PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Looking To Trade A 1st Rounder?

SenorSpur
06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Just saw this tonight.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46627/20070621/atlanta_looking_to_trade_a_1st_rounder/

Atlanta Looking To Trade A 1st Rounder?
21st June, 2007 - 11:24 am

Atlanta Journal-Constitution -
Picking Mike Conley No. 3 if no sufficient trade offer comes "could happen," Atlanta head coach Mike Woodson said on Wednesday.

"But it's hard to say where we're going with that 3 spot. We've got options. My thing is I want someone who can play right now, contribute."

Javaris Crittenton and Acie Law worked out for the Hawks on Wednesday, with Conley coming in on Monday.

The Hawks may trade at least one first-round pick because, "To add two young draft picks will keep us in that category of young team," Woodson said. [READ]

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Since they said that they might trade one of their 1st rounders is because they would be in the young team category, they are probably expecting a veteran in return.

CubanMustGo
06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Beno and a bag of stale ("veteran") nachos.

El_Mago
06-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I could see Atlanta using Beno.

However, they have a lot of swings, and I do not see them wanting Barry.

Bonner and Beno, along with the 28th?

Nah, too good to be true.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2007, 10:12 PM
The 28th, 58th, Elson, and Brent for the 11th pick. :smokin I'd have a heart attack if that happened.

bevo
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I say swap 1st round pics, give them Barry, Beno and rights to Scola.

We get one of their swing men and one of their 1st rounders.

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I could see Atlanta using Beno.

However, they have a lot of swings, and I do not see them wanting Barry.

Bonner and Beno, along with the 28th?

Nah, too good to be true.

can the spurs even trade bonner??? isnt he a free agent..or would a sign and trade work?

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I say swap 1st round pics, give them Barry, Beno and rights to Scola.

We get one of their swing men and one of their 1st rounders.

which swing?? childress? or josh smith..or did u have somebody else in mind?

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:17 PM
can the spurs even trade bonner??? isnt he a free agent..or would a sign and trade work?

Can't sign-and-trade before the draft because the signing period doesn't start until July

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:17 PM
which swing?? childress? or josh smith..or did u have somebody else in mind?

Uhhh...Billy Knight is stupid, but he's not THAT stupid.

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:18 PM
shiit ill take salim stoudamire...that boy can shoot the lights out!!

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Uhhh...Billy Knight is stupid, but he's not THAT stupid.

do u have any idea how many wings they have??? u cant have 4 wings..and they are all very young..joe johnson, marvin williams, josh smith, josh childress...dog cant keep all of them forever

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Atlanta needs a legitimate starting PG (which they could've had in Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but that's another story) and they need a low-post scorer/defender (because as decent as Zaza has been, he ain't that guy).

I guess Scola qualifies for low-post offensive threat, but he's not very big and not a great defender....at that point, the Hawks would probably be better off drafting Horford.

The guy I keep coming back to in my head is Marcus Camby, but I just can't see what the package would be for him...

ploto
06-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I know Atlanta has contacted Toronto about Jose Calderon, but they do not seem to be willing to offer anything close to what Toronto would want back. They tried to trade for him in February, too, but to no avail.

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 10:30 PM
well they have speedy claxton and tyrone lue who are pretty good pgs but not a future pg...but u atlanta cannot keep all of those wings..its impossible they all deserve or want to start sometime..we can get a back up pg from them either those two or stoudamire

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:33 PM
do u have any idea how many wings they have??? u cant have 4 wings..and they are all very young..joe johnson, marvin williams, josh smith, josh childress...dog cant keep all of them forever

I live here....so I know what they've got.

And even if you say it's impossible, and I agree that it's never going to get them anywhere near a championship....that doesn't mean they won't keep on attempting to do it.

They start one of Lue/Claxton/A. Johnson at the 1, Joe Johnson at the 2, Josh Smith at the 3, Marvin Williams at the 4, and Zaza at the 5. Frequently, JJ plays the point and Josh Childress plays the 2 spot. Shelden hardly got any blow and there would literally be times when this was the starting 5...

It's rediculous and it stunts their growth as players having to play out of position and get such sporadic minutes....but that didn't stop Billy Knight from drafting them all and it didn't stop Mike Woodson from playing to the hand he was dealt...

