PDA

View Full Version : Don Newman's Agent Goes Off

timvp
06-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Danny More, the agent for San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Don Newman, said that if Bennett does not choose Carlesimo then he considers the Sonics organization in even worse disarray than already has been reported.

“If they don’t hire P.J., then why all this talk about San Antonio being a premier organization?” More said. “Why would you hire a 30-year-old kid from the Spurs if he is not going to hire somebody else from the Spurs? That just doesn’t make any sense.”

More is unhappy that after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford endorsed Carlesimo and Newman as coaching candidates, Newman, a former assistant coach at Washington State, never was included in the interview process.

“R.C. Buford endorsed both guys,” More said. “Pop endorsed both guys. Sit them both down, go head-to-head and let the best man win.”

More said that if Carlesimo gets the job in Seattle, Newman will not come to the Sonics as his assistant coach.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/94217.html

From what I've heard, if PJ goes to Seattle, Pop will give Newman the lead assistant job. However, I don't know if PJ's chances were helped by these quotes by Newman's agent.

What basically he's saying is that without PJ, the "kid" is nothing. Presti probably wants to form his own image instead of just being part of a package deal.

Now if Presti hires someone other than PJ, not only will PJ be pissed, Newman will be pissed because he lost out on getting a head coaching interview and a shot at being a lead assistant coach.

:stirpot:

timvp
06-23-2007, 05:12 AM
You know we got a boring team when the most controversial thing associated with the franchise has to do with the team's assistant coaches not getting head coaching jobs.

:smokin

spurscenter
06-23-2007, 06:18 AM
You know we got a boring team when the most controversial thing associated with the franchise has to do with the team's assistant coaches not getting head coaching jobs.

:smokin

soo fucking true.

The agent is mad for an assistant coach

THE AGENT for an assistant coach.

Ive heard it all!

damn straight.

ShoogarBear
06-23-2007, 01:38 PM
CIA Don. :smokin

T Park
06-23-2007, 01:45 PM
From what I've heard, if PJ goes to Seattle, Pop will give Newman the lead assistant job

Eh, I'd rather give it to someone with a better offensive background.

ploto
06-23-2007, 02:01 PM
From what I've heard, if PJ goes to Seattle, Pop will give Newman the lead assistant job. However, I don't know if PJ's chances were helped by these quotes by Newman's agent.

What basically he's saying is that without PJ, the "kid" is nothing. Presti probably wants to form his own image instead of just being part of a package deal.

Now if Presti hires someone other than PJ, not only will PJ be pissed, Newman will be pissed because he lost out on getting a head coaching interview and a shot at being a lead assistant coach.

Why should Newmann assume he would get an interview in Seattle- just because of what Pop and RC said. His experience doesn't compare to the other candidates- like PJ and Rick. I even question why he would get the lead assistant job in SA- look at all the wonderful development he has produced in the big men these past 2 years! :lol

Whoever hears publicly from an assistant coach's agent anyway. Pop won't be happy. And Sam surely has no interest in someone telling him what to do, especially when PJ is not his first choice.

As to Rick Carlisle- someone asked a while back about their connection. I do not know if anyone ever posted this:

If it weren't for Carlisle, says a source, Presti's value may still be unappreciated by executive VP/coach Gregg Popovich and senior VP/GM R.C. Buford. San Antonio's principal savants.

During the 2000-01 season, when Carlisle was out of coaching (leaving Indiana's sidelines when Larry Bird did), he spent some of his time TV commentating on Sonics games. In his free time, Carlisle attended several NBA camps, practices, whatever, the Spurs' more than most. And while there he discovered how much Presti, 26, had going for him.

"When Rick got hired by the Pistons he asked Pop if he could take Sam with him," the source disclosed. "That's when Pop and R.C. started to look at Sam differently."

Armed with the leverage of being wanted elsewhere, Presti soon after received a promotion and all the accoutrements. Think he might feel he owes Carlisle?

ggoose25
06-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I think Pop knew exactly what he had in Sam, he just didn't want anyone else to know.

LaMarcus Bryant
06-23-2007, 02:11 PM
LOL
this is the type of stuff that makes spurstalk so classic.

timvp
06-23-2007, 03:53 PM
PJ > Newman
Carlisle > Newman

ChumpDumper
06-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I even question why he would get the lead assistant job in SA- look at all the wonderful development he has produced in the big men these past 2 years! They're playing like $2 and $3 million NBA big men -- just like Rasho.

ShoogarBear
06-23-2007, 04:30 PM
:lmao, we should have a contest: Make A Thread That Ploto Can't Twist Into A Rasho One

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-23-2007, 07:14 PM
:lmao, we should have a contest: Make A Thread That Ploto Can't Twist Into A Rasho One

#NULL!

SRJ
06-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Hello.....Newman.

spurscenter
06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
i didnt knwo the presti slash carlisle connection

it makes sense to hire rick now i would if i was sam, if RIck was the one that got sam all those promotions indirectly