PDA

View Full Version : could tim duncan ever win another mvp??

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 01:34 AM
i think it will be really tough...but hey if he only shot better from the free throw line..his pts per game would be around 24pts per game..and its hard to say no to that instead of only 20

LaMarcus Bryant
06-23-2007, 01:39 AM
If he took more jumpshots, did less for his team's victories on a day to day basis, and played for the biggest joke of an nba team in history, he'd definitely win it again.

phyzik
06-23-2007, 02:02 AM
if you think Timmy is out of the running for finals MVP, your crazy, the dude is always the favorite no matter what... it took a Parker playing out of his mind and Tim supporting him to get the MVP.

I love parker, Im definately not a Parker hater, he definately deserves the MVP.... but he never would have got it without Tim deffering to him....

As Tony Parker said himself, Timmy is letting him borrow it.

dbreiden83080
06-23-2007, 02:12 AM
At this point NO because Pop wants his minutes down in the Reg Season so he can go full throttle come playoff time.

bigfish22
06-23-2007, 02:13 AM
I think the question was geared more towards a regular season MVP, rather than the Finals MVP.

In response to your question, I don't think that he realistically will. He is much too seasoned and too unselfish at this stage in his career that individual numbers and records are meaningless to him. He is at or near the highest level of enlightenment in terms of NBA intellect. It is hard for one to attain a goal if such is not in their framed mindset. The focus of the NBA has shifted away from this type of greatness and would rather seek to reward what I would like to call "false idols." These so-called superstars entertain and attract an audience, but in the end these false idols prove useless to the ultimate goal of victory - the only goal that Duncan plays for.

Johnny RIngo
06-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Who cares? The MVP award's been tainted by Steve Trash and Dirk anyway.

BradLohaus
06-23-2007, 02:58 AM
TD won't win another regular season MVP. Parker will take on an even greater scoring role after this postseason, and that is a very good thing.

jaespur21
06-23-2007, 03:11 AM
NO bcuz Tim had deserved it the last few years and didnt win it....now he has help and they definately will not give it to him

Beno Udrih
06-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Been there done that forum.

Beno Udrih
06-23-2007, 03:19 AM
The only trophies Tim's interested in are of the Championship kind.

ggoose25
06-23-2007, 03:24 AM
unless we lose manu and tony, tim's mvp days are over.

bigfish22
06-23-2007, 03:27 AM
^ Yo man, on behalf of everyone that has to read a thread with one of your posts in it, please change your signature. That dog is creeping me out man!!!!!

caŽlo
06-23-2007, 04:32 AM
dirk tarnished whatever value that regular season mvp is.

thats just simply it. a REGULAR SEASON mvp. and it wont mean jack sh*t in the playoffs. and it damn aint no guarantee that itll give u the o brien.

Supreme_Being
06-23-2007, 07:29 AM
^ Yo man, on behalf of everyone that has to read a thread with one of your posts in it, please change your signature. That dog is creeping me out man!!!!!

+1

MrChug
06-23-2007, 08:22 AM
At this point NO because Pop wants his minutes down in the Reg Season so he can go full throttle come playoff time.

I'd like to agree because there's TONS of fact and proof in that BUT...

I think that there may be a subconcious backlash because of the joke that IS Dirk Nowitzki. There was such a consensus once the first round was over of "FUCK! Can I change my vote?!?!?!?!?!" from the sports writers it may START a mini-revolution against the idea that "the MVP is the highest scoring player on the team with the best record in the regular season." That's normally who is the frontrunner in these annual debates...is that wrong? Kinda. I think sports writers (many of whom are selected to vote on the NBA MVP don't specialize in writing on the NBA) may be forced to think about the actual VALUE as in IMPORTANCE that a certain player has on a very successful team. The most successful team in the past decade? The Spurs. Writers could be FORCED to look at what's important. WILL it happen? No. Because sports writers hate to be wrong.