But just because it's not ideal doesn't mean the Hawks will give up one of their wings for crap....

Here's a reasonable trade:

Devin Harris/Desagana Diop for Josh Childress and #11

or

Luke Ridnour/Johan Petro for Childress and #11

or the biggun...

Zach Randolph/Jarrett Jack for Josh Smith and #3

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:37 PM
well they have speedy claxton and tyrone lue who are pretty good pgs but not a future pg...but u atlanta cannot keep all of those wings..its impossible they all deserve or want to start sometime..we can get a back up pg from them either those two or stoudamire

Claxton is a MAJOR bust for all the money that he's being paid. Chalk it up as another bad decision by the Billy Knight and the Hawks FO. Their need for a PG got so bad that they traded the #34 pick in one of the deeper drafts in league history to Dallas for Anthony FRIGGIN Johnson. Ahh Billy Knight... :bang

Tyronn Lue has actually been a bright spot for this team. He seems to reach the young guys and provide a scoring punch of the bench....which is why it wouldn't suprise me to see him traded before the draft :lol

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Seriously, the Spurs don't have anything the Hawks would want...especially for what you're asking in return.

Cry Havoc
06-21-2007, 10:40 PM
The 28th, 58th, Elson, and Brent for the 11th pick. :smokin I'd have a heart attack if that happened.

Yeah, that would be awesome. I think they would consider it, too. Although I don't know if we want to give up Elson, having a shot at Acie Law would be insanity.

I'd do just about anything to get Brewer, but I know that's not gonna happen. Still, if we somehow managed to bag a top 5 pick and got that young long SF... man... I would just dance up and down the block, naked.

You can all take pictures and then burn them if it happens.

Cry Havoc
06-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Seriously, the Spurs don't have anything the Hawks would want...especially for what you're asking in return.

A decent backup PG and an athletic big man along with two picks to get deeper young talent for one pick they aren't totally in love with, since they want a vet?

SenorSpur
06-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Claxton is a MAJOR bust for all the money that he's being paid. Chalk it up as another bad decision by the Billy Knight and the Hawks FO. Their need for a PG got so bad that they traded the #34 pick in one of the deeper drafts in league history to Dallas for Anthony FRIGGIN Johnson. Ahh Billy Knight... :bang

Tyronn Lue has actually been a bright spot for this team. He seems to reach the young guys and provide a scoring punch of the bench....which is why it wouldn't suprise me to see him traded before the draft :lol

The Hawks have never lived down passing over two franchise PGs in Chris Paul and Deron Williams. They cannot afford to make the same mistake three times. They MUST take Mike Conley, Jr.

ThomasGranger
06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
The Hawks have never lived down passing over two franchise PGs in Chris Paul and Deron Williams. They cannot afford to make the same mistake three times. They MUST take Mike Conley, Jr.

They'll take Horford and the best PG left at #11 (probably Crittenton).

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 10:56 PM

And yet the word is that they are in love with Javaris Crittenton (a local GTech prospect)...who is by far the most raw project-type of the lottery PGs.

And, as previously stated, they've tried repeatedly to grab another PG....first it was Luke Ridnour, then Jarrett Jack, now Jose Calderon.

Billy Knight is the WORST GM IN SPORTS...and yes I know Isaiah hasn't been fired!

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:05 PM
A decent backup PG and an athletic big man along with two picks to get deeper young talent for one pick they aren't totally in love with, since they want a vet?

They're asking for what they feel would be a legitimate starting PG...in Jarrett Jack, Luke Ridnour, Jose Calderon. Something tells me Beno Udrih doesn't exactly belong in that company. They already have an overpaid Speedy Claxton, Anthony Johnson, and Tyronn Lue to fill that "backup PG" role....not to mention that Joe Johnson runs the point for a good 10MPG.

As far as Elson, I'll give you that. The Hawks FO does love athleticism and is trying to run a frenetic, fast-paced offense...but he, along with a swap of picks, wouldn't be enough.

