a wholesome family in utopia usa set during the depression. Of course audiences lapped up the emotional clap trap, bittersweet nonsense , and sappy sentimentality.

It's not like it was something new...

All through the 60's shows based in rural settings were the top drawing shows:Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, that was the top drawing market. CBS tried to move away from their hick image, mainly because while they were popular, the demographic they were aimed at didn't spend much money. They lost a lot of viewers. I think the Waltons was an attempt to get that market back in a more respectable manner than hick comedies. Anyway, it had a legitimate premise as an alternative to all the urban comedies that weren't as popular as the rural comedies. And as a look back at a simpler time in American history and the values that this country was built upon.

IMO, the show sucked though, by far one of the most depressing and boring shows I have ever seen, and it got even more depressing when Johnboy, the whole premise of the show, left. I remember actually contemplating suicide as a child when I found out every one wanted to watch Christmas on Walton's mountain for the 1 billionth time. :hang

I agree with Ice, the Walton's needed more teen pregnancy and racism.

And Beno does look like John boy.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2004, 02:59 PM
1. Why must every white player be compared to another white player?

2. Did everyone completely miss the joke in the title thread?

3. While Ice in general made valid points, he seriously contradicted himself in that 2 of the 3 "urban comedies" he listed were also on CBS.

4. Green Acres is the place to be . . .

Solid D
12-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Nice catch, ShoogarBear.

I wasn't a Waltons fan but back in the day, a lot of shows were more family oriented. I think June and Ward Cleaver had separate beds as did Robert Young in Father Know's Best. I never got that one. Father didn't know best in that case but maybe mother did.

Converse Kid. Did you post the same pic? Where? That's funny but he does bear a close resemblance to what Richard Thomas looked like back then.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2004, 04:12 PM
June and Ward Cleaver, eh, who cares?

What got me was that Samantha and Darrin Stevens had separate beds, at least in the earlier years. That only happens in NFWaysville.

ChumpDumper
12-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Weren't the Brady's the first couple to be shown in the same bed?

Ironic, seeing as Reed was gay and all.

whottt
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't think it was the Brady Bunch...I've heard the show that actually did it mentioned a lot of times...and Brady Bunch doesn't ring a bell. I kinda want to say it was in the later episodes of the Dick Van Dyke show that it happened.

ChumpDumper
12-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Stories vary: I've seen The Flintsones and The Munsters cited along with I Love Lucy though that happened to be two seperately made up twin beds pushed together. If anyone was around to see Mary Kay and Johnny (1947-50), maybe they could enlighten us.

T Park
12-05-2004, 06:41 PM
I love Lucy i remember had to seperately made beds, but seperated by a nightstand.

That still baffles me to as why a married couple sleeping in the same bed is controversial.

wildbill2u
12-05-2004, 10:48 PM
:elephant

He reminds me a lot of Gail Goodrich, the Laker point guard. 'Stumpy' was also a lefty, good passer and ball-handler and developed a pretty good mid-range jumper.