PDA

View Full Version : JET for Noah?

Findog
06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/22/mavs-looking-to-move-terry-for-size/

Wow, I don't like this at all. We do need more size in the backcourt, more interior d and low-post scoring, but I don't see Noah having that much of an impact as a rookie. I didn't watch a lot of college ball, what are some other impressions of him?

ducks
06-22-2007, 12:09 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72041
that is his draft info

monosylab1k
06-22-2007, 12:17 PM
This would make signing Stackhouse a must. If they plan on keeping Stack and bringing Desmond Mason aboard, I'd consider this. Noah gives us tons of energy and defense. He has some decent post moves but I doubt he'd give us much in terms of scoring. This is intriguing but I'm not as sold on Noah as others, this is definitely a risky move.

There's also a rumor about a S/T involving Gerald Wallace for Terry. That might be Mavfan pipe dreaming tho.

Findog
06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I've heard Terry might be used as a trading chip to lure Rashard Lewis in a s-n-t, among others. I'm not opposing to moving JET but it has to be for the right deal. If you're trying to win a title NOW, there's really only 3 or 4 guys in the draft that would put you over the top, and Dallas isn't getting any of those guys.

monosylab1k
06-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Two things Noah brings that Dallas definitely needs - some intensity and some testicles.

ducks
06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Two things Noah brings that Dallas definitely needs - some intensity and some testicles.
and no work ethic

Dirk Nowitzki
06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
FUCK lewis and fuck Noah. Either of them gives us consistent low post scoring. No, no, and HELL NO! :madrun :madrun

monosylab1k
06-22-2007, 01:40 PM
and no work ethic

Chad Ford the ESPN writer says that Noah is working harder than any recruit he's seen this year in preparation for the draft.

ducks
06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
yeah since he does not want to fall in the draft
last offseason he sat and looked at girls on beaches in florida

monosylab1k
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah since he does not want to fall in the draft
last offseason he sat and looked at girls on beaches in florida

well maybe you'll be as right about him as you were about LeBron.

ducks
06-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I am not the only saying this about noah

ducks
06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
well maybe you'll be as right about him as you were about LeBron.
did you watch james against the west in the playoffs with his terrible shooting
23 turnovers
his free throw air ball

td4mvp3
06-22-2007, 03:17 PM
FUCK lewis and fuck Noah. Either of them gives us consistent low post scoring. No, no, and HELL NO! :madrun :madrun
amen. i don't think the focus should be on a point guard, that was not the issue. nowitzki jacking up threes in game 6 was the issue.

Findog
06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
amen. i don't think the focus should be on a point guard, that was not the issue. nowitzki jacking up threes in game 6 was the issue.

Back to the basket guys are rare and valuable -- even damaged goods like Zach Randolph can get an $84 million max deal. And we're resigned to not getting any scoring from our centers since we need Diop and Damp against San Antonio - they allow us to get away without doubling Duncan all the time.

If there's one common thread to the Miami and Golden State series, it's that what we got shredded by a perimeter player. Getting bigger at the PG position isn't a bad thing, IMO, after watching what Wade and Davis did to us. Both those series turned more on those guys playing at an unreal level than Dirk failing to meet expectations. Not saying Dirk didn't come up short, but the two guys on the other team he wasn't guarding had more to do with us losing.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
What the Mavs desperately need are intangibles. They've got plenty of talent, and if they are playing well they have a chance against anybody. The whole attitude by the fanbase of singling individuals out for team failures probably contributes to the yips they feel when the postseason rolls around.

Findog
06-22-2007, 04:13 PM
What the Mavs desperately need are intangibles. They've got plenty of talent, and if they are playing well they have a chance against anybody. The whole attitude by the fanbase of singling individuals out for team failures probably contributes to the yips they feel when the postseason rolls around.

I don't think this team does well when they're in the role of the favorite. They were favored to beat Miami, they were favored to win the title after 67-15 and they didn't handle the pressure well. Until they beat San Antonio, nobody ever gave them a chance against the Spurs. Next year they'll return to underdog/not being taken seriously status, and that's where they thrive best.

leemajors
06-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't think this team does well when they're in the role of the favorite. They were favored to beat Miami, they were favored to win the title after 67-15 and they didn't handle the pressure well. Until they beat San Antonio, nobody ever gave them a chance against the Spurs. Next year they'll return to underdog/not being taken seriously status, and that's where they thrive best.
if the team is that frail mentally, that's not good.

