PDA

View Full Version : Rubs Me Raw: Don't believe the hype about LeBron (article)

ducks
06-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Rubs Me Raw: Don't believe the hype about LeBron

Web Posted: 06/21/2007 12:05 PM CDT

Rick Taylor
Express-News Staff Writer

I am witness.

advertisement

I am witness to the single biggest hype in the history of sports. So are you.

I am witness to the Jordan-ization of LeBron James. If we are to believe the national media, which spewed forth hours of James hype, then James is the greatest player since Michael Jordan. If not ever.

All courtesy, and this should come as no surprise, of those objective masterminds at ABC/ESPN.

Never mind that James didn’t win an NBA championship -- or even a single game in the Finals -- to earn this distinction as the next Jordan. MJ may have lost a championship game here and there, but he never failed to win an NBA Finals series.

Never mind that James passed up a chance to win or tie Game 3 by passing to Anderson Varejao -- Anderson Varejao? -- with time winding down. Jordan almost always took those shots and made them.

Rubs me Raw
Got a gripe or complaint for Rick Taylor? Use the form below and fire away!
*Your name

*Your e-mail

Your hometown

*Your question

*Required

Never mind that James consistently made the wrong decisions late in games during the playoffs. Jordan rarely did that, either.

James is not to blame, however. He’s not the one creating this. He is a young player who is going to be great one day.

But …

The entire NBA Finals was a disgusting showcase in creating hype to create buzz, which would create ratings to create lots of money for ABC/ESPN. How delicious it is that the NBA Finals earned almost Stanley Cup Finals-type ratings.

I watched the NBA Finals figuring people are smart enough to want more than this. They want more than hype. They want substance.

But …

I was then reminded by somebody a little more savvy than me that these are the same people who are watching “American Idol.”

OK, I was wrong.

The most ridiculous of many ridiculous moments followed Game 3. If you care not to relive that game, quite likely the ugliest in sports history, stop reading now. But if you are bold and daring, remember that James was fouled by Bruce Bowen with time winding down on a 3-pointer that would tie the game. The referees, apparently not getting the memo regarding the James hype from ABC/ESPN, did not make the call.

Of course, there is ABC/ESPN after the game playing up the controversy angle. James was fouled for crying out loud was their mantra. The message being that just like they did in Phoenix series, the referees are taking it easy on the Spurs.

True, James was fouled. Probably in the motion of shooting.

James should have received three free throws.

But isn’t LeBron James the same player who air-balled a free throw in Game 2 in San Antonio? The same player who missed free throws earlier in the playoffs that would tie or win games? The same player who, with the exception of one magnificent performance against Detroit, had not shown the ability to be a clutch player in these playoffs? Even in that contest, Game 5 in Detroit, James missed three free throws in succession in the fourth quarter that would have prevented the game from going to overtime

Now he’s going to make three free throws and send Game 3 of the NBA Finals into overtime?

No. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Bahram Mark Sobhani/E-N

LeBron James was under the media spotlight throughout the NBA Finals.
The LeBron James Hype Machine got going full force, of course, in that aforementioned Detroit game. He was brilliant. He showed magical skill and ability. He is the future of the league.

But think about this: That was really the only time he was brilliant in the playoffs. In the closeout game against Detroit, it was the player formerly known Daniel Gibson (when he did he start going by Boobie?) who scored 31 to beat the Pistons. And also remember that James didn’t do anything out of the ordinary against the Spurs.

How many times would that have happened to Michael Jordan?

Is LeBron James really ready to carry the NBA?

Only if you listen to ABC/ESPN.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062107.rubsmeraw.25bab8b0.html

resistanze
06-22-2007, 10:50 AM
So justification for the no-call for James is that he would have likely missed one of the FTs? I guess Shaq and Tim Duncan will never see FTs again. :lol

So people seriously get paid for writing articles like this? I should really consider a change in my career path.

michaelwcho
06-22-2007, 11:12 AM
So justification for the no-call for James is that he would have likely missed one of the FTs? I guess Shaq and Tim Duncan will never see FTs again. :lol

So people seriously get paid for writing articles like this? I should really consider a change in my career path.

I'm not sure they get paid.