And I would normally say that Brent Barry's veteran presence and expiring contract would be positives, but here's the deal....I don't exactly think Brent would resonate with these players. No offense but a middle-aged white guy isn't going to have much to say to young 20-something black kids. And here's the more tragic part....that $6M the Hawks would pick up in 2008 would go to waste because no good player wants to come here...it's really sad. Eddy Curry could've had a MAX deal, but he spurned the meet-n-greet and skipped town before the Hawks could even make a pitch.

Trust me...I've seen enough in my time here to appreciate Spurs basketball for the rest of my life....

lordswing
06-21-2007, 11:05 PM
All of these Spurs-related trades to get the #3 picks are terrible for the Hawks, I wouldn't see them doing any of them. All of a sudden, Beno's some super back-up PG that just needs some playing time, and the Hawks swings all just dropped in value just because they have too many of them...

None of the available PGs right now are worth it for the Hawks, except for Billups, and he's getting up there in age. I'd rather see the Hawks sit tight and draft Conley at #3, or get Crittenton at #11 (I go to Tech, this would be awesome for me, since the Falcons couldn't get CJ, =/). Jarret Jack, Luke Ridnour I don't see as being better than Crittenton, let alone Conley in the future. I'm still unsure about Devin Harris, he'll definitely help, but in that proposed trade scenario, I feel the Hawks would be giving up too much, and I don't see the Mavs trading away their PG of the future.

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
well what about scola??? and a few picks either in this year or later drafts??? they can use a low post scorer..i just dont see marvin williams ever being a good power forward in the nba...hawks really have to realize they cant keep all of those wing players..but like i said i want salim stoudamire...he shouldnt be to hard to get

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
All of these Spurs-related trades to get the #3 picks are terrible for the Hawks, I wouldn't see them doing any of them. All of a sudden, Beno's some super back-up PG that just needs some playing time, and the Hawks swings all just dropped in value just because they have too many of them...

None of the available PGs right now are worth it for the Hawks, except for Billups, and he's getting up there in age. I'd rather see the Hawks sit tight and draft Conley at #3, or get Crittenton at #11 (I go to Tech, this would be awesome for me, since the Falcons couldn't get CJ, =/). Jarret Jack, Luke Ridnour I don't see as being better than Crittenton, let alone Conley in the future. I'm still unsure about Devin Harris, he'll definitely help, but in that proposed trade scenario, I feel the Hawks would be giving up too much, and I don't see the Mavs trading away their PG of the future.

Crittenton should be good in a year or two, but there's no doubt that he has the most "projectability" to being a solid point guard than the other two prospects (Conley or Law). Certainly Jack and Ridnour are more proven to this point and are solid if unspectacular. Still, I would say that the Hawks already have three solid (or almost solid) but unspectacular PGs.

I agree that the Devin Harris trade proposal was a stretch, so how's this one....

Hawks trade Josh Childress, Speedy Claxton, and #11 pick for Jason Terry. I know Terry is more of a scoring guard, but he would take some of the scoring load off of JJ and put him in more of a distributor role. It would unclog them at the wings a bit and give them a legitimate PG (albeit in a scoring role).

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 11:25 PM
wow dallas would be getting alot...i hope this trade never happens...i like childress..but the only bad thing about dallas is that i dont think devin harris can run the team...actually hell no there is no way in hell he can

lordswing
06-21-2007, 11:26 PM
outside of JJ, salim's their only 3pt threat. josh smith takes a bunch of 3s, but he's not that accurate. scola's a good player and all, but i don't see the money he'd cost (even if the Spurs trade the rights, he'd still have to be bought out for what, $2.5M? PLUS the salary he'd command, somewhere in the $5-8M range I bet). What PICKS do the Spurs have that would entice the Hawks? Honestly? The Spurs never have high draft picks, which would negate the whole deal, since the Spurs don't have any picks in the teens, nor the veterans that the Hawks so desire (I see Horry retiring if he got traded to the Hawks, Elson isn't a "veteran", I'd like to see Oberto play in Atlanta, but I don't see that happening, and Barry is just a crappier version of JJ)

*edit*The Jason Terry experiment didn't work for the Hawks the first time, I don't think it'll work the 2nd time. They have their scoring options in JJ and JSmooth, what they need is someone that will pass the ball to JJ and JSmooth so they can do their thing, and be able to hit a jumper if one of them gets double-teamed.

