PDA

View Full Version : How about a Brent Barry for Ricky Davis swap

spurs1990
06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Trade works out financially....Davis has 1 year remaining so if it doesn't work out no harm done. He can be the long 3 Pop is wanting...possible replacement for Bruce...veteran hungry for a change to win. Alley-oop possibilites with Parker. Minnesota is completely rebuilding.

Do it RC!

Ricky Davis
6-7 SG from Iowa
17.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.8 apg in 37.3 minutes

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisri01.html

http://www.espn.go.com/media/nba/2006/0126/photo/g_ricky_268.jpg

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Ricky is a better scorer, but Brent is a much better locker room guy and he knows the system. Not a horrible trade, but not necessarily worth it either, IMO.

Mr. Body
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
No.

Mr. Body
06-21-2007, 11:33 AM
For a great many reasons.

T Park
06-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Good lord, No about 5 billion times.

No for one HUGE reason. hes a freaking cancer and a piece of shit.

Leetonidas
06-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, he may be a cancer, but that could be because he's been on shitty teams his whole career.

But then again, I don't really want a self-absorbed douche who tried to throw the ball off the either teams rim just to get another rebound so he could have a triple double (which he didn't even get) on my team anyway.

SenorSpur
06-21-2007, 11:39 AM
When making trade proposals for the Spurs, you have to look at the type of individual player as much as you look at the player's talents.

Hell-to-the-NO!

Mr. Body
06-21-2007, 11:39 AM
There are players I'd never accept on my team. They get flashbulbs popped at them because they put up stats, but they are stats that have no correspondence to winning games. They have no impact whatsoever... and include Zach Randolph, Ricky Davis, and yes, Jason Richardson.

samikeyp
06-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Actually that is two huge reasons. :lmao

But both are valid.

Spurs Brazil
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Pass

Aud21946
06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
No but hell no .. Pretty Ricky is a CANCER! No Chance!

boutons_
06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Hell YES!
He's a balla,
he's got braids,
he's got tats,
he's athletic

Spurs' TV ratings would go WAY UP in the balla demographic!

bdictjames
06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
No. I think Brent has about 1 good year left in that skinny body of his.

Kermit
06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
ricky on the spurs would be high on the comedy scale...and ricky would probably be high as well.

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
i take him if he keeps on dunkn on nashs face

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Spurs won't trade Barry if for no reason other than they will honor the fact that he came to the Spurs as a free agent on a less than full market value deal. Trading him would send the wrong message to other future free agents that the Spurs couldn't be trusted.

BigBeezie
06-21-2007, 01:34 PM
NOOOOO!!! I wouldn't give up Melvin Ely for Ricky Davis. Davis could bring a whole team down.

Mr. Body
06-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Spurs won't trade Barry if for no reason other than they will honor the fact that he came to the Spurs as a free agent on a less than full market value deal. Trading him would send the wrong message to other future free agents that the Spurs couldn't be trusted.

While I think that's a consideration for Finley, I think it's past that point for Brent Barry. No one would be remiss if he were traded and, after all, they tried to trade him at last year's trade deadline.

If Barry isn't traded, it will be because of nothing good in return but more important, because they don't want to take on larger contracts extending beyond next year.

ObiwanGinobili
06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
:vomit:

^^ my humble opinion

Big P
06-21-2007, 01:40 PM

I dont think that is necessarily true. The Spurs will trade Barry to fill a need long term like Nocioni or Pietrus. This is a business & the Spurs & Barry know how valuable expiring contracts are. There is probably a %50/50 chance Barry gets traded. Now if you were talking Finley or Horry, then I would agree with you. We couldn't trade either one of those guys(they took less money to play here & had alot of other options) & not look bad in potential FA's eyes, that would be a slap in the face to Horry & Finley & throw up a red flag to potential players the team would want to bring in, which the Spurs would never do. Now if Horry or Finley WANTED to be traded, that is a different thing.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Good lord, No about 5 billion times.

but he could change if he had the right guys around him. Stephen Jackson wasn't a cancer until he left the Spurs, with Pop and TD being the guys who kept him in check while he was here.

