PDA

View Full Version : Kerr confirms KG/Suns talk

da_suns_fan__
06-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Kerr says Suns are in talks for Garnett

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 22, 2007 02:01 PM
Suns General Manager Steve Kerr acknowledged Friday that the Suns are talking about a trade for Minnesota 10-time All-Star Kevin Garnett but still termed a deal as "tough" to work out because of Garnett's contract and any big deal as a "long shot."

He also said no player is untradable but that it would take "an awful lot" to pry away a 24-year-old All-NBA first team center such as Amaré Stoudemire, the object of Minnesota's interest in the Garnett talks.

"As far as KG specifically, it's tough because of the contract," Kerr said, calling Garnett's listing of the Suns as his hope for a trade destination flattering.

"We're listening to everything and we're trying to see what would be possible in that regard. The only way we would do it is if we could make our team better and do it in a financially viable way. So that's what we're exploring. We're exploring a lot of other stuff, too. That's what we do up there. We'll see where it takes us."

The major hang-ups in a Garnett trade are his contract and how Shawn Marion could be included. Garnett will make $22 million in each of the next two seasons and has an early-termination option next summer. Garnett also has a trade kicker that could add $3.3 million of salary to each year unless he chose to waive a portion of it.

Minnesota wants Stoudemire in return rather than Marion, making it necessary for a third team to be involved. Boston has interest in Marion but Marion's agent has squashed the idea of him landing with Danny Ainge, his first Suns coach. Marion also can opt out next summer but would be walking away from a 2008-09 salary of $17.8 million if he did so. Marion will make $16.4 million in the coming year, meaning other parts (as well as first-round picks likely) would have to be involved to make the salaries balance in a deal.

But having Garnett's interest become known raises the intrigue.

"Maybe because he's said, 'Hey, I want to be there,' maybe that part makes it a little more plausible," Kerr said. "Because if he's taking other teams out of the equation altogether, then it does narrow down the list. In that regard, maybe we'd have a better chance but again to get a guy like that, you have to give up an awful lot. We have to weigh whether we can even make it work out financially and whether it would make us better. We'll do all that research and see where it takes us."

Kerr said he has talked to eight to 10 teams about trade scenarios but that it takes the "perfect storm" to pull one off because of all the involved parties and their changing opinions.

Asked if Stoudemire is untradable, Kerr said, "Nobody's untradable. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar got traded. I tell all the guys and I've tried to visit with all the guys, as many as I could and have been able to on the phone, I can't ever promise someone that they're never going to be traded. That would be ridiculous. With that said, it would take an awful lot for that to happen. We love the guy. He's wise beyond his years. I think he's starting to understand the way the NBA works and he's accepting of that."

If Phoenix pulled off the deal, it could put Stoudemire and Garnett side by side for an imposing front line. It would also be an imposing front on the payroll with Stoudemire to make $63 million over the next four seasons.

"As soon as I looked at the financial part, I gagged and choked a little bit," Kerr said.

Did he mention that to Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver?

"I didn't tell him," Kerr joked. "I told him, 'It's going to work great. Perfectly. We'll be way under the cap, Robert. Don't worry about it.' I'll send him the bill later."

btw - the "local radio" guy saying the deal is KG for Amare or nothing is completely speculating. He doesn't have the slightest clue what he's talking about. Just jabbering.

itzsoweezee
06-22-2007, 05:00 PM
why would the timberwolves want anything other than amare from the suns?

Xylus
06-22-2007, 11:05 PM
why would the timberwolves want anything other than amare from the suns?
If Marion was involved, it'd be a three-team deal. So, Marion and a few other Suns would go to that third team (Boston or Chicago, for example), and then the third team would send Minnesota a bunch of players, and Minnesota would send us KG.

Three-team deals sound ultra complicated, though.

BillsCarnage
06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Xylus, the rumor should all but die now, according to reports from 620 that the wolves will only talk if a package includes Amare as the center piece.

And that ain't happening.

ducks
06-22-2007, 11:14 PM
kerr is being to selfish
wantes the farm when pistons wanted to trade sheed

Xylus
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Xylus, the rumor should all but die now, according to reports from 620 that the wolves will only talk if a package includes Amare as the center piece.

And that ain't happening.
I don't think Kerr is unwilling to trade Amare. Trading KG helps us in the short run, but not in the long run. Depends on whether Kerr wants to win NOW or keep hope alive for a few years after that.

It's impossible to tell at this point which team a KG-for-Amare trade would benefit more, or if it would benefit either team.

dbreiden83080
06-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think Kerr is unwilling to trade Amare. Trading KG helps us in the short run, but not in the long run. Depends on whether Kerr wants to win NOW or keep hope alive for a few years after that.

It's impossible to tell at this point which team a KG-for-Amare trade would benefit more, or if it would benefit either team.

Part of me does hope you guys get him. That way everyone will hand you guys the title in the pre-season and probably all year long and you will get beat when it matters most yet again in the playoffs.

td4mvp3
06-23-2007, 01:30 AM
i don't think you gain much with kg, honestly. his performances in the postseason have been underwhelming, unable to get past the lakers even with cassell and sprewell. how's he going to do with nash (not as clutch as cassell, and the post season is when clutch counts most) and maybe no marion, so, who, kurt thomas? boris diaw? and garnett still isn't really a post player, leaning more toward jump shots and driving into the lane. that didn't work out too well for dirk, rasheed or the cavs' center.

dbreiden83080
06-23-2007, 01:54 AM
i don't think you gain much with kg, honestly. his performances in the postseason have been underwhelming, unable to get past the lakers even with cassell and sprewell. how's he going to do with nash (not as clutch as cassell, and the post season is when clutch counts most) and maybe no marion, so, who, kurt thomas? boris diaw? and garnett still isn't really a post player, leaning more toward jump shots and driving into the lane. that didn't work out too well for dirk, rasheed or the cavs' center.

