PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson's career is an asterisk

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I say Phil Jackson's entire career is an asterisk. Why? Because the first 6 rings he owns were thanks to Michael Jordan. And the next three were thanks to The Shaq-Kobe duo (and injuries to Duncan and other Spurs). Hell, I could've won rings with those kinds of players. Phil Jackson is a mediocre coach who was just lucky enough to have MJ (and Scottie Pippen) and SHaq and Kobe on his teams.

His entire career is a freakin' asterisk.

lefty
06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I say Phil Jackson's entire career is an asterisk. Why? Because the first 6 rings he owns were thanks to Michael Jordan. And the next three were thanks to The Shaq-Kobe duo (and injuries to Duncan and other Spurs). Hell, I could've won rings with those kinds of players. Phil Jackson is a mediocre coach who was just lucky enough to have MJ (and Scottie Pippen) and SHaq and Kobe on his teams.

Well, it's easier to win 9 rings with 2 differents teams than with the same ballclub.

Auerbach won 10 titles with the same franchise ; now that's greatness

MaNuMaNiAc
06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
are you serious? Then I suppose Pop's career is as well, 'cause if getting Duncan doesn't qualify as luck I don't know what does

leemajors
06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
stupid.

Kobulingam
06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
He also had an amazing assistant coach.

But the point still is, he didn't screw it all up.....

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Stupid. So every coach that has multiple titles with great players should have astericks next to their names?

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Stupid. So every coach that has multiple titles with great players should have astericks next to their names?

Yep. If people wanna start throwing asterisks around, then yeah. And fuck off til you win a Championship. You're not allowed in this conversation til that happens. :downspin:

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Yep. If people wanna start throwing asterisks around, then yeah. And fuck off til you win a Championship. You're not allowed in this conversation til that happens. :downspin:
Why, you gona ban me? If you want to be thinned skinned enough to let other teams fans bother you in a title year, then your just a pussy

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:34 PM
are you serious? Then I suppose Pop's career is as well, 'cause if getting Duncan doesn't qualify as luck I don't know what does

I am serious. And yeah, I do think Pop is lucky. You think he woulda won 4 titles with the Hawks, Hornets, Celtics, Grizzlies, Raptors, Trailblazers, Sonics, Magic, Kings, Pacers, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ?????

Get outta here. :cooldevil

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I am serious. And yeah, I do think Pop is lucky. You think he woulda won 4 titles with the Hawks, Hornets, Celtics, Grizzlies, Raptors, Trailblazers, Sonics, Magic, Kings, Pacers, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ?????

Get outta here. :cooldevil
So you do think the Spurs should have asterisks then? Nice

MaNuMaNiAc
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
pesky, just admit its a stupid take bro

Solid D
06-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Come on peskypesky. Step on off.

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Why, you gona ban me? If you want to be thinned skinned enough to let other teams fans bother you in a title year, then your just a pussy

What ever. I wish I could give the Cavs an asterisk, but they've never even risen to the level where asterisks are handed out. :p:

Clutch20
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
What can I say about PJackson's career that hasn't been said already?
He's not current?

He's only 2 superstars away from making other Jackassterisk remarks?

The controvery he's generated this year outdistanced his accomplishments?
(next to nothing)

He is linked to greatness!

But that was zen, this is now :toast

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:49 PM
So you do think the Spurs should have asterisks then? Nice

No. Spurs never had MJ, Kobe or Shaq.

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 03:50 PM
What ever. I wish I could give the Cavs an asterisk, but they've never even risen to the level where asterisks are handed out. :p:
Is that supposed to make me upset? I take solace in the fact that even your fellow Spur fans have outed this thread as complete stupidity. Cavs time will come, enjoy your titles and quit your bitching

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:51 PM
pesky, just admit its a stupid take bro

Bite me. I'm having fun handing out asterisks. Don't harsh on my buzz. :toast

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 03:51 PM
No. Spurs never had MJ, Kobe or Shaq.
Wait, so Phil was lucky to have the players he had, so he gets aterisks.
Then you say you think Pop was lucky to have the players he had, but he doesnt? Stupid

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Is that supposed to make me upset? I take solace in the fact that even your fellow Spur fans have outed this thread as complete stupidity. Cavs time will come, enjoy your titles and quit your bitching

Is that supposed to make me upset? That other Spurs fans disagree with me? Sorry. Wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last. If they want to think that Jackson woulda gotten all those titles with other teams and other players than MJ, Shaq and Kobe, then that's their right. But I don't think he woulda.