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:26 PM
well what about scola??? and a few picks??? they can use a low post scorer..i just dont see marvin williams ever being a good power forward in the nba...hawks really have to realize they cant keep all of those wing players..but like i said i want salim stoudamire...he shouldnt be to hard to get

This is not a knock on Scola because he is a talented low-post scorer, but the Hawks have enough guys that can play the PF role and not enough guys that can pull of Center.

As much as I think he's a role player and not a future star, I wouldn't mind seeing Joakim Noah in a Hawks uni. He brings interior toughness and an edge to a team looking for identity and defense.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-21-2007, 11:28 PM
The guy I keep coming back to in my head is Marcus Camby, but I just can't see what the package would be for him...

exactly :smokin

He doesnt have a low post game but his rebounding, interior defense and veteran leadership would be HUGE in Atlanta.

Camby for a combo of a pick, childress, wright (exp contract) & Salim S :smokin

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
This is not a knock on Scola because he is a talented low-post scorer, but the Hawks have enough guys that can play the PF role and not enough guys that can pull of Center.

As much as I think he's a role player and not a future star, I wouldn't mind seeing Joakim Noah in a Hawks uni. He brings interior toughness and an edge to a team looking for identity and defense.

who do they have thats a legit pf?? and dont say marvin williams..they have no low post scoring

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
wow dallas would be getting alot...i hope this trade never happens...i like childress..but the only bad thing about dallas is that i dont think devin harris can run the team...actually hell no there is no way in hell he can

Oh I didn't say it would be good for the Spurs...I seem to have moved into my Hawkfan mode. I also forgot to include Diop in that little deal, which might even it out some....

On Harris, you pose a legitimate question, but I'm not sure the Mavs are ever really going to see what they have in this kid as long as Terry, and his much larger contract, are there. Plus, having Speedy as a backup (WHERE HE SHOULD BE!) would take alot of the pressure off Devin.

DAMMIT...I'm making arguments FOR the Mavs.

That's it, I'm going to bed...

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Actually, that wont work unless Childress can play SG, but he is more of a SF isnt he?

Ai/JR/Melo/Evans (till kmart gets healthier)\Nene

Blake/Childress/LK/Kmart/11th pick/Najera/Stoudamire - bench

lordswing
06-21-2007, 11:33 PM

He doesnt have a low post game but his rebounding, interior defense and veteran leadership would be HUGE in Atlanta.

I like this, minus Salim. You guys can have Shelden, I hate that Douche trash. That'll open up playing time for Marvin, the Hawks can draft my boy Crittenton, and the games that Camby misses won't be so bad, since Zaza can still contribute, as long as Camby's ready in the playoffs.

*edit*Childress can play SG/SF, he rebounds pretty well, and Ds up too. His shot is pretty ugly to watch though, =/ Any guard will do in Denver, they just need to know to pass to AI/Melo tbh

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:34 PM
who do they have thats a legit pf?? and dont say marvin williams..they have no low post scoring

Perhaps I should've phrased it better...because the only low-post PF they have is Shelden Williams and he was less than impressive (benefit of doubt b/c of injury) last year.

What I meant to say was that the Hawks have a bunch of guys that can play the PF position, but really only one guy that they can slot in at Center...and that's Zaza Pachulia, who's game is more that of a PF.

In other words...they couldn't get away with playing Scola, at 6'9 240, at Center.

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Doesn't work b/c Wright's contract isn't big enough I don't think. And isn't Blake (who you mention in your next post) a FA?

Here's the re-worked deal...

Camby for Childress, #11, and Claxton

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 11:38 PM
well duh..start scola and willams at the center...zaza can rotate with whoever..but every team needs somebody who can score on the blocks..and williams cant even when healthy he is their inside defender and rebounder..i think scola could fit in atlanta

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 11:41 PM
and people...there can always be another team involved in the trade..it doesnt have to be only spurs/hawks..u can throw in a team maybe like denver..i think denver could use barry

lordswing
06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Marvin can't play Center, as strong as he is, he'll get destroyed by legitimate centers. Even if Scola fits in Atlanta, you still have to worry about his salary and buyout.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Doesn't work b/c Wright's contract isn't big enough I don't think. And isn't Blake (who you mention in your next post) a FA?