Findog
06-22-2007, 04:31 PM
if the team is that frail mentally, that's not good.

They're a really young team. I'm very hesistant to break up Howard and Dirk - we're set at forward for the next 6 years. It would have to be a slam-dunk no-brainer for me to part with either one of those. Not interested in a lateral move.

spursreport
06-22-2007, 04:36 PM
They're a really young team. I'm very hesistant to break up Howard and Dirk - we're set at forward for the next 6 years. It would have to be a slam-dunk no-brainer for me to part with either one of those. Not interested in a lateral move.

This was this teams 3rd year in the playoffs with this current core. Youth had nothing to do with them being weak. It is just in their blood.

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 04:38 PM
do it but dont draft noah

K-State Spur
06-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Noah reminds me A LOT of Patrick O'Bryant?

steppy
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Why doesn't Dallas give Dirk for KG? How would Dallas fans feel about that trade?

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Why doesn't Dallas give Dirk for KG? How would Dallas fans feel about that trade?

no

bigdog
06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
no matter what I think Noah seriously sucks. I heard some people say that at best he will be like a Mark Madsen in this league.

monosylab1k
06-22-2007, 05:17 PM

do it. people in Dallas are way to attached to Mr. "There's no fucking way I could possibly beat a guy like Udonis Haslem or Stephen Jackson".

Obstructed_View
06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Damp, Dirk, Stack, Jet. All the guys with the yips are over 30. Youth is a lame excuse. They should probably hope Pop decides to tinker with the roster in the middle of the playoffs again next year. In my opinion it's the only realistic chance they have aside from putting a hit out on Duncan.

monosylab1k
06-22-2007, 05:18 PM
The whole attitude by the fanbase of singling individuals out for team failures probably contributes to the yips they feel when the postseason rolls around.

I'll keep that in mind next season as I read endless "Trade Manu!" and "Parker sux" and "Duncan is over the hill" threads in the Spurs forum like I read all this season.

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Someway, Somehow Jet will be traded.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I'll keep that in mind next season as I read endless "Trade Manu!" and "Parker sux" and "Duncan is over the hill" threads in the Spurs forum like I read all this season.
If you can't tell the difference I'm not going to bother trying to help you. The fringe among Dallas fans are the ones that don't boo Michael Finley.

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-22-2007, 07:04 PM
The whole attitude by the fanbase of singling individuals out for team failures probably contributes to the yips they feel when the postseason rolls around.
so basically, the fans are partly to blame for the Mavs postseason failures?

being loyal and selling out every game for 5 years straight (unlike another team who couldnt sell out the WCF game 1) and then understandably getting frustrated when their team chokes up a 2-0 Finals lead then loses to the 8th seed?

td4mvp3
06-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Back to the basket guys are rare and valuable -- even damaged goods like Zach Randolph can get an $84 million max deal. And we're resigned to not getting any scoring from our centers since we need Diop and Damp against San Antonio - they allow us to get away without doubling Duncan all the time.

If there's one common thread to the Miami and Golden State series, it's that what we got shredded by a perimeter player. Getting bigger at the PG position isn't a bad thing, IMO, after watching what Wade and Davis did to us. Both those series turned more on those guys playing at an unreal level than Dirk failing to meet expectations. Not saying Dirk didn't come up short, but the two guys on the other team he wasn't guarding had more to do with us losing.
baron davis and wade got theirs. they were supposed to, just like dirk was supposed to. when the goingg gets tough and all that. the position they play makes no difference, the star is supposed to step it up. duncan would have gotten 30-40 against the warriors by running to the post and getting fouled and whatnot (the fouling may have even helped contain davis conssidering the effect it had on lebron in game 2 of the finals, i believe). the fact that there are so few back to the basket players out there makes dirk's shirk all the more appalling (especially considering how another smaller player held him in check again in jackson). he should have expected ... hell, all off the mavs organization should have expected gs' attack since they'd done it in every game played. so dirk should have practiced some of those skills if only to keep things honest. big point guards are not the issue (see deron williams and lebron, since he guarded parker a bunch), it's players playing to their potential.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2007, 11:55 PM
so basically, the fans are partly to blame for the Mavs postseason failures?

being loyal and selling out every game for 5 years straight (unlike another team who couldnt sell out the WCF game 1) and then understandably getting frustrated when their team chokes up a 2-0 Finals lead then loses to the 8th seed?
I'm sure Mark Cuban is pleased as punch with your money. He'll use it to wipe his ass later.

