PDA

View Full Version : Morris Almond works out for Spurs

ducks
06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Everybody loves Morris Almond. For one thing, he can shoot like it's going out of style. The 6-6 guard was third in the nation with a 26.4 scoring average, with seven double doubles. He can shake his defender a million different ways, and is always ready to shoot and make. He's also not a bad rebounder.

But the real story is that he was one of the best students in the draft. He talks with pride about his time at Rice, on and off the court. And when I approached him about being interviewed for TrueHoop's "Just Pick Me Already" series, his response was that he would happily be interviewed, but he'd also kind of like to write his own contribution. Never even occurred to me to ask. Below, without any editing whatsoever (which means he makes fewer typos than me) is his first contribution, written late yesterday:

What a process. When the opportunity came to write this piece for TrueHoop, I jumped at it, almost for the sole reason that it gave me something new to do during the down times in the hotels and airport terminals (I'm sitting at my gate awaiting a flight as I type this).

I just finished a workout and interview with the San Antonio Spurs. They are the ninth different team that I have visited and auditioned for as the upcoming NBA draft approaches. I have four more stops to make before I finish my draft "tour," as I like to call it.

As you probably already know, its pretty much the same routine for each team you visit -- on-the-court drills and competitions with two or three other prospects, followed by an "interview" meeting with the GM, coaching staff, and other team executives. That's the best part of the process -- being able to showcase and present yourself to all the different teams in such an up-close and personal manner.

As a competitor, I was excited and hungry to prove my worth as one of the top shooting guards in this year's draft.

The adrenaline I usually have before each workout usually makes me forget (for the time being) about the other less glamorous part of the process: traveling from team to team and navigating through those concrete jungles they call airports. Don't get me wrong -- I won't dare complain about any part of the draft process, because I don't take this opportunity for granted.

Like Coach Popovich said at the conclusion of my last workout: "There are worse places you could be flying to ... you could be on a flight to Iraq serving your country rather than flying to an NBA city." As the son of a retired Army veteran, I agree wholeheartedly.

But if there is a 'downside' to the process, most players would agree that it's the travel. The delayed flights. The cancelled flights. The additional security screenings. The chatterbox passenger in the seat next to you. The jet lag.

If you're 6'6 or taller like myself, the two magic words in any airport are EXIT ROW. Those are a must-have, especially for those three and four hour plane rides. Last week, I visited five different cities, for five different teams, in five days. And one of those teams was in LA, one was in Miami, and one was in Detroit.

By the time I finished the last city in that string, I had listened to every track on my 3,500 song ipod, read through every magazine I was even remotely interested in on the airport newsstands, and even broke down and cracked open a book or two. You know I was desperate for some kind of entertainment at that point.

You get used to the drill quickly though. When you remember what's at stake, and how long you've persevered to reach this point in your life and career, it makes it all seem like a very small price to pay. Personally, after my recent college graduation, this will be the next big milestone in my life. Things will all start to fall into place as the seconds, minutes, hours, and days creep slowly towards the 28th. It'll feel good to finally have an answer to the question I get asked all the time in the airports and hotels: "Which team do you play for?" Get back at me in about a week for that one.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...is-Almond.html

Mitch Cumsteen
06-22-2007, 10:29 AM
God I hope he is there at 28.

degenerate_gambler
06-22-2007, 10:44 AM
i do too

SsKSpurs21
06-22-2007, 10:55 AM
are there any mock draft sites which show where this guy is projected? and do the spurs have any chance of landing him?

ThomasGranger
06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Definitely Spurs material. Sounds like he should be able to adjust to the NBA fairly quickly. If the Spurs land him and a serviceable back-up PG at 33 I'll be very happy.

Russ
06-22-2007, 11:01 AM
If he's there at 28, it's a no-brainer.

ThomasGranger
06-22-2007, 11:01 AM
are there any mock draft sites which show where this guy is projected? and do the spurs have any chance of landing him?

Most mocks I've seen have him going low 20s. I think the last one I checked (yesterday) had him going to Charlotte.

edit: just checked draft.net and things look more promising there. They have him going to Seattle at the beginning of the second.

http://www.nbadraft.net/

Russ
06-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Most mocks I've seen have him going low 20s. I think the last one I checked (yesterday) had him going to Charlotte.
On the other hand, I've seen mocks with Almond going to the Spurs at 33.

Ocotillo
06-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I think most mocks still understate how many international players will be drafted. I think there is a good chance he will be there because there are always suprises in the first round. I can't wait for draft night!

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Depends on what other teams need SGs. Charlotte, Utah, Phoenix are all there, although it sounds like Phoenix is trying to trade up using their two picks.

It partly depends on whether Derrick Byars has been selected, who is probably higher rated. I see Miami taking Byars.