Here's the re-worked deal...

Camby for Childress, #11, and Claxton

Yeh Blake is a FA and i actually think a team will throw too much money at him and Denver wont resign.

AFBlue
06-21-2007, 11:44 PM
well duh..start scola and willams at the center...zaza can rotate with whoever..but every team needs somebody who can score on the blocks..and williams cant even when healthy he is their inside defender and rebounder..i think scola could fit in atlanta

Fine, I'll concede Scola could work in Atlanta....but read the posts above and look at what the Hawks could get for #11 and one of their wings.

It's really a moot point anyways, because like Lordswing said, they'll probably stand pat at #3 to draft Horford and take Crittenton at #11.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-21-2007, 11:47 PM
and people...there can always be another team involved in the trade..it doesnt have to be only spurs/hawks..u can throw in a team maybe like denver..i think denver could use barry

they sure could. As long as they get the 11th pick and some decent pieces for the bench, then id be happy :smokin

Barry would add some good veteran help off the bench. Too many young guys off the bench is painful to watch

coachmac87
06-21-2007, 11:48 PM
how about this trade may sound dumb but hey it fits needs for all teams...
atl-camby and butler
den-barry and atl 11 pick or even 3rd
sa-childress and stoudamire

and if not butler maybe elson

lordswing
06-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm for that trade, from the Hawks POV. They'll get their PG in Crittenton at #11, allows Butler to be their future Center, and Camby/Zaza combo would be pretty good.

I don't see what's in it for Denver though, they don't need another PG, so Conley's out. They'd be down a center, would they get Yi at #3? That would be such a huge dropoff in talent right there. Barry would fit in I guess, since it'd be difficult for teams to double team Melo or AI, while leaving Barry open.

The Spurs get their coveted long 3 in Childress?? I'd rather have Barry than Stoudamire, as Barry knows the system already, and Stoudamire's still pretty raw.

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm for that trade, from the Hawks POV. They'll get their PG in Crittenton at #11, allows Butler to be their future Center, and Camby/Zaza combo would be pretty good.

I don't see what's in it for Denver though, they don't need another PG, so Conley's out. They'd be down a center, would they get Yi at #3? That would be such a huge dropoff in talent right there. Barry would fit in I guess, since it'd be difficult for teams to double team Melo or AI, while leaving Barry open.

The Spurs get their coveted long 3 in Childress?? I'd rather have Barry than Stoudamire, as Barry knows the system already, and Stoudamire's still pretty raw.

no if denver gets the third pick they should take horford...remember they are getting kmart back this season and nene would become thier center...and i like childress and stoudamire would address our back up pg position..and he is one of the best shooters in the league...

SenorSpur
06-22-2007, 03:19 AM

Billy Knight should have been fired alone for passing on Chris Paul. Instead, the Hawks "shaky" ownership have allowed him to remain and further compound mistakes by continuously drafting players that play the same position.

johngateswhiteley
06-22-2007, 03:41 AM
we aren't getting the #3 pick people....not a chance in the world. i don't think teams would give up a pick in the middle teens (& change) for scola, barry, beno, and our 1st pick...it would get to the point that scola, barry, beno, and our 1st pick would be worth more than what we'd get in return, imo.

SenorSpur
06-22-2007, 03:54 AM
we aren't getting the #3 pick people....not a chance in the world. i don't think teams would give up a pick in the middle teens (& change) for scola, barry, beno, and our 1st pick...it would get to the point that scola, barry, beno, and our 1st pick would be worth more than what we'd get in return, imo.

That's is correct. The more likely scenario is the Hawks would be looking to deal their 2nd 1st round pick, which is #11 overall. I doubt the Spurs have enough assets to get this pick, but we are talking about dealing with Hawks GM Billy Knight, so anything is possible.

