PDA

View Full Version : Spurs reign supreme in Brownsville

celldweller
06-22-2007, 10:40 AM
www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/spurs_77383___article.html/fan_win.html (http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/spurs_77383___article.html/fan_win.html)

Spurs reign supreme in Brownsville

BY JARRET JOHNSON/The Brownsville Herald ([email protected])

June 14, 2007 - 11:55PM
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/pictures/1181883305-spurs.jpg Liza Longoria/The Brownsville Herald
Tom Gutierrez, 31, holds up his good luck charm at Hooter's in Brownsville while watching the San Antonio Spurs take on the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 4 of the NBA Finals in Cleveland.

The people have spoken — Brownsville loves the San Antonio Spurs.

As the closest major professional sports team (NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB) to Brownsville, at about 278 miles or around a 4½ hour drive, the Spurs have a large and loyal fan base here on the border.

“I’ve been a fan all my life, ever since they had The Admiral (David Robinson). I wish they could bring him back,” said Tom Gutierrez, a 31 year-old terminal operator and Brownsville resident. “If the Spurs win then we’re going to drink a lot of beer tonight to celebrate, and then, I will finish celebrating next weekend in San Antonio when I go up to my sister’s (house).”

Gutierrez was throwing back beers and eating wings with his pal Nick Bazan at Hooters, cheering with the rest of the crowd every time the Spurs scored.

Combine the relative close proximity with the fact that Tim Duncan and crew have now won four NBA Championships in the past nine years (‘99, ‘03, ‘05 and ‘07) and you have a citywide party like the one that occurred Thursday night that mirrors the scene at Hooters.

Many more local Spurs fans flocked to drinking establishments to witness San Antonio sweep the Cleveland Cavaliers with a 83-82 win to secure their fourth NBA crown.

And why not?

The Spurs were in the midst of making history as the most successful pro sports team in the past decade. Since 1997, San Antonio’s winning percentage is the highest of any major U.S. sports franchise (.709) and has won more rings than anyone else in that time span.

The New England Patriots (‘02, ‘04 and ‘05), New York Yankees (‘98, ‘99 and ‘00), Los Angeles Lakers (‘00-‘02) and Detroit Red Wings (‘97, ‘98 and ‘02) have all won three championships apiece.

“They are definitely a dynasty. They’re up there, top five all-time, and they’ll win two or three more max with Tim Duncan,” said Emmanuel Carro, a 26 year-old computer tech. “I can’t celebrate much tonight though, I have to work tomorrow.”

Not everyone out on Thursday was a Spurs fan though. Benny Castro, a soon to be senior at Porter High School, was even brave enough to wear a LeBron James jersey amongst a sea of black and silver.

“I’m more of a LeBron fan than a Cleveland fan,” Castro said. “I’m a fan of the NBA, but I don’t like the Spurs. LeBron won’t be the best ever by the time he’s done, that’s Jordan, but he’ll be top five.”

Over at Buffalo Wild Wings there was one Cleveland fan cheering against the masses. Mary Avila, a 23 year-old television personality and recent University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College graduate, showed off her impressive basketball knowledge.

“I’m disappointed in the Cavs because the Spurs are double and triple teaming LeBron and no one else is stepping up,” Avila said. “Boobie (Daniel) Gibson is going to be good but they need to get better offen-sively if they want to win a championship. Win or lose, I’ll have another beer on behalf of the Cavs.”

Nancy Garcia, a 27-year-old office manager, was confident about the Spurs’ chances before the series against the Cavaliers began and knew how she and her friends were going to celebrate.

“When I knew we were going to play the Cavs instead of the Pistons I knew we were going to win,” Garcia said. “When they win, we’re just going to keep on drinking.”

In the end, it was old hat for the Spurs and their Brownsville fans. The San Antonio players grabbed the NBA Championship trophy after another victory, and the fans toasted their favorite team and ordered another.

spurscenter
06-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Then the mexican cartel took over and killed everyone

Clutch20
06-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Having attended college in Kingsville Tx. I came to know a lot of Valley people. They're careful about where they place their loyalities, given the history of their forefathers and early South Texas politics.
That the people of Brownsville have decided, in a big way, to support the Black & Silver from San Anto says a lot about just how much pride and confidence they feel in connecting with a Champion of the People.

Eso, con queso!!!!:clap

MoSpur
06-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Its good to know that the Spurs are supported like that down in Valley.