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Why don't we just trade for Davis, Darius Miles, and sign up Pacman Jones to be the Coyote next year and make it rain in the ATT?

Dumbass people.

Findog
06-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, there's the "one knucklehead per team" rule. San Antonio would be the one place where Davis would be expected to conform into filling a role and not be selfish. I say NO, only because I don't want to see the Spurs get younger and better.

Soul_Patch
06-21-2007, 02:06 PM
lol...this gives me the opportunity to finally ask...what in the fuck is "make it rain" and why is this so popular?

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, there's the "one knucklehead per team" rule. San Antonio would be the one place where Davis would be expected to conform into filling a role and not be selfish. I say NO, only because I don't want to see the Spurs get younger and better.

Hmm, Spurs have won 3 out of 4 titles with 0 knuckleheads. Seems to be a good combination that's working fine. The best thing for the Mavs would be for the Spurs to get a guy like this and blow up team chemistry.

Nice try.

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
lol...this gives me the opportunity to finally ask...what in the fuck is "make it rain" and why is this so popular?

"Make it rain" is the term given to the action by the Titan's Pacman Jones in which he or someone in his group goes into a strip club with two handfulls of bills and proceeds to walk up to the stage and toss all of the bills up in the air at once to the strippers. The bills go up in the air and flutter back to the ground simulating rain.

Oink Oink
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezCclCSjNw

Phil Hellmuth
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
this ain't 2k7 man or marc cuban via 2001-2003.

stop the trades to just make a trade BS.

Soul_Patch
06-21-2007, 02:14 PM
"Make it rain" is the term given to the action by the Titan's Pacman Jones in which he or someone in his group goes into a strip club with two handfulls of bills and proceeds to walk up to the stage and toss all of the bills up in the air at once to the strippers. The bills go up in the air and flutter back to the ground simulating rain.

lol...wtf...

thats dumb, considering you are gonna get the same stinky asshole rubbed in your face for 1 dollar vs a handfull of em...

Findog
06-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Hmm, Spurs have won 3 out of 4 titles with 0 knuckleheads. Seems to be a good combination that's working fine. The best thing for the Mavs would be for the Spurs to get a guy like this and blow up team chemistry.

Nice try.

I think Davis makes San Antonio better, but I'm glad we both want him away from the Alamo City. :toast

gaKNOW!blee
06-21-2007, 02:18 PM
PG- Sebastain Telfair
SG- Allen Iverson
SF- Ricky Davis
PF- Darius Miles
C- Rasheed Wallace

The 2008 Spurs starting lineup.

bigfish22
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Ricky "lay it off my own backboard on an inbounds play in a blowout game to get my 10th rebound to complete my first ever triple double even on Playstation only to have it denied by the league front office 2 days later" Davis?

That guy?

http://www.espn.go.com/media/nba/2006/0126/photo/g_ricky_268.jpg
[No this is not SPYDA from the AND1 tour]

FYI: http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1525101.html

Findog
06-21-2007, 02:27 PM
PG- Sebastain Telfair
SG- Allen Iverson
SF- Ricky Davis
PF- Darius Miles
C- Rasheed Wallace

The 2008 Spurs starting lineup.

And sign JR Rider to come off the bench. Make it happen Pop! :drunk

RC's Boss
06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
People say he's a cancer, but I haven't heard any problems from him since he left Cleveland. I could be wrong. People fuck up in life all the time as I'm sure you all have done on multiple occassions. If Tim or one of the other guys got a DUI after celebrating would they be a cancer too for driving under the influence. Hell I was a cancer last night!!!!! I hope Manu gets caught stroking his bird at the airport or some shit! I guess some of you would call him a cancer, me I'd just assume he was eager to get off. Maybe next time Bruce will knee Dantoni in the nuts so we can be "dirty" cancers.

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
I hope Manu gets caught stroking his bird at the airport

:drunk

Findog
06-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I hope Manu gets caught stroking his bird at the airport or some shit!

Sign Eddie Griffin! Why the airport though?