...so to answer your question. Will he win it again? No.

aggie93
06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I think the only way it happens is if the Spurs absolutely dominate the league next year in the regular season and Timmy has a few monster games on national TV against high profile teams. I think Tim was starting to catch a little bit of "we forgot about Duncan this year and he was probably as much of an MVP as anyone" sympathies in the media this year in the playoffs. Duncan also seems to have made the leap in the mind of the media of "truly an all time great player" and that will garner him I also think Nash and Dirk will not win another MVP because they kind of won by "well, nobody really is obvious so let's give it to this guy" vote and their lack of success in the postseason is weighing on their reputation heavily. Lebron is going to be a favorite next year and if Kobe gets traded anywhere he can win he will be a contender. I put Timmy's chances at 1 in 5.

gaKNOW!blee
06-23-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd like to agree because there's TONS of fact and proof in that BUT...

I think that there may be a subconcious backlash because of the joke that IS Dirk Nowitzki. There was such a consensus once the first round was over of "FUCK! Can I change my vote?!?!?!?!?!" from the sports writers it may START a mini-revolution against the idea that "the MVP is the highest scoring player on the team with the best record in the regular season." That's normally who is the frontrunner in these annual debates...is that wrong? Kinda. I think sports writers (many of whom are selected to vote on the NBA MVP don't specialize in writing on the NBA) may be forced to think about the actual VALUE as in IMPORTANCE that a certain player has on a very successful team. The most successful team in the past decade? The Spurs. Writers could be FORCED to look at what's important. WILL it happen? No. Because sports writers hate to be wrong.

...so to answer your question. Will he win it again? No.
Well there is a little proof. Back during Tims MVP days he was averging 6 more minutes a game. Doesnt sound like thats alot but it is.

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 11:56 AM
if you think Timmy is out of the running for finals MVP, your crazy, the dude is always the favorite no matter what... it took a Parker playing out of his mind and Tim supporting him to get the MVP.

I love parker, Im definately not a Parker hater, he definately deserves the MVP.... but he never would have got it without Tim deffering to him....

As Tony Parker said himself, Timmy is letting him borrow it.

im talking about regular season mvp dumbass

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 12:00 PM
i think it could happen if timmy improves his free throw%..because if he does his scoring average will increase..its hard to turn down a 23pts and 11 reb along with the 2.3 blocks a game..and if the spurs own the best record in the league..why cant he win it??? it will only cement him as the best big ever..i want it to be a landslide no argument when it comes down to it about who is the best big ever. timmy just has to get his freethrows around 70% and i see it happening

Cant_Be_Faded
06-23-2007, 12:06 PM
dirk tarnished whatever value that regular season mvp is.

+1

Its very apparent you have to do less for your team's winning, while still putting up higher than average scoring numbers, never really accomplish anything previously in your entire career, have a history for folding when the pressure is on, and take lots and lots of jumpshots to win mvp in this league.

michaelwcho
06-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree that he has a chance next year, if everything goes great for him and the cards fall his way. Because of the backlash against paper champs like Nowitzki and Nash (and Kobe too). Imagine if Timmy has a nice solid year, has dominant games on national TV, and the Spurs plays a little better in the regular season this year.

It's possible, but highly unlikely. We have to realize that we're probably due for some nagging injuries to hit us this year and slow us down a bit (hopefully we'll be ready come playoff time).

K-State Spur
06-23-2007, 12:48 PM
i think it will be really tough...but hey if he only shot better from the free throw line..his pts per game would be around 24pts per game..and its hard to say no to that instead of only 20

If Tim played 40 min/game, he'd be polishing his 6th straight MVP award this year.

But the team has been good enough that Pop can limit his minutes in the regular season, which helps get Tim something that's better than an MVP - rings.

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
If Tim played 40 min/game, he'd be polishing his 6th straight MVP award this year.

But the team has been good enough that Pop can limit his minutes in the regular season, which helps get Tim something that's better than an MVP - rings.

timmy can get those numbers without playing 40min....u cant tell me his scoring average wont increase if he shoots his freethrows in the 70 percentile range...i kno mvps dont really matter that much...but why wouldnt we want timmy to wint the mvp and a ring..nothing wrong with that...bitch

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM
he doesnt need to dominant on national tv...the only reason why dirk won mvp is cause the mavs had the best record..and dirks numbers were impressive..same goes for duncan..if the spurs have the 1st or 2nd best record in the league and he is average around 22pts not 20 or 18 like he has the past two years..it will be hard for people not seriously consider him..ill take rings over mvp award any day but i also wouldnt mind both...and even if timmy doesnt care about another mvp it doesnt matter..he is not voting

Toot My Van Cuban
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Actually, if we awarded regular season MVP after the entire season+playoffs, the regular season MVP award should have gone to LeBron or Duncan.