But yes, I think Almond will be selected by either the Bobcats or Jazz. I don't see the Jazz passing on him.

spursincharge
06-22-2007, 11:16 AM
does he have any handles? Can he drive to the hoop?

Soul_Patch
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I know i read everywhere he is a sharpshooter on offense. Anyone have anything about his defense?

Soul_Patch
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Alot of mock drafts have him going in the late 20's early 30's

Mr. Body
06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Doesn't have great handles and is not a great slasher, but is crafty with his moves and gets fouled a lot. Was by far the best player on his team, so drew tons of defensive attention. Like many offensive-oriented players, his defense is not great, In part this was to save himself for scoring. He is also not a superb athlete.

SenorSpur
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
According to ESPN's Jay Bilas:

Morris Almond: 6'6" 215 lbs:
"Scorer. Has good mid-range game. Solid athlete with long arms and big hands. Much improved perimeter shooter. Needs to improve ball handling and defense. Should make a good pro."

He's listed as the 4th best shooting guard in the draft. Currently projected for mid-to-late 1st round.

tmtcsc
06-22-2007, 01:49 PM
We need young guys that take the ball to the hole. I like that he can shoot the 3 but we need more people to drive to the rim when Tony and Manu can't.

mardigan
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
i really doubt that he will be available to the SPurs at 28, if they really want him they might have to move up

MoSpur
06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Sounds good. I think his defense can improve. If he is there for the taking, do it. I'd rather have Byars though.

BigBeezie
06-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a good player. I expect the Spurs to fill needs for the next couple of years in this draft.

MoSpur
06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
This draft better be one of those years the Spurs actually keep their pick and play him. Its too deep not to in my opinion.

ducks
06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
We need young guys that take the ball to the hole. I like that he can shoot the 3 but we need more people to drive to the rim when Tony and Manu can't.
we need young shooters
get slshers next yezr
manu and tp are still here

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 04:08 PM
This draft better be one of those years the Spurs actually keep their pick and play him. Its too deep not to in my opinion.

Depends on the roster situation....

Even if Almond beat out White on the depth chart, he'd still have to compete with veterans Finley, Barry, and Bowen for minutes.

Obviously a trade or opt-out by one of these guys changes the equation a bit...but a guys like Almond/ Byars/ Dudley/ Afflalo will have an uphill battle to get minutes with this Spurs team...at least next year.

MoSpur
06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Depends on the roster situation....

Even if Almond beat out White on the depth chart, he'd still have to compete with veterans Finley, Barry, and Bowen for minutes.

Obviously a trade or opt-out by one of these guys changes the equation a bit...but a guys like Almond/ Byars/ Dudley/ Afflalo will have an uphill battle to get minutes with this Spurs team...at least next year.

In a way you're right, but I don't think Pop cares who is in front of him on the depth chart. If he outplays any of them, he'll get minutes. Just like Tony did his rookie year.

AFBlue
06-22-2007, 04:17 PM
In a way you're right, but I don't think Pop cares who is in front of him on the depth chart. If he outplays any of them, he'll get minutes. Just like Tony did his rookie year.

I agree that Pop holds everyone accountable, including his superstars and veterans....

But, I don't think it's that cut and dry. The talent level of the veteran playing in front of the rookie has something to do with it as well I believe.

For instance, I think if Gabe Pruitt was drafted by the Spurs he would have a much better chance of unseating Jacque Vaughn as the backup PG, than a guy like Morris would of unseating Barry/Fin.

If it did happen though, Barry would get traded because he would be viewed as ultimately expendable.

El_Mago
06-22-2007, 04:39 PM
If you want to get a better understanding of what type of player Morris Almond is or will probably be in the league:

ALAN HOUSTON

Avitus1
06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I hope hes still around when its time to take a pick.

mardigan
06-22-2007, 06:13 PM
If you want to get a better understanding of what type of player Morris Almond is or will probably be in the league:

ALAN HOUSTON
Not at all.

exstatic
06-22-2007, 06:43 PM

ALAN HOUSTON
Michael Redd.

El_Mago
06-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Not at all.

Funny, I guess you know Almonds game better than HE does.

Almond has gone on record himself and has honestly claimed that he compares his game to Allan Houston's. Thats who he mirrored his game after.

But then again, I suppose you know more about his game, then he does. :drunk

EvenFlow
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
He actually thinks his game is more along the lines of Rip Hamilton.

El_Mago
06-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Really?

Almond is on video claiming that he believes his game is more like Allan Houston.

Russ
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Really?

Almond is on video claiming that he believes his game is more like Allan Houston.
He read about Houston's contract. :toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2007, 09:04 PM
He read about Houston's contract. :toast
:p:

EvenFlow
06-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Really?

He could've said that, but he said Rip Hamilton on during the
draftexpress interview. Maybe he was just trying to sell himself better
by saying Rip instead of Houston.