RC's Boss
06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm not saying it's right what Davis did, but damn... You live and you learn. Hopefully he learned. I'd take him if only for one game against PHX so he can dunk on Nash and yell out, "Oh Shit!", in his face for all the world to hear.

RC's Boss
06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Sign Eddie Griffin! Why the airport though?
Public place. Security camera, personal digital cameras, phone cameras everywhere. I can see it now. AP Press San Antonio- Spurs All-Star guard Manu Ginobilli was obviously feeling horny as a goat this afternoon, as he was apparently caught on video giving himself the "T-Boz" treatment and touched himself much to the dismay of onlookers. When questioned about his actions, Manu's only response was, "Sorry, I just had to release those seeds. I felt like I could bench press a freakin' gym, but now I feel like I've lost a good ten lbs. and really light on my feet. I feel so euphoric, I think I'll put my thumb in my mouth and take a nap before practice." Spurs officials were not available for comment. :drunk :smokin :drunk :smokin

BeerIsGood!
06-21-2007, 02:54 PM
You sound like you've had experience in the "getting caught" area??

MrChug
06-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm going to have to pass on the "Ricky for Beno" trade. At least Beno shuts the F up while he does nothing. Davis would be smiling for the cameras and clowning the coaching staff to reporters for not playing him more and making him a bigger part of the offense.

WHO? Barry??? Hahahahahahahaha :lmao. You funny kid...thanks.

johnpaulwall21
06-21-2007, 02:57 PM
barry for davis hells yeah i would make it. cancer this cancer that, how many teams has he broken up????

ancestron
06-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Hell YES!
He's a balla,
he's got braids,
he's got tats,
he's athletic

Spurs' TV ratings would go WAY UP in the balla demographic!

:lol

spurs1990
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
WOW.

I posted this as a serious basketball proposal, and 90% of the replies offered no insight whatsoever besides casting aspersions on a guy's personal character.

So I ask you braniacs, how the fuck is Ricky Davis in the same mold as Pacman Jones or Isiaah Rider or Iverson?

How many arrests has he had? Oh thats right, ZERO.

In fact, you people brought up the faux triple double from 2003 as evidence of bad character...that was the funniest shit I've ever seen...hardly a stunt meriting cancer labels. Very easy to brand people w/o true analysis, just look at main-stream media.

Selfish, me-first, piece of shit...all pretty useless labels as no one can back it up, or probably even seen any games. There's a guy in SA, maybe you've heard of him, named Gregg Popovich who can pretty much straighten any players ONCOURT deficiencies once he's on the roster. Talent is undeniable with Davis, so I'm guessing he'd be an improvement over the 35 year old defensive wonderkid Brent Barry.

Whats the point... basketball discussion on this board is hitting a lull, so I'll leave you guys to brew over the bullshit until next season picks up again.

See you in October.

signed
Tony aka Spurs1990, typing on a brand-new Lenovo T61, T7300 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, DVD-R, webcam 14.1 widescreen piece of ass-kicking portable computerality.

Referee
06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Effin' F-U-H-G-E-D-D-A-B-O-U-D-I-T!!!

:elephant http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6811/spazz0619072yl9.jpg (http://imageshack.us) :elephant

:elephant The cat after the celebrations... Bad Spazz! :elephant

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Fuck this cancertalk, I'd love to see that trade go down. If he is a "cancer" then we bench his ass until he fakes contentment like SJax and we play him the last 30 games of the season.
He'd make us nearly unbeatable at home with his crowd charisma, nash-kicking dunks, and would increase our street cred two fold.

(above statement valid only if we keep finley)

exstatic
06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't think Davis is a cancer. I do believe he is a dumbass of the highest order, though, and would never pick up our system. RD is nothing more than a gunner who can put up lots of points on bad teams with basically unlimited shots.

2pac
06-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Is Roy Tarpley still suspended?

I bet PacMan Jones can ball.

Extra Stout
06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Ricky Davis is an example of the Stephon Marbury Phenomenon, wherein a player puts up terrific numbers while causing his team to lose games, because his primary concern is his numbers.