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Is that supposed to make me upset? That other Spurs fans disagree with me? Sorry. Wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last. If they want to think that Jackson woulda gotten all those titles with other teams and other players than MJ, Shaq and Kobe, then that's their right. But I don't think he woulda.
Greg Popavich's career is a asterisk

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Then you say you think Pop was lucky to have the players he had, but he doesnt? Stupid

Stupid or not, it sure is fun to hand out asterisks!!! Wish I could give one to Cleveland, but as I said, you're too mediocre to earn one.
:downspin:

BigBeezie
06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Phil has been a great coach with very, very great players. He's obviously doing something right...

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Olajuwon's 2 titles have asterisks as well...since MJ was taking time off....

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Phil has been a great coach with very, very great players. He's obviously doing something right...

I don't think he's a great coach. I think he's a lucky coach.

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
You sound like the poster Shred, congrats

SAGambler
06-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Well. this is the offseason, and you can expect many stupid threads, like trade away 6 players and get Kobe (oh, wait, that one has already been done).....

Well anyway, you will hear tirades about how old we have gotten and how we need to dump half the team, and how the FO is stupid and Holt is cheap and it will go on and on until November, and probably past then.

But, you get my drift.

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
ya this is dumb...every coach has great players!!! riley is at fault cause he had magic and kareem?? rudy t cause he had hakeem?? what about jerry sloan with stockton and malone?? great players make great coaches!!!

Cleveland Steamer
06-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Peskys threads should have asterisks by them

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Peskys threads should have asterisks by them

Fine. Give me an asterisk. I don't care. Hell, I welcome it. I'll be in great freaking company. Cause haters can find a reason to give an asterisk to EVERY champion if they look hard enough. So bring it on. Give me an asterisk. Let's party!!! :elephant

dbreiden83080
06-22-2007, 05:45 PM

I think Phil thinks that any season when he did not win a title is an * to the other team.

peskypesky
06-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I think Phil thinks that any season when he did not win a title is an * to the other team.

Exactly! He's a douchebag.
And the same goes for all the haters out there who refuse to give the Spurs credit for what they've accomplished by talking about asterisks. But instead of getting pissed about it, I'm just going to have fun and start handing out my own asterisks, since it seems that's the cool thing to do these days (especially if you're a Mavs fan/Suns fan/media douchebag/or whatever). :drunk

OldDirtMcGirt
06-22-2007, 07:19 PM
So I guess Larry Brown is the greatest coach of all time because he won his ring without an all time great?

judaspriestess
06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
phil jackson was successful with teams that were already built to win before he took over. Doug Collins built the bulls and Del Harris built the lakers.

I don't know about the asterisk but with the fiasco that is the lakers, he hasn't done shit as the so called zen master and I think it proves that he is really not all that.

bigfish22
06-22-2007, 07:35 PM
USELESS THREAD

Besides this has nothing to do with the Spurs, please take this to the "I'm a hater" forum

Brutalis
06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Guys the thread starter is right in some good sense.

Phil won't coach teams that are not loaded. That's why he left the Lakers, and then came back. When he came back he must have thought he was a better coach or something but, in 2 seasons he has done such a horrible job with the Lakers and the first team he's ever had that's just average or below it. Hell he left the Bulls cause they were finished. He just got a lucky draw getting good teams and won titles, through good coaching and assistants and players. He on the other hand could not find talent to save his life like better coaches can like Pop for one.

The guy is cocky, but a good coach. Not a great one.

coachmac87
06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
ya but pop wouldnt be a great coach without tim duncan..i mean at least phil jackson created the triangle..pop started 4 down lol

Strike
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rainh2o/bad%20threads/Gay%20Thread%20congrats.jpg

Money316
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/agonzales2021/fingerboyfinal.jpg

exstatic
06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Auerbach built his team. Phil never took a job, until his latest stint with the Lakers, where the team hadn't at least made the Conference Finals. He's good at selecting jobs, but when presented with a normal one star team, he's flamed out, big time.