The only thing that scares me is that KG can opt out after next year which could mean the Wolves would give him up without getting Amare back in fear of him leaving in a year and getting nothing in return. I doubt that would happen though.

E20
06-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Tony, Manu, Tim vs Nash, Amare, KG

That would be the ultimate challenge for the Spurs in the PO's and incredibly fun to watch. Much more tougher than the Lakers Fab 4.

dbreiden83080
06-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Tony, Manu, Tim vs Nash, Amare, KG

That would be the ultimate challenge for the Spurs in the PO's and incredibly fun to watch. Much more tougher than the Lakers Fab 4.

They would need to improve themselves in the offseason for sure. However does anyone really think KG is going to the Suns for next to nothing, i sure don't.

conqueso
06-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Trading KG helps us in the short run, but not in the long run. Depends on whether Kerr wants to win NOW or keep hope alive for a few years after that.

Keeping Amare might not help in the long-run either. True, he was beastly this past year when no one expected him to be, but he's due for another surgery within two years, and he already has one arthritic knee. I don't think it's wise for the Suns to pin their long-term hopes on Amare to carry the Suns when Nash is gone.

Which makes me think the Suns' time is NOW. Three years from now, Nash will be worthless, Marion will be gone (because they can't/won't resign him for what he's worth when he opts out next summer), and the hopes of the franchise will rest on the knees of Stoudamire. That's a pretty shaky foundation. I say trade him for Garnett, realizing that the Suns won't be championship contenders after Nash drops off. By anyone's estimation, for next season Garnett is a big upgrade on Amare, and if it doesn't require trading Barbosa (which it might) to get him, the Suns would be dumb not to pull the trigger.

Shred
06-24-2007, 08:43 AM
"I really, really hope KG doesn't land with the Suns. Therefore, I will render my hopefulness to repeated posts about how (1) the deal would require the Suns to trade Amare, thereby hurting the Suns' chances of beating the Spurs (even though in every other context Amare is a whiny bitch who will never beat the Spurs, anyway); (2) KG wouldn't really make the Suns better since he's old and burnt out, and fades in the playoffs (he should have beaten the Kobe-Shaq Lakers at least 2-3 times); (3) Shawn Marion and/or Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw, and 1st round pick(s) are "trash" not worthy of KG since he's a young superstar in his prime (not old and burnt out); or (4) the Spurs are destined to win every NBA title from here on out anyway. By posting this way, I will prevent the trade from ever happening." - Spur fan

BTW, Suns are not trading Amare, and the T-Wolves are not trading KG unless a 3rd team (and 1st round picks) is involved.

SpursWillOwn
06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
gd post shred keep it up!

NBA Junkie
06-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Phoenix would have had a shot at KG had they gotten Atlanta's top 3 protected pick. That would have enticed the Wolves into taking Marion perhaps, even if he did opt out. At least the Wolves wouldn't have been left empty handed.

A much younger Stoudemire won't be sacrificed for an aging player who might make them better in the short term. I just don't see it happening.

If KG isn't traded, he'll be in Minny for at least two more years. He's not giving up $24 million in '08-'09. No way, no how!

FromWayDowntown
06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
At this point, unless the T'Wolves get a major star (aka Amare), any deal involving Garnett that doesn't bring them picks and a chance to start rebuilding right now is absurd. As the Lakers showed in the summer of 2004, you don't trade your franchise cornerstone for a bunch of okay players and think that you've given yourself a short-term chance to be competitive. Getting a slew of okay players from Chicago isn't a way to build a true contender. Getting Shawn Marion isn't a way to build a true contender.

If Minnesota gives up KG, they must either get a single superstar or they must go all in and blow it all up.

jacobdrj
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
If Minnesota gives up KG, they must either get a single superstar or they must go all in and blow it all up.

Blow what up? There is nothing there... there has NEVER been anything there. The only time there has been anything REMOTELY like SOMETHING there was in 2004, when they had a couple of washed up has beens (granted, clutch has beens) and took them to the WCF, despite injury to 1 of the 2 (Cassell).

Wolves have nothing... NOTHING. All they can hope for is the draft... which, let us not forget, McHale has bastardized over and over again, sans KG and Marburry.

FromWayDowntown
06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Blow what up? There is nothing there... there has NEVER been anything there. The only time there has been anything REMOTELY like SOMETHING there was in 2004, when they had a couple of washed up has beens (granted, clutch has beens) and took them to the WCF, despite injury to 1 of the 2 (Cassell).

Wolves have nothing... NOTHING. All they can hope for is the draft... which, let us not forget, McHale has bastardized over and over again, sans KG and Marburry.

Blow it up . . . start all over; say it however you'd like. The point is that it makes no sense for the T'Wolves to deal Garnett if all they get back are a bunch of "pretty good" players. You're right, though, all they can hope for is the draft -- and their best chance to do that is to deal for a boatload of picks and not accept a deal that will only make them marginally better in the short run.

Shred
06-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Keeping Amare might not help in the long-run either. True, he was beastly this past year when no one expected him to be, but he's due for another surgery within two years, and he already has one arthritic knee. I don't think it's wise for the Suns to pin their long-term hopes on Amare to carry the Suns when Nash is gone.

Hey, man, where'd you do your residency in orthopedic surgery?