Any combination of Scola, Barry, Beno and our first round pick (#28 overall) should be enough to at least get a conversation started. The Spurs would be crazy not to at least place a call.

johngateswhiteley
06-22-2007, 04:07 AM
That's is correct. The more likely scenario is the Hawks would be looking to deal their 2nd 1st round pick, which is #11 overall. I doubt the Spurs have enough assets to get this pick, but we are talking about dealing with Hawks GM Billy Knight, so anything is possible.

Any combination of Scola, Barry, Beno and our first round pick (#28 overall) should be enough to at least get a conversation started. The Spurs would be crazy not to at least place a call.

whats funny is people acting like Barry is garbage, Barry is a good player and usually solid in games he gets decent time. imo, its hard to defend trading Scola, Barry, Beno, and our 1st pick for anything lower than a #15 pick...problem is getting teams to do it as they always over value their pick.

for the record, along these same lines, i think Durant and Oden will be good players....but if seattle and portland offered their pick for Parker, i'd say no. and i'd feel good about it...."a bird in the hand people....a bird in the hand..."

MrChug
06-22-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm so fucking rediculously sick of these "Trade the Rights to Scola" posts, I need to shoot someone I don't know...namely someone who types the words "trade the rights to Scola".

MajorMike
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Beno, Barry, Scola, Pick # 28 = Pick # 3

johngateswhiteley
06-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Beno, Barry, Scola, Pick # 28 = Pick # 3

whether it equals or not is irrelevant...its not going to happen.

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 07:55 AM
News @ #11....

Acie Law cancelled a scheduled workout with the Hornets, who hold the #13 pick, one day after working out for the Hawks, who hold the #11 pick.

It's leading to speculation that Acie received a promise from the Hawks @ #11.

So if the Hawks are trading a pick, it would likely be the #3 pick....and Barry, Beno, Scola's rights, and #28 won't be enough.

regio
06-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Tony Parker for their 3 and 11 picks plus Josh Smith. Then we could draft Mike Conley, and Acie Law to replace Parker, and we would even have more money for the 08 plan to land a free agent. I know you never trade a 25 year old finals MVP, but that trade would make me think about it for a few seconds :spin

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Tony Parker for their 3 and 11 picks plus Josh Smith. Then we could draft Mike Conley, and Acie Law to replace Parker, and we would even have more money for the 08 plan to land a free agent. I know you never trade a 25 year old finals MVP, but that trade would make me think about it for a few seconds :spin

That tops the "never gonna happen" category....but it's not a half-bad trade.

Except, I'd grab Horford @ #3 over Conley and put him right next to Duncan. I'd still take Law to run the point for the Spurs and probably trade for another veteran type (Knight?).

Josh Smith has improved every year in this league despite playing out of position most of the time, not being mentored, being a part of a horribly run organization, and not being expertly coached. If this kid came to the Spurs he'd be an all-star within two years....

MoSpur
06-22-2007, 09:55 AM
The Hawks have a lot of young guys and two picks at #3 and #11. They are in the right by wanting a veteran player to help them out. The Spurs are full of veterans. LOL

michaelwcho
06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Isn't there a part of you that's jealous that Atlanta always gets to play with these high draft picks, getting to choose among the most athletic and talented players in the world? And we're always hoping to pick something nice off the scrap heap. How do teams like that and the Clippers, who are always getting such talented players, manage to screw up so consistently. It's actually impressive that you can have so many top ten draft picks and still suck--can you imagine on the playground, if you were allowed to pick the first five and the other teams has what's left, and it still kicks your a**s constantly?

lordswing
06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Isn't there a part of you that's jealous that Atlanta always gets to play with these high draft picks, getting to choose among the most athletic and talented players in the world? And we're always hoping to pick something nice off the scrap heap. How do teams like that and the Clippers, who are always getting such talented players, manage to screw up so consistently. It's actually impressive that you can have so many top ten draft picks and still suck--can you imagine on the playground, if you were allowed to pick the first five and the other teams has what's left, and it still kicks your a**s constantly?

