PDA

View Full Version : What about current roster?

Rob in Converse
06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get a handle on how we'll look next year. But I didn't get to many games so I really don't know how much potential we have with our bench, particularly 10 - 15.

Has anyone seen any potential (talent or trade value) in Jackie Butler, Melvin Ely, Matt Bonner and James White? How would you rank them against each other? Amongst the team?

Will any of these guys ever be more than a practice body?

coopdogg3
06-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Well Melvin Ely is gone while Bonne is a FA and is likely gone as well IMO.

Jackie Butler and James White looked decent with spot duty, but that's about all I can say. With a full-offseason for White under the Spurs supervision, hopefully he takes off and does well.

Guess we'll see.

spursfaninla
06-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Of the current roster, the guys that are getting shopped are Barry and beno. Butler is also a potential trade piece.

Barry (stats wise) is probably our most valuable commodity that we want to trade. He very good for us during the regular season; his "wins produced" stats were just below Parkers from what I remember. However, after he got hurt Finely stepped up and Barry saw less time in the playoffs. He is getting older, and at around 5 mil/season is somewhat expensive, but his contract is ending so overall a very attractive piece.

Beno is virtually worthless because he was our 3rd pg and showed nothing this year. Some team that wants a backup MIGHT pick him up for a future second round pick or 2.

Butler has some value as a scoring bigman, but he has not shown he can keep the weight off. Also, his defense has been suspect, and lastly we didn't play him at all this year. Until he shows something during the summer league, I'm not sure how much we could get for him.

Elson is going to stick around. Bonner is a scrub with little value. Ely is going to take off, I think he has that option, and he saw 0 minutes so he is worthless. HOrry has not value because he is too old, and wants to stay for another year but would retire if traded. Fin is too old to be traded I think, and has a player option.

White was picked up off wavers. He has a very cheap contract, and played hardly any time this year for a reason; he is a great athelete but is still learning the NBA game and needs to polish his overall skills; he must prove he has the defense, passing, and jump shot to be a backup sg...

Rob in Converse
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
The reason I asked about Jackie Butler is that when we got him, the media was saying we "stole" him. And I also remember his previous coach, Larry Brown no less, saying he could be really good.

I also heard we got steals with Bonner.

The way you guys are talking, we could package these guys up with Beno and our draft picks and get a good janitor??? :rolleyes

Mr. Body
06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Nice sarcasm.

Butler was a disappointment this year, especially after Hollinger's (now) embarrassing training camp assessment of his potential. Udrih's value isn't totally in the crapper. We forget Barry shot extremely well during the season and a team could use him for a year. White has a good attitude and surprised some at the end of the year, but still may not make the team.

Ely is gone. Bonner possibly is gone. Vaughn stays. I believe a handful of the other mid- to deep- bench guys will be traded out.

ChumpDumper
06-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Unless we draft another big guy who can hit the long ball, I don't see Bonner going anywhere unless someone gives him a deal the Spurs don't want to match. Maybe if they bring in Scola.

SenorSpur
06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Spurs appear to like Bonner. Bonner seemingly like the Spurs. Unless something dramatic happens, expect him to see him back.

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
If Bonner can get his defense up to Spurs Championship par he could be a very important piece once Horry's gone. A 4 who can stretch the floor and play within the defensive system would be valuable.