PDA

View Full Version : Talent runs BCS-deep in Stillwater

MajorMike
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Talent runs BCS-deep in Stillwater

08:15 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

By Chip Brown/Dallas Morning News

If things fall just right this football season, Dallas billionaire Boone Pickens' next donation to his alma mater, Oklahoma State, could be free rounds for everyone at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater – the best bar in the Big 12.

If Oklahoma struggles with a first-year quarterback, if Texas can't solve its problems running the ball or stopping the pass, or if Texas A&M gets beaten down by a brutal schedule, the Cowboys could be BCS-bound in 2007.

Crazy? Not really. OSU is loaded on offense, will be improved on defense and has slippery speed on special teams. Also, you'd hope the Cowboys have learned how to finish after losing five of their six games in 2006 late in the fourth quarter.

"I think it can be a special year," said Mike Gundy, the third-year coach at the school where he shared the backfield with Barry Sanders from 1986 to '88 and remains the school's all-time leading passer.

"We open up at Georgia. They may be top 15 or better, but our players believe we can go there and win that game. We believe we can win every game if we play well. The attitude of our team is tremendous."

Pickens has already given $165 million to Oklahoma State, allowing the Cowboys to compete with any school in the nation in resources. A renovation to OSU's stadium, which bears Pickens' name, will be completed in 15 months.

Gundy has hired bright, young assistants like offensive coordinator Larry Fedora.

Fedora's Big Three – quarterback Bobby Reid, running back Dantrell Savage and wide receiver Adarius Bowman – helped make OSU one of two teams to average 200 yards passing and 200 yards rushing last season (along with Boise State). All three players return this season.

First-year defensive coordinator Tim Beckman's last two stops were Ohio State (defensive backs coach) and Bowling Green (defensive coordinator), working under national championship coaches Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer, respectively.

And thanks to Pickens, Gundy can make his assistants among the highest-paid in the country. Fedora is slated to earn $393,000 this season. Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis will earn $351,440 this season. While most assistant coaches work on a year-to-year basis, Gundy's assistants have four- and five-year guaranteed contracts.

"We've had really good football coaches here over the past 20 years, but we weren't able to keep them," Gundy said. "One reason is we weren't able to take care of them financially. When you look at the cost of living in Stillwater, and the money these guys make now, I'm going to say we're probably as competitive as anyone in the country."

Gundy has also been able to recruit Texas, where he signed 15 of his 22 incoming freshmen. Included in that group are top national prospects Richetti Jones, a pass rusher from Lincoln, and receivers Dez Bryant of Lufkin and Hubert Anyiam of North Garland.

Part of Gundy's recruiting pitch is that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else.

"This is home," Gundy said. "My wife and I graduated from here, and we're being taken care of. Most coaches will tell you, never let the administration know you think this is your last stop. I don't have a problem with that. I'm happy here, and we have big goals."

HOW THEY'LL FINISH

Here's a look at Chip Brown's Big 12 predictions for 2007, with finish, overall record and Big 12 record:

SOUTH

1. Oklahoma
Record: 10-2, 6-2

League losses: at Colorado, Texas

Bottom line: The Sooners are starting a first-year quarterback, which could make them vulnerable to a couple of early conference losses. But the defending Big 12 champs should be hard to beat by season's end with talent everywhere else. OU wins the South on tiebreakers.

2. Oklahoma State

League losses: at Nebraska, at OU

Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M

Bottom line: The passing game and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.

4. Texas A&M
Record: 7-5, 4-4

League losses: Okla. St., at Nebraska, at OU, at Mizzou

Bottom line: Quarterback Stephen McGee is a stud on an offense that mauls people. But key losses on defense and a road schedule that includes Miami (Fla.), Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU and Missouri will trip up the Aggies.

5. Texas Tech
Record: 7-5;3-5

League losses: at Okla. St., Texas A&M, at Mizzou, at Texas, OU

Bottom line: Tech has only four starters back on offense and only five back on defense. If Mike Leach hasn't been recruiting well, it will show. A typically soft nonleague schedule should ensure Tech remains the only Big 12 team without a losing season since the conference was formed.

6. Baylor
Record: 3-9, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: After manhandling bowl-bound Kansas State last year and beating Colorado on the road, the Bears have lost too much manpower to succeed in 2007. Baylor is starting over at quarterback, receiver and in the secondary. Coach Guy Morriss will need more time.

NORTH

1. Missouri

League losses: at OU, at Colorado

Bottom line: The Tigers have the most experienced talent in the North, only four road games, and they get Nebraska at home. Quarterback Chase Daniel of Southlake Carroll will help erase any mistakes by coach Gary Pinkel. Mizzou wins the North with a tiebreaker win over the Cornhuskers.

2. Nebraska
Record: 8-4, 6-2

League losses: at Mizzou, at Texas

Bottom line: Coaching blunders cost the Big Red a Cotton Bowl victory against Auburn and tempered enthusiasm about progress made in three seasons under Bill Callahan. If a new defensive line exceeds expectations, Nebraska could return to the Big 12 title game this year.

3. Colorado
Record: 7-5, 5-3

League losses: at Kansas St., at Texas Tech, Nebraska

Bottom line: Dan Hawkins redshirted his son, Cody, at quarterback last season. With Cody on the field, an offense that couldn't score in 2006 will improve dramatically. There's talent on defense, although not much depth anywhere if injuries flare up.