To paraphrase someone on ESPN's website: You Mavs fans sure love your Mavs. Until you don't.

monosylab1k
06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
The fringe among Dallas fans are the ones that don't boo Michael Finley.

The fringe are the ones even bothering to comment negatively about the Mavericks. The ones that boo Michael Finley are too worried right now about Ken Hamlin playing Free Safety to be bothered with giving a shit about the state of the Mavericks.

Findog
06-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Damp, Dirk, Stack, Jet. All the guys with the yips are over 30. Youth is a lame excuse. They should probably hope Pop decides to tinker with the roster in the middle of the playoffs again next year. In my opinion it's the only realistic chance they have aside from putting a hit out on Duncan.

All of those guys have come up big for Dallas in the postseason as well. It's a checkered playoff history. Like I said, they seem to do better when they're the underdogs. They imposed a lot of pressure on themselves this season to atone for the Finals and the media anointed them as well after they began running away with the top seed. One thing we can probably both agree on is that after last year, Dallas could go 82-0 and nobody would feel comfortable calling the title for them. They can fly under the radar next year and that's for the best.

td4mvp3
06-23-2007, 01:25 AM
All of those guys have come up big for Dallas in the postseason as well. It's a checkered playoff history. Like I said, they seem to do better when they're the underdogs. They imposed a lot of pressure on themselves this season to atone for the Finals and the media anointed them as well after they began running away with the top seed. One thing we can probably both agree on is that after last year, Dallas could go 82-0 and nobody would feel comfortable calling the title for them. They can fly under the radar next year and that's for the best.
but they won't fly under the radar. EVERYONE and their mother will be tracking the mavs and i would expect the pressure to be monumental, regardless of their record. the spectre of "biggest choke/upset in the nba" would loom over everything.

spursreport
06-23-2007, 01:53 AM

True Championship teams dont care about being favorites or underdogs. They dont let any of that talk get to their heads. They just play their game. Not being able to handle that shows mental weakness.

Findog
06-23-2007, 02:08 AM
but they won't fly under the radar. EVERYONE and their mother will be tracking the mavs and i would expect the pressure to be monumental, regardless of their record. the spectre of "biggest choke/upset in the nba" would loom over everything.

They won't be the favorites to win anything, other than 50+ regular season games. Who here is picking them to beat San Antonio or Phoenix should they advance to meet them in the playoffs? Regardless of how many times they're on TNT or ABC, or who gets the most ink spilled over them, nobody is expecting playoff success from them next year. They will benefit from lowered expectations.

As for "regardless of record," if they go 44-38, do you think they'll be getting picked to do anything if they're a bottom-tier playoff seed? The regular season is overhyped in importance but how you do overall says something about what you're going to do in the postseason. The Knicks were an anomaly as an 8-seed in the lockout year, and Houston repeated as a 6-seed. But other than that, generally speaking, a top-four seed and home court for at least one round is pretty much a prerequisite for a title run.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2007, 04:57 AM
The fringe are the ones even bothering to comment negatively about the Mavericks. The ones that boo Michael Finley are too worried right now about Ken Hamlin playing Free Safety to be bothered with giving a shit about the state of the Mavericks.
Exactly. You and I could not be more in agreement. The average post-Cubanist Maverick fan is a bandwagonning idiot who goes to the games to be seen because it's currently the "thing to do" or, more appropriately, the "thing to tell people you do". While almost none of them would ever bother to go to a basketball message board during the off season, those people make up the very loud, opinionated, hyper-critical, and ultimately disloyal majority who talk around the water cooler and call Jennifer Engel's radio show calling for people to be traded or for coaches to be fired, usually after losses. Now that they've adopted a new "championship or bust" attitude, folks like that can put enormous pressure on the basketball team, whether you believe it or not.

timvp
06-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Hopefully the Mavs trade Terry for Noah. That'd make it a lot easier for the Spurs to matchup. They can put Duncan on Noah, Oberto/Elson on Dirk, Bowen on Howard, Parker on Harris and Manu on whoever the SG is.