You shut your mouth, do not, for a SECOND, be jealous of the Hawks constant high draft picks. I live in Atlanta, and when basketball season ends in the regular season, it's so damn quiet. You have the choices of the Braves, the Georgia Force, and college football is still so damn far away

SpurOutofTownFan
06-22-2007, 10:45 AM
They're asking for what they feel would be a legitimate starting PG...in Jarrett Jack, Luke Ridnour, Jose Calderon. Something tells me Beno Udrih doesn't exactly belong in that company. They already have an overpaid Speedy Claxton, Anthony Johnson, and Tyronn Lue to fill that "backup PG" role....not to mention that Joe Johnson runs the point for a good 10MPG.

As far as Elson, I'll give you that. The Hawks FO does love athleticism and is trying to run a frenetic, fast-paced offense...but he, along with a swap of picks, wouldn't be enough.

And I would normally say that Brent Barry's veteran presence and expiring contract would be positives, but here's the deal....I don't exactly think Brent would resonate with these players. No offense but a middle-aged white guy isn't going to have much to say to young 20-something black kids. And here's the more tragic part....that $6M the Hawks would pick up in 2008 would go to waste because no good player wants to come here...it's really sad. Eddy Curry could've had a MAX deal, but he spurned the meet-n-greet and skipped town before the Hawks could even make a pitch.

Trust me...I've seen enough in my time here to appreciate Spurs basketball for the rest of my life....

Phat Tony, what's the deal with Batista, are they going to use it at all?

michaelwcho
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
You shut your mouth, do not, for a SECOND, be jealous of the Hawks constant high draft picks. I live in Atlanta, and when basketball season ends in the regular season, it's so damn quiet. You have the choices of the Braves, the Georgia Force, and college football is still so damn far away

:)

Soul_Patch
06-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Tony Parker for their 3 and 11 picks plus Josh Smith. Then we could draft Mike Conley, and Acie Law to replace Parker, and we would even have more money for the 08 plan to land a free agent. I know you never trade a 25 year old finals MVP, but that trade would make me think about it for a few seconds

I honestly really like this idea. But im not a huge tony parker fan.

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Phat Tony, what's the deal with Batista, are they going to use it at all?

He's just not that good and the Hawks have a bunch of 6'9 guys that they have to fit on the court....so they shift a guy like Zaza to C and play Marvin Williams at the 4, out of position IMO.

Batista stays on their active roster for the most part, but it's fairly telling that they play him so little.

Then again, they didn't play Boris Diaw at all in Atlanta and he is at least a good role player on a championship calibur team...even if he is overpaid.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
They should give him more minutes IMO. He was #1 in rpg during his last south american tournament. Without minutes he's rusty as hell.

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 02:27 PM

OK YALL ARE ALL FUCKIN IDIOTS....I NEVER SAID THE SPURS WERE GETING THE THIRD PICK!!! IT WOULD BE DENVER GETTING THE THIRD OR THE 11TH..NOT THE SPURS....SPURS WOULD GET CHILDRESS AND SALIM STOUDAMIRE!!! RE-LOOK AT THE TRADE DUMBFUCKS..AND IM NOT SAYING IT WOULD WORK OUT EITHER..BUT ITS JUST A POSSIBLE SCENARIO..FUCK!! PEOPLE CANT READ OR WHAT

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 02:27 PM
how about this trade may sound dumb but hey it fits needs for all teams...
atl-camby and butler
den-barry and atl 11 pick or even 3rd
sa-childress and stoudamire

and if not butler maybe elson

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
no if denver gets the third pick they should take horford...remember they are getting kmart back this season and nene would become thier center...and i like childress and stoudamire would address our back up pg position..and he is one of the best shooters in the league...

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Salim Stoudamire is one of the streakiest shooters in the league...not nearly one of the best. He was one of the best college shooters, but he takes loads of shots with Atlanta and doesn't hit them at nearly the clip he did in college.

If the Spurs wanted Stoudamire, I bet all they'd have to offer is rights to Javtokas....j/k.

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Salim Stoudamire is one of the streakiest shooters in the league...not nearly one of the best. He was one of the best college shooters, but he takes loads of shots with Atlanta and doesn't hit them at nearly the clip he did in college.

If the Spurs wanted Stoudamire, I bet all they'd have to offer is rights to Javtokas....j/k.

ya hes playing on the hawks!!! i would think his 3pt percentage would increase alot since he would be getting open threes from tim duncan double teams...there is a reason why the spurs are one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the league!!