I think MVP should encompass the entire SEASON as in game 1 to the last game of the finals. If Dirk had gone down in a blaze of glory scoring like 40 points a game but still lost to GS then he'd have been an okay pick. But the way they do it is just silly.

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Actually, if we awarded regular season MVP after the entire season+playoffs, the regular season MVP award should have gone to LeBron or Duncan.

I think MVP should encompass the entire SEASON as in game 1 to the last game of the finals. If Dirk had gone down in a blaze of glory scoring like 40 points a game but still lost to GS then he'd have been an okay pick. But the way they do it is just silly.

but then there would be no excitement for the regular season...

ShoogarBear
06-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Duncan's never going to see 35 MPG during the regular season again, so no.

exstatic
06-23-2007, 01:31 PM
timmy can get those numbers without playing 40min....u cant tell me his scoring average wont increase if he shoots his freethrows in the 70 percentile range...i kno mvps dont really matter that much...but why wouldnt we want timmy to wint the mvp and a ring..nothing wrong with that...bitch
Dude, you REALLY need to STFU. You have no idea what you're talking about, throwing around numbers like he can improve his scoring 3-4 ppg with FTs. If he somehow regained his BEST FT stroke ever, and had averaged 80% this year, he would have scored a whole 1.1 ppg better. If he had not missed a single fucking FT this year (he missed 206) , his scoring would have gone up about 2.5 ppg.

Do the math. Better yet, do the math before you inflict your mental diarrhea on us.

K-State Spur
06-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Dude, you REALLY need to STFU. You have no idea what you're talking about, throwing around numbers like he can improve his scoring 3-4 ppg with FTs. If he somehow regained his BEST FT stroke ever, and had averaged 80% this year, he would have scored a whole 1.1 ppg better. If he had not missed a single fucking FT this year (he missed 206) , his scoring would have gone up about 2.5 ppg.

Do the math. Better yet, do the math before you inflict your mental diarrhea on us.

not to mention that if he made a higher percentage of FTs, he would be more likely to go to the line LESS than he currently does.

coachmac87
06-23-2007, 10:55 PM
not to mention that if he made a higher percentage of FTs, he would be more likely to go to the line LESS than he currently does.

my point was if he just improved his percentage...he shot a great percentage before..why cant he do it again..its an unsolved mystery

K-State Spur
06-24-2007, 04:37 AM
my point was if he just improved his percentage...he shot a great percentage before..why cant he do it again..its an unsolved mystery

no...your point was that he would add a bunch of PPG, which was basically proved wrong by facts, but thanks for playing...

SANANTOJAMES
06-24-2007, 04:57 AM
tim is the man

Agloco
06-24-2007, 10:11 AM

:lol :lol

mystargtr34
07-05-2007, 06:30 AM
lol whats with the hostility.

Personally i dont think he will win the MVP again, despite the fact he is the best player in the game. What i would rather him get is his 5 year over due defensive player of the year awars. The only guy who has ever deserved the award over Tim Duncan was Ben Wallace, twice, not 4 times -- thats just rubbish for a guy like Tim not win the award. Camby? WTF he is one of the most over rated defenders of all time, he couldnt guard a statue one on one, he just roams around and swats crap that only gets to the rim because of the pathetic perimeter defense of his guards. Year in year out Tim anchors the leagues best defensive team and gets jack back.

mbass
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
+1

That dog is actually someones pet - didn't it win the "ugliest dog alive" award? :lol :lol :lol :lol

JamStone
07-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Amare ... players from this group are going to start winning regular season MVPs over the course of the next few years.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Will Tim win another regular season MVP? Probably not. Finals MVP? Bet on it.

duncan228
07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Will Tim win another regular season MVP? Probably not. Finals MVP? Bet on it.

I'm with you.