It's amazing how people after all these years how even Spurs fans don't understand why the team doesn't go after these kinds of players.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Hmmm...stupidity didn't keep the Spurs from trying to deal Barry for JR Smith.

:stirpot:

Extra Stout
06-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Hmmm...stupidity didn't keep the Spurs from trying to deal Barry for JR Smith.

:stirpot
I bet they're glad that one didn't go through... sometimes it's better to be lucky than good (see C-Webb trade, Kidd signing, etc.)

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
I bet they're glad that one didn't go through... sometimes it's better to be lucky than good (see C-Webb trade, Kidd signing, etc.)

I don't know. In San Antonio Jack was hitting championship clinching shots. In Indiana he was beating up middle-class white Michiganians and squeezing off a few clips outside strip clubs.

Extra Stout
06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't know. In San Antonio Jack was hitting championship clinching shots. In Indiana he was beating up middle-class white Michiganians and squeezing off a few clips outside strip clubs.
They also had an assistant coach who could keep him on a leash.

ChumpDumper
06-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, he may be a cancer, but that could be because he's been on shitty teams his whole career.Those teams were shitty because he was on them.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a lilbituh Ricky

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
They also had an assistant coach who could keep him on a leash.

They have an organization which knows how to treat players with respect while holding them accountable. Better said, they treat their players like adults.

Extra Stout
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
They have an organization which knows how to treat players with respect while holding them accountable. Better said, they treat their players like adults.
Counterargument: Ron Mercer. A 28-year-old veteran is not the same thing as a kid looking for his first break.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
They gave Mercer exactly what he wanted other than minutes.

E20
06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Barry is one of my favorite players so I'm inclined to say NO; for many reasons besides this one.

Money316
06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-top-left.gifQuote:http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-top-right.gifhttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-by-left.gifOriginally Posted by BeerIsGood!http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-by-right.gifhttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-top-right-10.gif"Make it rain" is the term given to the action by the Titan's Pacman Jones in which he or someone in his group goes into a strip club with two handfulls of bills and proceeds to walk up to the stage and toss all of the bills up in the air at once to the strippers. The bills go up in the air and flutter back to the ground simulating rain. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-bot-left.gifhttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Flashskin/misc/quotes/quot-bot-right.gif

lol...wtf...

thats dumb, considering you are gonna get the same stinky asshole rubbed in your face for 1 dollar vs a handfull of em...
I think Pac expects a little more than a facial for his investment. :hat

exstatic
06-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but again, that's not the valid comparison. Jack was little paid, and on a small, and I'll bet non-guaranteed 2 year deal. He HAD to fall in line or his NBA career was at stake. Mercer is the better comparison. Both paid some nice jack, both in their last year. I'm betting the outcome would be similar: Davis looking for a J O B in March.

Jaksmack
06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Brent Barry is my most favorite player on the Spurs. He is a competent professional on the court and a crazy comedian off of it. A hard worker and an excellent roll player.

Besides, I just got my Barry jersey yesterday! :spin

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, but again, that's not the valid comparison. Jack was little paid, and on a small, and I'll bet non-guaranteed 2 year deal. He HAD to fall in line or his NBA career was at stake. Mercer is the better comparison. Both paid some nice jack, both in their last year. I'm betting the outcome would be similar: Davis looking for a J O B in March.

But did the Spurs treat him poorly? He knew where he stood with the team. He requested a release to catch on with another club and it was granted.

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM
davis is a good scorer and very athletic..his attitude is just in question and he isnt like an all-star to take a risk anyways...and plus if the wolves will do that trade straight up what does that have to say about davis..he is alot better than barry..

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Brent Barry is my most favorite player on the Spurs. He is a competent professional on the court and a crazy comedian off of it. A hard worker and an excellent roll player.

Besides, I just got my Barry jersey yesterday! :spin

why in the hell did u wait so long...might as well make it a throwback

gtownspur
06-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Some of you dumbasses are talking nonsense. RD is not looked as a centerpiece or star player like Marbury, and hell yeah balls to the wall pull the trade!!! zigee zagee zigee zagee oy oy oy!!!