4. Kansas State
Record: 6-6, 4-4

League losses: at Texas, at Okla. St., at Nebraska, Mizzou

Bottom line: There's lots of uncertainty in Manhattan as coach Ron Prince goes to a 3-4 defense and attempts to rebuild on the offensive line. Ian Campbell will move from defensive end to outside linebacker after posting 11 ½ sacks in 2006. Quarterback Josh Freeman is a rising star.

5. Kansas State
Record: 6-6, 2-6

League losses: at K-State, at Colorado, at A&M, Nebraska, at Okla. St., Mizzou (in Kansas City)

Bottom line: Last year, KU lost five games in which it led in the second half. Coach Mark Mangino is struggling to find a quarterback, as he has the last four years. Cornerback Aqib Talib is the real deal on a defense with lots of questions.

6. Iowa State
Record: 2-10, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: It could be a rough start for new coach Gene Chizik. He must rebuild both lines, has no proven running back and faces a schedule that includes South opponents OU, Texas and Texas Tech. Eleven of his 25-man freshman class are junior college transfers.

BIG 12 TITLE GAME IN SAN ANTONIO: OU over Missouri

samikeyp
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Colorado is going to beat both division winners but only finish 7-5?

:donkey

K-State Spur
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
and evidently k-state is going to finish both 4th and 5th in the north.

he's also got mizzou winning every game that they are supposed to - which pinkel accomplishes...never.

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Baylor for BCS!!

johngateswhiteley
06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
this article is ridiculous.

Thunder Dan
06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
if by "BCS" you mean Alamo Bowl then they probably could make a run this year

RonMexico
06-21-2007, 07:16 PM
if by "BCS" you mean Alamo Bowl then they probably could make a run this year

And that's only if that deep talent pool on OSU lives up to expectations. Independence Bowl is probably a more likely scenario.

06-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Mmmmm.....Satellite Fallout's at Joe's

Defense is the key to OSU having any modicum of success this year.

Jury is still out on them.

MajorMike
06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Mmmmm.....Satellite Fallout's at Joe's

Defense is the key to OSU having any modicum of success this year.

Jury is still out on them.

Our D will not be very good. We got an assistant from toOSU, and we saw what Florida did to them.

And its a Skylab Fallout. :elephant

SrA Husker
06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
If Missouri wins the North, I will wear a Missouri flag as an avatar and change the text under my name to something bashing Nebraska for 3 months.

Something tells me it's a pretty damn safe bet as long as Pinkel is at the helm.

06-22-2007, 04:48 PM

I stand corrected, but after three, who cares?

Thunder Dan
06-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Our D will not be very good. We got an assistant from toOSU, and we saw what Florida did to them.

compairing Florida and Oklahoma St. is pretty funny. Florida has about 2x the speed on their 3rd string than you have on your All Time team.

Also, it's funny that your excited about a BCS Bowl, when most schools shoot for the championship game, then have to settle for a BCS game. Your Cowboys must be really hungry for a BCS game, I mean they have gotten a chance to watch every single one since they started.

MajorMike
06-23-2007, 02:59 PM
compairing Florida and Oklahoma St. is pretty funny. Florida has about 2x the speed on their 3rd string than you have on your All Time team.

The greatest single season ever by a running back is from my school. Many consider him the best RB of all time; college or NFL. You may want to revise that statement. Or you just may want to continue looking stupid.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/content/greatestplayers/OKSTbarrysanders200.jpg

Thunder Dan
06-23-2007, 04:35 PM
The greatest single season ever by a running back is from my school. Many consider him the best RB of all time; college or NFL. You may want to revise that statement. Or you just may want to continue looking stupid.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/content/greatestplayers/OKSTbarrysanders200.jpg

Since he will have some all around talent to do such things as hand the ball off to him and block for him. Face it, Ok. St. had one good player, the rest of them went to school in Norman or Austin. As we can see from the clip below (which is one of the funniest clips in football) OK St. doesn't practice how to take a good angle and tackling. Both of which are needed to go to a BCS game.

Oklahoma St. Tackling drill (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TikygJwTs1I)

MajorMike
06-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Wow, look at him spin.

Oh, yeah, well I said one dumbass thing, so I think I will try and cover it up by throwing up a smoke screen.

cecil collins
06-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Face it, Ok. St. had one good player, the rest of them went to school in Norman or Austin.

Hey, who was that guy who preceeded Barry Sanders. Didn't he make it to the pros? I don't know, ask a Bills fan. Ok st is not without talent, past or present. That being said, I don't think they have much a chance of winning the south.

Thunder Dan
06-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey, who was that guy who preceeded Barry Sanders. Didn't he make it to the pros? I don't know, ask a Bills fan. Ok st is not without talent, past or present. That being said, I don't think they have much a chance of winning the south.

Alright your bound to have 2 good players in 30 years. Hell even Kent State in Ohio will have 2 Hall of Famers in the next couple years (Jack Lambert and Antonio Gates), and their football program is in jeopardy of getting shut down.

MajorMike
06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Alright your bound to have 2 good players in 30 years. Hell even Kent State in Ohio will have 2 Hall of Famers in the next couple years (Jack Lambert and Antonio Gates), and their football program is in jeopardy of getting shut down.

Some syrup with those waffles?