Sounds like a good trade.

Do it, Dallas :tu

Bear Grylls
06-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Hopefully the Mavs trade Terry for Noah. That'd make it a lot easier for the Spurs to matchup. They can put Duncan on Noah, Oberto/Elson on Dirk, Bowen on Howard, Parker on Harris and Manu on whoever the SG is.

Sounds like a good trade.

Do it, Dallas :tu

Except Noah and Dirk would not be on the floor at the same time.

td4mvp3
06-23-2007, 08:11 AM
They won't be the favorites to win anything, other than 50+ regular season games. Who here is picking them to beat San Antonio or Phoenix should they advance to meet them in the playoffs? Regardless of how many times they're on TNT or ABC, or who gets the most ink spilled over them, nobody is expecting playoff success from them next year. They will benefit from lowered expectations.

As for "regardless of record," if they go 44-38, do you think they'll be getting picked to do anything if they're a bottom-tier playoff seed? The regular season is overhyped in importance but how you do overall says something about what you're going to do in the postseason. The Knicks were an anomaly as an 8-seed in the lockout year, and Houston repeated as a 6-seed. But other than that, generally speaking, a top-four seed and home court for at least one round is pretty much a prerequisite for a title run.
yeah, but regardless of their record, the pressure would remain high. and it's pressure, in guise of underdog/favorite, that seems to doom the mavs. it was the pressure of game three finals freethrows that kept dirk from hitting those shots, the pressure of finding a way to beat golden state that led to avery changing lineups before the ball was hoisted, and pressure to perform at his best that sank dirk's game six effort. the mavs play just fine as the favorites, otherwise they would not have made it to the western conference finals all those years against lesser-seeded teams. hell, they were the favorites against an undermanned suns team last year and made it through. but the suns games proved tougher than they needed to be when the pressure increased, and the cracks came full bore once the finals began. so if they come in as a number 4, the pressure remains the same even if they had been a number 1 or 8, because the issue remains can they win it all (champs or bust was their motto; plus, they've made it as far as any team can sans winning it all, so there is no other level to reach).

BUMP
06-23-2007, 12:33 PM
those people make up the very loud, and ultimately disloyal majority who talk call Jennifer Engel's radio show calling for people to be traded or for coaches to be fired, usually after losses. Now that they've adopted a new "championship or bust" attitude, folks like that can put enormous pressure on the basketball team, whether you believe it or not.
i couldnt agree more. although every city has those fans. i assume you live in Dallas too? i dont think they put on much added pressure. if they do, then its the Mavericks fault. these types of knee-jerk fans are just trying to go with the flow. when the Mavs are winning theyll ask me "do you think we have a chance at winning it all?" but if they are losing they distance themselves from the team and say "yeah they suck."

timvp
06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Except Noah and Dirk would not be on the floor at the same time.

Noah is going to average 5 minutes per game in the playoffs? If you think that click the red X in the upper right.

Thanks.

dallaskd
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Any update on whether or not the mavs will trade up?

Obstructed_View
06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
i couldnt agree more. although every city has those fans. i assume you live in Dallas too? i dont think they put on much added pressure. if they do, then its the Mavericks fault. these types of knee-jerk fans are just trying to go with the flow. when the Mavs are winning theyll ask me "do you think we have a chance at winning it all?" but if they are losing they distance themselves from the team and say "yeah they suck."
Many cities have fans like that, and it's obviously going to be more common in multiple sport cities, where people can't devote all their time to every team. Don't fool yourself though: Dallas is notorious for this type of idiot sports fan, and that type of citizen. When the Cowboys were dominant people used to leave before halftime if they weren't scoring enough points.

And you are right: It is the fault of the players that feel the pressure. There's no excuse when you are being paid millions of dollars to crumble under the lights just because the calendar says April. But it happens. You develop a nasty fan base when people are allowed to do whatever they want and nobody ever says anything. At least they don't throw shit at opposing teams.