He's gravy trained FOUR H.O.F. players, in pairs and in their primes, and one brilliant assistant, Tex Winter.

exstatic
06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
ya but pop wouldnt be a great coach without tim duncan..i mean at least phil jackson created the triangle..pop started 4 down lol
Tex Winter created the triple post offense. Phil just hired him, and borrowed and renamed it.

bigfish22
06-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Tex Winter created the triple post offense. Phil just hired him, and borrowed and renamed it.

EXACTLY

dave
06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
asterisks are happy

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Auerbach built his team. Phil never took a job, until his latest stint with the Lakers, where the team hadn't at least made the Conference Finals. He's good at selecting jobs, but when presented with a normal one star team, he's flamed out, big time.

He's gravy trained FOUR H.O.F. players, in pairs and in their primes, and one brilliant assistant, Tex Winter.

:lmao

He's making 10 mil a year and boning Jeannie.

The dudes got the ultimate golden parachute.

Go Phil!

We won't have to worry about the Lakers for the next 3-4 years.

exstatic
06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
:lmao

He's making 10 mil a year and boning Jeannie.

The dudes got the ultimate golden parachute.

Go Phil!

We won't have to worry about the Lakers for the next 3-4 years.
Oh, I'm not saying he ain't living The Life of Riley. He's just not the basketball coach that you might think if you read a lot of media. I'd consider him an average coach who picked great jobs.

Findog
06-23-2007, 12:57 AM

Excellent basketball analysis. Red Auerbach was a fuckin' hack too.

spursrchamps
06-23-2007, 01:34 AM
that's stupid. so is tony parker's career thus far have an asterick because he plays with tim duncan?

cherylsteele
06-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Olajuwon's 2 titles have asterisks as well...since MJ was taking time off....
I'll bet you wouldn't be saying that if the Spurs had won those 2 years.

conqueso
06-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Are you people really that dense?

The point here is not that every coach should have an asterisk if they coached good players. That would be retarded. And that's NOT a point you can infer from pesky's original post unless you're being a little bitch. The point of pesky's original post is that Phil Jax had such a ridiculous amount of player talent that even a monkey could have coached some of those teams to the championship. Therefore, he deserved some asterisks. Pop has never had anywhere near the amount of talent on any team that he has ever coached. Sure, he's been in a good situation here with Duncan. But guess what assholes? Neither Duncan NOR Pop would have 4 rings without the other. Therefore, no asterisks are deserved (at least not on that basis).

So everyone shut up with the Duncan/Pop/Tony asterisk shit. PESKY'S POST IN NO WAY INVOKES ANY ANALOGY TO THE SPURS AND THEIR SITUATION. Please quit acting as if saying "Phil Jackson deserves asterisks" requires one to admit that "Pop deserves asterisks," because it doesn't, and idiots who think that need to go back to school and learn some fucking logic.

Referee
06-23-2007, 12:24 PM

He still has the rings! Like him or not, he didn't blow the chances given... Special thanks to "Tex" Winter... Nobody did it like "Red" Auerbach baby!!! :fro

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2913/threadsuckssn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Shot at 2007-06-23

conqueso
06-23-2007, 05:53 PM
He still has the rings! Like him or not, he didn't blow the chances given... Special thanks to "Tex" Winter... Nobody did it like "Red" Auerbach baby!!!

The Spurs still have the rings with "1999" stamped on them. The rings alone (in most people's minds) don't remove an asterisk. If your response to the claim that Phil Jackson himself should have an asterisk next to his career is to "look at the rings," then you also have to say that the Spurs' first championship should be asteriskless simply because they won the title. That's kind of an inane response, since you can't claim that winning a title under any circumstance imaginable is still legitimate. What if the Spurs bus had crashed on the way to the Q for game 4, everyone died, the Spurs forfeited games 4-7, and the league gave the title to Cleveland? Do you think that championship wouldn't deserve an asterisk simply because "the Cavs have the rings!" Of course not.

The point is that extenuating circumstances (like a shortened regular season) can affect the reporting of championship history (but not necessarily the legitimacy of the title). I don't think PJax deserves an asterisk because then you'd have to pass one out to Wooden for having the most recruiting power and one to the entire New York Yankees franchise for having the most money. If you start slapping asterisks onto anything that isn't straight up skill and relies on factors extrinsic to the sport itself (like dumb luck for instance), almost everyone would get one. But I still think Phil Jackson is way overrated as a coach and was a lucky motherfucker, and therefore, that this thread isn't as worthless as everyone is making it out to be.